• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

History books

Started by SMC, April 21, 2009, 12:33:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SMC

We need a thread about good history books.

I read 1776 not long back, and before that I read Paris 1919 (about the end of WWI).

Any recommendations? Especially if you have any about colonial America or European history. Specifically I'd like to find a good book about the French Revolution.

SandLizard04

Check out The Metaphysical Club. I LOVE that book.

Another good one I had to read for a class last year was "Pane e Vino," about WWII Italy.

The Reality is back...

"Lies my Teacher told me" is a good one.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on April 21, 2009, 02:03:01 am

I have a copy of that, but I can't find it.

The South Was Right is always high on my history list, and I went through a period of high school when I was a CW junkie.  Memoirs of R.E. Lee, several general collections of the war, and even found the memoir of Raphael Semmes (Memoirs of Service Afloat), who was admiral of the CSS Alabama.

Right now I'm on an alternate history kick - am reading this book called What If? 2, in that series.  Stuff like what if FDR had been assassinated in 1933, America invaded Japan in 1945 instead of dropping atomic bombs, that sort of thing.

The Reality is back...

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 22, 2009, 12:10:40 am
Quote from: Agent of Chaos on April 21, 2009, 02:03:01 am

I have a copy of that, but I can't find it.

The South Was Right is always high on my history list, and I went through a period of high school when I was a CW junkie.  Memoirs of R.E. Lee, several general collections of the war, and even found the memoir of Raphael Semmes (Memoirs of Service Afloat), who was admiral of the CSS Alabama.

Right now I'm on an alternate history kick - am reading this book called What If? 2, in that series.  Stuff like what if FDR had been assassinated in 1933, America invaded Japan in 1945 instead of dropping atomic bombs, that sort of thing.

There is a really funny mockumentary called "CSA: Confederate States of America", about what it would be like if the South won, which includes an awesome scene of Lincoln in blackface trying to escape to canada.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on April 22, 2009, 12:13:28 am

There is a really funny mockumentary called "CSA: Confederate States of America", about what it would be like if the South won, which includes an awesome scene of Lincoln in blackface trying to escape to canada.

Never got to see it.

There's also a novel by that same title that's really good.  Guy named Howard Means wrote it.

The Reality is back...

I think you'd get a kick out of it. It was very funny.

True Believer

IT played in Memphis at Studio on the Square. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas