• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Van Buren Pointers Basketball 2015-16

Started by jking7, November 16, 2015, 08:26:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jking7

I figured I'd make a place to update scores and discuss the season ahead. I did this last year and it seemed to get a good amount of conversation so why not again this year. The pointers open up with subiaco this Friday and return most of the players from last season outside of Kinney and the harms brothers (one graduated and the other moved to Alma) should be a outstanding season for the boys team and the girls I think will be much improved I'll have more on them later.

Razorback Red

Van Buren should be right in the mix as well, just like last year.  I think for them to have a chance to beat a physical team like Fville, MSmith is going to have to play BIG and use his body.  Has he put on any weight since last season?

jking7

I agree.. I've been told he's been hitting the weights a lot more this offseason but I can't give you anything official if he has bulked up any.. That was really his only major weakness was he was kinda a stick lol but a heck of a player for sure.

Black and Gold

Smith was dominated last night from the get-go. He'll need to be much more physical to have a shot this year or in the future. Scored 6 points I believe.

businesstron

sprtsfan

Smith was dominated SO MUCH that the Pointers only won by 12....Game was not as close as the final score indicated...

Black and Gold

They played little 3a Charleston and won by 12.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: sprtsfan on December 01, 2015, 11:42:12 am
Smith was dominated SO MUCH that the Pointers only won by 12....Game was not as close as the final score indicated...
Smith's production has nothing to do with whether they won the game.  Smith was dominated.  Van Buren won.  Van Buren should beat Charleston without Smith or Dye.  But he better start asking himself how his production can be so abysmal against a 3A football school.

sprtsfan

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 01, 2015, 03:35:17 pm
Smith's production has nothing to do with whether they won the game.  Smith was dominated.  Van Buren won.  Van Buren should beat Charleston without Smith or Dye.  But he better start asking himself how his production can be so abysmal against a 3A football school.

Don't disagree about Smith's production.

Smith was double and triple teamed all night, he still should produce more. Dye missed most of the second half with some injury...VB had Beckner in foul trouble most of the night.  Salisbury had a great game and the rest of the team played hard.  They pretty much did beat the Tigers without Smith and Dye.  I don't know what the big deal is... VB led by 20+ most of the second half...15 kept jackin up 3's from 25-30 ft.  Maybe Chucktown should play a little team ball and quit worrying about VB and whatever issues their team may have. 

chucktownboys

Few observations from playing in the Van Buren tournament last several years, if you play Van Buren your going to get the short end of the stick and if you beat the Pointers or play close it's the referees fault and they get black balled (ask Lloyd your coach), student section goes beyond school spirit into an out of control red neck party ( cussed and acted out in unison and not one Van Buren administrator does anything)? Enjoy winning at home and no where else. That's why your Van Buren, hadn't said anything all these years but last night was enough of a joke to talk about.

BigMan15

Quote from: sprtsfan on December 01, 2015, 04:52:22 pm
Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 01, 2015, 03:35:17 pm

Don't disagree about Smith's production.

Smith was double and triple teamed all night, he still should produce more. Dye missed most of the second half with some injury...VB had Beckner in foul trouble most of the night.  Salisbury had a great game and the rest of the team played hard.  They pretty much did beat the Tigers without Smith and Dye.  I don't know what the big deal is... VB led by 20+ most of the second half...15 kept jackin up 3's from 25-30 ft.  Maybe Chucktown should play a little team ball and quit worrying about VB and whatever issues their team may have.
Charleston lost by 12 to a good 7A team. But as you were saying early in the game VB was up big 24-7 although most of that run came from two techs. Also Charleston hitting a three while the 2nd tech was called. So dont act like VB just blowed out Charleston. The student section was allowed to do anything or say anything along with VB players. Just a lack of class but what did we expect. On a different note Beau Buckner had a great game along with some of the shooters. Congrats on that. Now maybe we can schedule Oark or Scranton and storm the court!!!!  Haha. Goodluck to both teams the rest of the year!

jking7

January 05, 2016, 07:33:10 pm #11 Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:56:54 pm by jking7
Girls: Van Buren-47
           Southside-32   Final.

Boys:  Van Buren-79
            Southside-64    Final.

jking7

January 08, 2016, 08:34:17 pm #12 Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:52:24 pm by jking7
Girls: Van Buren-37
              Conway-48  Final.

Conway is now 15-1 on the season VB is 10-4

Boys:  Van Buren-55
               Conway-51    Final.

Van Buren's next game will be Tuesday at home vs Alma

jking7

Girls: Van Buren-48
                  Alma-18   Final.

Boys: Van Buren-70
                   Alma-59   Final.

jking7

Girls: Van Buren-57
                Bryant-29    Final.
Lady Pointers are now 13-4 overall and 2-1 in conference.

jking7

Girls.   Van Buren- 51
          Mt. St. Mary-21  Final.

Boys.   Van Buren- 56
                Catholic- 34 Final. 

Coach Loyd got his 700th win tonight.

Brian G

jking7

January 26, 2016, 07:12:15 pm #17 Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:43:03 pm by jking7
Girls:   Van Buren- 64
            Greenwood-32  Final

Boys:   Van Buren- 60
           Greenwood- 48   Final

jking7

January 29, 2016, 07:43:59 pm #18 Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:04:08 pm by jking7
Girls:     Van Buren- 60
             Russellville- 34   Final.

Boys:    Van Buren-50
            Russellville-60    Final.

Sloppy play for the Pointers tonight. Definitely can't play like that if they expect to contend for state in the 7A..

AT

Not sure how Russellville goes from losing to Catholic to beating Van Buren, but alrighty then.

jking7

AT

I don't think Van Buren mailed it in or anything like that but it's hard to get up for these "non conference conference games" as I like to call them.

Russellville has the ability to make some noise at 6A state, though.

jking7

I agree with that. I won't use that as a excuse but it's possible that they took them light or even like you said just couldn't get pumped up for it since it really does not count towards much. With that said Russellville played well and VB played sloppy. It happens. Congrats to them.

Chip

VB needs to practice freethrows, I bet they missed 15 free throws that night against Russellville!

jking7

They are usually better then that. But yeah no reason for them to miss so many. It hurt big time that night.

sprtsfan

Paper said they were 10-27 from the line.

jking7

jking7

February 05, 2016, 07:52:43 pm #27 Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:23:29 pm by jking7
Girls: Van Buren- 46
             Conway- 60   Final

Boys: Van Buren- 53
              Conway- 38  Final

jking7

Girls:  Van Buren- 62
                   Alma- 29   Final

Boys:  Van Buren- 68
                    Alma- 43  Final

jking7

Girls: Van Buren- 45
                Bryant- 29   Final

Boys: Van Buren- 51
                Bryant- 48   Final

jking7

February 16, 2016, 07:12:37 pm #30 Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:31:55 pm by jking7
Girls:  Van Buren- 57
    Siloam Springs- 25   Final.

Boys:   Van Buren- 48
      Siloam Springs-39   Final.

jking7

Girls: Van Buren- 58
    Mt Saint Mary- 23  Final

Boys:  Van Buren- 51
             Catholic- 34  Final

jking7

February 23, 2016, 10:17:42 pm #32 Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:18:00 am by jking7
Girls:   Van Buren-61
          Greenwood-32   Final   Lady Pointers are now 11-2 in conference and 21-5 overall.

Boys:   Van Buren-60
          Greenwood-36   Final Pointers are now 11-2 in conference and 20-6 overall.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas