• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kevin K

Started by Brian G, December 06, 2017, 08:44:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on December 08, 2017, 09:21:05 pm
Between these 2 schools in the last 10 seasons, statistically PA would be 1 with Greenwood being 2.  PA 124 wins and 6 State Championships and Greenwood with 115 wins and 4 State Championships over the last 10 seasons.
Point taken. They are equal in state titles for the time Jones has been at Greenwood. The point is still valid that those two teams are the pinnacle of Arkansas Football and one is public and one is private and both coaches are alone at the mountain top of Arkansas coaching success since 2000.

Grond

I must confess that I am very curious about how Kelley would do at the college level. But it is a very different world. In college, he would be dealing with very talented athletes that got recognized for their ability, and are very used to doing things "their way".

So, the challenge for him at the college level would be getting players to "buy in", or follow his direction. Not sure how well that would work.

I am also curious how he would do at a 6A or 7A high school..........but has he turned PA into a 6A level school? I would really like to see PA move up to 6A in football, but I have no idea how likely that is.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 08, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
Point taken. They are equal in state titles for the time Jones has been at Greenwood. The point is still valid that those two teams are the pinnacle of Arkansas Football and one is public and one is private and both coaches are alone at the mountain top of Arkansas coaching success since 2000.

I agree, just can't let the Bulldogs they are better than PA haha.  The series is tied after all.

Wahls

Don't be disingenuous guys - there is certainly an advantage of a private school from a demographics standpoint.

By and large, you're not dealing with kids that don't care, or are wondering if they will have food when they get home. I bet if you surveyed the student body of say, PA and Shiloh on extra curriculars and compared them to a public school, I would imagine that there would be a startling difference. That suddenly becomes pretty relevant when we do classifications in sports by the number of students.

Anyway, back on topic:

I'd be interested to see if he shifts his no punt philosophy at the college game, because a lot of the stuff he does at the high school level would be giving away free points in college.

High Voltage

Let's face it folks, CKK has been extremely successful at PA since he has been there and he has to get a ton of credit for that. He has developed a philosophy from an offensive and special teams standpoint that has been off the charts crazy and successful.

Now, how would it be in a higher classification and public school. I think he could be successful but it would have to be the right school. Give him Fayetteville or Cabot and his chances would be great and most likely would work just the same as it  has at PA. Give him Catholic or Central and it would be much harder. With CKK's system he not only has to have the buy in from the school and players but from parents as well. As crazy as his system is there has to be a certain work ethic and you have to wonder if that could happen at a school that doesn't have the support like PA.

College level, especially in the SEC? He would have to change some of his strategy. No way does not punting and onside every time work in the SEC. It would have been a disaster to make him the HC at Arkansas from a recruiting standpoint alone.

AT

Question for everyone that talks about the advantages PA has. Does everyone remember that PA does move up one classification based on their numbers to try and offset those advantages a little bit?

Bottom line: Coach KK has won 4 straight titles in a classification that numbers say he shouldn't be in. I know some take that for granted, but it should be noted.

AT

To BG's OP. I thought KK might get a look from this new UCA staff. Have they hired their OC already?

Mijally2

Quote from: Hogman2018 on December 08, 2017, 01:05:23 pm
Tell Kelly to go coach LR Fair and see if he is a genius! This is so funny thinking he can coach at the college levei not punting and onside kicking!
The fact you think he would onside kick and not punt every time verifies you dont get it. He does it in high school with PA because it works at that level. It's the passing game and play calling thats progressive and he would out work others to succeed. You kids crack me up with such narrow thinking.

STBruin

December 19, 2017, 03:02:31 pm #58 Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:50:10 pm by STBruin
Quote from: Almatrackster on December 11, 2017, 05:57:34 pm
To BG's OP. I thought KK might get a look from this new UCA staff. Have they hired their OC already?

They hired an ex-player...QB from the national championship team, I believe. Problem with Kelley is that in any college the kids have to buy in...have to have trust in the coach to have their back...

the voice

December 19, 2017, 08:48:07 pm #59 Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:50:00 pm by the voice
P.A. is beatable, you have to be good and make plays.  No on side kicks recovered or extra possessions, been through this before. Kk does a good job and is prepared for opponents. LRM showed again with others they are beatable. The next team to beat them is going to earn regardless of when it is. They have good players this is true, but most title contenders do. No denying he's a good coach. Cocky yes , confidence comes with the territory. As much as I was angry for piling the score on in the past ( still hate when teams do ) he earned my respect back the past two seasons.

the voice

Quote from: STBruin on December 19, 2017, 03:02:31 pm
They hired an ex-player...QB from the national championship team, I believe. Problem with Kelley is that in any college the kids have to buy in...have to have trust in the coach to have their back...
To your point here , most college players do buy in and work unbelievably hard. Especially the smaller schools. There's no lazy college players for the most part. They don't make past freshman year. The commitment to play takes so much. It's about 20-25 hours a week plus class , then studying, then eating , then sleep. 

STBruin

December 20, 2017, 07:26:34 am #61 Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:53:07 am by STBruin
Any sport in college...is a job.

Overdahill

Quote from: the voice on December 19, 2017, 08:54:00 pm
To your point here , most college players do buy in and work unbelievably hard. Especially the smaller schools. There's no lazy college players for the most part. They don't make past freshman year. The commitment to play takes so much. It's about 20-25 hours a week plus class , then studying, then eating , then sleep.

It was a lot more than 20-25 hours when I played, especially if you count travel time during the season.
We started with 60 freshman including walk-ons on day one and only 14 of us played all four years. It definitely took commitment and this was even b4 the big bucks era. I can hardly imagine the time and pressure now

the voice

Well that's practice during the week. Doesn't include Saturdays.  It's a job no doubt.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: the voice on December 20, 2017, 08:03:00 pm
Well that's practice during the week. Doesn't include Saturdays.  It's a job no doubt.

Games (includes any travel, pre-game meetings, warm-up, etc) count as only 3 hours toward your alotted 20 hours of practice/game plan meeting time for the week.  Also must have one "off day" per week during season.  The loophole is team organized activities such as compliance meetings can tack on another few hrs/week.

the voice

In the last 10 years the Bruins have 6 State Championships.
Including an a Smi-Final WIN at Greenwood in 2008.
And a second round WIN at Greenwood in 2009.

...Coach Kelley has 4 Consecutive State Championships, and 7 Total.
Who else can match tha?

Give Coach Kelley the Credit he Deserves and has Earned!

JessieP

Quote from: #5 on December 25, 2017, 09:49:15 pm
In the last 10 years the Bruins have 6 State Championships.
Including an a Smi-Final WIN at Greenwood in 2008.
And a second round WIN at Greenwood in 2009.

...Coach Kelley has 4 Consecutive State Championships, and 7 Total.
Who else can match tha?

Give Coach Kelley the Credit he Deserves and has Earned!

Absolutely, if there is one thing PA is missing it's adulation. I mean the school's PR department (The Arkansas Democrat Gazette) is carrying the majority of the load. We need more paper's writing love letters to KK. I still can't believe they wasted space covering NLR, Greenwood and Arkadelphia. Can anyone explain to me why schools are open on KK's birthday? Why aren't more highways named after him? We all know if there's one thing PA doesn't get, it's attention.

Give Coach Kelley the credit he deserves, give me a break. Trust me, the PA PR machine has made sure KK is bathing in endless praise.

Coach Kelley came to Pulaski Academy in 1997, OC.
2003 was his first year as Head Coach.
He had won Seven State Championships, including the last four in a row.
(2003, 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017)
His 2008 Team Beat Greenwood (at Greenwood) in the Semi-Finial Round.
Then in 2009 his Team Beat Greenwood again (at Greenwood) in the second round.

Get the facts correct and give this man and his coaching staff credit for what they have accomplished.

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: JessieP on December 26, 2017, 12:26:17 am
Absolutely, if there is one thing PA is missing it's adulation. I mean the school's PR department (The Arkansas Democrat Gazette) is carrying the majority of the load. We need more paper's writing love letters to KK. I still can't believe they wasted space covering NLR, Greenwood and Arkadelphia. Can anyone explain to me why schools are open on KK's birthday? Why aren't more highways named after him? We all know if there's one thing PA doesn't get, it's attention.

Give Coach Kelley the credit he deserves, give me a break. Trust me, the PA PR machine has made sure KK is bathing in endless praise.

His birthday is in July, so those schools aren't open.

MDXPHD

Where did that tweet go where KK was talking about how poorly coached the cowboys are? And saying he could coach them better? It was posted to this thread by someone last night I think.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 26, 2017, 11:07:50 am
Where did that tweet go where KK was talking about how poorly coached the cowboys are? And saying he could coach them better? It was posted to this thread by someone last night I think.

It's still on Twitter, he offered to give them free consultation if they wouldn't let him coach lol

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: JessieP on December 26, 2017, 12:26:17 am

Dude, you are walking a fine line. Do not cross it. I am not going to tolerate coach bashing.

MDXPHD

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 26, 2017, 11:33:54 am
It's still on Twitter, he offered to give them free consultation if they wouldn't let him coach lol

Lol I saw that. Good stuff. I wonder why it was removed from this thread though

JessieP

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 26, 2017, 03:18:19 pm
Lol I saw that. Good stuff. I wonder why it was removed from this thread though

I'm sure it was a tongue in cheek tweet for his friends, we all joke like that. They probably removed it so it didn't go viral. In this day and age the public has lost it's ability to take a joke. I know I have volunteered my services to many teams in many sports, no takers.

RD™

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on December 07, 2017, 07:29:46 pm
However, as you guys noted, he is very happy at PA, and unless he changes his mind, he will not leave for another high school job.

Carbon Copy on Rick Jones.

RD™

Quote from: #5 on December 26, 2017, 05:01:23 am

Officials decided that game. Spilled milk, carry on.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: RD™ on December 27, 2017, 02:49:22 pm
Officials decided that game. Spilled milk, carry on.

PA won that game 54-24,  officials accounted for that many points?

RD™

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 27, 2017, 09:20:33 pm
PA won that game 54-24,  officials accounted for that many points?
I quoted wrong one. Yes this one PA blasted us.

The other you know what I mean.

Spencer Harris caught the ball

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: RD™ on December 28, 2017, 03:01:29 pm
I quoted wrong one. Yes this one PA blasted us.

The other you know what I mean.

Spencer Harris caught the ball

Tough call, but obviously the ref agreed with Coach Kelley waving incomplete from the PA sideline 😀.   I'm not sure the referee's call determines the game.. final score was 21-14,but the play in question was 2 minutes before halftime on a 3rd and 11.

I do understand the frustration of those type of calls. 

JessieP

If that play happened before halftime it hardly dictated the outcome of the game. Watching the video it boggles the mind how anyone could deny it was a catch. I mean it wasn't even close, in the NFL the booth review would have taken 6 seconds. Again, before halftime it's not exactly an Oliver Stone movie.

RD™

That play was before end of the game. Not half time.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: RD™ on December 31, 2017, 11:39:19 am
That play was before end of the game. Not half time.

My bad.  I thought the scoreboard showed 2nd qtr.  Thx.

Coach T Wood

The play in question was right before the end of the first half. The scoreboard is correct. 3rd and 11.  About 2 minutes left in the half.  The score at half time was 0 to 0.   That also is reflected in the video.

Overdahill

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 31, 2017, 03:13:13 pm
My bad.  I thought the scoreboard showed 2nd qtr.  Thx.

you usually bad but not this time  ;D

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: JessieP on December 28, 2017, 10:51:36 pm
If that play happened before halftime it hardly dictated the outcome of the game. Watching the video it boggles the mind how anyone could deny it was a catch. I mean it wasn't even close, in the NFL the booth review would have taken 6 seconds. Again, before halftime it's not exactly an Oliver Stone movie.
It's mostly ruled not a catch because of the position of the officials. It's a five-man crew, and none of them would have the angle to see that it didn't hit the ground, but we're led to believe it hit the ground because the receiver dropped it but may have saved it from hitting ground with his legs. We are watching in super slow motion with a great angle they were not afforded.  It maybe the wrong call, but not necessarily a bad call. I don't think those are always one in the same.  If he catches the ball clean, then we never have this discussion.

I do think it is a far reach to say that was the difference in winning and losing and that the officials decided the game. 

JessieP

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on January 01, 2018, 10:43:08 am
It's mostly ruled not a catch because of the position of the officials. It's a five-man crew, and none of them would have the angle to see that it didn't hit the ground, but we're led to believe it hit the ground because the receiver dropped it but may have saved it from hitting ground with his legs. We are watching in super slow motion with a great angle they were not afforded.  It maybe the wrong call, but not necessarily a bad call. I don't think those are always one in the same.  If he catches the ball clean, then we never have this discussion.

I do think it is a far reach to say that was the difference in winning and losing and that the officials decided the game.

I agree, it was a missed call. It in no way shape or form had anything to do with the outcome, especially if it happened in the 2nd quarter. You are correct, seeing in fro different angles is worlds apart from having to make that call in real time. The refs missed that one, I wouldn't call it a bad call. It happens.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: #5 on December 26, 2017, 05:01:23 am
Coach Kelley came to Pulaski Academy in 1997, OC.
2003 was his first year as Head Coach.
He had won Seven State Championships, including the last four in a row.
(2003, 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017)
Then in 2009 his Team Beat Greenwood again (at Greenwood) in the second round.

Get the facts correct and give this man and his coaching staff credit for what they have accomplished.

No doubt it's impressive. Do it at a public school and it will be even more impressive...

scrapman

Take the steps that most HS coaches take when going to college. Go take a Quality control job then get promoted to RB Coach. After a few years move to WR coach and then become the OC. Put in time then maybe move up. This talk to jump directly to HC is nice but that level is much more than X and Os. Recruiting, dead periods, rules that are enforced, travel, APR, blue shirts, grey shirts, red shirts. Hard to jump in and coach if you have never done it. Hard to hire a HC that can't go in the road recruiting as soon as he gets the job bacause he hasn't passed the recruiting test.
I believe the NCAA just passed a rule that says you can't get hired by any school that has one of your players in the last 2 years or the next two years as well.
Lots of logistics go into this. I'm with the thought that says go turn around Fair or Vilonia and maybe it looks a little better. Rick Jones has been a great coach at many schools for years. For me, doing something at one school your whole career (private with multiple College players as well) is tough to compare.
He has had great success. He doesn't help himself though by all the self promoting and second guessing others.

AT

There have been a few that have made that jump straight to HC, though. Albeit with very mixed results.

beaverfan007

They recruit well  :D

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogman2018 on December 08, 2017, 01:05:23 pm
Tell Kelly to go coach LR Fair and see if he is a genius! This is so funny thinking he can coach at the college levei not punting and onside kicking!

Yep, if he insists on not punting on the College level, he will get his head handed to him on a silver platter.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: beaverfan007 on June 18, 2018, 08:27:50 am
They recruit well  :D
Which team do you support that got beat by PA?

Air Raider

Quote from: B.G. on December 06, 2017, 08:44:04 am
How long would you guess he'd stay at PA?

Is there reason to beleive he's reached his end game there and would want to accomplish more on another level?

Seems reasonable to assume he's reached an End Game moment.

Cabot has an opening...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas