• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-4A in 2018

Started by beach bum, December 03, 2017, 10:52:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

December 03, 2017, 10:52:13 pm Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:57:11 pm by beach bum
Any of you Pea Ridge guys or anyone else in the conference even want to try and take a crack at how the 1-4A standings will go next year? I honestly do not have the slightest clue how the 2 through 6 spots will end up next year in this conference. Pea Ridge, Gravette, Gentry, and Prairie Grove lose way too much of their production for this conference to be competitive in my opinion when it comes to the playoffs next year. Here is my attempt at what will be a tough year to predict. The 1-4A may not be at the same level next year outside of Shiloh, but there should still be some parity in the middle of that league.

Favorite: Shiloh- I think the Saints have the most potential to do damage next year in the postseason and might be the only one carrying the torch

Battling for the 2 seed: Prairie Grove, Pea Ridge, Gravette- Even though these 3 schools lose practically all of their firepower from the last few years the simple fact the 1-4A could be as weak as its been it about 7 or 8 years means tradition will win these 3 schools some games next year. I'll give Prairie Grove the slightest of nods at the 2 seed simply thinking they will win with defense and in the trenches.

Looking to jump up into the top half: Lincoln, Gentry- I think out of these two teams Lincoln is the most likely to upset one of the 3 teams I listed in "battling for the 2 seed". Lincoln can score points and was playing much better the 2nd half of the year. I think they will carry that into the 2018 season and get the 5 seed if not upset somebody and get in that top half. Gentry loses their stud athlete and imo more likely will finish 6th or 7th before finishing in the top half of the conference. Lincoln is looking upward next year while Gentry headed backwards

Trying not to be last: Berryville, Green Forest- These poor rival schools do not have a lot to smile about. Poor Green Forest goes from playing Yellville and Marshall to Shiloh and Prairie Grove and others

prHOG13

Agree that Shiloh is the favorite, and will be for the next couple years imo.

As for PR, I'm not really sure where they turn at RB. Have a good idea at QB, and we should return several OL. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of firepower on offense next year, so there's too many unknowns to accurately predict anything on O. Defensively, we return a lot. All of our starting LB's and DL were Soph's and Jr's, and the majority of our secondary returns too.  Defensively we should be pretty good.

If I had to guess, I'd go with this as far as final conference predictions:
1- Shiloh
2- PG
3- Pea Ridge
4- Gravette
5- Lincoln
6- Gentry
7- Green Forest
8- Berryville

Rugman15

1. Shiloh

2 and 3. will be fought for by Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove and honestly can't decide.

4. Gravette

The rest are irrelevant though Lincoln should be better...they could steal that 4 spot. 

Thatoneguy2

1.Shiloh
2.PR
3.PG
4.Gravette
5.Gentry
6.Lincoln
7.Berryville
8.Green Forest

Shiloh- lost some talent but have more coming up.
PR-Lost most production players will be interesting to see whats in store.
PG-Lost some production but still should be good.

Dart@1090

1. Shiloh
2  PG (Because the Game with PR is at home)
3. PR
4. Gravette (But the Graduation of O'Brian will be extremely tough to replace)
5. Lincoln
6. Gentry (with there best Athlete graduating not sure what they have as a backup)
7. 8.  Berryville & Green Forest take your pick not really sure!

I really have a hard time seeing any team making a run in the playoffs.  PR will take some time to figure out there skilled positions loosing about 70% of there production to graduation.  I think Shiloh will be young, but can never count them out.  PG has some great coaching that seems to make them a competitor each year.  Should be fun to watch, an will be some really good players to watch.  But, as for the playoffs it will be tough just to get past the second round.

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

It looks a little bleak right now thinking about the conference for next year, but I am excited for it.
1-PG: the wing (T) machine chugs along to the top
2-$hiloh: a fair deal of talent
3-PR: Lose a lot in the skill positions
4-Gravete: Coach Harrelson will maintain the program despite losing O'Brien
5-Lincoln: someone has to travel 5 hours in November for AAA to make $$$
6-Gentry: Lose a lot of seniors, especially in both trenches, will have one returning starter for the o-line and none on the defensive line; thin thin thin
7-Berryville: winners of Carroll Carroll County Superbowl
8-Green Forest: adjusting to 4A

bilboswaggins

1-PG: defense carries them, offense does enough to win
2-$hiloh: a serious threat to be #1
3-PR: maybe bringing in transfers to be here
4-Gravete: Coach Harrelson will make them competitive
5-Lincoln: Just because everyone below won't beat them.
6-Gentry: maybe trade places with Berryville
7-Berryville: may trade places with Gentry
8-Green Forest: kek

RZback

Top four will still be the top 4 and the bottom will still be the bottom.   Of course we will see Green Forest instead of Huntsville but that will not change anything at the bottom except who might be last.

nuttinbuthogs

I see most people on this have Lincoln at 5, one at 6 for next year the same as was thought for this past season.   I just wonder why you all think Lincoln cannot get out of the bottom half and what you think they need to be doing differently.  Lincoln was 3-7, the junior high 5-5 and the 7th grade 0-9 I believe. 
What are schools like PG, PR and Shiloh and Gravette doing that we don't.

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on December 07, 2017, 10:17:49 am
I see most people on this have Lincoln at 5, one at 6 for next year the same as was thought for this past season.   I just wonder why you all think Lincoln cannot get out of the bottom half and what you think they need to be doing differently.  Lincoln was 3-7, the junior high 5-5 and the 7th grade 0-9 I believe. 
I can't speak to the specific problems of a team given my lack of knowledge on the situation, but I think a good foundation for any team to compete is a productive weightlifting program. It is hard to compete if you can't matchup with the opponent physically, and strength is easier to develop than speed(if speed can even really be developed). I played ball with low numbers on the team and our better years were when we conditioned harder, so that is something to consider too.

RZback

The obvious is developing enough talent to compete at the top level of the conference.  You should look inside the program to find out why that is.

bilboswaggins

Danny Abshier has given credit to the pee wee program in developing a winning program. Before the kids get to 7th grade, most have played for three years and know the basic offensive plays. A lot of kids are at the wrong position at the early years but the skills they learn early on helps the kids transition to a new position. By the time the kids get to senior high football, they can execute the wing T very well.

prHOG13

Quote from: bilboswaggins on December 07, 2017, 06:12:11 pm
Danny Abshier has given credit to the pee wee program in developing a winning program. Before the kids get to 7th grade, most have played for three years and know the basic offensive plays. A lot of kids are at the wrong position at the early years but the skills they learn early on helps the kids transition to a new position. By the time the kids get to senior high football, they can execute the wing T very well.
Pea Ridge has started coordinating their Pee Wee programs with the Jr High/High School coaches when Coach Neal got here to start implementing some of the terminology, drills, and some of the plays.... that way they aren't learning a completely new scheme when they start school ball. It really pays off down the road and I'm grateful Coach Neal opens up his staff to the youth program. It's obviously worked great for PG too for all these years Abshier has been there. Schools like Greenwood do the same thing.

bulldoghistorian

Just for fun, I guess.
1) Shiloh
2) Prairie Grove
3) Pea Ridge
4) Gravette
5) Lincoln
6) Gentry
7) Berryville
8) Green Forest

B&GT

Talent level and coaching obviously have a lot to do with it, but there are some other things. Attitude is a big one. Kids at PG, Pea Ridge, and Shiloh expect to win, and that goes a long way. It's hard to stay as motivated when you lose all the time, and it can be very hard to break that cycle (Just ask late 80s/early 90s PG, who at one point had the longest losing streak in the nation). That leads to another factor: Depth. The more success a team has, the more kids will want to be on the team. Being able to keep fresh legs on the field can make a world of difference, even if the subs are much less talented. Lincoln needs a coach that gets the kids excited and optimistic if they want to turn things around. They had a guy like that a few years ago, and he got fantastic results. His name escapes me. It's too bad they couldn't keep him, because I think Lincoln would be in the mix every year. Abshier was that coach for PG back in 94 or so when he inherited a dumpster fire and had us in the semifinals by 97.

Dart@1090

In 2013 Lincoln had probable the best running back in the state in Tyler Cummings, an a great Up an coming QB that moved to i think Bryant his dad was a coach an his name escapes me want to saw Drew.  They also had a linebacker that was an animal along with Cummings playing both ways.  The problem I see with Lincoln is its a town with very little growth its bookended by PG an OK, an that part of OK has little to no production to help Lincoln.  They have to recognize talent early an work with them.   I went to a pee wee game during the season an noticed that there was more people in the visiting stands than Home stands.  I am sure that most have to work weekends just to make ends meet, but I talked to some people an they said even highschool home games are that way.  You have to have excitement in your program, strong backing brings interest.  I'm sure they have a fine coach, but he cannot do it himself.  Lincoln is close, an when PG, PR, Gravette, Berryville move up to 5A soon I think they will do a lot better. 

nuttinbuthogs

That coach was Brad Harris and he left for defensive coordiantor job at Benton where he is now Head coach.  His son is Drew and was 6A football athlete of the year while at benton.   I agree Lincoln would be better had Harris and his staff stayed with him.  Kids liked them and played hard.  It was a great group of talent at that time but still I think we should be better than we are now.

Dart@1090

I really do like Lincoln's curb appeal the new football field an other facilities.  They are a massive upgrade.  But you are right Harris had something going there, an that is what it is going to take a coach that brings that excitement, an off season program that is second to none.  I know Shiloh, PG, an PR's off season is really good.  The sad part about Lincoln, Gentry, Berryville an GF they have to count on a hand full of athletes to play most all the sports, missing those workouts, an other parts that do make you better.  Growth is the Key.  PG, PR, an Shiloh have all benefited from it an the money making facilities second to none.   

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Dart@1090 on December 13, 2017, 05:59:59 pm
I really do like Lincoln's curb appeal the new football field an other facilities.  They are a massive upgrade. 

And we are supposed to complete the track this spring.  I have heard our enrollment for the district is down, that may explain why numbers in football fell off some since the new coach got here. 

Untimeddown

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on December 11, 2017, 09:05:14 am
That coach was Brad Harris and he left for defensive coordiantor job at Benton where he is now Head coach.  His son is Drew and was 6A football athlete of the year while at benton.   I agree Lincoln would be better had Harris and his staff stayed with him.  Kids liked them and played hard.  It was a great group of talent at that time but still I think we should be better than we are now.
Harris hauled because talent was falling off, chance to " ring the bell", chance to move closer to home, Central Ark.  It worked out for him. Don't get it twisted. 

beach bum

December 15, 2017, 10:37:24 am #20 Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:42:23 am by beach bum
His son from his sophomore year to junior year made one of the biggest improvements I have ever seen. Quite frankly he looked completely out of sorts as a sophomore and by the time he was a junior in just one year was completely running the show and slicing through 90% of defenses making it look just so easy. Someone only improves that drastically because of their smarts to go with their athletic abilties which helped being the son of a coach. Look at what he did his senior year at Benton and what he did in college too. He also single handedly beat some stacked Prairie Grove and Shiloh teams on the mound in baseball when the 1-4A was loaded in baseball. Lincoln virtually never has an overall athlete come through like that and they were lucky to have him for the time they did.

Dart@1090

Well, that 2013-2014 Lincoln team was a very good team that had some great talent with Cummings, Harris, an that big red headed Linebacker (name slips my mind) plus the kids around them three played hard!  Lightning in a bottle.  If numbers are down in the school that makes it difficult, an even more difficult to be consistent.  Growth, coaching, winning.  I mean I remember from 1996-2010 PR struggled in football there was a couple of years they did well, but for the most part they struggled.  Community Growth, facilities, cleaning up Pee Wee program, coaching philosophy they have really prospered.  PG the same.  Shiloh will always be Shiloh... ;).  I do not know how much they Graduated, but they were scrappy I could see them getting 5th possibly 4th with the right bounce of the ball.   

RZback

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on December 15, 2017, 10:19:05 am
And we are supposed to complete the track this spring.  I have heard our enrollment for the district is down, that may explain why numbers in football fell off some since the new coach got here.

You guys broke ground on that track yet?  I'm sure you could get the conference track meet to be held at Lincoln.

theoleballcoach

Last time a saw the facilities, the track was in place. It just needed to be resurfaced. You said break ground like they were building another one. I'm concussed (not an uncommon occurrence). Which is it?

Dart@1090

Barnum I think was that LB name that was really good.

RZback

Quote from: theoleballcoach on December 19, 2017, 10:12:01 am
Last time a saw the facilities, the track was in place. It just needed to be resurfaced. You said break ground like they were building another one. I'm concussed (not an uncommon occurrence). Which is it?

I don't believe there has ever been a surface on their track, just asphalt.  They did rip that out and re-asphalt it some years back.

beach bum

Quote from: RZback on December 19, 2017, 05:01:52 pm
I don't believe there has ever been a surface on their track, just asphalt.  They did rip that out and re-asphalt it some years back.

I hope kids haven't been doing sprints/speed sessions on asphalt.... That is horrible for the ligaments and joints short term and more importantly long term.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas