• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2A State Tournament @ Carlisle

Started by notcoachBrown, February 25, 2019, 12:33:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

notcoachBrown

Exciting week ahead of us, a lot of good games to be played! Survive and advance one game at a time!

Made

thabeast428

I wish bc I'm 2 1/2 hrs from there and be nice to atleast he updated with scores while working

notcoachBrown

Who's going to the final four? Who's hot and who's not?

birddawg1986

Quote from: thabeast428 on February 25, 2019, 06:53:50 pm
I wish bc I'm 2 1/2 hrs from there and be nice to atleast he updated with scores while working
If you have Twitter AAA scoreboard will update you at end of each quarter for all games.

Mr. Trill

Works well for me since I'm in LR, I'll be seeing Earle Friday and Saturday  8) 8) 8)

Sonofasonofasailor

Folks at Carlisle did a nice job when they hosted a few years (2011?) back.  Plus, it gives reason to eat at Advada's or Nicks.  Might need to grab some cholesterol meds but both places serve it up right.   

Gonna go with Melbourne girls but undecided on the boys' side.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on February 26, 2019, 06:31:51 am
Folks at Carlisle did a nice job when they hosted a few years (2011?) back.  Plus, it gives reason to eat at Advada's or Nicks.  Might need to grab some cholesterol meds but both places serve it up right.   

Gonna go with Melbourne girls but undecided on the boys' side.

Or take a 20 minute ride on over to Devalls Bluff for craigs!

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on February 26, 2019, 07:08:54 am
Or take a 20 minute ride on over to Devalls Bluff for craigs!

Murray's still serves up a good fish and hushpuppies plate but need to allow some time as they can be a little slow getting it out.

JustaFan

Is there any media covering the games?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on February 26, 2019, 08:27:57 am
Murray's still serves up a good fish and hushpuppies plate but need to allow some time as they can be a little slow getting it out.

yes and a good a steak, but like you said, kinda slow, better make sure you are through watching games when you go eat.

bleudog

MSHS FAn

501bball

hogtastics

Is the England vs Earle game being steamed anywhere?

Sonofasonofasailor

Didn't attend any games but what's the opinion on the tournament?  Location, facility, parking, concessions, etc. 

Bildo

Being from Carlisle, we hope that everyone was happy with all of what you've mentioned. Thanks to the AAA for selecting us to host and we hope to have the opportunity to to do this again in upcoming years. Any feedback is appreciated. We would like to improve, if possible.

RedWolf275

I thought Carlisle did an excellent job! Very nice gym with a nice big parking lot. Food was also very good and they kept the concession line moving.

bigworm

AR Ball Junkie

Carlisle did a nice job.  There isn't a bad seat in the house.....love the chair back seats on the home side.  Concessions were good.  My only constructive feedback would be to open the floor level exits after a game.  They had these blocked for entrance and exit which pushed everyone to the stairs which caused a bottleneck.  I can understand limiting access to this area, but after a game, it would have moved spectators at a much better pace. 

birddawg1986

RiverRat82

I thought Carlisle did a good job as host. Nice clean facility.  The location was easy accessible for majority of the schools, Parking is good , but needed just a little more spots, we had to park out on the street. Would have liked more space to move around in the gym area.  the space wasn't able to sufficiently handle the crowd.

I'm looking forward to Clarendon's new gymnasium next year. 

birddawg1986

Quote from: RiverRat82 on March 03, 2019, 01:11:54 pm
I thought Carlisle did a good job as host. Nice clean facility.  The location was easy accessible for majority of the schools, Parking is good , but needed just a little more spots, we had to park out on the street. Would have liked more space to move around in the gym area.  the space wasn't able to sufficiently handle the crowd.

Looks like the model I saw on the wall it is going to be pretty nice. Pretty alarming for the future of Clarendon boys basketball in the future as they did not field Jr. High boys team this past season. Kinda of rare for boys.

Sonofasonofasailor

Was your parking issue during day games when school was in session or for all games?

MomaLion

Quote from: AR Ball Junkie on March 03, 2019, 09:48:56 am
Carlisle did a nice job.  There isn't a bad seat in the house.....love the chair back seats on the home side.  Concessions were good.  My only constructive feedback would be to open the floor level exits after a game.  They had these blocked for entrance and exit which pushed everyone to the stairs which caused a bottleneck.  I can understand limiting access to this area, but after a game, it would have moved spectators at a much better pace.
Also,  that forced the elderly and handicapped to use the stairs when just going to the lower exit would've been much easier... but that was the only negative. Everything else was great and I attended nearly every game.

RiverRat82

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on March 03, 2019, 03:24:02 pm
Was your parking issue during day games when school was in session or for all games?

Yes the 2:30 game on Friday.  I was the first that had to park on the street but there was steady line of cars coming in and people were parking everywhere anywhere they could find a spot.  I figured Carlisle would have let out school early to help with parking. 
Saturday for the 1:30 game we parked in the last five spaces around the gym. at that point  people started parking on the street. 
to me that really wasn't a big issue. Maybe have the busses park out by the main hwy to free up more spaces for the fans. 

MomaLion

I think that on semifinals and finals nights most any gym will be packed. Overall the space was very nice.

MomaLion

Quote from: birddawg1986 on March 03, 2019, 02:11:26 pm
Looks like the model I saw on the wall it is going to be pretty nice. Pretty alarming for the future of Clarendon boys basketball in the future as they did not field Jr. High boys team this past season. Kinda of rare for boys.
We had a Jr boys team.

RiverRat82

Quote from: birddawg1986 on March 03, 2019, 02:11:26 pm

I wasn't aware Clarendon didn't  field a JR High team this year.  I don't get to many games during the regular season.  maybe moma Lion can shed some light.

If we have Brinkley merging with us in a couple of years I don't see it being an issue. Really hope we don't merge.  But if we do then we would be making a move to 3A with the combined school population. 

RedWolf275

Brinkley enrollment has really been in a downward spiral. I remember when they were 3A and it doesn't seem that long ago.

HorseFeathers

Both schools are over 450 in enrollment

RiverRat82

Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 03, 2019, 03:51:35 pm
Brinkley enrollment has really been in a downward spiral. I remember when they were 3A and it doesn't seem that long ago.

I was shocked when AAA moved Brinkley, Marvell, and Augusta down to 1A in BB.  Brinkley has the same issue as Clarendon.  I believe Des Arc is picking up a bus load of kids from Brinkley. and another bus from Brinkley goes to Marvel ACAD. 
Hazen sends a bus to Clarendon and picks up a load of kids  and another load from clarendon go to Stuttgart and Marvel acad.   When the state allowed freedom of choice...that has killed the school districts in east Arkansas.  Look at Marianna. now in 2A FB/BB.   

AR Ball Junkie

Quote from: RiverRat82 on March 03, 2019, 05:01:24 pm
I was shocked when AAA moved Brinkley, Marvell, and Augusta down to 1A in BB.  Brinkley has the same issue as Clarendon.  I believe Des Arc is picking up a bus load of kids from Brinkley. and another bus from Brinkley goes to Marvel ACAD. 
Hazen sends a bus to Clarendon and picks up a load of kids  and another load from clarendon go to Stuttgart and Marvel acad.   When the state allowed freedom of choice...that has killed the school districts in east Arkansas.  Look at Marianna. now in 2A FB/BB.   

Typically, the school districts are the largest employers in these towns.  You lose the school, you lose a bunch of jobs.  Look at all of the school districts in east Arkansas that are no longer around through merger or consolidation. 

MomaLion

Quote from: RiverRat82 on March 03, 2019, 03:42:08 pm
I wasn't aware Clarendon didn't  field a JR High team this year.  I don't get to many games during the regular season.  maybe moma Lion can shed some light.

If we have Brinkley merging with us in a couple of years I don't see it being an issue. Really hope we don't merge.  But if we do then we would be making a move to 3A with the combined school population.
We definitely had a Jr team this year....and since we are still one of the smaller schools in 2A, even with Brinkley added...IF it happens, I think we'd still be a large 2A....i've heard people say that they'd pull their kids if we merge so who knows.

Ctucker

Quote from: MomaLion on March 04, 2019, 02:37:47 am
We definitely had a Jr team this year....and since we are still one of the smaller schools in 2A, even with Brinkley added...IF it happens, I think we'd still be a large 2A....i've heard people say that they'd pull their kids if we merge so who knows.
somebody said y'all both have over 450 so y'all would differently move up to atleast 3a! We are pretty good size 2a and we have right at 700 and I think pangburn is the biggest or one of the biggest 2a schools and they are still less than 800

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Ctucker on March 04, 2019, 08:38:56 am
somebody said y'all both have over 450 so y'all would differently move up to atleast 3a! We are pretty good size 2a and we have right at 700 and I think pangburn is the biggest or one of the biggest 2a schools and they are still less than 800

Total enrollment doesn't decide class....But combined 9-11 enrollment for Brinkley/Clarendon is 186 this year

Ctucker

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 04, 2019, 01:10:50 pm
Total enrollment doesn't decide class....But combined 9-11 enrollment for Brinkley/Clarendon is 186 this year
So they would be right at top of 2a or bottom of 3a give or take a couple of kids!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Ctucker on March 04, 2019, 01:21:41 pm
So they would be right at top of 2a or bottom of 3a give or take a couple of kids!

Depends on how the average falls but yeah, kinda depressing to see the Delta and southern Arkansas schools dying out this way

Ctucker

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 04, 2019, 04:02:32 pm
Depends on how the average falls but yeah, kinda depressing to see the Delta and southern Arkansas schools dying out this way
Yes it is! I hate to see any of the small schools go it just kills the communities!

RiverRat82

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 04, 2019, 01:10:50 pm

Enrollment that AAA uses to determine classifications  Brinkley/Clarendon is 240 .This would make us mid 3A just above Bismark. 

Brinkley is 114 and Clarendon is 126.  Clarendon is the smallest school in the district.  Town population has dropped from2,750 in the 80's to 1,650 now. 

MomaLion

As I mentioned earlier, i've heard people say that they'd pull their kids from the school if we merge with Brinkley so if the merger happens, I still believe that we'd be at the top end of 2A.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RiverRat82 on March 05, 2019, 09:10:22 pm
Enrollment that AAA uses to determine classifications  Brinkley/Clarendon is 240 .This would make us mid 3A just above Bismark. 

Brinkley is 114 and Clarendon is 126.  Clarendon is the smallest school in the district.  Town population has dropped from2,750 in the 80's to 1,650 now. 

My numbers came from the ADE, just shows how much the two schools are declining...

Brinkley currently has 83 kids 9-11
Clarendon currently has 93 kids 9-11

Which is 176, guess I made an error adding them earlier...

birddawg1986

March 06, 2019, 08:47:31 am #42 Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:11:41 am by birddawg1986
It doesn't matter how many students you have in your district. The 350 rule does not apply anymore. If you are financially in good shape and spend your monies appropriate (Earle)  and abide by the ADE standards/testing then you are in good shape. I imagine 95% of 2A schools are in declining enrollment. The issue for most will be facilities!!! When the ADE building folks visit every 3 years are these districts going to pass the building inspections? This is where the issues will be for most. If ADE building folks condemn a building which normally is 40-50 year life then you have to build something new without ADE help (Building Fund monies if you have or New Millage). I think most schools will be fine. I do see many 2A schools opting for 8 man football or dissolving their programs (numbers/high insurance premiums)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas