• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Early Struggles??

Started by Reddie20, March 05, 2019, 11:57:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddie20

I know its early but what teams are struggling or haven't looked as good as we thought they would so far?

Rick Swines

Jonesboro seems to really be struggling

T-Bone

Quote from: Rick Swines on March 05, 2019, 04:38:23 pm
Jonesboro seems to really be struggling

In what?  You know I disagree with that comment.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 05, 2019, 06:34:00 pm
In what?  You know I disagree with that comment.

I think you missed the sarcasm in his response.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2019, 06:35:25 pm
I think you missed the sarcasm in his response.

Oh I knew he was messing around.  But you know in this game anything can happen. 

CageMonsterNWA

The only thing Jonesboro struggles with is how to act in the dugout and in the stands—chanting like a 5th grade softball team (although some of the chants were pretty witty). And a fan got ejected for riding the plate umpire too hard in one game. 

But as baseball players, that team backed up all their ridiculous chants with some stellar offensive play and outstanding pitching when it really counted.

I know you will probably defend them, T-Bone, and that's your prerogative, but it needed to be said.

T-Bone

March 05, 2019, 07:39:51 pm #6 Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:52:21 pm by T-Bone
Quote from: CageMonsterNWA on March 05, 2019, 07:32:42 pm
The only thing Jonesboro struggles with is how to act in the dugout and in the stands—chanting like a 5th grade softball team (although some of the chants were pretty witty). And a fan got ejected for riding the plate umpire too hard in one game. 

But as baseball players, that team backed up all their ridiculous chants with some stellar offensive play and outstanding pitching when it really counted.

I know you will probably defend them, T-Bone, and that’s your prerogative, but it needed to be said.

No I do not defend anyone here.  If you saw me I was rapped up in a hooded coat and said very little.  I think the world of our players and parents.  I do not agree with all that happened in those two games.  Honestly you can ask my wife if you know me.  I told her more than once I was about to move away from everyone. 

CageMonsterNWA

Quote from: T-Bone on March 05, 2019, 07:39:51 pm
No I do not defend anyone here.  If you saw me I was rapped up in a hooded coat and said very little.  I think the world of our players and parents.  I do not agree with all that happened in those two games.  Honestly you can ask my wife if you know me.  I told her more than once I was about to move away from everyone.

My apologies to you, T-Bone.  I should not have assumed you would defend those who were acting inappropriately.

T-Bone

Quote from: CageMonsterNWA on March 05, 2019, 08:16:06 pm
My apologies to you, T-Bone.  I should not have assumed you would defend those who were acting inappropriately.

I expected many to be upset.  They are all good people.  Many are great friends and may have Just got carried away a little.

Rick Swines

Yes that was very much sarcastic. I feel jonesboro is the best in the state.

ricepig

I know you will probably defend them, T-Bone, and that's your prerogative, but it needed to be said.

Yeah, I'm not much on the chanting, but it's seems to have become part of the old 6A East mantra. Searcy, MH, and Marion would have made you think you were out at the softball complex on a Saturday, it is was it is. The best way to deal with it is to shut them up with your play.

hurricanes1

Quote from: Rick Swines on March 05, 2019, 10:05:24 pm
Yes that was very much sarcastic. I feel jonesboro is the best in the state.

YES!!!! Can't wait until we head back to the Hill!

beach bum

March 07, 2019, 09:44:33 pm #12 Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:53:50 pm by beach bum

Baseball can have a little too much of what I call  "frat boy culture" in it....And what you just described is exactly what I am talking about. A bunch of pretty boys doing things like what you just described. And go to a college game and look out in the stands. The crowd consists of too many people getting drunk yelling at the umpires over nothing half the time. I'll never get it I guess. Go to a U of A game out past left field & the bullpen, and might as well just call it a frat party. The players on the field remind me of the frat boy culture too there the way they carry themselves.

OB11

Quote from: beach bum on March 07, 2019, 09:44:33 pm
Baseball can have a little too much of what I call  "frat boy culture" in it....And what you just described is exactly what I am talking about. A bunch of pretty boys doing things like what you just described. And go to a college game and look out in the stands. The crowd consists of too many people getting drunk yelling at the umpires over nothing half the time. I'll never get it I guess. Go to a U of A game out past left field & the bullpen, and might as well just call it a frat party. The players on the field remind me of the frat boy culture too there the way they carry themselves.

Baseball is a "country club" sport for the most part now. If you don't have $$$ you probably aren't playing.

CageMonsterNWA

Quote from: OB11 on March 08, 2019, 10:19:45 am
Baseball is a "country club" sport for the most part now. If you don't have $$$ you probably aren't playing.

Agreed and somewhat guilty, although "rich" is a relative term. I'm not rich, but I have chosen to spend a lot of my expendable income on supporting my son's baseball career. In my community, we have to find a way to make baseball accessible to our Hispanic/Latino youth. The best H/L athletes dominate in soccer, but they don't play baseball, which is a major sport in many parts of Mexico and Central and South America. Wish I knew the answer.

T-Bone

Quote from: OB11 on March 08, 2019, 10:19:45 am

Some very good players came from poor families.  I do not agree baseball is a country club sport.  Golf is but not baseball.  Kids can be as good as they want to be with a little luck involved.  Yes money will get many in the travel sports noticed.  But if a kid wants to play he can come from a family with little to no money so to speak.  Just having money does not make an athlete!

OB11

Quote from: T-Bone on March 08, 2019, 09:25:49 pm
Some very good players came from poor families.  I do not agree baseball is a country club sport.  Golf is but not baseball.  Kids can be as good as they want to be with a little luck involved.  Yes money will get many in the travel sports noticed.  But if a kid wants to play he can come from a family with little to no money so to speak.  Just having money does not make an athlete!

Yes some very good players came (past tense) from sub par financial situations but I don't see it happening much anymore. If you don't have the money or decide to allocate expendable income on it like Cage mentioned, then you're probably not going to be very good. Too many opportunities in other sports that don't cost a lot of money to families.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 08, 2019, 09:25:49 pm

Can come, sure, but the truth is very few do. It's much easier to find a hoop and a basketball, then glove, spikes, bat, and cage time. Fact of the matter, most college players come from a travel/select program, very few college coaches have the time to scout during high school season, as theirs overlaps with it.

5tooldad

While it's true that summer baseball can get very expensive, its not just for rich kids and the "frat boy" vibe is no more prevalent in baseball than it is in other sports.  There are some spoiled rich kids playing baseball....no doubt.  (Though most of those kids don't see a lot of action.....the kids who work get to play at the high school level and above). But there are spoiled rich kids playing basketball, football, golf, running track, etc...   I don't see the ratios being any higher in baseball. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas