• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubyab60

And a lot of folks still thinking Bryant is gonna come in a make this a bowl team. With the OL the way it is. Good luck with that.

Morris should be looking for on OL coaxh and possibly an OC

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: game on on November 18, 2018, 12:48:00 pm
Program is really in bad shape. The talent level is obviously down but more than that there is not much motivation and the new staff has struggled to get the team to show improvement and do get them to play in a disciplined manner.  The likelihood of a 2-10 season is daunting and now the question must be answered, is the new head coach and staff capable of turning Arkansas football around?  I think the fan base is split right now with whether or not we have the right coach in place.  It's a given that Coach Morris stepped into a mess but right now it appears the problems are getting worse and he is having difficulty getting any improvement to stick. The program was bad when he took over but it appears to have gotten worse.  The improvement we need to see is in wins and losses. Next season his new recruits will have a huge task coming in and getting some real improvement made.  Last year Arkansas won 4 games under a guy we fired, we will probably win only 2 under the guy hired to fix it.  Next season we need a big jump in not just wins but some wins against a few more of the quality teams on this list.  Portland State,  Colorado State, San Jose State,  all should be easy home victories to give the home crowd, (which has to be revived after this season and the terrible attendance) at least 3 wins and some encouragement.  Ole Miss in game two will be an opportunity for a road win, not easy but possible.  Hog fans could see  4 wins before the schedule begins to toughen up.  At that point we might possibly suffer 5 straight losses, A&M, KY, Auburn, Alabama, Miss ST., followed by Western KY that should be another victory.  Close out the season with LSU and Missouri may be two losses but certainly depends on how much real progress the team can make.  Should be 4 wins if we don't get a win over Ole Miss,  5 victories if we beat Ole Miss.  So with competent play and coaching and a few breaks we need to come up with one more win to get bowl eligible. 
The number grows to 6 if we can beat KY which is sort of one dimensional and not likely to be as strong next season.
Date   Opponent
Aug. 31   Portland State
Sept. 7   at Ole Miss
Sept. 14   Colorado State
Sept. 21   San Jose State
Sept. 28   vs. Texas A&M (Arlington)
Oct. 12   at Kentucky
Oct. 19   Auburn
Oct. 26   at Alabama
Nov. 2   Mississippi State
Nov. 9   Western Kentucky
Nov. 23   at LSU
Nov. 30   Missouri (Little Rock)
Next season looks to be much like this season.  With another year of some soft opponents at home there will be opportunities for improvement that translate into wins.  We should be better in the new coaches second season and with new players signed we should see some more wins.  I'd say anything less than 4 is an absolute disaster with 4 being sort of a minimum.  Getting to 6 wins would be a big boost for fans because of the opportunity to get to a bowl game.  More wins and that would be a mark of improvement for sure and an indication that Morris is on the right road.  Maybe not the fast lane but at least pulling onto the hi-way.  Less than 6 wins and it will be better than this year but a disappointment none the less. 

I don't think we were 2-10 bad as far as talent.  Lots of things go into wins, talent, scheme, effort, coaching, motivation, and more.  I saw the deer in the headlight look in Morris' eyes a few too many times during the season to think things are going along fine.  I'm sure he will be here next year and maybe even for at least two years.  I think he needs some help on his staff.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

I think bringing Craddock in instantly was a bad idea... He's only been coaching for like 3 years in the American and throwing him into the SEC with the players that are there doesn't help. I think he should have stayed at SMU until Morris gets more of his guys in

RZback

November 24, 2018, 03:24:51 pm #1103 Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 03:38:47 pm by RZback
Quote from: PokeyRedskinStudentScout on November 23, 2018, 06:46:39 pm
I think bringing Craddock in instantly was a bad idea... He's only been coaching for like 3 years in the American and throwing him into the SEC with the players that are there doesn't help. I think he should have stayed at SMU until Morris gets more of his guys in

Agreed, at least as the OC.  Surely he would have come to be a receiver coach for a while.  Of course, Morris only has 3 years HC experience in college ball and that was at SMU.  I think he brought several of his staff from there.
When you look at the staff, very young and not much experience as on the field position coaches at the college level particularly on the offensive side of the ball.  More age and experience on defense, maybe because Chavis brought some of his picks with him. 

game on

November 24, 2018, 04:40:07 pm #1104 Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:23:31 pm by game on
Recruiting talent will help but I agree youth and inexperience may be part of the problem at the competitive level they are now playing.
With a large part of the key position coaches on offense with little coaching experience there is a serious lack of college experience, and coaching experience for an SEC school.
I saw some posts questioning decision making by Morris, I think this is just another case of poor decisions

game on

So here we go again.  Another fresh start.
Lot of things to watch closely in the next few months.  Recruiting of course is huge, also transfers both in and out.  The more that leave the more we can bring in and that is critical.  I'd also say will there be any changes in staff.  We got worse not better with time.  Will the discipline in the team improve.  That may not show up for a while, maybe not until next fall before we know for sure.
I think its also important to have high expectations and not to settle for moral victories or "playing better"  we need to see wins.  Winning fixes most things.

bdubyab60

No matter how many leave. 29 is the number we can bring in. 25 to count to this year and 4 to count back to last year.

63 returning players so 22 open spots. So we have a few still to go to free up those 7 slots. Not sure how many we have already announce that they are transferring and not sure how some of the retirements and medical stuff counts against that number.

Valleysports

Arkansas got a whole lot of positive recognition in the LSU - A&M game.  Until that game Arkansas had been in the first and second highest scoring games? And won.. Lol

game on

I don't think anyone is looking at Arkansas' offense and thinking it was having a good year, in fact they got worse.  I will give you a point of two, in that every team makes a few positive plays along the way.  What really matters is the ability to put a game together and Hogs were not able to do that. 
For Arkansas to get good people are going to have to expect much better and hold the team and coaches accountable for delivering a much better product.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on November 26, 2018, 10:08:01 am
Arkansas got a whole lot of positive recognition in the LSU - A&M game.  Until that game Arkansas had been in the first and second highest scoring games? And won.. Lol
I've now watched 3 of the 5 longest games in NCAA history. The two Hogs games and this one. Some great games but I'm not sure how positive it was. Basically just some dates and names on the tv.

Only positive that may come is Morris landing this class I guess. Other than that it's on to basketball

game on

This class is an improvement but we have to get signees. I'm sure most if not all will sign.  However, we still sit at #16 nationally and #7 in SEC so getting to the top may not happen for a while if at all

bdubyab60

There isn't a lot of difference between say 5 and 20 in rankings. If it's done a a consistent basis.

Have to get a few good ones in a row, hope most of them hit and or develop. Once that depth is built up then of course it's coaching. And no matter how good you are you gotta have some breaks.

You know like. Instead of a game ending interception your QB was actual down and then your able to extend the game

Valleysports

Quote from: game on on November 26, 2018, 03:05:33 pm
This class is an improvement but we have to get signees. I'm sure most if not all will sign.  However, we still sit at #16 nationally and #7 in SEC so getting to the top may not happen for a while if at all

It's crazy that all seven SEC West teams are ranked Top 20, 2019 recruit  class.  And 3 are in the Top 5.  The SEC is the preferred conference of college recruits.  Why?  When is the SEC National Championship anyway? 

game on

SEC is the best conference in America and you can largely thank Alabama for that.  We have to win the games we should, the 4 weak sister non conference games, and at least 2 or 3 games against the weaker conference members, and then upset a couple of upper tier teams in conference.  That gets us to 8 or 9 a year.  That's harder than it seems but thats the only way to get it done.  We are a long way before getting there.
My concern as I have stated before is did we get the right HC, did he hire the best staff he could and how good of coaches are they as a group.

Valleysports

Well I went to looking at the recruiting and saw something about the  team I use as a future measuring tool.  lol  Red shirts!  I was wondering how this 4 game rule was going to workout.  13 of the 2018 class, including all 4 offensive linemen.  How did Arkansas make out on this new rule?  Maybe Morris held out Play Makers to go with his recruits?

game on

If he did we need to fire him today.  Having to endure the season we just did should not happen because he would rather lose so he could build for a possibility to do better next year.
I'm looking to signing day and see how we stand.  In particular I'm looking for a QB.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: game on on November 28, 2018, 01:57:16 pm
If he did we need to fire him today.  Having to endure the season we just did should not happen because he would rather lose so he could build for a possibility to do better next year.
I'm looking to signing day and see how we stand.  In particular I'm looking for a QB.

I don't think he had any Play Makers to hold out.
Anybody know why Cole Kelly didn't make the last couple of games?  Is he planning on leaving?

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on November 28, 2018, 03:53:32 pm
I don't think he had any Play Makers to hold out.
Anybody know why Cole Kelly didn't make the last couple of games?  Is he planning on leaving?
I heard Kelley and Hyatt plan on leaving but don't wanna make a big hubub by putting it out publicly

AirWarren

game on

Quote from: PokeyRedskinStudentScout on November 28, 2018, 04:18:25 pm
I heard Kelley and Hyatt plan on leaving but don't wanna make a big hubub by putting it out publicly

If true they knew they were done as far as playing time.  Kelley not a great loss, I think he burned his bridges all season long.  Don't really know much about Hyatt except he wasn't going to play either.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

And now it's official that Maleek Williams is transferring. Shame because I saw a lot in him but probably best for him because he would stay buried on the depth chart

bdubyab60

Read he had blocking issues. But still a shocker he didn't get more carries with the injuries we had

beach bum

Kelley Bryant to Mizzou ..... Honesty if his goal was to get to the NFL he made the right choice.

game on

It's really not surprising.  Mizzou is in better shape than UA for next year and I'm sure he is looking at the best season he can get.  Besides that you are seeing UA players leave and from the outside that may be alarming if you are thinking about coming in. 

beach bum

I got on the Pig Trail Nation social media page and went to the post about Bryant.... I must say I now have a great appreciation honestly for the people who post on this site. As much as we banter back and forth sometimes I have to say at least 95% of the people on here have a functioning brain and some smarts. The people on that page and their comments will make you question if we have the most ignorant fan base in the country. It was appalling the ignorant things being said on there and the obvious lack of knowing anything about football. At least here I am talking to civilized human beings.

game on

Quote from: beach bum on December 04, 2018, 09:38:46 pm
I got on the Pig Trail Nation social media page and went to the post about Bryant.... I must say I now have a great appreciation honestly for the people who post on this site. As much as we banter back and forth sometimes I have to say at least 95% of the people on here have a functioning brain and some smarts. The people on that page and their comments will make you question if we have the most ignorant fan base in the country. It was appalling the ignorant things being said on there and the obvious lack of knowing anything about football. At least here I am talking to civilized human beings.

Maybe this will help a few of those folks? 
civ·i·lize
/ˈsivəˌlīz/Submit
verb
past tense: civilized; past participle: civilized
bring (a place or people) to a stage of social, cultural, and moral development considered to be more advanced.
"a civilized society"
synonyms:   enlighten, edify, improve, educate, instruct, refine, cultivate, polish, socialize, humanize
"they were trying to civilize people who strongly resented the intrusion"
polite and well-mannered.
adjective: civilized; adjective: civilised
"such an affront to civilized behavior will no longer be tolerated"
synonyms:   polite, courteous, well mannered, civil, gentlemanly, ladylike, mannerly; More

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on December 04, 2018, 06:58:38 pm
Kelley Bryant to Mizzou ..... Honesty if his goal was to get to the NFL he made the right choice.

A blind man with no hearing could have predicted this.

game on

So no KB, who is next years likely QB?  This years starter or do you go with youth?  Do you go recruit a juco guy?  We need a guy who can make plays with his arm, his feet and his ability to run the offense.  If we don't have that we need to run some other system.

AirWarren

Quote from: game on on December 05, 2018, 01:34:19 pm
So no KB, who is next years likely QB?  This years starter or do you go with youth?  Do you go recruit a juco guy?  We need a guy who can make plays with his arm, his feet and his ability to run the offense.  If we don't have that we need to run some other system.

1. Try to land a grad transfer.
2. Dramatic and lengthy QB battle between Jefferson, Noland and Storey.

I believe that's what it comes down to.

game on

Quote from: AirWarren on December 05, 2018, 01:41:22 pm
1. Try to land a grad transfer.
2. Dramatic and lengthy QB battle between Jefferson, Noland and Storey.

I believe that's what it comes down to.

Right now that is what it is looking like.

bdubyab60

Will be some more options after bowl season, maybe.

With a decommit and this I'm hoping for an OL, RB or a LB flip from someone else.

Even if KB had come my expectations were still fairly low for next year.

RZback

I've not noticed any big time OL guys as potential signees.  Have I just missed them?
What is the early signing date and who do we think we are getting then?

WPWells

I heard a rumor that Mason Fine from North Texas (who torched us) might be looking to transfer.

AirWarren

Quote from: WPWells on December 06, 2018, 12:13:41 pm
I heard a rumor that Mason Fine from North Texas (who torched us) might be looking to transfer.

It's been circulated around on HV. So has a kid from Texas, Arizona, the kid at Alabama, a kid at OSU, Fine, and some other kid.

If's its on HV or social media, I easily assume it's a hot garbage rumor. Much like the speculation the few days before that considered Bryant an Arkansas lock because of a social media "post".

Ill believe it the moment it is released as official from the athletic department.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Now Chevin Calloway is transferring to be closer to home... His case was unfortunate because he was gonna be a big part of the defense's evolution

AirWarren

Quote from: PokeyRedskinStudentScout on December 06, 2018, 04:52:51 pm
Now Chevin Calloway is transferring to be closer to home... His case was unfortunate because he was gonna be a big part of the defense's evolution

Yeah, that guy was never rejoining the Razorbacks. I think pretty much everyone saw the writing on the wall.

bdubyab60

I never expected him back when he stepped away during the season. We need the space I'd rhey are signing 29. You'll always have some decommits as well.

I don't know who all is out there but we guys that can come in and be impact players sooner than later. Or this will for sure be another long year coming. May be any

Valleysports

I doubt any Arkansas Recruits flip, the big boys are looking to finish off their last few spots with play makers.

WPWells

Another 4-star receiver is going to be a Hog! That's the fourth 4-star receiver to go along with a 5-star TE. Now if we just have someone who can get them the ball...

AirWarren

Quote from: WPWells on December 07, 2018, 08:02:18 am
Another 4-star receiver is going to be a Hog! That's the fourth 4-star receiver to go along with a 5-star TE. Now if we just have someone who can get them the ball...

Who is this commit?

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Quote from: AirWarren on December 07, 2018, 08:37:06 am
Who is this commit?
I think he might be talking about TQ Jackson having his rating raised

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on December 06, 2018, 09:43:17 pm
I doubt any Arkansas Recruits flip, the big boys are looking to finish off their last few spots with play makers.
Im talking Morris flipping someone. Yes doubtful

Valleysports

December 07, 2018, 02:20:50 pm #1142 Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:47:00 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: WPWells on December 07, 2018, 08:02:18 am

So 5, of the 7 four star recruits, are receivers?  Boy Howdy that ought to do it..  Well we might do just as good with a 4 star receiver, at tackle, as we've been doing with Beilema Recruits..

RZback

Sounds like receivers are on board, who will get them the ball?  More importantly who is going to block?   What do the OL recruits look like for next season?

beach bum

December 07, 2018, 08:55:40 pm #1144 Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:09:32 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Valleysports on December 07, 2018, 02:20:50 pm
So 5, of the 7 four star recruits, are receivers?  Boy Howdy that ought to do it..  Well we might do just as good with a 4 star receiver, at tackle, as we've been doing with Beilema Recruits..

Honestly there is some merit to what you are saying that in my opinion sent Arkansas O Line and defense into a spiral starting back to the Petrino days and we never recovered. Does anyone remember when Bobby Petrino started having absurd amounts of WR's on scholarship towards the end of things. Yea we had some unreal WR's in his time here. I am talking special WR's during that stretch who fueled the winning. However, he recruited so many that it left the cupboard empty in the trenches and other positions. There has to be balance in the recruiting and we aren't doing that. Only skill guys on the outside.

The majority of the recruits we are getting are outside skill guys on both sides of the ball. That is not going to do it long term, and makes me question Chad Morris. I think he is so full of himself and his offense that he thinks he is just going to eventually start outscoring people 52-49..... I am sorry it does not work that way in the SEC. This is not the Big 12. He is recruiting as if we play in the Big 12. Is he telling us something we don't know that we are moving there or what? Cause I don't care how many 4 star DB's and WR's we get. SEC games are won in the trenches. Heck, Mississippi State is a flat out average team at most positions the last couple years and won games cause they have depth at D Line to keep them in games. Their QB couldn't  even throw and their line on both sides keeps them in games though.

bdubyab60

Valleysports

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 08, 2018, 04:01:01 pm
Think I counted 9 DL in this class so far

The biggest problem, as far as Arkansas gaining ground in conference, is that the SEC West is just rediculous in recruiting.  When we start getting recruits, other SEC West Teams are interested in, then we'll be in the mix.  Arkansas has quite a few small town stars, makes me nervous..  Big News: y'all do have an OT from my Alumn (Tyler, Lee), might just help me say "We" instead of "Y'all" - LOL.

nuttinbuthogs

It's not just the number of recruits at OL/DL it's the quality of those recruits.  I hear we aren't getting the quality that we need.

bdubyab60

The DL guys are mostly 3* I believe but some are close to 4*. Hopefully some of them are better than their grade. Much need depth though.

The OL that I've looked at though truthfully leaves much to be desired. Hopefully next class Morris dedicates to getting some OL

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on December 10, 2018, 08:12:59 am
The biggest problem, as far as Arkansas gaining ground in conference, is that the SEC West is just rediculous in recruiting.  When we start getting recruits, other SEC West Teams are interested in, then we'll be in the mix.  Arkansas has quite a few small town stars, makes me nervous..  Big News: y'all do have an OT from my Alumn (Tyler, Lee), might just help me say "We" instead of "Y'all" - LOL.
Its uphill for sure. But hey look at this receiver core coming in

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas