• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lost for words on this story

Started by 1wildcat, December 15, 2018, 10:15:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1wildcat

This just blows me away, it has got to be about the craziest story concerning high school football I have ever heard. How can it even be legal for a high school principal to require a coach sign a contract concerning point spreads? Hope this doesn't ever happen in Arkansas.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_06f5d434-ff52-11e8-a694-9b6fee94ee97.html

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

I can only imagine his next interview:

"And why did you and Ascension Catholic part ways?"

"I won by too many points. . ."

I'd take him for my school in a heartbeat, seems like a good man and good coach.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

She wanted him to sign a contract that he would keep games within 14 points?  I have a sneaky suspicion that she won't have her job much longer.

1wildcat

In Arkansas it seems as though most coaches (in blow out games) will start playing everybody on the roster and/or  back off any aggressive play calling after half time or about the time the mercy rule kicks in.

Just curious, Is this a decision that is entirely up to the coach or do we have high school principals that lay out guidelines concerning point spreads that coaches are expected to follow?

I've always assumed it was just an unwritten sportsmanship rule or gentleman's agreement among our coaches state wide.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: 1wildcat on December 16, 2018, 03:08:40 pm
In Arkansas it seems as though most coaches (in blow out games) will start playing everybody on the roster and/or  back off any aggressive play calling after half time or about the time the mercy rule kicks in.

Just curious, Is this a decision that is entirely up to the coach or do we have high school principals that lay out guidelines concerning point spreads that coaches are expected to follow?

I've always assumed it was just an unwritten sportsmanship rule or gentleman's agreement among our coaches state wide.
IMO, there is a day coming that when a team gets up by 35 points, the game will end.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 16, 2018, 03:57:18 pm
IMO, there is a day coming that when a team gets up by 35 points, the game will end.

The harvest of the everyone gets a trophy mentality

game on

Administrators always know what's best?   

VHSCoach2

Probably a good thing.

hogfan10

I think the mercy rule is bad for the game. It limits time to develop younger players in game situations, and I think it actually creates more blowouts; as coaches have an incentive to pile it on to get to the running clock.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 16, 2018, 09:36:15 pm
The harvest of the everyone gets a trophy mentality
Of course I also think that in 20 years the game will more resemble 7on7 than it does the game of today. The concussion thing will kill football as we know it.

beach bum

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 17, 2018, 03:19:45 pm
I think the mercy rule is bad for the game. It limits time to develop younger players in game situations, and I think it actually creates more blowouts; as coaches have an incentive to pile it on to get to the running clock.

I am glad we have it.... I could not possibly think to watch a 4 hour high school game which would happen on occasion without the running clock.

game on

Was the running clock mercy rule intended to hold the score down in blow out games?  I don't know how much that has happened since there are lots of blowout scores.  I agree that many coaches work hard to hit the mercy rule by halftime which might be elevating the scores early in the game.  BTW I'm not a believer in holding the score down because it looks like you are trying to be a sportsman.  Let your offense play, use all your players if you have a large lead and let them do what you work on in practice.  If you want to balance the scores and make it more competitive then restructure the classifications and conferences so that very successful teams move up and the teams that don't have much success can move down in class or play in conferences that fit their talent level.  That's mercy!
Point being, I don't think the mercy rule does much to hold scores down.  It may end the misery quicker and that's about it.

hogfan10

Quote from: game on on December 18, 2018, 08:51:29 am
Was the running clock mercy rule intended to hold the score down in blow out games?  I don't know how much that has happened since there are lots of blowout scores.  I agree that many coaches work hard to hit the mercy rule by halftime which might be elevating the scores early in the game.  BTW I'm not a believer in holding the score down because it looks like you are trying to be a sportsman.  Let your offense play, use all your players if you have a large lead and let them do what you work on in practice.  If you want to balance the scores and make it more competitive then restructure the classifications and conferences so that very successful teams move up and the teams that don't have much success can move down in class or play in conferences that fit their talent level.  That's mercy!
Point being, I don't think the mercy rule does much to hold scores down.  It may end the misery quicker and that's about it.

I think it does drive scores up in trying to hit that 35 pt differential. I've seen teams fake punts, go for two, etc. in trying to hit that 35 pt differential b/4 halftime. Subs usually don't get in games until the "running clock" is initiated, which means they end up getting a few plays, maybe a series if lucky. There isn't much that's merciful about the rule.

Eddie Goodson

If that clock is run properly and according to rule, it absolutely lowers the score iof the game. It is also encumbent on the team ahead to "take their foot off the gas." There is no reason for a team up 40 points in HUNH. And don't lay that, "the subs deserve to get to play proper snaps as well." line on me. It doesn't matter if the team down continues to fight to score. You have already proved your 1s are 35 points better than their 1s. If their 1s want to try and score on your 2s, let them try.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Below are reasons why coaches want to get to the mercy rule by halftime.  Get the clock rolling, get your starters out, and let your subs get some Friday night reps. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/biggest-comeback-nfl-history-buffalo-bills-houston-oilers

hogfan10

December 18, 2018, 04:07:28 pm #15 Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:13:54 pm by hogfan10
Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on December 18, 2018, 03:26:55 pm
Below are reasons why coaches want to get to the mercy rule by halftime.  Get the clock rolling, get your starters out, and let your subs get some Friday night reps. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/biggest-comeback-nfl-history-buffalo-bills-houston-oilers

I think it's up to each coach to decide what is a comfortable lead, resulting in 2nd, 3rd, etc string players getting minutes. It could be 28-7 mid 3rd qtr, or maybe 42-7 at same point of game. If the clock is running your subs get very little game time; if it's a regular clock they can get several plays of game action. Point is coaches don't typically play reserves until the mercy rule takes effect, which takes pt away from reserves. And, a lot of schools don't have JV schedules (which is stupid).

game on

Those examples, links to games,  seem to me to be an argument against the mercy rule.  It pretty much denies the remarkable comeback opportunity.  As far as the argument for "let the bench play" it was meant to let the team with the lead let their bench play.  I don't care if the losing team keeps the starters in or not.  I'm not talking about that team, if they want to let the #1's play all game and try to score against #2 or #3's fine, they just deny their kids playing time.  That's their coaches decision.  I don't have a problem with the winning team not letting up on the losing team, it happens all the time and has for years.  If the winners have pulled their starters and are playing #2 and #3 or 4"s that's all I really expect.  Those #2,3,4 kids practice all week and hope they win so they get a chance to play.  If they get in they'd like to run the offense and defense they practice, why shouldn't they?  Looking through the scores of this past season with mercy rule there are still plenty of blowout scores.  You get your subs in in the 3 or 4th quarter and very often they do not score more than once or twice even if they are pretty good. 

beach bum

December 19, 2018, 05:09:33 pm #17 Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:11:54 pm by beach bum
Most coaches I know will yank the offense before the defense when they have mercy ruled another opponent. Most of them pull their offensive starters once the margin of the lead gets to either 35 or 42..... But they will keep the defense out for a while after. That always makes sense to me too. That way your 2nd and 3rd unit offense shouldn't put too much up on the board, but on defense you still don't allow the inferior team to score much if at all on you.....That usually stops you from ever beating a team by 60. I am sorry, but if you beat somebody by 60 or more then you were probably trying to do that at least 90% of the time that occurs. I roll my eyes every time I see a team win by more than 60. Luckily, I feel like I only see that once or twice a year it seems.

Jesusfreak

Does anyone have a link to or any video of that legendary playoff game several years ago when Nashville had a 35-0 lead over Shiloh Christian and Shiloh came back and won?

Also, I have a question. Does the mercy rule automatically kick in after halftime when a team has a 35+ point lead, or can a coach from the team that is down insist on a regulation clock and refuse the mercy rule in an attempt to comeback? Would.the coach from both teams have to agree on a regulation clock? Or is the mercy rule mandatory?

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Jesusfreak on December 21, 2018, 03:53:16 pm
Does anyone have a link to or any video of that legendary playoff game several years ago when Nashville had a 35-0 lead over Shiloh Christian and Shiloh came back and won?

Also, I have a question. Does the mercy rule automatically kick in after halftime when a team has a 35+ point lead, or can a coach from the team that is down insist on a regulation clock and refuse the mercy rule in an attempt to comeback? Would.the coach from both teams have to agree on a regulation clock? Or is the mercy rule mandatory?
It is automatic and no team in Arkansas has ever come from behind and won the game once the mercy rule clock has begun. If someone came from 35 behind, it was 35 points at some point in the first half and the team behind scored before halftime to close the gap.

Jesusfreak

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 21, 2018, 06:18:50 pm
It is automatic and no team in Arkansas has ever come from behind and won the game once the mercy rule clock has begun. If someone came from 35 behind, it was 35 points at some point in the first half and the team behind scored before halftime to close the gap.

Thanks for the answer. I know Shiloh scored before halftime in that game, but it wasn't :D :'( out of the realm of possibility that they could have been down 35-0 at half and   still came back. May not have won in regulation but could have tied it and sent it to overtime.

Still, I bet they wished they could have had a mercy rule available when Trinity steamrolled them that time when they got 80+ points put on them! Shiloh][/sub]h used to crush outmanned teams on a regular basis back in the day, but yes the same thing that can make you laugh can make you cry!"

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas