• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking at the 5A State Tournament....

Started by sevenof400, October 16, 2016, 10:49:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

...is there any reason to believe the West will be around after day one? 

First round matchups are

Central vs South
West vs East

1-Adam-12

I think Harrison would have a chance to get through, provided they win the 5AW tournament.  They have some quality wins and have taken a set each from Greenwood and Russellville.

Don't see any other West teams that could trouble the East.

sevenof400

I have seen Batesville this year and they look good.  Hard to find any weaknesses in their team.  I have not seen Valley View but their record makes enough of a statement about where they are prep wise. Nettleton would seem to be just behind Valley View and Batesville (again I am basing this solely on results) and the fourth spot will clearly be a drop off from those three. 

But the West has really failed to impress this year.  I wish 5A play were nearer me so I could go watch.....

I may have to go check out some 4A play at Lonoke....

Vballfan

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 16, 2016, 12:38:45 pm
I have seen Batesville this year and they look good.  Hard to find any weaknesses in their team.  I have not seen Valley View but their record makes enough of a statement about where they are prep wise. Nettleton would seem to be just behind Valley View and Batesville (again I am basing this solely on results) and the fourth spot will clearly be a drop off from those three. 

But the West has really failed to impress this year.  I wish 5A play were nearer me so I could go watch.....

I may have to go check out some 4A play at Lonoke....

I have seen many of the top 5A Teams this year including VV, Batesville, Nettelteon and Paragould.   VV gets the edge. Batesville not far behind IMO. Paragould seems to be coming on and plays good defense. Haven't seen any teams from the south or centra.  PA has good personnel but you wonder about preparation due to their schedule relative to some of these other schools.

sevenof400

Quote from: Vballfan on October 16, 2016, 12:57:09 pm
I have seen many of the top 5A Teams this year including VV, Batesville, Nettelteon and Paragould.   VV gets the edge. Batesville not far behind IMO. Paragould seems to be coming on and plays good defense. Haven't seen any teams from the south or centra.  PA has good personnel but you wonder about preparation due to their schedule relative to some of these other schools.

And that point makes me wonder about LR Christian - it certainly appears they have been doing all they can to find and play high quality opponents.  I could see them making a nice run in the state tournament - depending on seeding of course - but they should be first or second out of the Central so they would avoid meeting Valley View or Batesville until the semi finals. 

Vballfan

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 16, 2016, 02:05:35 pm
And that point makes me wonder about LR Christian - it certainly appears they have been doing all they can to find and play high quality opponents.  I could see them making a nice run in the state tournament - depending on seeding of course - but they should be first or second out of the Central so they would avoid meeting Valley View or Batesville until the semi finals.

Also saw LRC at a Fort Smith tourney.  Solid but behind the top 3 from the east IMO. Very similar to Paragould though and play good defense.

sevenof400

Vballfan,

Are you planning on attending any conference and / or state tournaments?

Vballfan

October 16, 2016, 05:10:22 pm #7 Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 05:52:08 pm by Vballfan
Quote from: sevenof400 on October 16, 2016, 03:18:25 pm
Vballfan,

Are you planning on attending any conference and / or state tournaments?

My kids will play in the 7A tourney, so will try to attend, but sadly have an important work retereat  on same days :(

Good luck to all the teams. 5A is pretty deep, 6A is likely Marion/Greenwood, 7A Fayetteville will be hard to beat and Har-Ber  but should be pretty competitive on the first and second days. 7A central was pretty competitive 1-6 With Conway pulling away as the season went on. NLR, Southside can both compete. Northside faded as the season went along, Cabot has a dominant hitter that can take over games.

MDXPHD

5A-East tournament. Nettleton defeated Batesville 20-25, 27-25, 21-25, 25-23, 15-12.

sevenof400

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 19, 2016, 07:11:09 am
5A-East tournament. Nettleton defeated Batesville 20-25, 27-25, 21-25, 25-23, 15-12.

Taking nothing away from Nettleton, at least part of this can be attributed to the effect from the blended conferences this year.   Looks like Batesville will be playing for the #3 seed - should they win they would be in the same bracket as either LRCA or PA. 

Interesting...

MDXPHD

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 19, 2016, 10:48:46 am
Taking nothing away from Nettleton, at least part of this can be attributed to the effect from the blended conferences this year.   Looks like Batesville will be playing for the #3 seed - should they win they would be in the same bracket as either LRCA or PA. 

Interesting...

The blended conferences hurt Batesville I think. Batesville can beat them, but hasn't played the competition Nettleton played this season. I don't know the score of the other semi, which was Paragould and VV. I assume VV won and will most likely beat Nettleton.

sevenof400

October 19, 2016, 11:46:01 am #11 Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:47:41 am by sevenof400
Quote from: MDXPHD on October 19, 2016, 11:14:02 am
The blended conferences hurt Batesville I think. Batesville can beat them, but hasn't played the competition Nettleton played this season. I don't know the score of the other semi, which was Paragould and VV. I assume VV won and will most likely beat Nettleton.

I believe you are correct - VV versus Nettleton for 1/2, Batesville versus Paragould for 3/4.

One would have to think the East would come out as
#1 Valley View
#2 Nettleton
#3 Batesville
#4 Paragould

Strangely enough, the #4 seed (whoever it may be) might have a better draw than the #3 seed as the #4 seed from the East gets the West #1 seed.   

GoldenArks

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 19, 2016, 11:46:01 am
I believe you are correct - VV versus Nettleton for 1/2, Batesville versus Paragould for 3/4.

One would have to think the East would come out as
#1 Valley View
#2 Nettleton
#3 Batesville
#4 Paragould

Strangely enough, the #4 seed (whoever it may be) might have a better draw than the #3 seed as the #4 seed from the East gets the West #1 seed.

Why would that be a better draw for the #4 seed?

Rocket23

PA and LRCA square off Thursday night in finals of 5A Central.

sevenof400

Quote from: GoldenArks on October 19, 2016, 12:31:14 pm
Why would that be a better draw for the #4 seed?

The east 4 seed draws the 1 seed from the West in the first round - an entirely winnable game IMO as the East is a much tougher conference.  East 4, West 1, Central 2 (the loser of LRCA and PA), South 3 (Camden Fairview)

East 3 gets West 2 first round but also gets Central 1 (winner of LRCA and PA), and South 4. 

On that basis, I think East 4 might have an easier route to the semis.

3n2

The blended conference has been very tough physically for 5 east teams.  Played 3 nights a week with tough matches most nights.  Nettleton has already played 35 matches, a lot more than a normal season.  This extra week of matches is helpful to No one.   

MDXPHD

Paragould beat Batesville 3-1 after Batesville took the first set.

3n2

Hannah Qualls left match with a foot or ankle injury.

Rocket23

PA defeated LRCA 3-2 in front of more than 400 to 500 fans.

24-26, 26-24, 25-16, 24-26, 16-14.  Second and third set score might have been reversed, can't remember.  It was a very back-and-forth match.

MDXPHD

GoldenArks

Valley View over Farmington in 3
Pulaski Academy over White Hall in 3

GoldenArks

Paragould defeats Vilonia in 3
Beebe defeats Magnolia in 4

3n2

Batesville up 2-0 on Harrison
Lakeside up 2-0 on Sylvan Hills

3n2

MDXPHD

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 16, 2016, 10:49:40 am
...is there any reason to believe the West will be around after day one? 

First round matchups are

Central vs South
West vs East

Nope, no reason to believe that.

MDXPHD

sevenof400

Today ought to be really fun to watch - especially LRCA and Batesville. 

MDXPHD

East won all of their games again, I think. Batesville, nettleton, and vv won in 3. Paragould beat PA in 5.

MDXPHD

With the east losing just 2 games in the first and second rounds, pretty impressive performance.

GoldenArks

Awesome job by the East once again.  Hopefully next year the West can catch up a bit to give some kind of competition!

3n2

Will be crazy today at Valley View.  I would expect at least 1200 in attendance to watch today, all 4 schools bring large crowds. 

sevenof400

Quote from: 3n2 on October 27, 2016, 11:29:59 am
Will be crazy today at Valley View.  I would expect at least 1200 in attendance to watch today, all 4 schools bring large crowds.

That should be fun indeed.  Hopefully someone can fill us in on the details.

MDXPHD

October 27, 2016, 01:24:23 pm #32 Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:31:52 pm by MDXPHD
Paragould wins the first set over Nettleton 25-17.

Paragould goes up 2-0 with a 25-21 set.

Nettleton takes the third 25-15.

Paragould wins the fourth set 25-22.

Paragould onto the finals with a 3-1 victory over Nettleton.

MDXPHD

October 27, 2016, 03:44:22 pm #33 Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:23:49 pm by MDXPHD
VV beats Batesville in 3.

25-16, 25-10, and 25-13.

VV vs Paragould in the finals. I believe VV has played them 3 times this year. 3-0, 2-0, and 3-0, all in favor of VV. .

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas