• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Batesville vs Berryville State Championship

Started by JessieP, March 03, 2019, 12:54:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Who you got?

Batesville by single digits
17 (39.5%)
Berryville by single digits
12 (27.9%)
Batesville by double digits
13 (30.2%)
Berryville by double digits
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

JessieP

NEASportsFan1

If Batesville can instill their pace into this one, I don't see any reason for them not to win. Not sure about Berryville's playmakers, but with Batesville, to this point, you can't single just one player out while on the defensive side of the floor. Yeah, Izzy had 30 yesterday, but the game before that Alley Edwards had a double double. This team is full of fire power. Just keep pushing the ball up the floor and getting to the foul line and we'll be in good shape. I just pray for safe travels to everyone going to Hot Springs and an injury free state finals weekend.

Hogman2018

Jessie I was in Magnolia and I was really impressed with the Batesville girls! They will win by double digits

HogCall11

Walter s

I think batesville can run them out of the gym. They're not very deep, and I don't see how their 2 bigs can get back on d against the pace batesville pushes it at. However, if berryville can somehow dictate the pace it could be a heckuva game

JessieP

Quote from: Hogman2018 on March 03, 2019, 08:35:00 am
Jessie I was in Magnolia and I was really impressed with the Batesville girls! They will win by double digits

They seem to be rolling. It's so nice to finally be the one being chased instead of being in the chase pack.

NEA Razorback olfan

Good Luck to Batesville.
We have had plenty of battles with this team.

Frank Abagnale Jr.

March 03, 2019, 02:08:35 pm #7 Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 02:11:17 pm by Frank Abagnale Jr.
Looks to be on Thursday night at 5:45.

RunninJoe

Are you kidding? Teams from 3+ hours away get the Thursday slot?

Frank Abagnale Jr.

Quote from: RunninJoe on March 03, 2019, 02:11:20 pm
Are you kidding? Teams from 3+ hours away get the Thursday slot?

That's what they say. I think that it's the worst spot for anyone. Unfortunate for Batesville.

Frank Abagnale Jr.

Saturday consists of 1A, 2A, and 3A girls, 2A boys and 4A boys. May be the only Saturday I haven't made the trip in years. Very lackluster lineup for Saturday.

Yellowcake

Batesville will thrash Berryville.
And likely severely. The kind of thrashing that leaves marks.

HogCall11

Quote from: Yellowcake on March 03, 2019, 03:13:30 pm
Batesville will thrash Berryville.
And likely severely. The kind of thrashing that leaves marks.

You know that is just rude. Berryville best Farmington by 29 points and they play a fast game just like Batesville. I hope you have to eat crow for even saying that. You guys act like they got here by accident.

Walter s

I didn't realize berryville played fast. Against us(Clarksville) they walked it up and were deliberate and patient on offense and got the shot they wanted. If they can play fast also obviously that's a plus going into this matchup. One thing's for sure, if you let 41 get goin she can be an absolute monster

JessieP

Quote from: HogCall11 on March 03, 2019, 03:22:54 pm
You know that is just rude. Berryville best Farmington by 29 points and they play a fast game just like Batesville. I hope you have to eat crow for even saying that. You guys act like they got here by accident.

Wait, Berryville plays fast? Why haven't they played fast this tournament? The general consensus about this game is that Batesville may run them off the court. Berryville plays a slow walk it up the court pack it in the paint type game. Batesville is run, run and run. They go 10 deep on the bench and rotate fresh legs constantly. Why don't they list the 29 point victory over Farmington on their schedule? I saw a 19 point margin, and a 10 point loss, but no 29 point victory. No one is saying there are here by accident but that doesn't mean they are not a huge underdog. Let's not forget that the officials made PA play with one hand tied behind their back.

Walter s

My bad. I think I misinterpreted what he said. I think he meant berryville beat Farmington, who also plays fast. Don't think he meant berryville plays fast

HogCall11

Berryville best Farmington 54-25, it's on max preps so it is listed. Was meaning when they play a fast team like Farmington don't count them out. Batesville is very very talented and I would never say anything bad about them. I just think some of the thrashing comments are not called for. There are 2 teams that want it really bad.

JessieP

Quote from: HogCall11 on March 03, 2019, 05:28:18 pm
Berryville best Farmington 54-25, it's on max preps so it is listed. Was meaning when they play a fast team like Farmington don't count them out. Batesville is very very talented and I would never say anything bad about them. I just think some of the thrashing comments are not called for. There are 2 teams that want it really bad.

You may be too close to the situation or at the very least, overreacting. A parent of a player who has battled both Batesville and Berryville, a father with no ax to grind with Berryville or allegiance to Batesville, expressed his opinion on the game. He used a very common sports metaphor to express how he felt one team was clearly better. No one has bashed Berryville or questioned their spot in the championship. People can say they feel a team is the clear favorite without thrashing the opponent. Heck, even in this rinky dink poll Batesville is picked to win by a 3 to 1 margin. Basketball is a game where match ups are uber important, match ups can even tilt overall talent. Since the field was at 8 the general consensus was that between PA, Brookland, Harrison, Farmington, Star City, De Queen and Berryville, Berryville matched up the worst against Batesville. Their weaknesses are Batesville's strengths. It's just the way basketball works. Berryville may match up great against Harrison and PA but match up horribly against Batesville. When people point out their thoughts they aren't thrashing anyone.

Frank Abagnale Jr.

Quote from: HogCall11 on March 03, 2019, 05:28:18 pm

But, in the most recent matchup, they lost to Farmington by 10.

byvark

"Yellowcake - Batesville will thrash Berryville.
And likely severely. The kind of thrashing that leaves marks."

Sounds like someone thrashing to me.

boss85

HogCall11

Good Luck to all, will stay off of this site from now on.

byvark

Hogcall 11 - Don't let the negativity about teams that are not certain contributors' favorites dissuade you from your worthwhile contributions.  We are equally entitled to root for and comment on our teams without dissing someone else's team favorite.  Simply because we are not from the NE, Central, or South part of the state does not mean our teams are not worthy of compliments and comments.  We just choose to brag about ours without downing someone else's.  Who knows, we might win a title in some sport unexpectedly someday.

JessieP

March 04, 2019, 09:43:35 am #23 Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:58:57 am by JessieP
Quote from: byvark on March 04, 2019, 09:16:21 am
Hogcall 11 - Don't let the negativity about teams that are not certain contributors' favorites dissuade you from your worthwhile contributions.  We are equally entitled to root for and comment on our teams without dissing someone else's team favorite.  Simply because we are not from the NE, Central, or South part of the state does not mean our teams are not worthy of compliments and comments.  We just choose to brag about ours without downing someone else's.  Who knows, we might win a title in some sport unexpectedly someday.

I would ask you to show me a post where anyone bashed Berryville but that would be an exercise in futility, we all know that post doesn't exist. Picking a team to lose is NOT bashing them, unless you apply PC snowflake logic. Thankfully that backwards mindset rarely exists in the world of competitive sports. As far as NW Arkansas goes, logic would dictate with their population base and school size they would win championships in most sports most of the time. That "poor little us" whine is laughable. NW Arkansas has the biggest schools in the state, why do they not win every title? Teams from the Central and South part of the state are well represented here and on the fields of play.

byvark

Dang, didn't expect my encouragement to a poster to elicit such a venomous response.  No "poor pitiful me" here.  Talent, good coaching, and resources are not always located equitably geographically.  Fact of life. Got to do the best you can with what you are blessed.  We should all be proud of our teams.  Anyone who has made it this far in the process is worthy and deserving of accolades.  Are you sure your statement about the largest school districts being in NE Arkansas?  Doesn't Springdale had the two largest school districts?  Aren't several of the larger 4A schools in NW Arkansas as well? 

JessieP

Quote from: byvark on March 04, 2019, 10:18:47 am
Dang, didn't expect my encouragement to a poster to elicit such a venomous response.  No "poor pitiful me" here.  Talent, good coaching, and resources are not always located equitably geographically.  Fact of life. Got to do the best you can with what you are blessed.  We should all be proud of our teams.  Anyone who has made it this far in the process is worthy and deserving of accolades.  Are you sure your statement about the largest school districts being in NE Arkansas?  Doesn't Springdale had the two largest school districts?  Aren't several of the larger 4A schools in NW Arkansas as well?

That was my mistake, a typo. I mean't NW Arkansas, where Berryville is located, has the major population centers. NW Arkansas. To play "Their picking on little old us" card is ludicrous. I'm curious, why haven't you shared the post where someone bashed Berryville? You're playing the victim card, no one else is.

Walter s

Was just wondering about batesville players. They're loaded with talent. We've crossed paths w Gardener sisters during the summer. Didn't realize she's only a jr. she can light it up. But was wondering what kind of colleges are looking @ Higgenbottom? Only a sophomore but plays w poise of a college kid. Her vision is awesome but man she can do it all!

RiceMan3

Quote from: JessieP on March 03, 2019, 04:24:29 pm
Wait, Berryville plays fast? Why haven't they played fast this tournament? The general consensus about this game is that Batesville may run them off the court. Berryville plays a slow walk it up the court pack it in the paint type game. Batesville is run, run and run. They go 10 deep on the bench and rotate fresh legs constantly. Why don't they list the 29 point victory over Farmington on their schedule? I saw a 19 point margin, and a 10 point loss, but no 29 point victory. No one is saying there are here by accident but that doesn't mean they are not a huge underdog. Let's not forget that the officials made PA play with one hand tied behind their back.

If it's a fast paced game, Batesville will score at will.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Walter s on March 04, 2019, 11:16:50 am
Was just wondering about batesville players. They're loaded with talent. We've crossed paths w Gardener sisters during the summer. Didn't realize she's only a jr. she can light it up. But was wondering what kind of colleges are looking @ Higgenbottom? Only a sophomore but plays w poise of a college kid. Her vision is awesome but man she can do it all!

Unless she changes her mind, Griffin is not playing at the college level, though I know some colleges would love to have her in either/both basketball or volleyball (or softball or soccer or pretty much anything she decided to play!!).  Edwards appears to be going to Lyon College to play volleyball.  I do not know about Haigwood, but I'm sure she could contribute at a small college.  She is quite knowledgeable and contributes in so many ways (she might also go to a small college on a volleyball scholarship, but that's just speculation on my part).  Stewart is also a sophomore and is a monster hitter in volleyball, though she will contribute even more next year in basketball.  Two freshman also saw time over the last few games, so while the Pioneers are losing three fine senior starters, they ought to be contenders again next year.

Go Postal

JessieP, you forget to add the Refs by 1 in your poll.  ;). As many have stated in other threads about the ticky-tack calls in the playoff games that sometimes stalled the pace of the game, let's hope that this game will be decided by the talent of the players and let the officials make the calls when needed and not make the calls on a "Look at me" basis.  Myself and others, on the winning and losing teams, have both agreed that this seemed to happen more than not doing the playoffs.  The only girl's game that I saw that the officials really let the players play more physical like the boys was the Berryville/Harrison game.  I'm not condoning that players get hurt but this is a physical sport and not a don't breathe on me sport.
So anyway, good luck to these Northeast / Northwest Arkansas teams.  It should be a good one.  I will see some of you posters in the Spring sports forums and congratulations to Batesville and Berryville girl's teams on making it to the finals.  You are both champions in my mind.

With all that said,

Reaction of the Lady Pioneer fans if Batesville loses...

Reaction of the Lady Bobcat fans if Berryville wins...

NEASPORTSFAN

Quote from: Walter s on March 04, 2019, 11:16:50 am

higgenbottem has already had a visit to michigan

JessieP

Quote from: NEASPORTSFAN on March 07, 2019, 10:49:13 am
higgenbottem has already had a visit to michigan

She's only a 10th grader, that's hard to fathom. Mississippi State, Florida and Memphis have also been sniffing around.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: JessieP on March 07, 2019, 01:30:16 pm
She's only a 10th grader, that's hard to fathom. Mississippi State, Florida and Memphis have also been sniffing around.

Great for her,  very talented player!!

Bluekatz12

Good luck to Coach Stan Folwer and the Lady Pioneers.

JessieP

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on March 07, 2019, 01:47:53 pm
Great for her,  very talented player!!

With all the talent Batesville and Brookland have returning next year we may be witnessing the beginning of a pretty intense rivalry. 

Frank Abagnale Jr.

Quote from: JessieP on March 07, 2019, 04:08:09 pm
With all the talent Batesville and Brookland have returning next year we may be witnessing the beginning of a pretty intense rivalry.

Don't leave Highland out of that.

And I believe it was an unofficial visit - but a visit nonetheless.

JessieP

Quote from: Frank Abagnale Jr. on March 07, 2019, 04:27:43 pm
Don't leave Highland out of that.

And I believe it was an unofficial visit - but a visit nonetheless.

Without question Highland. I'll tell you what, the facilities, ease of drive and the welcoming people of Highland guarantee a lot of Pioneer Nation will be making that drive. Highland is a great atmosphere for high school basketball.

I'm not sure Sophomores can take an official visit, I may be wrong. I think right now a lot of schools are merely introducing themselves and laying the groundwork for a proper recruiting pitch. There is no question that if she wants, college will be free.

Go Postal

Game delay...
Hall and Marion boys teams in OT.

Streamed on AETN tv channels for video.

Berryville radio with Kevin "The Voice of the Bobcats" Smith link at

https://radio.securenetsystems.net/cwa/index.cfm?stationCallSign=KTHS

Go Postal

I like that the Senior from Vilonia's EagleVision is commentating between games.  I liked his commentary during the football and basketball seasons.  He seemed very knowledgeable of the teams playing 

Go Postal

March 07, 2019, 06:28:37 pm #39 Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 06:31:46 pm by Go Postal
Berryville Lady Bobcats 18
Batesville Lady Pioneers 21

End of 1.  Great comeback by the Lady Pioneers.  This is a great game.

Go Postal

Berryville Lady Bobcats 28
Batesville Lady Pioneers 29

Half.  Lady Bobcats need to  stop the long passes against the fast Lady Pioneers.  Phenomenal game.

JessieP

This is worrisome. The Pioneers outside shooting tonight is awful. If they keep missing everything from 15 feet out they will lose.

The_Pioneer

If the game keeps being played at this pace, Berryville won't have any legs left at the end.

Go Postal

You heard it here first by my buds from Batesville

Go Postal

I swear that there is a Matt Damien lookalike on the Berryville fans on tv. :o

Go Postal

Berryville Lady Bobcats 46
Batesville Lady Pioneers 46

End of 3

smallybells

Haven't kept up with girls 4A ball much this year, but 30 & 24 for Batesville are impressive!

Go Postal

March 07, 2019, 07:37:11 pm #47 Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:56:44 pm by Go Postal
Berryville Lady Bobcats 66
Batesville Lady Pioneers 72
Final .  What a game!  Congratulations Batesville. Great 4th period by the Lady Pioneers. Congratulations Berryville for getting in the school history as being in the Championship game.  Was a amazing game.

Will see you in the Spring sports forums.

JessieP

MDXPHD

Berryville played a good game but it's hard to win when the steals were 15-1! Great job by Batesville.

Quote from: smallybells on March 07, 2019, 07:29:37 pm
Haven't kept up with girls 4A ball much this year, but 30 & 24 for Batesville are impressive!

They should have been CoMVP but you can't argue with either. 30 is a soph so you should keep an eye on her for a couple of years!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas