• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is when I miss overalls

Started by Ponca, March 12, 2016, 08:26:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponca

This is when I miss overalls.

Can you imagine?

Forrest City and Glasper? Cedar Ridge and Reaves? The almighty Parkview? Baptist Prep and their 7-footers? Even the scrappy Bay. Cabot is almost an afterthought and they're 7A champ. And if you ask Bulldog nation, Earle is unbeatable. Overalls would be awesome this year... if there was one.

Black and Gold

It really would be awesome! I think it would come down to CR and either Forrest City or Bentonville

ZoneBuster

Quote from: Black and Gold on March 12, 2016, 08:30:48 pm
It really would be awesome! I think it would come down to CR and either Forrest City or Bentonville

Who invited Bentonville?? lol

I would love to see this. Parkview has most talent but could be beat by any of the other champions if the stars aligned.

Ponca

Parkview would be favorite. Bay would be big underdog. But after that, it's wide open. Forrest City is unreal. Baptist Prep has the 7-footers. Ceder Ridge has the best player. And Bulldog nation would tell you Earle is unbeatable. And who's Cabot? And they won 7A?

ZoneBuster

Quote from: Ponca on March 12, 2016, 08:45:32 pm
Parkview would be favorite. Bay would be big underdog. But after that, it's wide open. Forrest City is unreal. Baptist Prep has the 7-footers. Ceder Ridge has the best player. And Bulldog nation would tell you Earle is unbeatable. And who's Cabot? And they won 7A?

Would put more people in BWA than the hogs did this year lol.

Ponca

Quote from: ZoneBuster on March 12, 2016, 08:48:14 pm
Would put more people in BWA than the hogs did this year lol.

Arkansas Activities Association should take note. They turned people away for the Cabot/Bentonville game last night. Just imagine this final 7.

Cabot
Bye

Baptist Prep
Cedar Ridge

Forrest City
Earle

Parkview
Bay

Ponca

I'd pay money to see Forrest City Vs Earle alone. That game would be up-and-down like you would not believe. Forrest City by 10+ but still that game would be exhausting.

neds

They played earlier this year. Earle didn't do well

Black and Gold

Lol sorry guys. I forgot that Bville lost.

Ponca

That being the bracket... The Parkview/Forrest City Semi-Final game would be epic. But I expect they'd play Cedar Ridge in the Final.

neds

I think depth would cost CR against Parkview for sure and maybe Cabot also

NEark tigers

Quote from: neds on March 12, 2016, 09:44:12 pm
News Flash: Earle DID NOT play Forrest City this year....Please do your research and try again....

farfromgroovins

I think CR would have a hard time with Baptist Prep. CTown gave up offensive rebounds to CR today and that isn't going to happen much with BP. That is assuming Reaves misses shots. Getting to the rim would definitely be tougher but no one has proven he can be stopped yet.

It is just so tough for the the smaller schools to have the depth of the larger schools. 7A & 6A champs usually put 5 guys on the floor that are going to be playing college ball at some level somewhere. It would be fun to watch for sure and I miss them because of the Hoosiers opportunity but if you look at the overalls from 1972 - 1992, only 4 times had a school won that wasn't from 1 of the top 2 classifications.

Last overalls I watched was in 1990 when the Ken Biley led Pine Bluff Zebras beat the undefeated Jerry Bridges' coached Caddo Hills Indians in the overall finals. It was a good game but too much Biley in the middle proved to be too much for the undersized Indians.
I won't forget the disappointment on the players and fans faces when they realized there wouldn't be an undefeated dream season ending up just 1 game short. I'm sure they've all moved past that now and realize what they accomplished  but it is tough to see so many champions end their season with a loss.

Ponca

Quote from: farfromgroovins on March 12, 2016, 11:48:51 pm
I think CR would have a hard time with Baptist Prep. CTown gave up offensive rebounds to CR today and that isn't going to happen much with BP. That is assuming Reaves misses shots. Getting to the rim would definitely be tougher but no one has proven he can be stopped yet.

It is just so tough for the the smaller schools to have the depth of the larger schools. 7A & 6A champs usually put 5 guys on the floor that are going to be playing college ball at some level somewhere. It would be fun to watch for sure and I miss them because of the Hoosiers opportunity but if you look at the overalls from 1972 - 1992, only 4 times had a school won that wasn't from 1 of the top 2 classifications.

Last overalls I watched was in 1990 when the Ken Biley led Pine Bluff Zebras beat the undefeated Jerry Bridges' coached Caddo Hills Indians in the overall finals. It was a good game but too much Biley in the middle proved to be too much for the undersized Indians.
I won't forget the disappointment on the players and fans faces when they realized there wouldn't be an undefeated dream season ending up just 1 game short. I'm sure they've all moved past that now and realize what they accomplished  but it is tough to see so many champions end their season with a loss.

smart guy.

I posted this here because the 3A board is most active board here. It's not always the most intellectual board except neds.

post this in 2A? Bulldog nation goes apeshit.

post this in 5A or higher? They don't give a *.

post this in 3A? that's where Arkansas basketball pulse is at.

Ponca

Quote from: farfromgroovins on March 12, 2016, 11:48:51 pm

I still watch that Caddo Hills game. Overalls are epic. Parkdale baby!

xadboy

Yea I checked out the other classification boards and was surprised as to how few comments. 3A is by far the most passionate it seems, just going off of the number of posts.

Ctucker

i was thinking if not a overall, I would like to see a all star game with just players from state finals players.

Black and Gold

How would you select the players for the teams Ctucker? I don't and East vs. West would work because one side might have more teams in it. You could do a draft style. That might work

neds

Quote from: neds on March 12, 2016, 09:44:12 pm

L is correct it wasn't Forrest City that beat the brakes off of Earle in the holiday tournament in Harrison. It was El Dorado that beat them 99-49.

NEark tigers

Quote from: neds on March 13, 2016, 11:09:17 am
L is correct it wasn't Forrest City that beat the brakes off of Earle in the holiday tournament in Harrison. It was El Dorado that beat them 99-49.
POS got it right, but it was that same Earle team that opened up a can on those "recruits" in that same holiday tournament in Harrison by AND got rolled again 74-50 at the House of Nation on January 12, 2016.

Earle now leads the series, 3-2.

8X WORLD CHAMPIONS

Head Lion

I remember watching Keith Lee keep West Memphis 60 game winning streak alive in finals over LR Central, led by Dennis Nutt. WM was down 7 with 1:07 left and came back and won by 1 before the 3pt line. Greatest hi school game, that I ever saw at UCA.

ZoneBuster

Championship teams may not like the idea of losing a last game, but I bet or hope most would welcome the challenge. As a competitor, you would brag about being the best in the state but would truly want to know if your team was the best overall.

Being crowned the true best team in the state would just add more pride in winning it all without taking away from other accomplishments.

I think most kids at a lower level would welcome the chance to compete at the higher level.

Markadomous

1986. Dermott AA over Hope AAA. Where was the big boys that year? 1982 Gordon over LR Hall. Gordon AA over Hall 5A 6A whatever they was. They beat em. The reason we don't have it anymore is because of upsets like this. It makes the big schools look really bad when they get beat by lower classes. 20% of the time the big dogs got beat

Markadomous

Ctucker

Black and gold I don't no either. There is just so much talent I would just to like to watch a game with all that talent! All Star game is all seniors and you don't get all the best players. I was just thinking out loud!lol

Head Lion

How bout the year Class B Parkdale, with Ronald Clairborn, took down class A Marmaduke in the finals. I believe it was 78, Clairborn had 39, with no 3 pt line & I know 7-8 shots were from the next county over.

Radiotalker

Quote from: Head Lion on March 13, 2016, 07:41:49 pm
How bout the year Class B Parkdale, with Ronald Clairborn, took down class A Marmaduke in the finals. I believe it was 78, Clairborn had 39, with no 3 pt line & I know 7-8 shots were from the next county over.

It was 79.......beat Osceola 1st game

Oldref

Quote from: Ponca on March 12, 2016, 09:40:09 pm
Arkansas Activities Association should take note. They turned people away for the Cabot/Bentonville game last night. Just imagine this final 7.

Cabot
Bye

Baptist Prep
Cedar Ridge

Forrest City
Earle

Parkview
Bay

I think every one of these games could be competitive even Bay against Parkview. Bay played Forrest City at Jonesboro without Pritchett and almost won. Lost by 3 I think. All of these are talented teams and none are just completely overpowering. Knowing the AAA they would probably want to do it at some gym that holds 750 people. :-)

farfromgroovins

Quote from: Markadomous on March 13, 2016, 06:15:07 pm
1986. Dermott AA over Hope AAA. Where was the big boys that year? 1982 Gordon over LR Hall. Gordon AA over Hall 5A 6A whatever they was. They beat em. The reason we don't have it anymore is because of upsets like this. It makes the big schools look really bad when they get beat by lower classes. 20% of the time the big dogs got beat

I guess we view those stats (20% vs 80%) with a different perspective. You show the few times they've done it and I am pointing out that most of the times they don't.

But hey, I like HS bball so let's have at it but I think they need to take the champ and runner-up. They already take multiple from district and regionals.

farfromgroovins

Quote from: Ponca on March 13, 2016, 01:48:22 am
I still watch that Caddo Hills game. Overalls are epic. Parkdale baby!

What year did Parkdale consolidate?
Didn't the Dragons win Class B their last year before consolidation?
My alma mater (CSJ) would let teams use our gym to practice when they were in town for overalls at UCA and I remember their bus sitting in our gym parking lot with writing all over it;

State Champs!
Class B Champs
We're #1

But the one I remember most was; "The Last Dragons"

HorseFeathers

92 or 93 I believe is when Parkdale closed

xadboy

There was some great games during the overalls. But back then we only had 5 classifications (AAAA, AAA, AA, A and B). There was some blow out games, but for the most part the games were competitive with the upset occasionally. There was one year that a class B team knocked off Parkview, it might have been caddo hills. Overalls were great fun to watch because usually you got to see the best talent in Arkansas.

cdelaney

Quote from: Ponca on March 12, 2016, 08:26:24 pm
This is when I miss overalls.

TSC has them in all sizes and colors,reasonably priced

ISU7

Quote from: Oldref on March 13, 2016, 08:42:03 pm
I think every one of these games could be competitive even Bay against Parkview. Bay played Forrest City at Jonesboro without Pritchett and almost won. Lost by 3 I think. All of these are talented teams and none are just completely overpowering. Knowing the AAA they would probably want to do it at some gym that holds 750 people. :-)
Bay lost to a weak RiverCrest team at the end of the season. A game with Parkview would be over at the half in Parkview favor. ;D 8)

sevenof400

This is not exactly on topic, but....

Enter this as a thread title in the double entendre derby...

BoxNOne

Quote from: ISU7 on March 15, 2016, 05:02:55 pm
Bay lost to a weak RiverCrest team at the end of the season. A game with Parkview would be over at the half in Parkview favor. ;D 8)

I agree ISU. Bay is a great 1A program but would have no shot at Parkview.

Silky Johnson

March 19, 2016, 03:43:26 pm #36 Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:55:45 pm by Silky Johnson
Bay wouldn't beat Parkview but the loss to Rivercrest was one of their worst games. You realize one game doesn't make a season, had Bay played like they did @ crest they wouldn't have won 1A state. Emerson and guy were both much better than rivercrest. Heck 2 or 3 of Bay's losses were games they should've won and they thought they won before the game started. Those games aren't exactly that big of a deal when you come focused during the postseason, 37-7 or 44-0 they still get rings

Congrats to all the state championship teams 1A-7A!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas