• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Centerpoint Vs. Cedar Ridge

Started by CHSKnightsFan, March 05, 2016, 01:00:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NEA Razorback olfan

March 06, 2016, 08:57:01 am #100 Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:25:34 am by NEA Razorback olfan
Reaves basketball IQ is off the charts!!
I watched him play all the 4th and 2 Overtimes with 4 fouls without fouling out,
With only one I thought could go either way on a charge call when he was on defense. He did let a few layups go by but wisely did so, That was impressive.

This year you can't even put two hands on a player without it being called a foul !!
Seen it called that way in just about every game this year!!
Especially guards!!

Congrats on CP great year!!
It's over , time to start working on next years team to get back and go all the way next year. Good news Reaves won't be back next year!!

ZoneBuster

March 06, 2016, 09:18:56 am #101 Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:22:02 am by ZoneBuster
Again, look at the rules. Like NEA razorback fan said, 2 hands on a player is an automatic foul, or should be. Honestly refs should be calling a ton of fouls each game.

The problem is consistency with calling those fouls. But if a team is playing a great guard and can't stay in front of them with their feet, when they use their hands they will get fouls called. So it may seem like the player is being protected when he's really not.

But again all I've seen of reaves is on YouTube lol

BBall fans

Quote from: Black and Gold on March 06, 2016, 08:41:57 am
The only thing I've pulled from this thread is you either love Reeves or you hate Reeves. There is obviously no in between

I disagree.  No one has a problem with Reaves, in fact, even when he and his team beat our teams, most of us who are true basketball fans can marvel at and admire his talent.  I think what's really confusing here for a lot of us is the predicament of the referees.  I actually feel sorry for the refs, I'm not sure they know what to do in a situation where one player of extraordinary ability plays on the same court with "average" high school players.  Have you ever watched a pee-wee basketball game where the youngsters don't have enough body control to keep from flinging their bodies against others?  And now imagine putting an adult player in the middle of those flinging bodies, there's going to be a lot of contact.  Do you call fouls against the adult who runs over the bodies flinging themselves in his way or feel sorry for the pee wee's who can't stop the contact?  It's similar for Reaves in a typical high school game, and I'm not sure the Refs even know how to call it sometimes.  Reaves is simply able to move his body in a way different from any other player his age, and that makes the normal contact rules for fouls go out the window.  The Centerpoint/Cedar Ridge never got "out of hand", but the Lamar/Cedar Ridge game actually got a little scary with how rough the Refs let it get.  They never should have let it get to that point, but it looked like the Refs, because of Reaves, honestly didn't know how to call that game.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: BBall fans on March 06, 2016, 10:00:28 am
I disagree.  No one has a problem with Reaves, in fact, even when he and his team beat our teams, most of us who are true basketball fans can marvel at and admire his talent.  I think what's really confusing here for a lot of us is the predicament of the referees.  I actually feel sorry for the refs, I'm not sure they know what to do in a situation where one player of extraordinary ability plays on the same court with "average" high school players.  Have you ever watched a pee-wee basketball game where the youngsters don't have enough body control to keep from flinging their bodies against others?  And now imagine putting an adult player in the middle of those flinging bodies, there's going to be a lot of contact.  Do you call fouls against the adult who runs over the bodies flinging themselves in his way or feel sorry for the pee wee's who can't stop the contact?  It's similar for Reaves in a typical high school game, and I'm not sure the Refs even know how to call it sometimes.  Reaves is simply able to move his body in a way different from any other player his age, and that makes the normal contact rules for fouls go out the window.  The Centerpoint/Cedar Ridge never got "out of hand", but the Lamar/Cedar Ridge game actually got a little scary with how rough the Refs let it get.  They never should have let it get to that point, but it looked like the Refs, because of Reaves, honestly didn't know how to call that game.

+1

BigMan15

What surprised me was how many times Reaves held pushed and handchecked Brunt and nothing was called. Crabtree would run over or push down people setting screens and nothing was called. I'm not a hater of Cedar in fact I thought Cedar was 15 points better than Centerpoint regardless but the refs made the game look like they were helping Cedar.

NewRecruit

There is no doubt Cedar is a great team and Reaves is an awesome player. I think it will be a good game in the finals with Charleston, and if Charleston will take notice to what Centerpoint did in the first quarter defending Reaves and somehow pull that off for 4 quarters they may have chance to pull off the upset. As for Centerpoint,  they had a season to remember and should be proud of what they accomplished. They are a great team, with great coaches, and an unbelievable fan base. Yes, their fans get a little rowdy, but it's nice to see that much passion for the game and support from small towns.

neds

Short of another injury (eye cut) I don't see them stopping him from scoring

CHSKnightsFan

It was a great ride and ultimately every team but one goes home with a loss! Reaves was as advertised but did think he cleared a lot with his elbow. Congrats to Cedar on a great season. Good luck in the finals.

ReddieKnightTrojan

I'm torn between wanting CR to win or the underdog to knock them off.

ag67

I was just there in hopes to watch a good game and see if what I had been hearing about Reeves was true. The kid is very good and has a very high BB IQ. I have played and watched years of  bb. There is no way to deny his talent and he is deserving to play college ball. With that being said, I think that that the refs protected him way too much. I seen him pushing off with his left hand and the refs calling a check foul on CP defenders. He hung on to Brunts jersey 90% of the time. CP couldn't breath without getting a foul. CP had him stopped in the 1st half and I believe would have continued to do so if they had not gotten in undeserved foul foul trouble. I felt like they protected him to the extent that they took CP out of the game. CP most likely would not have won but I believe it would have been a lot different game if it had been called across the board. CR was defiantly not 30 pts better. I would have liked to see these two teams meet up and play on a fair level. Would have been a good game.

Ctucker

That's funny guy sitting right beside me at work that was at the game said that they didn't call bout about a quater of the fouls against reaves. So I guess opionion vary. So let's quit taking about it it's over and that game will never be replayed so move on!

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: Ctucker on March 07, 2016, 10:18:47 pm
That's funny guy sitting right beside me at work that was at the game said that they didn't call bout about a quater of the fouls against reaves. So I guess opionion vary. So let's quit taking about it it's over and that game will never be replayed so move on!

I strongly disagree! This game will be replayed over and over again in the minds of the seniors from Centerpoint who fouled out while guarding a player who was pushing off the majority of the game and not getting called for it. It does matter, because with all the complaints about the officiating this year, something must be done to prevent this from happening in the future. I honestly do not think that the refs were maliciously trying to hurt CPs chances of playing a complete game in one of the biggest moments of their sports life, (a life that most of them had committed to since diapers) I think they were just inept and poorly trained. It can and should be fixed so that these same complaints are not echoed next year and beyond.

Longfellow

I'll say this about the Cedar/McGehee game: Reaves could've had about 12 offensive fouls in the first half. He also could've shot about 40 free throws. That's really not an exaggeration. He does tend to clear with his left arm, but he takes more contact driving to the hoop than anyone I've seen. A friend of mine who watched his games against Lamar and Centerpoint said about the same thing

Timberwolf08

Quote from: Longfellow on March 08, 2016, 02:17:34 pm
I'll say this about the Cedar/McGehee game: Reaves could've had about 12 offensive fouls in the first half. He also could've shot about 40 free throws. That's really not an exaggeration. He does tend to clear with his left arm, but he takes more contact driving to the hoop than anyone I've seen. A friend of mine who watched his games against Lamar and Centerpoint said about the same thing

+1.

I said in another thread that we all know Austin does that, but if the refs don't make space for him by calling the foul, he has every right to make it himself...if it's being let go both ways I don't see a problem.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: Longfellow on March 08, 2016, 02:17:34 pm

Centerpoint was working hard denying the ball and trapping Reaves. (this is the key to beating CR, but it has to be a full court deny the whole game and with multiple players to avoid fouling out - every effort should be taken to keep CR out of the bonus as long as possible) It was very effective in the first and half of the second period until foul trouble started. Remember, Austin's first offensive foul was half way through the third when it really didn't matter anymore. I know for a fact (it happened right in front of me) a CP defender sprinted to the sideline and cut Reaves off while another defender was trying to keep up. The one that cut him off was backpedaling and giving ground when Austin lowered his shoulder and ran completely over the kid. The official called it a blocking foul. If someone is backpedaling and giving ground and the offensive player lowers his shoulder and runs over the kid...I'd say it would be an offensive foul.

Marblehog

The sportsmanship from Centerpoint was really embarrassing.  The Reaves kid showed was an awesome player and even better attitude.  I would hate to be a senior and end my career with a tech in the 3rd quarter like one of Centerpoints players did.  Honestly they should have been called for more techs.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: Marblehog on March 08, 2016, 02:51:26 pm
The sportsmanship from Centerpoint was really embarrassing.  The Reaves kid showed was an awesome player and even better attitude.  I would hate to be a senior and end my career with a tech in the 3rd quarter like one of Centerpoints players did.  Honestly they should have been called for more techs.

I don't know what game you were watching, but from my vantage point, Centerpoint was working their tail off only to be rewarded with foul trouble. Defending the greatest player in the state of Arkansas is hard enough without the psychological impact of having your hard work negated and knowing that you will be forearm shivered and hit repeatedly by the ball handler and him not get any type of foul.
You can talk about me or our fans as much as you like, but I would stongly encourage you not to insinuate that our players were anything other that staunch competitors who passionately played their hearts out.

Marblehog

Oh they played their hearts out and they had a great team.  I just thought they lost their heads a little bit.  I'm a neutral observer with no dog in the fight.

Marblehog

I couldn't figure out why they kept guarding Reaves full court.  That is what caused all the foul trouble

Marblehog

No.11 was a very good player for Centerpoint.  Is he going to play in college?

LAfootball fan

Quote from: Timberwolf08 on March 08, 2016, 02:41:33 pm

+1.

I said in another thread that we all know Austin does that, but if the refs don't make space for him by calling the foul, he has every right to make it himself...if it's being let go both ways I don't see a problem.

You guys complaining about the calls need to understand the refs are in a no win situation due to how the rules committee wants the game called.  Right now the EMPHASIS is on FREEDOM of movement for the offensive player out on the court away from the basket.  If you as a coach decide you want your players hounding a ball carrier all over the court then you need to be ready to get called for a ton more fouls than a team that is going to play a softer defense.   Arkansas gets hammered by fouls out on the perimeter and most of the fouls are just plain nit picky but they are called due to the freedom of movement thing.  Offense is going to get the benefit of the doubt the majority of the time now, so as a fan, the days of players taking charges are almost gone.  Scoring is the name of the game and coaches are either going to adjust or they are going to have to find a way to win shooting far less free throws than his opponent.   I think they have gone too far and I am sure the refs aren't real happy about it either.   It kills the flow of a game, discourages hard nose defense, and if you have little depth it can really make it tougher for you to win.   Reaves has just learned to play the game how it is being called.  If he gets a couple quick fouls for pushing off, you can bet he will cut back on it but until then, he is going to take advantage of it like any good player would do.  If you notice, MOST really good ball handlers use their off hand to push off a defender and they RARELY get called for it, so it is not just a Reaves thing but just how refs usually call games these days.

ReddieKnightTrojan

@CurryLegion

Quote from: LAfootball fan on March 08, 2016, 03:38:59 pm

You guys complaining about the calls need to understand the refs are in a no win situation due to how the rules committee wants the game called.  Right now the EMPHASIS is on FREEDOM of movement for the offensive player out on the court away from the basket.  If you as a coach decide you want your players hounding a ball carrier all over the court then you need to be ready to get called for a ton more fouls than a team that is going to play a softer defense.   Arkansas gets hammered by fouls out on the perimeter and most of the fouls are just plain nit picky but they are called due to the freedom of movement thing.  Offense is going to get the benefit of the doubt the majority of the time now, so as a fan, the days of players taking charges are almost gone.  Scoring is the name of the game and coaches are either going to adjust or they are going to have to find a way to win shooting far less free throws than his opponent.   I think they have gone too far and I am sure the refs aren't real happy about it either.   It kills the flow of a game, discourages hard nose defense, and if you have little depth it can really make it tougher for you to win.   Reaves has just learned to play the game how it is being called.  If he gets a couple quick fouls for pushing off, you can bet he will cut back on it but until then, he is going to take advantage of it like any good player would do.  If you notice, MOST really good ball handlers use their off hand to push off a defender and they RARELY get called for it, so it is not just a Reaves thing but just how refs usually call games these days.
Couldn't have said it better. Thank you.

Black and Gold

We're still talking about this?

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: Black and Gold on March 08, 2016, 09:14:51 pm

We're trying to make it a legendary thread

xadboy

It's going to take about 20 more to do that.

ISU7

Quote from: Black and Gold on March 08, 2016, 09:14:51 pm
Lol this game was played 4 days ago. That guy has lost a lot of sleep over this game, if you don't believe me go back and look at some of the times he started a post. lol  ;D 8)

ISU7

Quote from: bocatfanforlife on March 05, 2016, 11:38:34 pm
This is in my top 5 of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on fearless.
Even in Mexico it's number uno.....lol 8)

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: xadboy on March 09, 2016, 11:07:41 am
It's going to take about 20 more to do that.

20 more what?
People?

xadboy

ReddieKnightTrojan

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas