• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubyab60

Won't be Norvell. He just signed extension at Memphis.

Morris also rumored to be in talks with Tenner

Ctucker

We can't even get Memphis coach that's sad!

beach bum

Wow.... I believe that means we are headed for Chad Morris more than likely. I really hate to say this and be so negative but I believe we are headed for a bad next decade of football in this state. With Fisher to Texas A&M plus Auburn and Alabama looking like they are staying strong for a while I think the only seasons we will have saving grace are when we go 4-0 in non conference because of an easy non conference slate and we must sweep the Mississippi schools. I believe we are about to see the gap even further widen between the top of the West and bottom of the West. Good thing those Mississippi schools are in serious transition or it would not even look the slightest bit promising. I think 5 to 7 wins is about to become the norm in Fayetteville for a while  :-\

beach bum

December 05, 2017, 03:49:03 pm #1453 Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:50:37 pm by beach bum
And to add on to my post above here is just some food for thought that you guys can chime in to agree or disagree.... I believe that when Petrino hired that woman on his staff and crashed his bike it sent this program into a spin cycle it may not get out of for a while. He was fired at an atypical time of the year and in an obvious atypical way and when he did that we practically threw away the 2 following seasons with John L Smith and BB's first season where he went 3-9. BB was obviously a terrible hire for this program when we needed something different following John L Smith. I believe looking back him crashing his bike was the beginning of the end for this program for a while now that we can look back at it with a different view. His poor decisions really caused long term issues in Fayetteville with the football program.

bdubyab60

Kiffin or Morris looks like.

And for the Morris guys. Yeah he seems to have improved SMU. 7-5 this year believe 4 of those wins were by 4 points or less over 3-9 teams.

I remember another coach coming in and increasing his wins totals over the first few years

RZback

It's sad that we cannot find a coach.  What are we waiting for?  Nobody will accept the job?  Leadership is the problem?  Heck we had a good shot at Norvell and I think that would have created some excitment because of his offense.  Now we may be going after a guy in Morris? Limited years as HC, losing record, and was twice beaten by Norvell.
I'm sure he is a great guy.  Will he pull us out of the gutter?   
I will tell you this, Tennessee voted by calling and cancelling their season tickets for next year, with protest on campus, with forcing the outing of the AD and getting a guy that is beloved by most Vols, yes fat Phil. 
I try to support UA football but they make it hard.
So we going to make a JL decision?
I'd say Kiffen, Strong, before anybody else.

bdubyab60

Unless there is some secret candidate that comes out of left field

RZback

RZback

Norvell got 2.6 million a year for 5 years.  Maybe we can get him next year after he wins his conference championship.  Won't be too much to buy out.  Wonder who the interim coach needs to be, Enos, Rhoads?  Maybe JL is still wanting to do a standin role.

bdubyab60

Looking like it's final. Still hope it's rumor. I don't care this really seems like a horrible hire for the situation we are in. To me this doesn't put fans in the seats.

I really hope I am wrong but this seems like Bielema/Dooley territory still. Doesn't even put us to the middle of the pack again, imo.

Really makes you wonder how rich people get rich when they make decisions like this

RZback

Rich people have high priced financial advisers who tell them what to do.  Just because they have money doesn't mean they know a thing about football or coaching!   Ours don't seem to.

bdubyab60

This just set us back another 5 years. These have no guts. Going after Gus didn't show it. They thought they had him in the bag. Now they stoop all the way down when this program needed some darn excitement to get fans interested  again.

Just think of this he's supposed to be an offensive genius or something. But his defense is worse than ours was against lesser competition.

Right now this looks like and absolute fail

RZback

Maybe we will hear soon.  Hope for the best.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 05, 2017, 04:58:45 pm
This just set us back another 5 years. These have no guts. Going after Gus didn't show it. They thought they had him in the bag. Now they stoop all the way down when this program needed some darn excitement to get fans interested  again.

Just think of this he's supposed to be an offensive genius or something. But his defense is worse than ours was against lesser competition.

Right now this looks like and absolute fail

Grape Vine says his first DC Target will be venables, whom he coached with at Clemson

beach bum

Say hello to mediocrity for another 5 years at least....

nastynice

Quote from: beach bum on December 05, 2017, 05:53:35 pm
Say hello to mediocrity for another 5 years at least....

Why, it only took him 3 years to get SMU bowl eligible?........ ::)

HorseFeathers

Quote from: nastynice on December 05, 2017, 05:58:30 pm
Why, it only took him 3 years to get SMU bowl eligible?........ ::)

Not a good old boy with Arkansas ties LOL

nastynice

Not a needle moving hire for sure. I don't like it.  .500 team at best from here on.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

LOVE IT.

Clemson before he got there...21.2 ppg
Clemson after he got there...first 10 win season under Dabo and 35 ppg in his 4 years (avg 41 his 2nd year)

SMU before he got there...11.1 ppg and 1 win
SMU after he got there...30.7 ppg (38.5 this year) and 2, 5, 7 wins

RZback

It looks like its Morris, Venables must be his bosom buddy if he would leave Clemson for us. Supposed to be done deal just working out details.  I'm sure Ill get over the disappointment but this is hardly the big hire hoped for.

I bet 30,000 people are calling to order tickets right now.

bdubyab60

I'm glad some folks are happy. But as I drive home listening to the radio it's. This is about as good as arkansas could do.

Man he can recruit Texas. Really he's in the 80's. What's he gonna do here 40's. He's got all these Texas recruits. So what, still 7-5 with em

He better put together a heck of a staff, especially on defense or we will get slaughtered as usual.

Maybe I'm wrong but 7-5 is the ceiling with Morris.

Who knows maybe with Ole Miss sanctions and MSU going with a somewhat mediocre seeming hire we can finish above the MS schools and regain our rightful place

beach bum

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on December 05, 2017, 06:31:36 pm
LOVE IT.

Clemson before he got there...21.2 ppg
Clemson after he got there...first 10 win season under Dabo and 35 ppg in his 4 years (avg 41 his 2nd year)

SMU before he got there...11.1 ppg and 1 win
SMU after he got there...30.7 ppg (38.5 this year) and 2, 5, 7 wins

In all fairness those years at Clemson he literally had Martavius Bryant, Deandre Hopkins, and Sammy Watkins to use as WRs at the same time. All those guys are extremely productive in the NFL. That would be an offensive coaches dream in college to have those 3 WR's in the same formation. They're explosive in the pro game and were in college. Then in the 2014 season Deshaun Watson started emerging. If Burks from Warren does not stay home we don't have anyone like those WR's coming to Arkansas anytime soon.

bdubyab60

I'll say this. Everyone I hear talking positive about it. Man he can recruit Texas, Texas ties all over and all the Texas high school coaches love him.

His first recruiting class better reflect it. I won't hold this year against him and we shouldn't. This is BB's mess. But year two we should be able to at least see results in recruiting if he is as good as everyone pushing him says he is

Lionheart88

Quote from: beach bum on December 05, 2017, 03:49:03 pm
And to add on to my post above here is just some food for thought that you guys can chime in to agree or disagree.... I believe that when Petrino hired that woman on his staff and crashed his bike it sent this program into a spin cycle it may not get out of for a while. He was fired at an atypical time of the year and in an obvious atypical way and when he did that we practically threw away the 2 following seasons with John L Smith and BB's first season where he went 3-9. BB was obviously a terrible hire for this program when we needed something different following John L Smith. I believe looking back him crashing his bike was the beginning of the end for this program for a while now that we can look back at it with a different view. His poor decisions really caused long term issues in Fayetteville with the football program.
Petrino was always cancer, just one that looked good for a while.  I think the issues started when folks ran Nutt out of town for no reason.  Bowls in 8 of his 10 years, shared or outright SEC West champion in '98, '02, and '06, even in his last year we went 8-4 and beat LSU in Death Valley (they went on to a National Title that year).  And folks ran him off.  We haven't won the West, even a shared title, since.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: beach bum on December 05, 2017, 07:18:42 pm
In all fairness those years at Clemson he literally had Martavius Bryant, Deandre Hopkins, and Sammy Watkins to use as WRs at the same time. All those guys are extremely productive in the NFL. That would be an offensive coaches dream in college to have those 3 WR's in the same formation. They're explosive in the pro game and were in college. Then in the 2014 season Deshaun Watson started emerging. If Burks from Warren does not stay home we don't have anyone like those WR's coming to Arkansas anytime soon.
Interesting that the people against this hire will do anything to discredit the facts (and vice versa for those of us who think this is a good hire).

Why was Bobby Petrino's offense so good at Arkansas? Seems like he has NFL caliber players.

If the guy can't get good players to come here, we are in trouble regardless of how good of a coach he is.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 05, 2017, 07:51:55 pm
Petrino was always cancer, just one that looked good for a while.  I think the issues started when folks ran Nutt out of town for no reason.  Bowls in 8 of his 10 years, shared or outright SEC West champion in '98, '02, and '06, even in his last year we went 8-4 and beat LSU in Death Valley (they went on to a National Title that year).  And folks ran him off.  We haven't won the West, even a shared title, since.
You took the words right out of my mouth. It's amazing how some overlook that and fail to realize it's a pattern with how administration is doing business. If I'm a parent, I would take in consideration the inconsistency that is taking place. Also, whose playing qb in this new system? A lot of questionable decisions are never good signs. If you ask the average fan if they knew these hires were going to be made, most would probably rather kept Long and BB.

footballfan-tastic

Well, Morris has those Texas ties that should help recruit.  Problem is if he brings in tons of Texas boys that means fewer Arkansas recruits and that is always disturbing to Arkansas fans. If he recruits Arkansas talent to heavily we will get beat.  He will have to find a way to get the top talent in Arkansas, keep the numbers to only the best, and then get as many good out of state guys as he can.  If the rumor is correct and he has enough pull to get Venables then he may save the program and himself. 

beach bum

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on December 05, 2017, 08:39:21 pm
Interesting that the people against this hire will do anything to discredit the facts (and vice versa for those of us who think this is a good hire).

Why was Bobby Petrino's offense so good at Arkansas? Seems like he has NFL caliber players.

If the guy can't get good players to come here, we are in trouble regardless of how good of a coach he is.

Fair points on your side...

beach bum

Quote from: sportsguy80 on December 05, 2017, 08:41:44 pm
You took the words right out of my mouth. It's amazing how some overlook that and fail to realize it's a pattern with how administration is doing business. If I'm a parent, I would take in consideration the inconsistency that is taking place. Also, whose playing qb in this new system? A lot of questionable decisions are never good signs. If you ask the average fan if they knew these hires were going to be made, most would probably rather kept Long and BB.

I nearly wrote this myself.... Kelley is not the answer moving forward and there is a reason Storey was 3rd string on a 4-8 team. He should be looking at getting a transfer, JUCO player, or miraculously hit the jackpot and find a decent freshman to play right away.

footballfan-tastic

I have a feeling that it was Gus from the start, really unrealistic hope.  Then it was Morris, but I'm not sure why.  Unproven as a college HC right now 14-22.  Yeah I know improvement every year so far.  Time will tell.  Arkansas doesn't have a lot of time.
Quote from: sportsguy80 on December 05, 2017, 08:41:44 pm

uhhhh,  No BB needed to go and Long would have made a worse pick.

footballfan-tastic

Nobody wins without talent, nobody.  So to say he has to recruit well is a given. 

footballfan-tastic

The best thing about him is he isn't BB. Pray he still has strong ties to Texas talent pool. 

I for one am not willing to write off next season as a total loss because of BB's previous recruiting.  How many seniors are leaving and opening up scholarships.
Storey is a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier.  Don't sign every Arkansas kid who looks good on paper because he comes from a great program.  Evaluate him as a college level player playing in your system before signing him.

beach bum

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 05, 2017, 08:54:30 pm
The best thing about him is he isn't BB. Pray he still has strong ties to Texas talent pool. 

I for one am not willing to write off next season as a total loss because of BB's previous recruiting.  How many seniors are leaving and opening up scholarships.
Storey is a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier.  Don't sign every Arkansas kid who looks good on paper because he comes from a great program.  Evaluate him as a college level player playing in your system before signing him.

I actually agree with this. If anyone has looked at our schedule for next year it will be the easiest it has been in quite some time. We will have fours teams from non power 5 on our schedule because of Michigan bailing and replacing them with Colorado State. Then we draw Vanderbilt and Missouri from the East who are also winnable along with the transitioning Mississippi schools. It is not out of the realm of possibility to win 8 games if we see improvement. With how bad our schedule is he better get us to a bowl game year one. There are no excuses with a schedule that is that soft for SEC standards.

beach bum

Btw, in other news they just said that Ole Miss players can transfer anywhere they want. Originally, they had said they had to go out of the SEC. Shea Patterson is thinking of transferring to Michigan. With our new more dynamic coach Morris needs to give him a call. It never hurts to ask. We need to pluck a player or two from them regardless.

friscokid

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 05, 2017, 08:42:19 pm
Well, Morris has those Texas ties that should help recruit.  Problem is if he brings in tons of Texas boys that means fewer Arkansas recruits and that is always disturbing to Arkansas fans. If he recruits Arkansas talent to heavily we will get beat.  He will have to find a way to get the top talent in Arkansas, keep the numbers to only the best, and then get as many good out of state guys as he can.  If the rumor is correct and he has enough pull to get Venables then he may save the program and himself.
+1

bdubyab60

We do have quite a bit returning and any easy schedule. However we are looking at a complete culture shift and style shift. We may be starting a Freshman QB, I don't think Kelley is mobile enough.

If the rumors true about Venables that should help. Surely he can at least improve is on defense from what we were the past two years.

6 wins is for sure there

footballfan-tastic

Nothing is ever for sure.

bigworm

I cant imagine Venables coming. But if he does it would be better than a dream. I wanted Venables as HC. I didnt want an offensove minded hC. But if he can get Venables im sold on Morris and for me personally i will be looking forward to 2018 razorback football. Butnif he dont im not gonna be down on him without giving him a chance.

bdubyab60

I those are for sure winnable. Just like some this year.

SEC guys didn't seem to high on our hire. Basically said if you are wanting to win 7 to 8 games a year we are probably good, if we were wanting to compete for the SEC title you have to play defense. Just ask Missouri.

At any rate the feeling I have and seems others outside of the program think the hire is just meh from what I've seen.

When all your conference opponents fans are happy with your hire I'm sure how well That bodes got us.

bdubyab60

Quote from: bigworm on December 05, 2017, 10:23:28 pm
I cant imagine Venables coming. But if he does it would be better than a dream. I wanted Venables as HC. I didnt want an offensove minded hC. But if he can get Venables im sold on Morris and for me personally i will be looking forward to 2018 razorback football. Butnif he dont im not gonna be down on him without giving him a chance.
Supposedly it's a real possibility. It sure would help

RZback

Morris and Venables worked together at Clemson.  Maybe they are best friends forever.  I'm not sure that translates into Venables at UA.  Will Arkansas pay him what he makes now?  Why come to a struggling program that may fail and you ruin your reputation? 
Is our pick for HC only good if he can talk a great DC into coming here?  Maybe we hired the wrong HC?

bdubyab60

Well I hope he can. Think SMU's defensive rank was 101, 101 and 122 while he was there. But hey we will be scoring points and playing exciting football.

I want us to play winning football. Hopefully that happens

Lionheart88

Quote from: beach bum on December 05, 2017, 08:47:20 pm
I nearly wrote this myself.... Kelley is not the answer moving forward and there is a reason Storey was 3rd string on a 4-8 team. He should be looking at getting a transfer, JUCO player, or miraculously hit the jackpot and find a decent freshman to play right away.
Personally, I'm not sure Kelley isn't the answer.  He was only a redshirt freshman this year, he still has time to develop.  Another option I've heard bandied about: Rafe Peavey transferred to SMU when he left Arkansas.  Supposedly, he'll be eligible to come back as a grad transfer next year.  Of course, he wasn't even starting at SMU, I doubt he's the answer, but I won't be shocked if he gives Fayetteville another try.

nuttinbuthogs

I wish the people who make the choice would have to explain why.  Why we cannot get an established head coach to come here. 

RZback

I don't think you are going to get the decision makers to tell you why.   

WPWells

I'm glad Georgia got an established head coach two years ago. They wouldn't be in the playoff without one.

beach bum

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 06, 2017, 11:04:53 am
Personally, I'm not sure Kelley isn't the answer.  He was only a redshirt freshman this year, he still has time to develop.  Another option I've heard bandied about: Rafe Peavey transferred to SMU when he left Arkansas.  Supposedly, he'll be eligible to come back as a grad transfer next year.  Of course, he wasn't even starting at SMU, I doubt he's the answer, but I won't be shocked if he gives Fayetteville another try.

Kelley acted like a hot head on the field at times.... There were a couple times I saw him arguing with the ref which I do not want from the QB who is supposed to be a leader. He needs to grow up. His ability is not worth his antics. There is a difference between going over and casually talking with a ref over an issue and having poor body language whining to the ref like I saw him do on a few occasions.

bigchief72455

Quote from: beach bum on December 05, 2017, 08:47:20 pm
The Noland kid from Greenwood would be a good pick.

RZback

NOt trying to start stuff but why would the Greenwood kid be a good choice?  I haven't seen him play just a few clips.  Size, ability, smarts, what are his strengths? 

RZback

Word is Morris is bringing his OC with him, Craddock.  No news on his attempt to get Venables to come to Arkansas.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas