• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Two Rivers Head Job Open?

Started by beach bum, January 15, 2015, 06:12:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigerdad2

Quote from: purpleswag on January 31, 2015, 11:24:29 am
Quote from: Tigerdad2 on January 31, 2015, 09:37:57 am
Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on January 30, 2015, 10:17:21 pm
Personally,  I think a head coach should be old enough that he doesn't basically appear as little more than an older brother of his players.

But I'll fully admit that I'm biased in this matter.

Then again I also criticize programs for bring in "savior coaches".

If a 33 year old man can be an  Head Football Coach in the NFL, I believe a 23 can coach H.S.
Obviously their are immature people at any age, Wilson was not one of them. Coaching is about X's and O's but if you can relate to kids, that will take you a long way, the majority of younger coaches can do that. If you don't think younger coaches can be HC's because of looking like their older brother, I guess Gus Malzhon should have never been given a shot until he was in his mid 30's to coach at Hughes

Yeah and can you name another coach like Gus? He's the exception to the rule. Plus 33 is a lot different than 23. The guy had been coaching for a year before he got the job. That's is ludicrous!!

Hopefully two rivers takes the search seriously this time because it looks to me like the last time they just took the easy route.

And really the age thing isn't the issue at hand. It's experiance. If a guy in his mid 30's starts coaching tomorrow I don't want him as a head coach of my team. Young coaches are great but I still feel like you need at least a little experience to be effective as a HC. JMO

My point was, who was malzhon at 23, a guy that didn't win state championships right away at Hughes, AR.  I remember Shiloh fans yelling fire him, his first year there. Just think, if everyone was narrow minded back then. I'm not saying Wilson is Malzhon. Im saying he's a good coach that needed a little time.
Also Josh Floyd was hired as HC at 23 and no one said anything about that

Wonderdog

Wilson was stepping into an uphill battle from the start. Low pay, low numbers, lack of community support, less experience than a typical first year head coach, etc. Some will have stronger opinions than others, but the guy did what he could in his circumstances. I don't blame him for potentially going elsewhere.

purpleswag

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 01, 2015, 01:09:47 pm
Personally,  I think a head coach should be old enough that he doesn't basically appear as little more than an older brother of his players.

If a 33 year old man can be an  Head Football Coach in the NFL, I believe a 23 can coach H.S.
Obviously their are immature people at any age, Wilson was not one of them. Coaching is about X's and O's but if you can relate to kids, that will take you a long way, the majority of younger coaches can do that. If you don't think younger coaches can be HC's because of looking like their older brother, I guess Gus Malzhon should have never been given a shot until he was in his mid 30's to coach at Hughes

Yeah and can you name another coach like Gus? He's the exception to the rule. Plus 33 is a lot different than 23. The guy had been coaching for a year before he got the job. That's is ludicrous!!

Hopefully two rivers takes the search seriously this time because it looks to me like the last time they just took the easy route.

And really the age thing isn't the issue at hand. It's experiance. If a guy in his mid 30's starts coaching tomorrow I don't want him as a head coach of my team. Young coaches are great but I still feel like you need at least a little experience to be effective as a HC. JMO

My point was, who was malzhon at 23, a guy that didn't win state championships right away at Hughes, AR.  I remember Shiloh fans yelling fire him, his first year there. Just think, if everyone was narrow minded back then. I'm not saying Wilson is Malzhon. Im saying he's a good coach that needed a little time.

Who is Josh Floyd? Who is Wilson for that matter? I'm not going to argue this with you anymore. The guy was over his head and it shows because he left after one year. You spelled Malzahn wrong also.  ;D

Longfellow

Quote from: Wonderdog09 on February 01, 2015, 02:46:28 pm
Wilson was stepping into an uphill battle from the start. Low pay, low numbers, lack of community support, less experience than a typical first year head coach, etc. Some will have stronger opinions than others, but the guy did what he could in his circumstances. I don't blame him for potentially going elsewhere.
One of the most intelligent posts I have seen on this thread. Thank you for posting something accurate instead of insulting the guys ability because of his age

Beaver Fever

Floyd's dad hired him so that don't count

beach bum

February 03, 2015, 03:03:29 pm #55 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:23:21 pm by beach bum
There were 4 finalists that interviewed and a decision will already be made by the end of the week....

Beaver Fever

So everyone that applied was a finalist!  :-X

beach bum

February 04, 2015, 07:34:24 pm #57 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:28:10 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Beaver Fever on February 03, 2015, 04:24:54 pm
So everyone that applied was a finalist!  :-X

I don't know how many applied, however I do know all the people who interviewed were qualified.... the OC from Hermitage, an assistant from Westville OK, the DC from Bigelow, and an assistant from Morrilton.... Whoever gets the job I wish them the best because they are all quality young coaches.

beach bum

The assistant from Morrilton has taken his name out of consideration from what I hear... also, I believe it is a 2 man race between the coaches from Bigelow and Westville, OK....

beach bum

Quote from: purpleswag on February 01, 2015, 02:49:02 pm
Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 01, 2015, 01:09:47 pm

Who is Josh Floyd? Who is Wilson for that matter? I'm not going to argue this with you anymore. The guy was over his head and it shows because he left after one year. You spelled Malzahn wrong also.  ;D

I hope you are joking about not knowing who Josh Floyd is?

beach bum

February 13, 2015, 02:56:50 pm #60 Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 03:14:36 pm by beach bum
I do not like to do this and I am telling myself I probably shouldn't write this even, but Two Rivers hired the current DC from Palestine Wheatley which makes no sense to me. It looks like the leadership at your school makes decisions that lead to Two Rivers being in the cellar of its conference like this last year and 21-41 since forming as Two Rivers from the consolidation(that will only continue to be worse since they are 3A and not in 2A like the first classification cycle as a school).... You had 3 candidates that you turned down that should have been picked before the guy you picked. One guy won a state title as an assistant at 5A Morrilton, one has been part of a program that has finished 4th or better in its conference 18 of the last 19 years in 4A Prairie Grove, and the last you turned down in one of the best DC in 2A from Bigelow(they played so many games last year where the winner of the game had 21 points or less because Bigelow's defense and fundamental play kept them in the game & has been to the quarterfinals twice as the DC)... The 2 guys I first listed that were denied this job were actually at Palestine-Wheatley for one year the only time they made the playoffs for the last 12 years and you hire the guy from PW currently from a losing program when you had 3 proven winners..... Nice call Two Rivers!

Longfellow

I would agree that they have made the wrong decision as well. I haven't met the guy, but he doesn't seem like the guy that's gonna turn this program around. I don't know who this decision benefits, but it isn't the players

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on February 13, 2015, 03:15:02 pm
I would agree that they have made the wrong decision as well. I haven't met the guy, but he doesn't seem like the guy that's gonna turn this program around. I don't know who this decision benefits, but it isn't the players

I am just saying you had 3 proven winners and didn't pick one of them... that's all. I don't get it! Any one of them would have great choices.

Jimbo Morphis

beach bum

February 13, 2015, 03:17:41 pm #64 Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 03:22:56 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Oldman on February 13, 2015, 03:16:45 pm
what is his name?

I am not certain... Just saw where they got a guy from PW which I didn't even know he was an applicant or interviewed... I know he was at another program not known for anything in recent history in Marvell and now currently at Palestine Wheatley. If your not a winning program at least hire a proven winner.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on February 13, 2015, 02:56:50 pm
I do not like to do this and I am telling myself I probably shouldn't write this even, but Two Rivers hired the current DC from Palestine Wheatley which makes no sense to me. It looks like the leadership at your school makes decisions that lead to Two Rivers being in the cellar of its conference like this last year and 21-41 since forming as Two Rivers from the consolidation(that will only continue to be worse since they are 3A and not in 2A like the first classification cycle as a school).... You had 3 candidates that you turned down that should have been picked before the guy you picked. One guy won a state title as an assistant at 5A Morrilton, one has been part of a program that has finished 4th or better in its conference 18 of the last 19 years in 4A Prairie Grove, and the last you turned down in one of the best DC in 2A from Bigelow(they played so many games last year where the winner of the game had 21 points or less because Bigelow's defense and fundamental play kept them in the game & has been to the quarterfinals twice as the DC)... The 2 guys I first listed that were denied this job were actually at Palestine-Wheatley for one year the only time they made the playoffs for the last 12 years and you hire the guy from PW currently from a losing program when you had 3 proven winners..... Nice call Two Rivers!

Reading the fans from P/W's posts on here...a big problem at P/W is their HC. Apparently the kids don't like him that much.

JohnBarleycorn

big E

Richard Havner and he wasn't the dc he was head jr high football and the difference between the two programs at pw are night and day.

big E

Talked to him at lunch and nothing is final yet.

Tigerdad2

Quote from: HF on February 13, 2015, 04:33:34 pm
Quote from: beach bum on February 13, 2015, 02:56:50 pm

Reading the fans from P/W's posts on here...a big problem at P/W is their HC. Apparently the kids don't like him that much.
And PW won't get ride of the HC?

nuttinbuthogs

funny to listen what makes a good coach and a coach worthy of getting any given job.  Mostly it seems because somebody knows him to be a good role model, good young football mind, passionate or whatever, comes from a winning program.  What is seldom known is how much influence did they have on the winning or the loosing for that matter.  I remember about 15 years ago a guy  going 1-9 in his first year at a not particularly good football school, he left quickly.  Now most would say that guy didn't deserve another HC job, but he managed to get one and had moderate success for a couple of years and moved on again.  Most would likely assume the guy just wasn't that good a coach. Point is that guy previous to his 1-9 gig was a three time state championship coach. So what you don't know may be big information.

JohnBarleycorn

Tigerdad2

IPROFB

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 19, 2015, 11:24:13 pm
funny to listen what makes a good coach and a coach worthy of getting any given job.  Mostly it seems because somebody knows him to be a good role model, good young football mind, passionate or whatever, comes from a winning program.  What is seldom known is how much influence did they have on the winning or the loosing for that matter.  I remember about 15 years ago a guy  going 1-9 in his first year at a not particularly good football school, he left quickly.  Now most would say that guy didn't deserve another HC job, but he managed to get one and had moderate success for a couple of years and moved on again.  Most would likely assume the guy just wasn't that good a coach. Point is that guy previous to his 1-9 gig was a three time state championship coach. So what you don't know may be big information.

Like I posted on the Gentry thread, you can't predict how well a coach will perform from one school to another. It's not as much about the scheme or the coach as it is the program and the players. If you have a tradition of winning and an expectation of success, that is half the battle. If a coach can get the players to buy into his scheme and he can keep the boys in the field house he has a chance to build or maintain a program.

Longfellow

I honestly don't think Nick Saban or Steve Spurrier could keep the Two Rivers boys committed in the weight room. It's been that way since I was in jr high. No commitment to getting in the weight room and improving. And every time a new coach comes in and tries to change that, he is met with utmost resistance

wynnefootballfan

Any news on when the new coach will move in?

Tigerdad2

All I know is PW had two head coaches on staff and all those athletes and they won 3 games

big E

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 26, 2015, 05:57:52 pm
All I know is PW had two head coaches on staff and all those athletes and they won 3 games
Havner's jr Patriots went unbeaten and unscored on. He had little to do with the sr high.

jbtiger73

so ole Hav finally got a HC job. congrats to him and his family. he's a great guy. trust me. TR will not be disappointed.

Loyalfan1

HorseFeathers

heardw that he had a meet and greet barbecue type get together with the community.....also hearing that the players like him....

Longfellow

From what they have told me, he's a good coach who has them working hard in the weight room and the majority of them really like the guy. Hope the program gets built back up a little bit

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Longfellow on April 24, 2015, 05:35:50 pm
From what they have told me, he's a good coach who has them working hard in the weight room and the majority of them really like the guy. Hope the program gets built back up a little bit

Don't think Two Rivers will ever be a power house program, but I think with the athletes they have that they could be a respectable program with the right guy.....Maybe Havener is the guy to do it...

beach bum

Quote from: HF on April 24, 2015, 06:15:25 pm
Quote from: Longfellow on April 24, 2015, 05:35:50 pm

Don't think Two Rivers will ever be a power house program, but I think with the athletes they have that they could be a respectable program with the right guy.....Maybe Havener is the guy to do it...

Hopefully Booneville goes up to 4A again to give the 4-3A some relief. With Lamar on the rise and the obvious Charleston dominance the bottom feeders of the conference are in a doomed position.

HorseFeathers

danville and lavaca are possibly dropping to 2a....charleston will drop off this year...lamar has suposedly been on the rise for close to 8 years plus...other than a semi final run in 08 they.ve yet to pan out

-Painted Fan-

Two Rivers would drop before Lavaca.
Charleston and Lavaca are neck and neck for 5th and 6th in the Conference, size-wise.
I think it's a 3 horse race in the Conference, same as last year. Everyone else are playing for those final two playoff spots.

basketballjones

Lavaca and Danville are the smallest non private 3A schools so they would both drop before Two Rivers

HorseFeathers

April 24, 2015, 07:58:44 pm #87 Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:10:56 pm by HF
Quote from: -Painted Fan- on April 24, 2015, 06:53:36 pm
Two Rivers would drop before Lavaca.
Charleston and Lavaca are neck and neck for 5th and 6th in the Conference, size-wise.
I think it's a 3 horse race in the Conference, same as last year. Everyone else are playing for those final two playoff spots.

Uh...

2014-15 9-12 Enrollment

Booneville 400
Lamar 371
Paris 357
Atkins 299---Basketball only but for giggles
Mansfield 294
Charleston 271
Two Rivers 267
Danville 241
Lavaca 236

Looking at Lamar they'll go 4A in a couple of years....Charleston's conference could definitely be seeing some changes in the near future...

-Painted Fan-

My bad. I thought Danville and Two Rivers were the two smallest in conference.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: -Painted Fan- on April 24, 2015, 08:08:36 pm
My bad. I thought Danville and Two Rivers were the two smallest in conference.

It's all good....I only knew it cause of the discussion on the MMQB board...Definitely suprising that a school that close to Fort Smith is actually shrinking

-Painted Fan-

I just looked at the numbers.
Two Rivers is bigger than Charleston!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas