Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Saturday, December 16th, 2017.
CLASS 5A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME CAPSULE
CLASS 6A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME CAPSULE
CLASS 7A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME CAPSULE
FearlessFriday
Week 10 Review
Week 9 Review

Author Topic: 2017 Outlook  (Read 31506 times)

Offline AirWarren

• El Mestizo
  • Legend
  • Reloading. Rest assured.
Re: 2017 Outlook
« Reply #1500 on: December 06, 2017, 01:40:26 pm »
Surely people that know the slightest bit about football can find some positive in this guy........

1. Great record as a high school coach in 4a Texas. Including 3 state titles.
2. Great record as OC at Tulsa.
3. AMAZING record as OC at Clemson. Including bowl wins, BCS BOWL BIRTH. He also played a huge role in getting Deshawn Watson. If you donít know who that is then youíre an idiot.
4. Mediocre record at SMU. HOWEVER, SMU is a Vanderbilt. With Vanderbilt standards. Also, it may be decades ago Now, but they received the DEATH PENALTY as a program and have never recuperated. And the power of Texas shifted and they could never keep up.
5. He knows the south and itís recruiting hot beds. And he is a big name in Texas. We need Texas athletes even if itís ďleftoversĒ from other Texas schools.
6. He runs power spread. Dual threat QBs with an emphasis in a strong run game.

He is not BP and he isn't a big name hire like BB was.....but isn't he what Arkansas fans been crying about for years now....speed.....spread.....athletes......and here we are and it's not good enough.

Take a look at the top name coaches who run those offenses.
1. Mike Leach-Washington state. Why would he come here? And how is he much better than a Chad Morris.
2. Lane Kiffin- A coach that has ran with his tail tucked after one year in the SEC, has been fired from two other jobs and has turned around FIU.....FIU!!! Who do they even play, CUTTER MORNING STAR???
3. Mike Norvell- But but but he has Arkansas connections and his wife is from Arkansas. Who cares. He is a texas guy who happened to play small time ball at UCA and he married an Arkansas girl. Tell me how that screams he has some special Arkansas Connection. Never sold on him.
4. Chris Petersen- West coast guy who has a pipeline to California recruits. Not going to touch a regionally confused team like Arkansas who doesn't know if it's Midwest or Southern.
5. Kevin Sumlin- He just left TAMU. A team who recruits Houston and texas well. He cant find a QB. He never won the big game. IN TEXAS. Why would anyone want him.
6. Les Miles- Gag.
7. Mike Gundy- He has 56 players on his roster from texas, has Boone Pickens Oil Money to back him, and he is a perennial winner. Why would he leave there to come here? He has figured out the Texas pipeline and it is working for him in his offense.
8. Skip Holtz- you people gotta be kidding me.
9. Brent Venables- the main is getting paid 1.5mil$ as an assistant and he doesn't have the headache Dabo does......why ON EARTH would he attempt to inherit the dumpster fire at Arkansas?

Look, I am not overly thrilled. But we gotta give the man a chance. At least you know exciting football will be back. AND HE HAS TEXAS CONNECTIONS. We have to have Texas kids to win in the SEC.

My top choice was none of these. I thought we should have thrown the cash at Bob Stoops. But hey, who asked me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:43:31 pm by AirWarren »

Offline cuckoobird

• Hall of Famer
  • Know Your Role Boulevard
« Reply #1501 on: December 06, 2017, 02:47:51 pm »
+1 aw

Online RZback

• Bench Warmer
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
« Reply #1502 on: December 06, 2017, 05:13:25 pm »
Surely people that know the slightest bit about football can find some positive in this guy........

1. Great record as a high school coach in 4a Texas. Including 3 state titles.
2. Great record as OC at Tulsa.
3. AMAZING record as OC at Clemson. Including bowl wins, BCS BOWL BIRTH. He also played a huge role in getting Deshawn Watson. If you donít know who that is then youíre an idiot.
4. Mediocre record at SMU. HOWEVER, SMU is a Vanderbilt. With Vanderbilt standards. Also, it may be decades ago Now, but they received the DEATH PENALTY as a program and have never recuperated. And the power of Texas shifted and they could never keep up.
5. He knows the south and itís recruiting hot beds. And he is a big name in Texas. We need Texas athletes even if itís ďleftoversĒ from other Texas schools.
6. He runs power spread. Dual threat QBs with an emphasis in a strong run game.

He is not BP and he isn't a big name hire like BB was.....but isn't he what Arkansas fans been crying about for years now....speed.....spread.....athletes......and here we are and it's not good enough.

Take a look at the top name coaches who run those offenses.
1. Mike Leach-Washington state. Why would he come here? And how is he much better than a Chad Morris.
2. Lane Kiffin- A coach that has ran with his tail tucked after one year in the SEC, has been fired from two other jobs and has turned around FIU.....FIU!!! Who do they even play, CUTTER MORNING STAR???
3. Mike Norvell- But but but he has Arkansas connections and his wife is from Arkansas. Who cares. He is a texas guy who happened to play small time ball at UCA and he married an Arkansas girl. Tell me how that screams he has some special Arkansas Connection. Never sold on him.
4. Chris Petersen- West coast guy who has a pipeline to California recruits. Not going to touch a regionally confused team like Arkansas who doesn't know if it's Midwest or Southern.
5. Kevin Sumlin- He just left TAMU. A team who recruits Houston and texas well. He cant find a QB. He never won the big game. IN TEXAS. Why would anyone want him.
6. Les Miles- Gag.
7. Mike Gundy- He has 56 players on his roster from texas, has Boone Pickens Oil Money to back him, and he is a perennial winner. Why would he leave there to come here? He has figured out the Texas pipeline and it is working for him in his offense.
8. Skip Holtz- you people gotta be kidding me.
9. Brent Venables- the main is getting paid 1.5mil$ as an assistant and he doesn't have the headache Dabo does......why ON EARTH would he attempt to inherit the dumpster fire at Arkansas?

Look, I am not overly thrilled. But we gotta give the man a chance. At least you know exciting football will be back. AND HE HAS TEXAS CONNECTIONS. We have to have Texas kids to win in the SEC.

My top choice was none of these. I thought we should have thrown the cash at Bob Stoops. But hey, who asked me.

If you really cannot find a reason for hiring some of those names on your list instead of Morris there is no reason having a discussion.  Kind of like you said if you knew anything about football you could find something to like about Morris. 

I hope the man does well because I'm sick of watching lousy Hog football.  I just think there were better choices.

Offline WPWells

• Formerly 12th Man
  • Hall of Famer
  • Be strong in The Lord and never give up hope
« Reply #1503 on: December 06, 2017, 05:17:50 pm »
I think you just want a reason to gripe. Why donít you just shut up until heís had a chance?

Online RZback

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #1504 on: December 06, 2017, 05:23:18 pm »
Oh, my bad!  I thought this was a place to express ones opinions. 

Offline cuckoobird

• Hall of Famer
  • Know Your Role Boulevard
« Reply #1505 on: December 06, 2017, 06:01:17 pm »
Youíre a troll if you have a different opinion. Liberals run this place

Offline Ctucker

• 2nd String
« Reply #1506 on: December 06, 2017, 06:27:29 pm »
I like the hire!

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #1507 on: December 06, 2017, 06:53:13 pm »
Youíre a troll if you have a different opinion. Liberals run this place

C'mon Cuckoo... We're talking about a website that consists of 95% people from small town Arkansas and that isn't exactly liberal town USA. We know I am the only one on here except for maybe zebradynasty and he is a part of the fringe Al Sharpton wing that I want no part of.... and I sure am not running this site. I am actually shocked I have not gotten a temporary ban on this place yet.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:56:33 pm by beach bum »

Offline bleudog

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
  • 11/02/06: Never give up, never give out.
« Reply #1508 on: December 06, 2017, 07:55:44 pm »
Kiffin or Morris looks like.

And for the Morris guys. Yeah he seems to have improved SMU. 7-5 this year believe 4 of those wins were by 4 points or less over 3-9 teams.

I remember another coach coming in and increasing his wins totals over the first few years

2015    SMU    2Ė10    1Ė7    TĖ5th (West)          
2016    SMU    5Ė 7    3Ė5        5th (West)          
2017    SMU    7Ė 5    4Ė4        4th (West)    

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7358&s=295489
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:59:58 pm by bleudog »

Offline HorseFeathers

• Fearless Friday Elite
  • Legend
« Reply #1509 on: December 06, 2017, 08:15:59 pm »
Kiffin or Morris looks like.

And for the Morris guys. Yeah he seems to have improved SMU. 7-5 this year believe 4 of those wins were by 4 points or less over 3-9 teams.

I remember another coach coming in and increasing his wins totals over the first few years

Bobby Petrino right?

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #1510 on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:16 pm »
Iíll give him a chance. Just wanted that splash hire. Heís saying the right things though

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/morris-we-like-to-score-fast/

Online RZback

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #1511 on: December 06, 2017, 09:35:33 pm »
Same here.  Program needs an AED shot to the heart. 

Offline bigworm

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #1512 on: December 06, 2017, 10:40:29 pm »
I was similar to alot of people in my reaction to this hire because of my ignorance as to exactly who Coach Morris was and what he has accomplished. After doing some investigating, i think he is a great hire amd will get this program back on track. We just have to let him do his thing and support him.

Offline nuttinbuthogs

• Starter
« Reply #1513 on: December 07, 2017, 09:59:05 am »
Morris has had a really impressive climb in the coaching profession. I'm not decided on him yet and it will take time to prove he was the right choice.

My question is why he got the job instead of a more established long time head coach.  He might wind up being a good pick but was Arkansas not able to get somebody who has more years of experience and a winning record as a head coach.

I have the same question about the new AD.  I heard him on the news say he had little to do with the hire and that the interim did that.  Why then this AD, what happened to the report that we had hired the guy from Tulsa, Gragg?  Why not either wait on the AD hire or hire an AD more quickly?

Seems like some questions about how this was all done need answered. Kinda messy.

Offline Jacketman65

• Starter
« Reply #1514 on: December 07, 2017, 11:09:59 am »
Sounds to me like you are talking about "Hanging Chads"

Offline nuttinbuthogs

• Starter
« Reply #1515 on: December 07, 2017, 11:57:25 am »
LOL

Offline bdubyab60

• Hall of Famer
« Reply #1516 on: December 07, 2017, 12:22:56 pm »
Morris has had a really impressive climb in the coaching profession. I'm not decided on him yet and it will take time to prove he was the right choice.

My question is why he got the job instead of a more established long time head coach.  He might wind up being a good pick but was Arkansas not able to get somebody who has more years of experience and a winning record as a head coach.

I have the same question about the new AD.  I heard him on the news say he had little to do with the hire and that the interim did that.  Why then this AD, what happened to the report that we had hired the guy from Tulsa, Gragg?  Why not either wait on the AD hire or hire an AD more quickly?

Seems like some questions about how this was all done need answered. Kinda messy.
Something came up with Gragg in vetting that they didnít like. The news channel reported to early that it was a done deal. But I do think that if Gus had accepted Gragg would have been the AD. Who knows though

The reason this was messy is they had to many irons in the fire. Interim AD, Chancellor, BOT and the money guys all conducting searches without talking to each other. Then each hired the search firm to start vetting candidates and they didnít handle that well either.

As to why we didnít go with experienced. Well we just jumped out of that boat and Morris knocked this out of the park obviously. Iím not totally happy with it but Iíll give the guy a chance.

I donít think Les Miles would have worked here. Heís a decent coach for sure, canít deny his record. But heís stubborn to a fault and it cost him his job even after being given a second chance.

But if you watch the interviews and pressers you can see why they went with him. Right or wrong you can see why they were swayed.

The new AD while not to involved with the hire had to be ok with it. A safe hire with no baggage like some of the other mentioned names in the search.

I do hope this is the end of all the Gus crap though and I hope we bash their brains in when we play

Online RZback

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #1517 on: December 07, 2017, 01:13:12 pm »
Well said.

Offline footballfan-tastic

• Assistant Coach
  • I love Fearless Friday!
« Reply #1518 on: December 07, 2017, 08:09:02 pm »
The proof is in the pudding as they say.  Time to get busy fixing this mess called Hog football. 

Offline Lionheart88

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #1519 on: December 07, 2017, 10:29:42 pm »
[Moved to 2018 thread]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:36:23 pm by Lionheart88 »

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas