• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UAM Baseball

Started by Big Fan, February 18, 2014, 08:16:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Fan

AirWarren

Big Fan

Back to back 30 win seasons!  Program continues to get better under Coach Harvey.

http://www.uamsports.com/news/2014/4/11/BB_0411141650.aspx?path=baseball

Valleysports

That's good stuff - so you have Tech, UAM, SAU, at the top.  Tech and UAM both on 11 game win streaks.  Should be a good tournament - CathywithaC.   

CathywithaC

Looking forward to it.  It's just a shame  that we usually have 5 Arkansas teams traveling to Enid, OK for a week.  Wish we could find a location in Arkansas for the tourney.  Muleriders split with Delta State today.

Hogwild#9

Quote from: CathywithaC on April 12, 2014, 10:52:51 pm
Looking forward to it.  It's just a shame  that we usually have 5 Arkansas teams traveling to Enid, OK for a week.  Wish we could find a location in Arkansas for the tourney.  Muleriders split with Delta State today.
Be awesome if Dickey Stephens could host it...

CathywithaC

Quote from: Hogwild#9 on April 21, 2014, 12:53:14 pm
Quote from: CathywithaC on April 12, 2014, 10:52:51 pm
Be awesome if Dickey Stephens could host it...
they won't even entertain the thought!  If it's "too much wear and tear" on their field to host the high school championships, I'm sure they wouldn't want four days of bigger, faster young men "tearing it up."  I do understand that the Naturals are bidding on it for the period starting next year.  Bentonville already hosts the GAC softball.  That would be preferrable to lots of folks rather than driving to Enid (boring), OK.
But I must say, the old ballpark there is very nice

Big Fan

Valleysports

April 30, 2014, 10:53:49 pm #8 Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:58:46 pm by Valleysports
OK - I see what CathywithaC was getting at, wanting Tech to win!  :)

Following the conclusion of all conference tournaments, the top six teams of each region move on to the regional tournaments, usually hosted by the top-ranked team of each region.

So will the playoffs come to Tech now, or will we have to wait until after the Conf Tournament to see if we're staying in Arkansas or going to Minnesota?  Looks like Tech needs to remain #1, in region (unless UAM could jump to #1), post conference tournament.

CathywithaC

They won't announce it until May 11 after conference tourneys are completed.  GAC is done by May 6, but the league MN State is in doesn't end until May 10.  I understand there are NO hotel rooms available in Russellville because of some shutdown for repairs at Nuclear One.  Don't have a clue what impact that could have on tourney locale.  I sure don't want to make that long trip to MN again, but I will if that's where it winds up being and we're lucky enough to go.  Lots can happen in conference tournies.  Three tourney champs are automatic bids, so favorites need to win to get the  most Arkansas teams in.  Also know they like to minimize travel expenses, so the more teams we get in, the better the odds of the tourney being in Arkansas.  Last year there were three teams from MN, two from MO, and SAU.  SAU was the only team the NCAA paid flight expenses for.  The others bussed in.

Valleysports

Not good timing if ANO is having a turnaround, however I can't believe all the hotels are booked - we have a lot.  Let me know if you want me to do some footwork.  I do like the hotels closest to Tech - 4 right together, with the best restaurants all in walking distance. 

Big Fan

Quote from: Valleysports on April 30, 2014, 10:53:49 pm
Looks like Tech needs to remain #1, in region (unless UAM could jump to #1), post conference tournament.
UAM does own a win over #2 MN-Mankato.

CathywithaC

Quote from: Valleysports on May 01, 2014, 12:09:04 am
Not good timing if ANO is having a turnaround, however I can't believe all the hotels are booked - we have a lot.  Let me know if you want me to do some footwork.  I do like the hotels closest to Tech - 4 right together, with the best restaurants all in walking distance.
Thanks Valley.  If regionals are at Tech, I'll be driving back and forth from Sherwood.  I had wondered, though, about any cabin-type accommodations on Lake Dardanelle for extended family from further away.  Have any recommendations along that line?

Big Fan

Weevils beat SWOS 3-2 to move into the winners bracket Sunday at 7:30pm.  You can watch the game live on the GAC website. 

Big Fan

UAM will play in the Championship game for the second straight year at 3:30 pm today.  They will play the winner of SAU/Harding game that will be played at 12 noon today.  Both games will be streamed live at http://www.greatamericanconference.com/ 

Breitontime

Quote from: CathywithaC on May 01, 2014, 10:18:20 am
Quote from: Valleysports on May 01, 2014, 12:09:04 am
Thanks Valley.  If regionals are at Tech, I'll be driving back and forth from Sherwood.  I had wondered, though, about any cabin-type accommodations on Lake Dardanelle for extended family from further away.  Have any recommendations along that line?
There are cabin rentals at the Lake Dardanelle State Park.

Another option, about 25 minutes away, are the cabins on Mount Nebo.

Valleysports

May 06, 2014, 05:29:04 pm #16 Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:26:22 pm by Valleysports
I think Tech blew that #1 ranking Bre - CathywithaC might be looking for lodging in Minn..  I hope her son nephew enjoys the trip!!!!!!!!   >:(

CathywithaC

Quote from: Valleysports on May 06, 2014, 05:29:04 pm
I think Tech blew that #1 ranking Bre - CathywithaC might be looking for lodging in Minn..  I hope her son enjoys the trip!!!!!!!!   >:(
Yep!  Minn-Mankato is ranked #1 now and CathywithaC already has her room booked in Minn to see her NEPHEW play.  We went there last year.  I'd much rather be driving each day from NLR, but whatever must be done, will be done.
GO 'RIDERS---still the only baseball team to win a Great American Conference baseball tournament!!

Valleysports

Well congratulations!  :)

CathywithaC

Quote from: Valleysports on May 08, 2014, 12:27:10 pm
Well congratulations!  :)
Well thank you very much!  Perhaps we'll meet up again in Regionals!!

Valleysports

What year is your nephew in?  My facebook is eat up with one of last years Pitcher's (Sophomore) who was drafted by someone  ;D  His mom and I were classmates...

CathywithaC

Quote from: Valleysports on May 08, 2014, 07:28:20 pm
What year is your nephew in?  My facebook is eat up with one of last years Pitcher's (Sophomore) who was drafted by someone  ;D  His mom and I were classmates...
he's a senior.  SAU had three pitchers drafted last year--two were seniors and one was a junior; also had one position player drafted and he was a senior.

pathos

MSU-Mankato went 1-2 in their tournament. I think Tech will move back to first.

Valleysports

May 09, 2014, 08:27:34 am #23 Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 08:30:01 am by Valleysports
I'll look it up Cathy - seams like her maiden name is Baune?

Lions84

CathywithaC

Quote from: Valleysports on May 09, 2014, 08:27:34 am
I'll look it up Cathy - seams like her maiden name is Baune?
James Baune was one of the pitchers drafted last season but I think he was a junior.  He was a very good pitcher for SAU.

Romeo

UAM is in the regionals as a 5 seed. They'll play SAU.

Big Fan

bleudog

Quote from: Romeo on May 11, 2014, 10:30:14 pm

SAU is in the regional as a #2 seed. 

Should be a good one.

CLICK HERE

CathywithaC

Quote from: bleudog on May 11, 2014, 10:47:33 pm
Quote from: Romeo on May 11, 2014, 10:30:14 pm

SAU is in the regional as a #2 seed. 

Should be a good one.

CLICK HERE
Great to have three Arkansas teams in the six-team field.  I am over the moon not to be driving back to Mankato, MN!!

minerjack

Games start tomorrow??

CathywithaC

Quote from: minerjack2212 on May 14, 2014, 12:43:30 pm
Games start tomorrow??
weather permitting, they will start at Noon THursday.

Breitontime

There has been a ton of rain in the past 2-3 days.

Big Fan

Baseball program just got a huge save!  Coach John Harvey received a good offer from UA Fort Smith recently, but UAM countered with a raise and added an assistant coach position which won the bidding war! 

I have been a UAM supporter for more years than I can remember and this is the first time that I can recall that we upped the ante to keep a good coach.  It speaks volumes as to where the baseball program is headed, as well as the athletic department, with the help of the boosters and support from the administration. 

minerjack

Quote from: Big Fan on May 30, 2014, 08:02:34 am
Baseball program just got a huge save!  Coach John Harvey received a good offer from UA Fort Smith recently, but UAM countered with a raise and added an assistant coach position which won the bidding war! 

I have been a UAM supporter for more years than I can remember and this is the first time that I can recall that we upped the ante to keep a good coach.  It speaks volumes as to where the baseball program is headed, as well as the athletic department, with the help of the boosters and support from the administration.
Great way to handle this.  Good leadership qualities at UAM by doing this.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas