• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alma 2019 Soccer Season (The First Varsity One)

Started by AT, February 27, 2019, 09:26:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

February 27, 2019, 09:26:05 am Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:30:11 pm by Almatrackster
Alma Airedales (2-1-1) (1-0)
02/26/2019 - @ Prairie Grove - 1-4 Loss
02/28/2019 - vs. Huntsville - 3-0 Win
03/05/2019 - vs. Vilonia - 3-0 Win
03/07/2019 - vs. Poteau, OK - 1-1 Tie

Alma Airedalettes (2-2) (0-1)
02/26/2019 - @ Prairie Grove - 0-3 Loss
02/28/2019 - vs. Huntsville - 4-2 Win
03/05/2019 - vs. Vilonia - 0-3 Loss
03/07/2019 - vs. Poteau, OK - 3-0 Win

sevenof400

Hope this goes well for y'all in Alma.  The first seasons are tough but it's nice y'all have come to the party!

Buck183

I'm just happy to see them finally start a soccer program.

AT

Alma sweeps Huntsville at home tonight for their first varsity wins in program history!

AT

Questions from a first season soccer fan: Is it like most other team sports? Top 4 teams from each conference qualify for state? Do all the new 5A teams have soccer?

Coach Sturdivant has stated that he thinks the 5A West is going to be the best 5A conference and it will be a battle for each team. I hope we are competitive in non conference like we have been and that we scratch and claw in conference and maybe pull out some victories this year.

sevenof400

March 01, 2019, 12:14:33 pm #5 Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 12:23:08 pm by sevenof400
AT: FWIW I can tell you the West is typically NOT the strongest of conferences on the boys side. In recent years, that would be the South (DeQueen, Hot Springs, and Hot Springs Lakeside).  I know DeQueen is 4A now (so they are out of the 5A focus) but the two Hot Springs teams are usually teams you expect to do well in the post season.  The South did NOT get the bump in quality this year (with the addition of the old 6A schools) that the West did - that is for sure....

I would expect Siloam and Russellville to be competitive based on their histories in the 6A, and LR Christian usually has a good number of club players - I'd theorize there are three of the four West teams that will make the playoffs. 

Keeping in mind the old 6A teams that have moved down to 5A now will shake up a lot of what we believed based on previous years.
I would still think the South would be the toughest conference EXCEPT that the gap between the South and West narrows considerably with the addition of Siloam and Russellville to the West.  I'd probably put the East next and the Central the weakest (which is NOT to sell Maumelle short but more so the rest of the conference). 

VHSCoach2

March 01, 2019, 01:12:48 pm #6 Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:16:52 pm by VHSCoach2
Quote from: Almatrackster on March 01, 2019, 11:33:12 am
Questions from a first season soccer fan: Is it like most other team sports? Top 4 teams from each conference qualify for state? Do all the new 5A teams have soccer?

Coach Sturdivant has stated that he thinks the 5A West is going to be the best 5A conference and it will be a battle for each team. I hope we are competitive in non conference like we have been and that we scratch and claw in conference and maybe pull out some victories this year.

AT,

The Top 4 from each conference do make State. No conference tournaments in 5A this season. Other classifications may be a different story.

Here is a breakdown of the 5A schools that offer soccer:

East: Greene County Tech, Jonesboro, Marion, Mountain Home, Nettleton, Paragould, Searcy, West Memphis
West: Alma, Beebe, Greenbrier, Greenwood, Little Rock Christian, Russellville, Siloam Springs, Vilonia
Central: Hall, Jacksonville, Maumelle, Parkview, Pine Bluff (boys only), Sylvan Hills, White Hall
South: Benton, El Dorado, Hot Springs, Fair (boys only), Lake Hamilton, Lakeside, Sheridan, Texarkana

As a new soccer fan, if you watch the women's World Cup this summer, and then the next men's World Cup in 2022, you may hear the term "Group of Death," which is said about the toughest group in the tournament. Numerous people have said that the new 5A West is the "Conference of Death." Time will tell for that, I suppose.

WillC

I won't put money on it, but it wouldn't shock me at all if Russellville runs the table in conference play. The best team might be in the West (arguably, of course), but I agree that the South may be deeper.

sssuperpantherfan2

March 02, 2019, 06:36:57 am #8 Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 09:11:25 am by sssuperpantherfan2
I think the West and the South will have the toughest teams to contend with. SS is struggling now but we are playing up against better teams. Today we will match up against Edmond North.  This will give us a fair comparison of f our strength, we have a lot of young players this year.

Buck183

Quote from: sssuperpantherfan2 on March 02, 2019, 06:36:57 am
I think the West and the South will have the toughest teams to contend with. SS is struggling now but we are playing up against better teams. Today we will match up against Edmond North.  This will give us a fair comparison of f our strength, we have a lot of young players this year.

This would be for girls and not boys.  Siloam boys are as strong as they've ever been and will likely be in the mix when things start to play out. 

AT

Alma splits with Vilonia. Boys win for the first conference win in program history. The ladies are looking forwards to their first victory.

sevenof400

RazorDad

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 05, 2019, 08:43:21 pm
Alma splits with Vilonia. Boys win for the first conference win in program history. The ladies are looking forwards to their first victory.

Congratulations!!! 🎉🎈

AT

I did not, seven, but I know that it was a confidence booster and exciting for the guys. That first conference win helps.

sevenof400

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 06, 2019, 12:22:15 pm
I did not, seven, but I know that it was a confidence booster and exciting for the guys. That first conference win helps.

Absolutely.
Do you know if Alma is recording these games and putting them anywhere for public viewing?

AT

Not full games, seven, but Coach Sturdivant is uploading highlights to the hudl pages.

Here's the boys:

https://www.hudl.com/team/v2/317858/Boys-Varsity-Soccer

Go Postal

Thanks for this thread,  trackster.  This is Arkansas sports has in the making.  Alma's boys and girls have a hard road ahead of them, especially with Siloam Springs and Russellville in the conference but should make the 'Dales and Airedalettes only better with time.  Congratulations Alma with your H311 freezes over teams making the next step in Arkansas sports programs.

Go Postal

Trackster, as a new fan of this sport (and maybe not seen futbal much), you will probably have questions on rules, phrases, etc.  I was once like you but have learned to love this sport also like football and basketball.  The guys and gals on here would be glad to answer any questions that you might have so don't hesitate to ask.  I like to tell new fans that soccer especially American soccer is like a physical ball game that you move the ball with all parts of your body except your hands or arms using basketball strategy to move the ball around on a larger than football field for a constant 40 minute half times two in high school.  That should give you an idea to start learning this sport, then build on that.

Conference of Death could be right for the West.

sssuperpantherfan2

I'm glad to see Alma making some waves in a soccer. They are a competitive school with good athletes. The West conference is really looking tough with Greenwood, Greenbrier, LRCA, SS, and Russellville competing for 4 slots to state. This week will be telling of some team strength. Greenwood and Russellville square off.  Greenbrier will battle SS and LRCA in the same week!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas