• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Two Rivers Head Job Open?

Started by beach bum, January 15, 2015, 06:12:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

I heard the really young guy there has already moved on from being the head man at Two Rivers.... Can anyone confirm if this is accurate?

beach bum

January 15, 2015, 06:14:37 pm #1 Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:23:39 pm by beach bum
If that is the case, this is definitely not a job I would be thrilled about getting into if I was a coach. I don't see Lamar, Booneville, Charleston and others in the 4-3A falling back to the pack much in the future and making it any easier for the Gators.

Longfellow

That is the truth. Wilson will be leaving. There is no participation in football at TR. Kids don't come out to play, especially in jr high. The effort is not there on the field, in the weight room, and the community support is atrocious. Growing up watching guys like Bubba Noakes and the team's he played on, and having played on one of the best teams in school history, it's sad to see how little football means in the school and community. That is a major reason why Wilson wanted out. He saw that kids didn't care about the game, and didn't put out the effort. If you watched the gators this year, you saw that lack of effort. In my opinion, Wilson is one of the best young defensive coaches in arkansas high school football. He is only 23 or 24 years old. He is a great role model, and I am extremely proud to have played for him, even though he was our DC and I only played center. Even though he only coached us for one year, me and some of my best friends and teammates built a special bond with Wilson and I wish him nothing but the best.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Longfellow on January 15, 2015, 10:44:30 pm
That is the truth. Wilson will be leaving. There is no participation in football at TR. Kids don't come out to play, especially in jr high. The effort is not there on the field, in the weight room, and the community support is atrocious. Growing up watching guys like Bubba Noakes and the team's he played on, and having played on one of the best teams in school history, it's sad to see how little football means in the school and community. That is a major reason why Wilson wanted out. He saw that kids didn't care about the game, and didn't put out the effort. If you watched the gators this year, you saw that lack of effort. In my opinion, Wilson is one of the best young defensive coaches in arkansas high school football. He is only 23 or 24 years old. He is a great role model, and I am extremely proud to have played for him, even though he was our DC and I only played center. Even though he only coached us for one year, me and some of my best friends and teammates built a special bond with Wilson and I wish him nothing but the best.

Where is he going???

Longfellow

I have not talked to him since December. His wife had a baby and he's been on paternity leave. I don't think he has a destination yet. He still has softball to coach

beach bum

January 16, 2015, 02:07:48 am #5 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:24:20 pm by beach bum
From my time in Dardanelle I got a lot of the same vibes about the place as what was posted above. You hate to see stuff like this because there are plenty of good little towns in the area around TR. The dynamics of that area make it very hard to sustain a winning program but I think the right coaches could make them competitive at least.

WPWells

Longfellow you can just be adaptedtigerfan2

adaptedtigerfan

Or....   I can just give you my password.  Then you could be an original and not some cheap knockoff..   

Disclosure....   There is a lot to deal with when becoming adaptedtigerfan.

Loyalfan1

Shame this can't be a decent job.  I looked on their web page.  $1750 for Head Football Coach.  205 day contract.  Thats embarising.  If a Coach could get them competitive then they will get out 1st chance.  Some of these schools expect to win and don't do what it takes too get good people.  I bet Lamar, Charleston, Boonville, etc do better. 

Loyalfan1

Wilson make $37,000 last year.  Head Coach of 2 sports.  Hyatt pulled in $72,000 last year.  I'm not a complainer just think the kids deserve better.

OLDSCHOOL82

True loyalfan.  Some of a coaches pay comes from their tenure.  But, that small stipend and 205 day contract doesnt help anything.  Some schools can't afford or just plain don't want to pay anything.  Many people forget that coaching, educators, arent doing it solely for the gift of teaching, molding, and coaching kids.  Its a business to them.  School is also a business.  You cant expect one part of the business to excel if you don't put an appropriate budget behind it. 

Loyalfan1

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on January 16, 2015, 09:47:13 am
True loyalfan.  Some of a coaches pay comes from their tenure.  But, that small stipend and 205 day contract doesnt help anything.  Some schools can't afford or just plain don't want to pay anything.  Many people forget that coaching, educators, arent doing it solely for the gift of teaching, molding, and coaching kids.  Its a business to them.  School is also a business.  You cant expect one part of the business to excel if you don't put an appropriate budget behind it.
Agree.  For the BS a Head Coach puts up with you gotta be able to pay a respectable salary.

STUNNA

So who are some of the candidates for this job? Sounds like possibly a job for a young coach that feels like they can jump in and turn it into a respectful program!!!

beach bum

January 28, 2015, 01:22:40 pm #13 Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:51:00 pm by beach bum
Quote from: STUNNA on January 28, 2015, 12:05:37 pm
So who are some of the candidates for this job? Sounds like possibly a job for a young coach that feels like they can jump in and turn it into a respectful program!!!

I know an assistant from Westville, OK applied that spent 4 years at Prairie Grove and this last season at Westville... and an assistant from Bigelow. Both are qualified IMO. Both are in their late 20's.... The first is an offensive guy and the second the defensive coordinator at Bigelow. Bigelow had one of the better defenses in 2A this year. They just couldn't put points up on the board. Westville, OK went 0-10 in 2013 but finished 8-2 this season and really started scoring in big numbers the second half of the season. They are both good young coaches.

Longfellow

Whoever they hire, I hope he can build the program up. Plenty of athletes to be competitive, but not many play football. Kind of reminds me of Paris. Participation has always been low in football. I can remember years when the basketball team has had more players than the football team. If he can get kids to come out and join the team, they could have success like never before. But if things stay like they are now, it's just gonna get worse.

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on January 28, 2015, 04:59:12 pm
Whoever they hire, I hope he can build the program up. Plenty of athletes to be competitive, but not many play football. Kind of reminds me of Paris. Participation has always been low in football. I can remember years when the basketball team has had more players than the football team. If he can get kids to come out and join the team, they could have success like never before. But if things stay like they are now, it's just gonna get worse.

It really is crazy how low some numbers for teams are getting for schools. To me, 2A teams should always have at least 25 players, 3A about 35, and 4A pushing 50..... It doesn't happen that way anymore though.

STUNNA

Quote from: beach bum on January 28, 2015, 05:20:59 pm

It really is crazy how low some numbers for teams are getting for schools. To me, 2A teams should always have at least 25 players, 3A about 35, and 4A pushing 50..... It doesn't happen that way anymore though.
Yea it's crazy. 4a state champ Warren only dressed 32 players

Longfellow

Two Rivers had almost 60 in spring, but only suited up 19 kids by week 5

HorseFeathers

Quote from: STUNNA on January 28, 2015, 06:42:36 pm
Quote from: beach bum on January 28, 2015, 05:20:59 pm

Yea it's crazy. 4a state champ Warren only dressed 32 players

Hector(Lost in 2nd round in 2A) dressed 41 their last game...Rison dressed out 48 that same night...That's including moved up freshman though...

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Longfellow on January 28, 2015, 07:15:40 pm
Two Rivers had almost 60 in spring, but only suited up 19 kids by week 5

Sounds like they were not pushing them hard enough in spring and pre season workouts leading to the regular season being a bit of a shock.

If you're going to lose players it is best to lose them well before the season starts.

STUNNA

I know the OC at Hermitage has an interview at two rivers Monday.

minerjack

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on January 16, 2015, 09:47:13 am
+1  Great post right there.

beach bum

The assistant from Westville, OK that applied will be interviewing as well. Like I stated in a previous post. He spent the 4 previous years before the last season at Prairie Grove who is a decently successful 4A program.

STUNNA

The Hermitage OC is a warren and tech grad. Spent time coaching in Dardanelle also. inexperience  might be the only thing that hurts

beach bum

Quote from: STUNNA on January 29, 2015, 01:41:52 pm
The Hermitage OC is a warren and tech grad. Spent time coaching in Dardanelle also. inexperience  might be the only thing that hurts

He is extremely familiar then with the area if he spent time at Dardanelle and a Tech grad! The inexperience thing shouldn't hurt him either. I think all the guys will be young shooting for this job.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on January 29, 2015, 01:45:16 pm

He is extremely familiar then with the area if he spent time at Dardanelle and a Tech grad! The inexperience thing shouldn't hurt him either. I think all the guys will be young shooting for this job.

Wasn't the guy that just left only 23 or something close to that?

beach bum

January 29, 2015, 05:42:46 pm #26 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:48:32 pm by beach bum
Quote from: HF on January 29, 2015, 04:51:38 pm
Quote from: beach bum on January 29, 2015, 01:45:16 pm

Wasn't the guy that just left only 23 or something close to that?

Yes, someone I know(I sound too much like the media) had the majority of their classes with him at Arkansas Tech. They spoke very highly of him as a person and his character, however maybe being a head coach got to him at that young of an age. That is my guess. I would not have been able to handle being a HC at that age. I hope he gets another chance as time goes by. I also hope Two Rivers brings in a guy that will stay for the long haul. HF knows all too well at Hector what a coach who commits to a program will do. Hector is the only team in the 4-2A that is becoming competitive to the rest of its class. They seem to have found a guy that really has bought into the town and vice versa.

Longfellow

Yes Jimmy Wilson is only 23. Excellent young coach, good role model. Scheme wise, I would say one of the top defensive guys in the 3A. He just didn't have the personnel to get it done

Beaver Fever

No way at 23 he is a top mind o. Either side of the ball, lots to be said about experience

WPWells

Longfellow

How would you know anything about his defensive coaching ability? How would anyone from Glen Rose know anything about coaching or what makes a coach good?

beach bum

January 29, 2015, 07:16:25 pm #31 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:19:31 pm by beach bum
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 29, 2015, 07:04:56 pm
Do you think Kehner is?

Someone worries a little too much about Glen Rose? I thought we were discussing that Coach Wilson did a good job. Maybe he jumped in too young by how quickly he jumped out... I bet he bounces back just fine though. We all fail. Its part of life.,, No one has said he can not coach... Its called the wrong place at the wrong time.

WPWells

I was defending him from a guy from Glen Rose. That's why I brought up Kehner

purpleswag

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 29, 2015, 07:23:34 pm
I was defending him from a guy from Glen Rose. That's why I brought up Kehner

Ok. I have no ties to glen rose and I had never even heard of two rivers until this thread but I have to agree that 23 is to young.

That is barely enough time to get your feet wet out of college. I have no doubt that he is a great role model but that doesn't make a good coach. My preacher is a good role model but I wouldn't want him as the HC at Hazen.

Longfellow

Did you play for the guy? Has anyone on this board even met the guy? Have you seen his playbook? What does age have to do with talent? He is an excellent coach, and with all due respect, Charlestons DC or Booneville's DC couldn't coach a respectable defense with the talent at TR

purpleswag

Quote from: Longfellow on January 30, 2015, 09:35:01 am
Did you play for the guy? Has anyone on this board even met the guy? Have you seen his playbook? What does age have to do with talent? He is an excellent coach, and with all due respect, Charlestons DC or Booneville's DC couldn't coach a respectable defense with the talent at TR

I dont think that anybody here is arguing about talent. But, X and o's don't necessarily win ball games.

Knowing how to build a program is learned from experience. Something that i'm sure he doesn't have at 23 yrs old. And again i'm an outsider looking in.

Where else did he coach before he was given the job? How long?

beach bum

He coached one season as D coordinator the 2013 season until last year as HC.... He started teaching their mid year in January 2013 fresh weeks after graduating at Tech.

Loyalfan1

I love passion and energy of young coaches but experience is Huge when handling issues HFC's face.  not just X's and O's.  Handling situations, community, budget, etc...   All this comes with experience. 

DeeGee

Quote from: Longfellow on January 29, 2015, 07:14:17 pm
How would anyone from Glen Rose know anything about coaching or what makes a coach good?

Seriously? I mean am I suppose to take this as a serious question? Please don't start downgrading our staff or for that matter all that live in Glen Rose. While I may live here, I'm not from here. But with my son's senior year coming up, I wouldn't want him to play with any other bunch of boys. They work hard and they are loyal to their team. Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean at all I don't know a thing about coaching. There was absolutely no reason for Glen Rose to even be brought up. Their statement was about age, not him personally. 12th Man, I know we get along but that was uncalled for.

WPWells

He was brought up because someone from Glen Rose made that statement

beach bum

2 assistants that are 29 will be interviewing Tuesday. Both from decently successful programs with 6 and 7 years experience respectfully.

DeeGee

But all they were saying was 23 is a young age to be a top coach. How does that warrant Kehner being brought up? It was an opinion.  I just feel it was unnecessary because this has nothing to do with Glen Rose or our coaching staff. Two Rivers are not even in our conference anymore. Don't see the sense in starting controversy. No different than anyone else having their own opinion on the matter and you all didn't call out their coaches. That's my point.

Dayton Kitchens

Personally,  I think a head coach should be old enough that he doesn't basically appear as little more than an older brother of his players.

But I'll fully admit that I'm biased in this matter.

Then again I also criticize programs for bring in "savior coaches".

Tigerdad2

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on January 30, 2015, 10:17:21 pm
Personally,  I think a head coach should be old enough that he doesn't basically appear as little more than an older brother of his players.

If a 33 year old man can be an  Head Football Coach in the NFL, I believe a 23 can coach H.S.
Obviously their are immature people at any age, Wilson was not one of them. Coaching is about X's and O's but if you can relate to kids, that will take you a long way, the majority of younger coaches can do that. If you don't think younger coaches can be HC's because of looking like their older brother, I guess Gus Malzhon should have never been given a shot until he was in his mid 30's to coach at Hughes

Tigerdad2

My son plays for a coach, that was hired as a HC in his late 20's many years ago,He has changed this place to a winning football program. In my opinion that age of coaches make the best coaches for small school football

purpleswag

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on January 31, 2015, 09:37:57 am
Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on January 30, 2015, 10:17:21 pm

If a 33 year old man can be an  Head Football Coach in the NFL, I believe a 23 can coach H.S.
Obviously their are immature people at any age, Wilson was not one of them. Coaching is about X's and O's but if you can relate to kids, that will take you a long way, the majority of younger coaches can do that. If you don't think younger coaches can be HC's because of looking like their older brother, I guess Gus Malzhon should have never been given a shot until he was in his mid 30's to coach at Hughes

Yeah and can you name another coach like Gus? He's the exception to the rule. Plus 33 is a lot different than 23. The guy had been coaching for a year before he got the job. That's is ludicrous!!

Hopefully two rivers takes the search seriously this time because it looks to me like the last time they just took the easy route.

And really the age thing isn't the issue at hand. It's experiance. If a guy in his mid 30's starts coaching tomorrow I don't want him as a head coach of my team. Young coaches are great but I still feel like you need at least a little experience to be effective as a HC. JMO

emceedd

Quote from: DeeGoldie on January 30, 2015, 07:55:17 pm
But all they were saying was 23 is a young age to be a top coach. How does that warrant Kehner being brought up? It was an opinion.  I just feel it was unnecessary because this has nothing to do with Glen Rose or our coaching staff. Two Rivers are not even in our conference anymore. Don't see the sense in starting controversy. No different than anyone else having their own opinion on the matter and you all didn't call out their coaches. That's my point.

I believe 12th man was asking Beaver Fever if he thought Kehner was a top mind. Am I correct 12th man?

WPWells

DeeGee

My original comment was directed to Longfellow. Asking how anyone from Glen Rose would know anything about coaching.

Beaver Fever

I don't know about his coaching mind, he doesn't call offense or defense.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas