• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Harrison vs. Alma

Started by GOBbledygook, January 27, 2011, 04:14:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GOBbledygook

Thoughts on this game? I think it will either go one of two ways - it's going to be a fight to the death. Or Harrison will be left in the rear view mirror. It being at the spook house could prove interesting for Alma. Especially after their recent blow out against SS.

birdseye00

This wont be a game, Alma by 20. McCoy scores 25.

Go Postal

This should be a great game at the halfway mark with Alma wanting to keep their winning streak and Harrison wanting to be the ones to stop it.  I will enjoy seeing McCoy playing bball, having watched him play in football, a great athlete.  My son (Class of 2010) always had great things to say about him, when he was against him in football.  We will be there rooting for a Goblin win.  The best luck to both teams and may there be a great game.  Alma players and fans have a safe trip to The Spook House and back home.

GO GOBLINS

IntheStands

If we were ever going to get the home advantage on some calls this season tomorrow night needs to be the night, Alma is going to be tough enough without having 8 players on the court.  I think the first half will be close, its the 3rd quarter that scares me, I think halfway through the 3rd we will know the outcome of the game.  Harrison needs to keep a fresh defender on McCoy throughout the night, I would almost face guard him and make the rest of the team beat you if they can.

rjrose

From what i understand they can all shoot.  they are a dangerous team.  However, i am with you on not letting McCoy beat us.  Go Gobs!

Go Postal

Quote from: rjrose on January 27, 2011, 10:46:37 pm
From what i understand they can all shoot.  they are a dangerous team.  However, i am with you on not letting McCoy beat us.  Go Gobs!
The pressure on the Goblins is not to lose to at the Spook House to a dangerous team and break the Airdales winning streak.  But I think the greater pressure is on the Airdales, to not stop their winning streak and win their 1st away game against the top 4.  Should be a great game.

IntheStands

Man I can't wait for tomorrow night, I hope it's another wild one.

AB™

Quote from: IntheStands on January 27, 2011, 10:42:29 pm
If we were ever going to get the home advantage on some calls this season tomorrow night needs to be the night, Alma is going to be tough enough without having 8 players on the court.  I think the first half will be close, its the 3rd quarter that scares me, I think halfway through the 3rd we will know the outcome of the game.  Harrison needs to keep a fresh defender on McCoy throughout the night, I would almost face guard him and make the rest of the team beat you if they can.

It being on the road may make this completely different, but Alma does have several players more than capable of stepping up if McCoy is kept in check.  Against Huntsville our two sophomores, Gage Jense and Brock Widders, and junior Dee Candelria took over, getting to the hole at will.  McCoy came in after resting the first 3 or 4 minutes and finished Huntsville off. 

Candelria is the best three point shooter of the group but Widders and Jensen can hi the three ball as well. 

And can someone please tell me the correct way to spell Candelria?  I know I'm butchering it.

Go Postal

AB, nothing against the Airedales and maybe I'm wrong, But I heard that Trumbo and Coates from Huntsville fouled out in the 3rd?  Didn't you say during that game that those boys and team doesn't miss, much?  They played very great at home against us.  I was like you, Wow, can they miss a shot?

highflyer

Quote from: Go Postal on January 27, 2011, 11:19:49 pm
AB, nothing against the Airedales and maybe I'm wrong, But I heard that Trumbo and Coates from Huntsville fouled out in the 3rd?  Didn't you say during that game that those boys and team doesn't miss, much?  They played very great at home against us.  I was like you, Wow, can they miss a shot?

They didnt fould out but they both picked up their 4th foul in the 3rd.

BillyJack™

Quote from: AB™ on January 27, 2011, 11:09:01 pmAnd can someone please tell me the correct way to spell Candelria?  I know I'm butchering it.
Candaleria

GOBbledygook

I've seen Huntsville play 4 times this season. It really seems like they can't miss. Alma at Huntsville will be a huge game. Huntsville has a lot of home cookin' on top of the insane 3 percentage.

As for tonights game - as I said before I think it could be a close game or just the opposite. I don't think we'll see 6 point loss. It's either going to be 1 point or 25. Both teams are going to come out swinging. Harrison as the potential to beat them, they have too much depth. Like ITS stated - we could use a little ref advantage tonight. But I also don't want at the end of the game for the Alma fans to say the refs won it for Harrison. If Harrison can be hot on both their good inside/outside game the final score will be in Harrison's favor.

ahsalum

I would almost face guard him and make the rest of the team beat you if they can.

Siloam tried that.

Siloam was wrong.

IntheStands

They didnt sound like they did it well, how many points did he put up against them.

BillyJack™

Not sure how many points Mac put up (the lions share I'm sure) , but outscoring them was by far more contributed to not being able to get around Alma's defense than it was a score fest. By the 2nd half, the Panthers were fouling, walking, anything they could do to get around and under, but all to no avail.

NOV_CLASSIC58

Quote from: AB™ on January 27, 2011, 11:09:01 pm
Against Siloam I'm pretty sure every player that plays scored, McCoy with 21, Peters with 17, Candelaria with 11, Widders with 8 and so on so forth. Everybody on the floor for Alma can score, but keeping McCoy in check will help.
It being on the road may make this completely different, but Alma does have several players more than capable of stepping up if McCoy is kept in check.  Against Huntsville our two sophomores, Gage Jense and Brock Widders, and junior Dee Candelria took over, getting to the hole at will.  McCoy came in after resting the first 3 or 4 minutes and finished Huntsville off. 

Candelria is the best three point shooter of the group but Widders and Jensen can hi the three ball as well. 

And can someone please tell me the correct way to spell Candelria?  I know I'm butchering it.

NOV_CLASSIC58

Against Siloam I'm pretty sure every player that plays scored, McCoy with 21, Peters with 17, Candelaria with 11, Widders with 8 and so on so forth. Everybody on the floor for Alma can score, but keeping McCoy in check will help.

sevenof400

Harrison will need to step up their level of play from Tuesday to be sure.  If Harrison wants any chance at the 5A West title, this is a must game for them.  A loss here and Harrison finds itself 3 games back of Alma in the loss column starting the 2nd half of the conference schedule and facing a trip to Alma. 

Harrison's height could give Alma some fits though.   

Should be a fun game to watch.   

AB™

Quote from: HackerHog on January 28, 2011, 07:15:16 pm
Harrison girls put a complete game together in a huge win over Alma.

Harrison 63, Alma 52

Crowd is already electric.  Harrison even has the band on hand to give the Spook House a Bud Walton Arena feel.

I swear our girls have two completely different teams.  One that plays on the road and one that plays at home. 

Keep us updated on the boys game.

AB™

Quote from: HackerHog on January 28, 2011, 08:12:00 pm
Blake McNair stealing the show from Isaac McCoy in hitting a 3 at the buzzer to put Gobs up 47-24 at the half.

McCoy with only 1 bucket but 10 points.

McNair with 19 (4 3's), Colliver-8, Rose-7, Andreson 7, Martin-6

Down 23 at the half?  Wow.  Looks like Alma is on their way to their first conference loss.

AB™

I give up trying to figure this conference out.

ahsalum

Just got home and turned on the radio.

Have I missed something.

I agree with you AB. Can't figure this conference out either.

sevenof400

Is the ride from Alma to Harrison that bad?

Go Postal

Alma did not seem to be clicking as a team tonight.  I don't know if it was the long trip here or just the good old Spook House mojo, but WOW, The Goblins were on FIRE tonight, from the outside to the inside.  I kept asking my son, "Am I seeing the score right?"   ;D  Great Job, Lady Goblins and Golden Goblins!  We are halfway through conference play.  I agree with AB, I just can't figure this conference out, but I guess that's why we love all sports in the 5A West.

Widders23

Worst game us Airedales have played all year. Not 3's in the first half... while we are arguably the bestt 3 point shooting team in the conference. On the other hand harrison did not miss! I'll give it to them, great shooting. Be ready to come to Alma.

backatyou

goblinette

backatyou

what was the score at the end of 3

backatyou

Sorry must have read over it

PantherFan22

Haha Alma Who  ??? 

Ya Harrison is the real deal, every one said Harrison couldn't beat Alma. If they did play good they wouldn't blow them out... Well look at the score!! Harrison is here to play and stay.

AB™

Quote from: PantherFan22 on January 28, 2011, 09:51:56 pm
Haha Alma Who  ??? 

Ya Harrison is the real deal, every one said Harrison couldn't beat Alma. If they did play good they wouldn't blow them out... Well look at the score!! Harrison is here to play and stay.

Your screename says "Pantherfan" which leads me to believe you're either a Greenbrier or Siloam fan.  Alma beat Greenbrier by double digits without McCoy and beat Siloam by 40.  Not sure you have any room to be saying "haha Alma who??"

If that's not the case and the Pantherfan screename is for the Carolina Panthers, Florida Panthers, or for some other Panthers, then I apologize.

PantherFan22

RJ How did alex look tonight??? Ya its joel

GOBbledygook

Proud of both gobs teams tonight. They showed what Harrison is made of when they play as a team. Hope to see more of that the rest of the season!

Bergman1820

Quote from: AB™ on January 28, 2011, 10:10:51 pm
Haha Alma Who  ??? 

Your screename says "Pantherfan" which leads me to believe you're either a Greenbrier or Siloam fan.  Alma beat Greenbrier by double digits without McCoy and beat Siloam by 40.  Not sure you have any room to be saying "haha Alma who??"

If that's not the case and the Pantherfan screename is for the Carolina Panthers, Florida Panthers, or for some other Panthers, then I apologize.

Could be the Bergman Panthers.

AB™

Quote from: vstigerz on January 28, 2011, 10:31:11 pm
Quote from: AB™ on January 28, 2011, 10:10:51 pm
Haha Alma Who  ??? 

Could be the Bergman Panthers.

That would make sense and would explain the excitement about a Harrison win.

Pantherfan, I apologize.

oldtimer

Different color panther! Not Bergman....

Bergman1820

Quote from: oldtimer on January 28, 2011, 10:57:25 pm
Different color panther! Not Bergman....

How about a green Yellville-Summit Panther?

rjrose

Quote from: PantherFan22 on January 28, 2011, 10:11:27 pm
RJ How did alex look tonight??? Ya its joel
He had a pretty good game.  The whole team did.  Not like we looked against you guys down there.  We were back to playing like we did the first part of the year.  thanks for asking.  I think he had 10 points tonight and several assists.  it was a great team effort with everyone contributing.  blake had 19 points.  he was hot.

oldtimer

I am proud of Alex, John, and Blake. Maybe Harrison will make a run now!

GOBbledygook

Quote from: oldtimer on January 28, 2011, 11:22:31 pm
I am proud of Alex, John, and Blake. Maybe Harrison will make a run now!

;D

PantherFan22

Quote from: rjrose on January 28, 2011, 11:05:36 pm
RJ How did Alex look tonight??? Ya its Joel
He had a pretty good game.  The whole team did.  Not like we looked against you guys down there.  We were back to playing like we did the first part of the year.  thanks for asking.  I think he had 10 points tonight and several assists.  it was a great team effort with everyone contributing.  Blake had 19 points.  he was hot.
Well that's good... Who do y'all play next??
And Alma is a great team but every one said Harrison is going to get killed or barley beat them... i think they need to look at the score again

AB™

Quote from: PantherFan22 on January 29, 2011, 12:07:29 am
Quote from: rjrose on January 28, 2011, 11:05:36 pm
RJ How did Alex look tonight??? Ya its Joel
He had a pretty good game.  The whole team did.  Not like we looked against you guys down there.  We were back to playing like we did the first part of the year.  thanks for asking.  I think he had 10 points tonight and several assists.  it was a great team effort with everyone contributing.  Blake had 19 points.  he was hot.
Well that's good... Who do y'all play next??
And Alma is a great team but every one said Harrison is going to get killed or barley beat them... i think they need to look at the score again

I recall only one poster saying that, and it was a Harrison fan.  I'm an Alma fan and us losing to Harrison at Harrison doesn't surprise me.  Getting mercy ruled surprises me, but I wasn't saying Alma would blow Harrison out or Harrison would barely win.

GOBbledygook

As I said before - if Harrison starts playing like they did the first half of the season, they would be a team to be reckoned with for the rest of the conference. That team showed up last night. Martin had no trouble shutting McCoy down. And kudos to the boys coming off the bench last night, Andreson had a heck of a game.

backatyou

Quote from: AB™ on January 28, 2011, 07:28:39 pm
Quote from: HackerHog on January 28, 2011, 07:15:16 pm
Harrison girls put a complete game together in a huge win over Alma.

Harrison 63, Alma 52

Crowd is already electric.  Harrison even has the band on hand to give the Spook House a Bud Walton Arena feel.

I swear our girls have two completely different teams.  One that plays on the road and one that plays at home. 

Keep us updated on the boys game.
anybody have any thoughts on why that is or why we are so inconsistent win it comes to winning ball games.Sure would like to see the Alma girls play in their first state tournament since the erection of the arena,may not be back there next year.

NOV_CLASSIC58

Harrison wasnt missing anything last night and Alma couldnt buy a three, bad night for the Dales. Cant wait to see the rematch at Airedale Arena!

rjrose

Quote from: NOV_CLASSIC58 on January 29, 2011, 02:26:52 pm
Harrison wasnt missing anything last night and Alma couldnt buy a three, bad night for the Dales. Cant wait to see the rematch at Airedale Arena!
Actually, Harrison didn't have a great shooting night.  They had a good one but not "wow" numbers.  We were 10/23 from the 3 point line for 43% and 25/54 overall for 46% so that wasn't the reason Harrison won.  We got beat by 9 at Huntsville and they shot 65% from the 3 point line.  Now that is "wow" shooting.  We won big because of good defense, we controlled the boards, and we for the most part we took good shots.  We took a few 3's that were a little deep but other than that it was a great team win.  I know when you hit 10 3's it seems like we shot lights out but we average about 10 3's a game for the year.  In our 3 losses this year we didn't do any of the above very well.  I am with you though, I can't wait to see the rematch in Alma.  Should be a barn burner.

NOV_CLASSIC58

Quote from: rjrose on January 29, 2011, 07:32:24 pm
Actually, Harrison didn't have a great shooting night.  They had a good one but not "wow" numbers.  We were 10/23 from the 3 point line for 43% and 25/54 overall for 46% so that wasn't the reason Harrison won.  We got beat by 9 at Huntsville and they shot 65% from the 3 point line.  Now that is "wow" shooting.  We won big because of good defense, we controlled the boards, and we for the most part we took good shots.  We took a few 3's that were a little deep but other than that it was a great team win.  I know when you hit 10 3's it seems like we shot lights out but we average about 10 3's a game for the year.  In our 3 losses this year we didn't do any of the above very well.  I am with you though, I can't wait to see the rematch in Alma.  Should be a barn burner.
Well compared to Almas 3 point shooting it was a "wow" performance!lol they didnt make one 3 in the first half, thats the worst ive seen them shoot this year. i think it was Harrisons crowd, it was crazy.

Oldcoach72

From a coaches view, I would say Harrison had a great shooting nite. For the most part outplayed Alma in every area!  Was a great crowd and they were a difference maker. If these teams played ten times, I would take 6 Alma wins.

rjrose

Quote from: NOV_CLASSIC58 on January 30, 2011, 08:42:57 pm
Well compared to Almas 3 point shooting it was a "wow" performance!lol they didnt make one 3 in the first half, thats the worst ive seen them shoot this year. i think it was Harrisons crowd, it was crazy.
Probably so but I was comparing a "WOW" performance from Huntsville against us.  Our defense had something to do with that.  I disagree a little with oldcoach72 because i think it would be 5 - 5 if they played each other 10 times.  I think the home court is the difference in these 2 teams..  I like the match ups for us.  we match up well with alma and i don't think anyone else does.  the key is breaking their press and we have the guards to do that.  Our crowd, especially our students made a big difference.

AB™

Quote from: rjrose on January 30, 2011, 09:04:45 pm
Quote from: NOV_CLASSIC58 on January 30, 2011, 08:42:57 pm
Probably so but I was comparing a "WOW" performance from Huntsville against us.  Our defense had something to do with that.  I disagree a little with oldcoach72 because i think it would be 5 - 5 if they played each other 10 times.  I think the home court is the difference in these 2 teams..  I like the match ups for us.  we match up well with alma and i don't think anyone else does.  the key is breaking their press and we have the guards to do that.  Our crowd, especially our students made a big difference.

I haven't seen Harrison play this year but they have given Alma fits the last two years.  They have what the other top teams in the conference haven't had, and that's a good mix of inside play, and shooters and athletes on the perimeter.

Two types of teams can give Alma fits, one is Harrison or a team identical to them, and the other is a team with 2-4 quick athletic guards that can keep McCoy and the rest of their guards in check, and also hasat least one big man (6'5"+) who can finish around the rim.  If you want an example, see Camden Fairview two years ago and McClellan last year.  Both teams had one athletic big man (McClellan had a 6'6" post CF had a 6'7" post) and a stable of quick and athletic guards that could contain our guards.  In this conference Alma has the most athletic guards but that's not usually the case in the state tournament. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas