• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A Players going to D1 D2 D3 or JR College or NAIA

Started by BigMan15, March 13, 2016, 11:52:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMan15

Name all Sr players going to the next level no matter where it is. So that we can follow this players

BigMan15

March 13, 2016, 12:00:14 pm #1 Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:29:22 am by BigMan15
Michael Ward - Charleston - OBU
Austin Reaves- Cedar Ridge - WSU
Hunter Daley- Jesseville - UAM
Kelvin Robinson- ECS- APP State
Allie Freeman- ECS- ATU
Cade Crabtree- Cedar Ridge-?

jjHogfan77

I do not understand why Reaves who is IMO one of the top 3 players in the state (all classes) did not have more colleges knocking on the door. There has to be more to the story. I do not care what the story is I just think the people that come on here and bad mouth coaches for not recruiting him may not have the whole story.

urban legend2

Quote from: jjHogfan77 on March 13, 2016, 05:35:18 pm
I do not understand why Reaves who is IMO one of the top 3 players in the state (all classes) did not have more colleges knocking on the door. There has to be more to the story. I do not care what the story is I just think the people that come on here and bad mouth coaches for not recruiting him may not have the whole story.
I think that's a fair question to be honest.

BigMan15

Even if only WSU offered if that's where he wants why does anything else matter.

Eagle20

He did have schools after him.  Texas, Indiana, Gonzaga, to name a few.  That is straight from the head coaches mouth who talked to them. 

GBattack

I'm sure I'll get yelled at for this...but the ACT explanation makes sense to me. I'm NOT trying to knock the kid...but I happen to know a little bit about the education world, and I know if his score was as low as I heard it was, not very many schools COULD admit him without waivers (which aren't that easy to get in some instances). A LOT of schools accept waivered athletes, but under the conditions they can meet certain expectations. Some kids can't meet those expectations in some cases for various reasons, and therefore aren't considered for that reason. Smaller schools tend to accept partial scores, or COMPASS scores in place of an ACT/SAT scores. I don't know what he scored, I only know what I've heard, but testing is an obstacle a lot of kids have to deal with. And even if this isn't the case with Austin Reaves, it's still an issue for a LOT of young athletes.

Moonshiner

Kinda interesting to look at the similar paths of Reaves and Malik MonK.
Both played against each other as Freshaman in the 2A title game.  Reaves wins head to head.
Malik goes across the state to Bentonville to launch  his brand.  The state falls in love with him.
Reaves stays at home.  The same area where his mom went to school and his dad runs a business.  Reaves wins another 2A title in a blowout.  No brand, no fanfare.
Monks name takes off as his brother promotes him all over the nation.
In their Jr. Season Cedar Ridge moves up to 3A where they are upset in the state tournament.  Monk takes his team to the 7A state finals where they finish runner up.
Now their senior seasons.  Monk is on the national stage as most people in the state still aren't sure where Cedar Ridge is even at.
Monk begins the season drawing sell out crowds as Razorback fans are crossing their fingers hoping he chooses Arkansas.   Reaves is silently preparing for his final season of high school basketball, hoping to make another title run.
Ultimately, Monks team makes it to the finals once more where he is booed by the same fans that adored him before.  Losing the state finals one last time.
On the other hand Austin Reaves now becomes the star player of the state while winning his 3rd state title and scoring 43 in the championship game.
Unbelievable how these 2 have traded positions through the years.  Kinda like Magic and Bird.
I'm an Austin Reaves fan.  I hope Wichita State plays Kentucky in the tournament one day and shocks the nation.
Sorry for the long post.

Eagle20

Quote from: Moonshiner on March 13, 2016, 06:45:13 pm
Kinda interesting to look at the similar paths of Reaves and Malik MonK.
Both played against each other as Freshaman in the 2A title game.  Reaves wins head to head.
Malik goes across the state to Bentonville to launch  his brand.  The state falls in love with him.
Reaves stays at home.  The same area where his mom went to school and his dad runs a business.  Reaves wins another 2A title in a blowout.  No brand, no fanfare.
Monks name takes off as his brother promotes him all over the nation.
In their Jr. Season Cedar Ridge moves up to 3A where they are upset in the state tournament.  Monk takes his team to the 7A state finals where they finish runner up.
Now their senior seasons.  Monk is on the national stage as most people in the state still aren't sure where Cedar Ridge is even at.
Monk begins the season drawing sell out crowds as Razorback fans are crossing their fingers hoping he chooses Arkansas.   Reaves is silently preparing for his final season of high school basketball, hoping to make another title run.
Ultimately, Monks team makes it to the finals once more where he is booed by the same fans that adored him before.  Losing the state finals one last time.
On the other hand Austin Reaves now becomes the star player of the state while winning his 3rd state title and scoring 43 in the championship game.
Unbelievable how these 2 have traded positions through the years.  Kinda like Magic and Bird.
I'm an Austin Reaves fan.  I hope Wichita State plays Kentucky in the tournament one day and shocks the nation.
Sorry for the long post.
+

mtindian42

That was a long post... But a good post. Good stuff!

Paperman

cdelaney

Quote from: BigMan15 on March 13, 2016, 12:00:14 pm
Michael Ward - Charleston - OBU
Austin Reaves- Cedar Ridge - WSU
Hunter Daley- Jesseville - Henderson State
Kelvin Robinson- ECS- ?
Allie Freeman- ECS-?
Cade Crabtree- Cedar Ridge-?
I don't have any direct info to update you on the ECS guys; they both had FB offers but wanted to wait and see how the BBall season played out and what may happen there. I have heard, but not from kids or parents, that for KR it is Missouri State in FB for full ride, and some invited walkon offers, but whether those are still available who knows? For Allie I have heard AR Tech for FB.
I am not certain if either will play BBall in college.

brown2010

mr.gametime

Have anybody here seen Lawson Korita from Pulaski Academy...play in person and if so how does his game compare to Austin Reaves. .who would you say is better?..I only ask because he is another player I here alot of people say was under recruited but has signed to play for TULSA.

MA

This is the full Austin Reaves story. Take it or leave it. I will abbreviate it to bullets. I talked to him, family, coaches, ans went to schools/camps with him. This will be fairly long. I'll list offers and interest first.

Offers.
Wichita St
Arkansas St
South Dakota St
Montana St
Utah St

Interest:
Arkansas
Purdue
Ole Miss
Indiana
Vanderbilt
Iowa St
Texas
Missouri
Florida St
Gonzaga
And a lot of mid majors.

Reasons he didn't get recruited more:
Austin is a late bloomer. The kid still have never shaved his face.
He still has to have shoulder surgery.
He only played 1 summer of AAU. He was unknown in the recruiting world less than a year ago.
Schools were afraid of his weight/strength
The ACT came up. But it was NOT a big concern because everyone knew his GPA was pretty high and his superscore was pretty good.
Between our Wichita visit and his commitment he was called by most of those high majors telling him to wait because they were coming to see him within the next couple of weeks. They even gave him dates. He just wanted to be a shocker.
If he hadn't committed he would have 10-15 offers right now and several would be high major.

Moonshiner

Looks like the staff at Wichita State did a great job selling their program.  Would've been interesting to see what kind of interest he would've received after his tournament performance.

Ctucker

I think it will be a great fit for him! I think Austin will do fine because he has the drive to be successful! Is Cade going to play anywhere?

farfromgroovins

Good to see these young men getting an opportunity to play at the next level. Wish them all the best of luck.

I didn't get to watch Reaves much but given the state of the Hogs, the Shockers was probably the best fit for him. I could see him being a true PG and not being asked to score so much. He has that basketball savvy and will have athletes around him that are just as capable as him to score. Not knocking his HS coach or players around him but he scored 40+ per game because he was the best player on the court and you wanted him with the ball in his hands. At Wichita State, he will have options around him.
I could see him filling up the stat sheet every night. 12pt / 5 reb / 8 assists for example. Probably see some triple doubles out of him when he bulks up and able to hit the boards more.
Not that anyone needed to get my confirmation on him. I'm sure Gregg Marshall's opinion carries a little more weight than most on here :)

Timberwolf08

You'd be surprised how little weight that opinion carries on this board. Thanks for the nice words about Austin. +1

Longfellow

I think he'll be a solid player at Wichita State, but average 8 assists per game? Not even close. Only two guys averaged 8 assists per game in D-1 basketball this year, and one is a likely first round pick next year. Not one of the top 5 PG's in this draft class averaged 8 assists. Only two averaged 7

farfromgroovins

Quote from: Longfellow on March 15, 2016, 10:17:20 am
I think he'll be a solid player at Wichita State, but average 8 assists per game? Not even close. Only two guys averaged 8 assists per game in D-1 basketball this year, and one is a likely first round pick next year. Not one of the top 5 PG's in this draft class averaged 8 assists. Only two averaged 7

Yes, not going to average 8 assists per game. I was just showing the stat line as an example.
I could see a Wichita State victory where someone on their team gets MVP for scoring 20-25 and there is Austin with a nice, solid, quiet stat line. And I am thinking Junior/Senior year when we see this happen. Just my $0.02

ballaj21

Yes. I agree with groovins. I like that guy at Texas A&M. Caruso maybe. He just seems to always make great plays yet doesn't get the big recognition like other guys.

fbhound

I have heard that a couple of very good 3A seniors who played basketball and had a lot of honors are not going to college or perhaps to a much lower level than expected ... The kids need to know that being a great athlete does not get you ahead in life unless you can get that scholarship and good grades and ACT scores. Otherwise, within 5 more weeks they are no longer students in high school and will not play in college. Make those grades and study as hard as you play ball or it's all over after you graduate.

dentist15

Quote from: fbhound on April 17, 2016, 08:00:54 pm
I have heard that a couple of very good 3A seniors who played basketball and had a lot of honors are not going to college or perhaps to a much lower level than expected ... The kids need to know that being a great athlete does not get you ahead in life unless you can get that scholarship and good grades and ACT scores. Otherwise, within 5 more weeks they are no longer students in high school and will not play in college. Make those grades and study as hard as you play ball or it's all over after you graduate.

+1...well said, not enough high school athletes realize this until its too late. And in addition to having plenty of ability/talent for the next level, almost all of them have also got the brains, if they'd apply themselves to their studies with half the dedication they put to athletics.

cdelaney

I've heard that Kelvin Robinson has committed/signed with Appalachian State for basketball. Sun Belt school so he will be playing in Jonesboro and LR.
Also heard that Ali Freeman will be signing at Ouachita, supposedly for FB but will try to play basketball as well? I am not sure how solid this is.

redwolf99

Quote from: cdelaney on April 18, 2016, 10:10:51 am
I've heard that Kelvin Robinson has committed/signed with Appalachian State for basketball. Sun Belt school so he will be playing in Jonesboro and LR.
Also heard that Ali Freeman will be signing at Ouachita, supposedly for FB but will try to play basketball as well? I am not sure how solid this is.

I heard the same on  Kelvin Robinson

Longfellow

Colby Whitlow made the team at Arkansas Tech as a walk-on. Tia Gadberry signed with The University of the Ozarks. Savannah Hodges signed with Hendrix University

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas