• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Waldron's on road to Success

Started by DogsWin7, March 02, 2012, 08:48:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How many games will Waldron win in 2013?

0 games
2 games
3 games
4 games
5 +
Will they just be improved

DogsWin7

Dayton,  I have to say that made 100% sense. 

Waldron is not the only school to deal with rural farm kids having to have a job.  It happen's at several school districts across AR,OK,MS. etc...   

Dayton Kitchens

Personally,  and perhaps I'm too old to understand players today, but to me players that worked during the summer could be a real asset.   I think they are likely to be further along in maturity, self discipline, and understanding teamwork.

DogsWin7

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 07, 2012, 03:43:37 pm
Personally,  and perhaps I'm too old to understand players today, but to me players that worked during the summer could be a real asset.   I think they are likely to be further along in maturity, self discipline, and understanding teamwork.

Amen!

DogsWin7

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 07, 2012, 02:55:45 pm
Coach Davis has a long road ahead of him in my opinion. I was at a 7 on 7 a few of summers ago and heard coach Rhetman talking about his numbers and when two-a-days started. He told a group of coaches that he had only about 30% of his players that showed up for summer workouts, and only about 60 % of his players on the first day of two-a-days. He said the rest of his team normally showed up on the first day of school. He was ask why that was and his explanation made sense. He said that most kids in Waldron were farm kids and had to work during the summer and alot of them were just plain poor and had to have summer jobs if they wanted any spending money. I can see that in Waldron. Asked if he disciplined them for missing he said flat out, NO. He said that he couldn't due to the number of kids and the fact that he would not get backed. If he desciplined all of them then they would not have very good numbers. This pans out folks if you look at it. Waldron always has great numbers in junior high but seem to taper off in Senior high. Just what I overheard one day...take it for what it is worth... :)

We all know that is true in rural areas, but don't you think waldrons losing record played a role in the numbers declining?  I know some kids begin to chose 1 sport over another as they get older too.

DogsWin7

March 08, 2012, 09:03:56 am #54 Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:19:18 am by DiehardFBfan
Well no news is good news I have always been told.

The mind is not a vessel to be filled; it is a fire to be kindled. -Plutarch

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will."
--Vince Lombardi

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 07, 2012, 03:24:25 pm
Coach Davis has a long road ahead of him in my opinion. I was at a 7 on 7 a few of summers ago and heard coach Rhetman talking about his numbers and when two-a-days started. He told a group of coaches that he had only about 30% of his players that showed up for summer workouts, and only about 60 % of his players on the first day of two-a-days. He said the rest of his team normally showed up on the first day of school. He was ask why that was and his explanation made sense. He said that most kids in Waldron were farm kids and had to work during the summer and alot of them were just plain poor and had to have summer jobs if they wanted any spending money. I can see that in Waldron. Asked if he disciplined them for missing he said flat out, NO. He said that he couldn't due to the number of kids and the fact that he would not get backed. If he desciplined all of them then they would not have very good numbers. This pans out folks if you look at it. Waldron always has great numbers in junior high but seem to taper off in Senior high. Just what I overheard one day...take it for what it is worth... :)

Just three years before the school closed for good,  the football coach at Altheimer (hope I spelled it right) couldn't get his players to practice until school began for several reasons.   

So he didn't even bother with two a days.

He canceled all his nonconference games,  played a 7 game regular season, finished the regular season 6-1 (losing only to Totty's Rison) and advancing to the third round of the playoffs, finishing 8-2 overall......with only 16 players on the team.

Many coaches stand sadly on the sidelines year after year hoping one day they will have the "athletes" that fit their system and they can win with.

A real coach takes what he has,  adjusts to circumstances,  turns liabilities into assets, and goes to war.
Bottom line is this, all the elite programs that win championships work during the summer. The game has changed. If you want to win championships and stay at or around the top, in the playoffs year after year, you work during the summers, your players attend two-a-days and they are disciplined if they miss and don't play if they don't attend all the functions unless they are made up. Greenwood, PA, Southside, Fayetteville, Bentonville, Junction City, El Dorado, Charleston, etc., all work during the summer and off season. Waldron will NEVER, EVER win anything until this mentality changes down there. Now, I am not saying that coach Davis can't do this, just saying it is gonna be a hard road. we had the same problem at Mansfield. When Gill got here there wasn't a summer program, two-a-days were attended by about 75% of the team. Yeah that first season after the rules were laid down we had about 25 players down from 48...but we had 25 that wanted to play football and it grew from there.
You have a system and either kids play in your system or they don't. You don't change your system to fit your kids. You might change your play book a little to accommodate a certain kids abilities or lack thereof, but never do you change your practice habits because kids don't come to practice...

Coach Venny Slocombe

But don't fully understand the play book or your teams demands. I can't wait until you run your own ship Dayton...it's gonna be fun to watch.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 08, 2012, 10:35:58 am
But don't fully understand the play book or your teams demands. I can't wait until you run your own ship Dayton...it's gonna be fun to watch.

Almost as fun as listing Mansfields championship teams.......

DogsWin7

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 08, 2012, 10:54:17 am

You gone and done a bad thing....................

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 08, 2012, 11:35:03 am

Doesn't bother me...ask Dayton how many championships he was a part of...lol...

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 08, 2012, 12:16:20 pm

And that would make us equals then..

DogsWin7

March 08, 2012, 12:25:25 pm #61 Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:28:08 pm by DiehardFBfan
Have you ever heard of jumping out of the frying pan into the FIRE dayton?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 08, 2012, 12:19:51 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 08, 2012, 12:16:20 pm

And that would make us equals then..
Uhhh, no...wrong again...

DogsWin7

how many championships does mansfield have?  you got me curious Coach V.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 08, 2012, 12:29:15 pm
None in football, but that isn't the question. The question is how many has DK and myself been a part of. Haven't lived and been in Mansfield my whole life...

DogsWin7

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 08, 2012, 12:32:25 pm
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 08, 2012, 12:29:15 pm
None in football, but that isn't the question. The question is how many has DK and myself been a part of. Haven't lived and been in Mansfield my whole life...

We know Dayton doesn't have any.  I don't think he even has a job or he wouldn't be on here all day!  but then again............

Overdahill

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 08, 2012, 10:34:14 am

Just three years before the school closed for good,  the football coach at Altheimer (hope I spelled it right) couldn't get his players to practice until school began for several reasons.   

He canceled all his nonconference games,  played a 7 game regular season, finished the regular season 6-1 (losing only to Totty's Rison) and advancing to the third round of the playoffs, finishing 8-2 overall......with only 16 players on the team.

Many coaches stand sadly on the sidelines year after year hoping one day they will have the "athletes" that fit their system and they can win with.

A real coach takes what he has,  adjusts to circumstances,  turns liabilities into assets, and goes to war.
Bottom line is this, all the elite programs that win championships work during the summer. The game has changed. If you want to win championships and stay at or around the top, in the playoffs year after year, you work during the summers, your players attend two-a-days and they are disciplined if they miss and don't play if they don't attend all the functions unless they are made up. Greenwood, PA, Southside, Fayetteville, Bentonville, Junction City, El Dorado, Charleston, etc., all work during the summer and off season. Waldron will NEVER, EVER win anything until this mentality changes down there. Now, I am not saying that coach Davis can't do this, just saying it is gonna be a hard road. we had the same problem at Mansfield. When Gill got here there wasn't a summer program, two-a-days were attended by about 75% of the team. Yeah that first season after the rules were laid down we had about 25 players down from 48...but we had 25 that wanted to play football and it grew from there.
You have a system and either kids play in your system or they don't. You don't change your system to fit your kids. You might change your play book a little to accommodate a certain kids abilities or lack thereof, but never do you change your practice habits because kids don't come to practice...

well said!

DogsWin7

March 08, 2012, 01:06:21 pm #67 Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:23:02 pm by DiehardFBfan
Greenwood, Southside, Fayetteville, Bentonville, etc. are more of an "in Town" kid elite group.

Bigger County, more higher paying jobs, more tax $ to go to school athletic programs.  It is hard to compare that to Waldron, Mansfield, Mena, Danville etc.  This is "rural" areas.

Charleston is an exception.  However, Waldron I believe has the furthest busing route in the state of Arkansas.  Kid's get on the bus at sun-up and some literally don't get home till sun-down.  That is in part to all the surrounding little communities having to drive or be bused into Waldron.  Or was the case many yrs ago. 

The only way some 2 a day practices might even be possible is to have a bus go get them.  Gas is expensive and a lot of those kids parents work at Tyson, many only have 1 rig to drive.  So, it is different circumstances that lead to the kid's not being able to play FB, not because they don't want too.  IMO  Unless, things have changed down in Waldron over several yrs ago.

Tyson, the school, and walmart are the biggest employer's in Scott Co or were.  I don't know if Waldron would even consider busing kid's in the summer?  Pay of a driver, fuel, mileage on the buses etc.  That could be costly to a school district.  I understand holding the kids accountable for practices and missed practices.  "in town" school kids and schools don't even have to worry with that. $$$, booster club, players etc.  not even close to G.

Is this really the issue?  or was it the commitment?

I am curious to know if volleyball has the same problem in Waldron?   They practice in the summer don't they.  Is the numbers good for Volleyball?

How about Band practice's ?  They still have a band right?  Is it an issue for them too?     

DogsWin7

March 08, 2012, 01:46:52 pm #68 Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:51:32 pm by DiehardFBfan

Good Point on Football in the past years but had to edit because in doing research found that Volleyball in Waldron is successful, on the sports website it showed a state tournament bracket for Waldron.   

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 08, 2012, 01:46:52 pm

Good Point Coach V.   

Let's see.

You agreed with me in Post #50.

You agreed with Venny in Post #68.

I admire a man with some flexibility but sucking up two different ways at the same time is carrying it too far.......

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 08, 2012, 02:28:26 pm
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 08, 2012, 01:46:52 pm

Good Point Coach V.   

Let's see.

You agreed with me in Post #50.

You agreed with Venny in Post #68.

I admire a man with some flexibility but sucking up two different ways at the same time is carrying it too far.......
There is no question who is right...history has my back...

Dayton Kitchens

^Winners write history.

I've been to eight years of coaching clinics and strangely enough I've never seen a book written by you......

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 08, 2012, 02:58:48 pm
^Winners write history.

I've been to eight years of coaching clinics and strangely enough I've never seen a book written by you......
I am sure with your history you have read almost every book written...when you don't work weekends you have time to read...but no victories...

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 08, 2012, 03:09:01 pm
^Winners write history.

I am sure with your history you have read almost every book written...when you don't work weekends you have time to read...but no victories...

True my fine feathered friend I read a great deal.

But have you been in the office of a real football coach lately?    I have.

They have more books on various phases of a football program.    Offensive line coaching,  defensive line coaching,  secondary coverages,  linebacking,   passing drills,  conditioning,  designing an off season program,   managing a football program.....than many teachers have in their classrooms.

I actually have some catching up to do.

I have only about 30 books on football coaching.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 08, 2012, 03:12:12 pm
^Winners write history.

They have more books on various phases of a football program.    Offensive line coaching,  defensive line coaching,  secondary coverages,  linebacking,   passing drills,  conditioning,  designing an off season program,   managing a football program.....than many teachers have in their classrooms.

Out of curiosity, where do you coach now?

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 08, 2012, 03:27:29 pm
Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 08, 2012, 03:12:12 pm
^Winners write history.

Out of curiosity, where do you coach now?

Nowhere.   I had hoped to get a head football coaching job this last year and I made it past the first round of candidate cut downs at a couple of schools.     

But I'll admit to being disappointed.

DogsWin7

I don't suck up to anyone anytime.  I thought you made a valid point about kid's being more mature that work.  To me that's true.

I thought Coach V. made a valid point with his proof of championship teams practicing 2 a days in the summer.  To me that's true.

Don't drag me into your battle with Coach V. that is something you are going to have settle on your own son.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 08, 2012, 03:33:44 pm
I don't suck up to anyone anytime.  I thought you made a valid point about kid's being more mature that work.  To me that's true.

I thought Coach V. made a valid point with his proof of championship teams practicing 2 a days in the summer.  To me that's true.

Don't drag me into your battle with Coach V. that is something you are going to have settle on your own son.

My apologies.

DogsWin7

apology accepted.

It all boils down to the work ethic, commitment etc. that a team put's forth in order to do what it takes to win.

They have to want it enough to do it.  They have to have a Coach to motiviate whatever type of kid they have standing in front of them everyday to get them to give 110%.  They also have to have support.    Basic Coaching 1 0 1. imo.

DogsWin7

Vince Lombardi
The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur.

Coach Venny Slocombe

I don't have any question that Coach Davis has what it takes to be a great coach, but he can't do it alone. The community has to get behind him and support his moves, even if effects someone they are close to. Listen, just because "Little Johnny" was the starting Qb last year does not mean he will fit the new coaches system as a Qb. Maybe he moves him to WR or Safety. I have saw parents get all up in arms over stuff like this, then they tell their friends and their friends tell more friends and first thing you know...the coach is an idiot all over town. It's gonna happen at some point, I just hope the community supports the coaches decision and not the parents who are mad about it. Also, the boosters need to get with this guy now and show him some love. Davis is in a new town with no friends. He will need major support.

DogsWin7

March 09, 2012, 08:42:22 am #81 Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:18:09 am by DiehardFBfan
  I agree Coach V.  Booster Club needs to get involved ASAP!if they haven't yet.  I hate rumors, all they do is stir things up for No good.  I read on ur hometown sports baseball schedule that Waldron is in a baseball tournament over spring break that's away.  Shame most of the kids will be out of town if he is planning on spending Spring Break in Waldron.   Would be great opportunity to set some things up.  Maybe Waldron is planning too, i don't know.  where is GoodBetterBetz? 

The winner asks, "May I help?" The loser asks, "Do you expect me to do that?" William Arthur Ward

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. »

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 09, 2012, 08:23:16 am
Vince Lombardi
The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur.
My favorite two sports quotes of all time...
"Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser" - Vince Lombardi
"I didn't put the uniform on to play the game. I put the uniform on to win the game" - Larry Bird

DogsWin7

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 09, 2012, 09:17:47 am
Vince Lombardi
"I didn't put the uniform on to play the game. I put the uniform on to win the game" - Larry Bird

A lot of truth in quotes- personally I think they should be used more often for young kids.  They are so use to mediocre.  It is Fun to expand their knowledge.

DogsWin7

I will never forget 1 time when I was a kid, standing with the team.  A gentleman passed by and asked " well boy's are you going to win?  A teamate answered " no, probably not".  The gentleman replied " well,  Why are you here? "  kid said " i like football"  gentleman said "I guess I better go back to the gate and ask for a refund".  The kid said,  Why?  The gentleman said because their is NO way you are going to win as long as you and your teamates believe you are going to lose.   

Jimbo Morphis

Vince Lombardi
don't forget "what is the big deal about spring football?" by dayton kitchens. that is one of my all time favorites. sounds a lot like vince lombardi.

DogsWin7

Quote from: whippersnapper on March 07, 2012, 11:47:20 am
Yes I understand that you need to evaluate your players first. But every coach has an offense and defense he is more accustomed to and has an idea of what they would LIKE to run.
Diehard, I said it during the season that Waldron had a lot of fight in them this last season. They lost to Dover by a td and didnt get mercy ruled by Boonville. As for the last game between mena and Waldron. Well we had no fight to us in the game. The players just knew it was Waldron and that they would win. I hope that mindset changes though. We had a soph at QB that game and he was rattled the WHOLE night and I think we threw somewhere like 10 pass attempts with him. This years game I hope will be different, mena is looking to be a very good team. But you never know till the season starts

bleudog

I always liked baseball quotes:

Skip: You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!
Larry: Lollygaggers!
Skip: Lollygaggers.

and the always inspirational:

Larry: Okay, well, uh... candlesticks always make a nice gift, and uh, maybe you could find out where she's registered and maybe a place-setting or maybe a silverware pattern. Okay, let's get two! Go get 'em.

and let's not forget:

Crash Davis: You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time."
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Got to play... it's pretty boring.
Crash Davis: 'Course it's boring, that's the point. Write it down.

DogsWin7

Baseball Quote:In order to excel, you must be completely dedicated to your chosen sport. You must also be prepared to work hard and be willing to accept constructive criticism. Without one-hundred percent dedication, you won't be able to do this."  -Willie Mays

DogsWin7

Least We forget: "New Brand of Bulldog Football" +  Mindset(CHANGED)+ Coach(CHANGED)=

WINNERS     WINNERS     WINNERS

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Oldman on March 09, 2012, 09:51:23 am
Vince Lombardi
don't forget "what is the big deal about spring football?" by dayton kitchens. that is one of my all time favorites. sounds a lot like vince lombardi.
Yeah oldman, I remember that. That was on the 2a board wasn't it. I believe that was said when we were arguing with dayton about how coaches worked Saturday's...he don't think coaches should work on weekends either...lol...

Coach Venny Slocombe

One of my favorite quotes of all time...

"As I lay awake in bed looking up at the stars I wondered, where the heck is my roof!"

-Jason Gill-   2008

I love jabbin at my ole buddy and good friend Coach Jason Gill... :)

DogsWin7

March 09, 2012, 12:13:35 pm #92 Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:46:30 pm by DiehardFBfan
Here Dayton you might read this since you like to read:

Spring Football is "NO" big deal?

lol..........

DogsWin7

Quote from: bleudog on March 09, 2012, 10:17:47 am
I always liked baseball quotes:

Skip: You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!
Larry: Lollygaggers!
Skip: Lollygaggers.

and the always inspirational:

Larry: Okay, well, uh... candlesticks always make a nice gift, and uh, maybe you could find out where she's registered and maybe a place-setting or maybe a silverware pattern. Okay, let's get two! Go get 'em.

and let's not forget:

Crash Davis: You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time."
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Got to play... it's pretty boring.
Crash Davis: 'Course it's boring, that's the point. Write it down.

Stupid movie Bull Durham.   What are you inferring now bleudog?

bleudog

March 09, 2012, 03:39:53 pm #94 Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:48:27 pm by bleudog
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 09, 2012, 02:33:18 pm

Just thought this thread had taken a strange derail from possible improvements in offense/defense formations, coaching philosophies, play calling, technique/strength training, conditioning, community/player buy-in, etc. 

I'm all in favor of motivation and am a huge fan of the potential beauty of the English language, but I'm implying knowing a trite quote will help a competitor more in a trivia contest or Jeopardy than in an athletic endeavor.

Now let's go out there and win one for the Gipper. 8)

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 09, 2012, 12:13:35 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/cory_mccartney/03/09/big-12-spring-primer/index.html    lol..........

I'll remember that the next time I'm called upon to coach a major college program...........

DogsWin7

Quote from: bleudog on March 09, 2012, 03:39:53 pm
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 09, 2012, 02:33:18 pm

Just thought this thread had taken a strange derail from possible improvements in offense/defense formations, coaching philosophies, play calling, technique/strength training, conditioning, community/player buy-in, etc. 

I'm all in favor of motivation and am a huge fan of the potential beauty of the English language, but I'm implying knowing a trite quote will help a competitor more in a trivia contest or Jeopardy than in an athletic endeavor.

Now let's go out there and win one for the Gipper. 8)

I had a bleudog once, blue tick hound..........wasn't too bright.

I love jeopardy!  A person who has an intelligent brain and can think underpressure can be very useful to a football team in my experience.  Mastery of plays and execution on the field.  Quick Minded can often allow the players to access certain situations in order to defeat the opponent. The ultimate goal to WIN the GAME.   The mind is a beautiful thing in the levels of operations it has in Football an in everyday capacities such as academics.  One to excel and achieve the goal of becoming a Coach, Lawyer, Doctor, etc.

Maybe the bleudog you should seek is Blue's Clue's...............  ;)

DogsWin7

March 09, 2012, 05:44:58 pm #97 Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:47:00 pm by DiehardFBfan
Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 09, 2012, 05:43:59 pm
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 09, 2012, 12:13:35 pm

lol..........

just kidding you Dayton.  High School isn't College.

I'll remember that the next time I'm called upon to coach a major college program...........

DogsWin7

March 09, 2012, 06:02:22 pm #98 Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:47:20 pm by DiehardFBfan
bleudog

you can go to sportsmindskills.com
Mental Toughness Training........for Athletes
Motivational Speeches i.e. Quotes.................for Athletes

Lou Holtz, Bear Bryant, Vince Lombardi...............Great Quotes by Coaches of Football.

Wins, losses and lessons by Lou Holtz= Great Read

bleudog

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 09, 2012, 06:02:22 pm
bleudog

www.sportsmindskills.com
Mental Toughness Training........for Athletes
Motivational Speeches i.e. Quotes.................for Athletes

Lou Holtz, Bear Bryant, Vince Lombardi...............Great Quotes by Coaches of Football.

Wins, losses and lessons by Lou Holtz= Great Read

If you're serious about your FF signature, you might also enjoy "Season of Life" by Jeffrey Marx.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas