• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Once again I need the veterans.

Started by JessieP, November 06, 2018, 12:55:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieP

Back at least 10 years ago when the 5A East was the 4A Helena-West Helena had a great team one year. They beat Batesville the last game of the year to claim the conference title. Here's the question, HWH had a DB who was all world. He was an ESPN 5 Star and made every major 5 Star ranking list. The Arkansas Democrat Gazette ran an article on him saying no one threw to his side of the field all year. He also played RB and ripped off a 95 yard td against us. Anyone remember his name? Whatever happened to him? I had heard he committed to Arkansas but had grade issue's, he would enroll at a JC to get his grades up. That was speculation, I'm not sure if it's accurate. Does this ring a bell to anyone? Can someone fill in the blanks?

Overdahill

November 06, 2018, 12:57:42 pm #1 Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:04:21 pm by Overdahill
Darrious Winston

Schefty

Quote from: JessieP on November 06, 2018, 12:55:11 pm
Back at least 10 years ago when the 5A East was the 4A Helena-West Helena had a great team one year. They beat Batesville the last game of the year to claim the conference title. Here's the question, HWH had a DB who was all world. He was an ESPN 5 Star and made every major 5 Star ranking list. The Arkansas Democrat Gazette ran an article on him saying no one threw to his side of the field all year. He also played RB and ripped off a 95 yard td against us. Anyone remember his name? Whatever happened to him? I had heard he committed to Arkansas but had grade issue's, he would enroll at a JC to get his grades up. That was speculation, I'm not sure if it's accurate. Does this ring a bell to anyone? Can someone fill in the blanks?

Darius Winston. Played 4 years at Arkansas. He was in and out of the starting lineup at Arkansas. Cincinatti Bengals picked him up in 2013 as an undrafted free agent but I do not think he stayed with them for that entire season.

JessieP

Thank you both. I knew the veterans with those big 'ol brains would know.

MDXPHD

They opened up with PA when he played there and he played well against them. beat PA. I just happened to attend that game. Pretty sure PA got their revenge on them later that year though.

Maynard G Krebs

HWH defeated PA in the opening game of the season and the two met in the state final (2008).. PA won the state title game against HWH by 3 points if my memory is correct.

I remember the t shirts that Winston's family wore.  The image on the front was a satellite photo of the world with verbiage to the effect that water covers two-thirds of the world and Darius covers the other third.  😀😀

He reallynever lived up to the expectations in Fayetteville.  Played inconsistently, being hot and cold in his performance.  I think his uncle (maybe cousin) is Dirt Winston

JessieP

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 06, 2018, 09:42:27 pm
HWH defeated PA in the opening game of the season and the two met in the state final (2008).. PA won the state title game against HWH by 3 points if my memory is correct.

I remember the t shirts that Winston's family wore.  The image on the front was a satellite photo of the world with verbiage to the effect that water covers two-thirds of the world and Darius covers the other third.  😀😀

He reallynever lived up to the expectations in Fayetteville.  Played inconsistently, being hot and cold in his performance.  I think his uncle (maybe cousin) is Dirt Winston

When it comes to high school kids, rankings can be a crap shoot. Kernels of popcorn, some pop some do not. Every year there are a few 5 Star kids who peaked in high school. By and large the recruiters know what their doing but sometimes a "can't miss" prospect misses.

Rocket23

He had the tools (speed and body), but had reputation of not being physical enough at the college level.

AirWarren

Quote from: Rocket23 on November 07, 2018, 08:12:45 am
He had the tools (speed and body), but had reputation of not being physical enough at the college level.

5 star rated DB that just never really panned out.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas