• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayetteville (was) Open EDIT: Casey Dick hired

Started by Brian G, April 15, 2019, 04:16:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

April 15, 2019, 04:16:18 pm Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:08:44 pm by B.G.
Coach Dawson has resigned to go into private business.  He was at FHS for 2 years.

RabidWolf

STUNNA

fbhound

April 15, 2019, 06:12:52 pm #3 Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:14:33 pm by fbhound
Quote from: B.G. on April 15, 2019, 04:16:18 pm
Coach Dawson has resigned to go into private business.  He was at FHS for 2 years.
Must be some private business to pay him more than his great salary at FHS. Sure is late for another domino effect to be happening and one wonders just how good a search can happen this late with all the potential moving that occurs and hurting the school a coach might come from and forcing them to get a new coach quickly too. Smaller classification schools suffer more, so my thoughts are that FHS will pursue someone in 6A or 7A football, although there are a couple of good coaches in 5A and 4A close by that have a great 7A experience and with playoff experience. Interesting. Just wonder if FHS will again go OUT of state to get an Oklahoma coach. Look what happened last time. You know that well, B.G....

STBruin

Am hearing he wanted to hire his son, superintendent said no...he resigned...

beach bum

Quote from: STBruin on April 15, 2019, 08:08:37 pm
Am hearing he wanted to hire his son, superintendent said no...he resigned...

If this is the case good for Fayetteville... guys ego has always been insane and he thinks way too highly of himself

beach bum

Quote from: RabidWolf on April 15, 2019, 05:14:22 pm
Back to preaching?

Did you just  admit church is a business? Since BG said he is leaving for private business...

beach bum

Poor Dawson couldnt handle being the totalitarian figure like when at a small school... sucks actually having checks and balances at a larger district doesnt it?

HSFBF

Quote from: beach bum on April 15, 2019, 08:27:29 pm
If this is the case good for Fayetteville... guys ego has always been insane and he thinks way too highly of himself
Ditto. Some coaches need to come down to earth for a change.

Brian G

He did a good job at FHS. I got to know him and really liked him.  Was very good with our athletes and overall support of the school.

Baitshop

Billy Dawson leaves a job after only two years...who would have ever saw that coming..??..??

*sarcasm off*

Having said that, DixiePrep's first name for new HC at FHS.....Rick Jones.

Walter

Rick's name always comes up for new openings.

Coach9586

2nd coming of Patton...? Been hearing since the end of football season he wants to get back to 7a

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: beach bum on April 15, 2019, 08:27:29 pm

I only had one face to face (albeit it brief) with him at a 7 on 7 tourney years ago, and if first impressions are of any value, I agree with your assessment of his self image.

Redwolves8526

Hope they don't go out of state for this one

OB11

Anyone on staff that would take over?

7AFball

Bet Zak Clark would like to go to a "one High School" town. He has coached at Fay in the past, even as OC I think.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: 7AFball on April 16, 2019, 10:37:32 am
Bet Zak Clark would like to go to a "one High School" town. He has coached at Fay in the past, even as OC I think.
Plus he is a Purple Dog alum. FV has to look for stability with this hire. This will be their 4th coach in 5 seasons so they should look for someone who wants to be there for a long time. IMO it is the premier HC job in the state.

airitout

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on April 16, 2019, 10:46:25 am
Plus he is a Purple Dog alum. FV has to look for stability with this hire. This will be their 4th coach in 5 seasons so they should look for someone who wants to be there for a long time. IMO it is the premier HC job in the state.

+100

purpleswag

beaverfan007

Doubt Patton is coming back to Fayetteville although if he did he could throw the ball more

urhog

April 16, 2019, 02:10:45 pm #21 Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:33:09 pm by urhog
fadetoback

YoungThunder

April 16, 2019, 02:57:50 pm #22 Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 03:02:18 pm by YoungThunder
Bolding from Parkview?
Any good assistant coaches that could be a sleeper that would be in the mix as well?

I can't help but to wonder what's going on in Fayetteville to cause head coaches to leave there?  looking for coach number 4 in how many years? When did Patton leave and I know Blankenship was only there for 1 year wasn't he? Now, Dawson leaves after two years.

ricepig

Quote from: YoungThunder on April 16, 2019, 02:57:50 pm
Bolding from Parkview?
Any good assistant coaches that could be a sleeper that would be in the mix as well?

I can't help but to wonder what's going on in Fayetteville to cause head coaches to leave there?  looking for coach number 4 in how many years? When did Patton leave and I know Blankenship was only there for 1 year wasn't he? Now, Dawson leaves after two years.

It's the stale Oreos leftover to eat......

Brian G

Quote from: ricepig on April 16, 2019, 03:24:48 pm
Solid contribution.

But Oreo's never go stale.  They are just 'fresher' sometimes.

For those asking, I'm out of this loop.  I think it jumped off so fast and at the moment it's pretty wide open.

I think it will an interesting hiring and some of the usual names that always apply here will likely come up again.  I think FHS has been lucky and unlucky with recent hirings.  I don't think you can pinpoint each one to a common theme.  Staff has turned over in recent years and seems unlikely to me the hiring comes from within.  But I truly do not know.

Definitely a great job.  We will see how it unfolds.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on April 16, 2019, 03:38:52 pm
Solid contribution.

But Oreo's never go stale.  They are just 'fresher' sometimes.

For those asking, I'm out of this loop.  I think it jumped off so fast and at the moment it's pretty wide open.

I think it will an interesting hiring and some of the usual names that always apply here will likely come up again.  I think FHS has been lucky and unlucky with recent hirings.  I don't think you can pinpoint each one to a common theme.  Staff has turned over in recent years and seems unlikely to me the hiring comes from within.  But I truly do not know.

Definitely a great job.  We will see how it unfolds.

Well, Oreos never go stale at my house, they don't last long enough. Maybe he got tired of the traffic on MLK, lol, it does seem to be worse every time I'm in town. As you said, it's a great job, I bet there will be lots of candidates.

7AFball

April 16, 2019, 04:41:09 pm #26 Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:40:39 pm by 7AFball
Quote from: YoungThunder on April 16, 2019, 02:57:50 pm
Bolding from Parkview?

As mentioned here by others, some upper level HCs feel like they are above being told what to do by administrators etc, as long as they have a winning record every year. Times are changing with regard to that concept. Nuff said.

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

Who in the area would be a likely candidate?

Coach Clark? What about the Elkins coach who joined on?
I don't really see Coach Adams or Coach Abshier leaving. Nor Conaway. Has anybody else around had enough success to get a look?
Lunney Jr?

Baitshop

Quote from: Walter on April 16, 2019, 08:11:43 am
Rick's name always comes up for new openings.

The difference now being that CRJ appears to be ready to move on....

FWIW, Fayetteville may not be far enough north for his next move.

Brian G

Quote from: Baitshop on April 16, 2019, 08:34:28 pm
The difference now being that CRJ appears to be ready to move on....

FWIW, Fayetteville may not be far enough north for his next move.
Heritage job is filled.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: B.G. on April 15, 2019, 09:01:36 pm
He did a good job at FHS. I got to know him and really liked him.  Was very good with our athletes and overall support of the school.
He's proved he is a very good coach he may hop around a lot but he wins and it's ok for him to know he's a good coach

7AFball

April 17, 2019, 08:34:20 am #31 Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:08:38 pm by 7AFball
Quote from: B.G. on April 16, 2019, 08:54:43 pm
Heritage job is filled.
Yep.   Got someone all the way from the Jackson and Brownsville, Tennessee area. 96 wins in 12 years at two places. Wonder if he just applied after reading about the job opening or was he pursued by Heritage because of someone who knew someone who knew him?

ADDENDUM:  Today's ADG has a good, concise article of the new football HC at Heritage. Seems like a good hire. Played FB at Ohio Univ and has family in the northwest AR area ...  7A FB in AR is a step up from TN 4A level of play..  He will do well I think.. Time will tell.

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over on April 16, 2019, 07:31:47 pm
Who in the area would be a likely candidate?

Coach Clark? What about the Elkins coach who joined on?
I don't really see Coach Adams or Coach Abshier leaving. Nor Conaway. Has anybody else around had enough success to get a look?
Lunney Jr?

Mike Adams had his chance 20 years ago.

clarkcounty

Quote from: 7AFball on April 17, 2019, 08:34:20 am
Yep.   Got someone all the way from the Jackson and Brownsville, Tennessee area. 96 wins in 12 years at two places. Wonder if he just applied after reading about the job opening or was he pursued by Heritage because of someone who knew someone who knew him?

ADDENDUM:  Today's ADG has a good, concise article of the new football HC at Heritage. Seems like a good hire. Played FB at Ohio Univ and has family in the northwest AR area ... This is a big step up from 1A football in Tennessee... He will do well I think.. Time will tell.

Coach Hookfin was at a 4A school in Tennessee. I think it read that the girls' basketball coach had been the 1A coach.

7AFball

April 17, 2019, 12:10:01 pm #34 Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:24:17 pm by 7AFball
Quote from: clarkcounty on April 17, 2019, 11:21:07 am
Coach Hookfin was at a 4A school in Tennessee. I think it read that the girls' basketball coach had been the 1A coach.
I stand corrected. I did get confused with the BB coach's resume in the ADG.. TU. Made correction in my post. Thank you for making me aware of my error. Sure is late talking about so many football coach changes going on THIS late in the year, especially involving higher classifications. Still have a quick Fayetteville search to go and then another very quick search for the school where he comes from. The domino effect keeps on getting later and later each year...

YoungThunder

Quote from: ricepig on April 16, 2019, 03:24:48 pm

I guess that tends to happen. Maybe they should go after a young coach who wants to make a name for himself and give someone a chance with no head coaching experience? So far with them going after a certain type of  coach it's not really working well for them. Its a good program to be over but I guess people have their own reasons to leave, it just seems like there some red flags with this job due to looking for a new coach again.

7AFball

Perhaps Fayetteville also needs to choose their Superintendents with a bit more in depth searches? All board members of all schools need to scrutinize coach AND administrative hires, from assistant Principals up through the Super positions and also from assistant coach hires up through OC/DC and HC positions. Things are not as simple as a couple of decades ago. A sign of changing times. I feel sorry for Fay fans who want stability and it seems to be slow in coming.  :-\  There may be a coach from 3A to 6A who could lead Fay, but that could be a slap in the face of Fay assistants who might want to move up to the HC position and have paid their dues for years, just waiting for the time to move up. Gonna be interesting for sure!!  :)

mharris31696

Just throwing a name out there, Billy Elmore in West Memphis. Hes moved around and up in classifications in the past 10 or so years. 

athletic supporter

Quote from: mharris31696 on April 18, 2019, 01:36:27 pm
Just throwing a name out there, Billy Elmore in West Memphis. Hes moved around and up in classifications in the past 10 or so years. 

He would be a great hire

Brian G

I would not be stunned to see a sitting HC with a state title emerge as a lead candidate.

Rob Van Winkle

Is the move KK has been waiting for?

HSFBF

Quote from: B.G. on April 18, 2019, 02:52:15 pm
I would not be stunned to see a sitting HC with a state title emerge as a lead candidate.

Agree with you and it might not be a 7A or 6A coach. Lot of good coaches in 2A-5A who are winners, know how to mold young men and get them to play hard on every play and play as a "team" member and not to be an "egotist" player. I know of one coach who sat on the bench a premium, talented player who ended up in DI college ball and did so because team members were upset with the athlete's "ego" attitude. The end result was the big dog tamed his attitude and the team played harder and won 11 games that year. Many ex-players came back yearly to tell the coach "thank you" for molding the team and not submitting to the "elite player"...  :)

In 6A-7A ball with so many players on the squad, a head coach can get by with some things that a smaller classification coach can't take a chance on. But those who do, especially in 2A - 4A, can often end up with a stronger, smaller team that wins big almost every year. With dozens of scenarios out there, the school board has to be able to see through an applicant's interview and choose correctly. Sometimes it is just a "good gut feeling", and I have been on selection committees many, many years ago! LOL
Again, Fayetteville needs to do some deep thinking on this HC matter.... NOW!

urhog

April 18, 2019, 04:59:13 pm #42 Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:43:17 pm by urhog
Quote from: B.G. on April 18, 2019, 02:52:15 pm
Same Mascot?

Michiganhog

beaverfan007

I don't think billy Elmore would leave West Memphis this late in the year

Baitshop

Quote from: beaverfan007 on April 19, 2019, 01:08:56 pm
I don’t think billy Elmore would leave West Memphis this late in the year

Have you been to both West Memphis and Fayetteville..??..??..??

I can't imagine any day of the year that I wouldn't leave West Memphis to move to Fayetteville....

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: Baitshop on April 19, 2019, 02:08:54 pm

I can't imagine any day of the year that I wouldn't leave West Memphis to move to Fayetteville....

Opening day at Southland?

beach bum

Quote from: Baitshop on April 19, 2019, 02:08:54 pm

Lol harsh, but true.

Brian G

I think FHS is moving along nicely with this hiring.    I expect it to not take a long time.  Interest obviously high. 

beaverfan007

He might leave Fayetteville but I think he's got a state title coming at West Memphis I guess $$$ talks

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas