• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Location of Class A State Tournament

Started by ballmember, December 12, 2018, 07:38:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ballmember

Does anyone know what schools might be bidding to have state tournament at their school?   NACC at Harrison would be a great location.  So would Greers Ferry Westside. 

Flobbito

I wouldn't mind seeing it go back to Morrilton. West side is nice, but there would be a lot of folks standing if it is held there.  Morrlton has the same style gym only larger. Conway HS gym would be another good spot.

Weiser

Quote from: Flobbito on December 12, 2018, 08:03:48 am
I wouldn't mind seeing it go back to Morrilton. West side is nice, but there would be a lot of folks standing if it is held there.  Morrlton has the same style gym only larger. Conway HS gym would be another good spot.

I loved the Morrilton facility last year. It was very evident that a ture effort was put forth to make all feel welcome.  Hope it is back there this year!!!

HorseFeathers

Doubt it'll be at Morrilton(not that I complained as I was able to make every day of the tournament)....But I think the days of 1a schools hosting on their own campus are numbered

thebigman3

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 12, 2018, 09:07:16 am
Doubt it'll be at Morrilton(not that I complained as I was able to make every day of the tournament)....But I think the days of 1a schools hosting on their own campus are numbered
Why wouldn't it be Morrilton?

Flobbito

Quote from: thebigman3 on December 12, 2018, 09:13:57 am

Too many people would complain about local teams  (Wonderview and Sacred Heart).having an unfair advantage two years consecutively. There is some legitimacy to it. I think that WV set a good precedent last year just about every 1A gym is inadequate to hold the number of people that show up for star tournaments. So having it at a location like Morrilton, NACC, or another large venue is something I hope continues in the future.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Flobbito on December 12, 2018, 09:19:02 am
Too many people would complain about local teams  (Wonderview and Sacred Heart).having an unfair advantage two years consecutively. There is some legitimacy to it. I think that WV set a good precedent last year just about every 1A gym is inadequate to hold the number of people that show up for star tournaments. So having it at a location like Morrilton, NACC, or another large venue is something I hope continues in the future.

I wouldn't call NACC a large venue....at least it doesn't feel that big, it was standing room only for Deer/Omaha boys...and Norfork/Jasper girls in the NorthArk Finals last year...

riccoar

I walked in and sat down and watched Wonderview vs. Nemo Vista 2 years ago at WSGF and there were plenty of seats to be found.  I realize most 1A schools don't have arenas that large.  Not sure the full capacity of Brady-Hipp, but Quitman might be a hosting option with a seating capacity of 1,500.

ballmember

The problem using someone else venue is a Class A school has to sponsor and do the work and larger school has to agree to let them use their facility----takes a lot of cooperation between school districts.   

BossBaby

Quote from: thebigman3 on December 12, 2018, 09:13:57 am

Morrilton will be bidding to host state tournament for their own classification this year. From what I understand, them agreeing to host for Wonderview last year was a one time, trial run type situation.

BannerChaser95

I say we do it in Bradley again, everyone loved being an hour and 45 minutes from the closest hotel right? 😂😂

SackAttack

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on December 12, 2018, 11:42:50 am
I say we do it in Bradley again, everyone loved being an hour and 45 minutes from the closest hotel right? 😂😂
If only Kirby would build a gym then all would be good in the universe!! Plus it draw more recru I mean move ins that someone else put time and energy into!! ;D

biglion1985

Why not have it in northeast Arkansas just wondering BTW

HorseFeathers

Quote from: biglion1985 on December 12, 2018, 05:49:20 pm
Why not have it in northeast Arkansas just wondering BTW

ICC was to far northeast for me 😂

thebigman3

riccoar

Quote from: thebigman3 on December 13, 2018, 11:30:20 am
Alma? or Lake Hamilton?
Alma too far.  Lake Hamilton too close to State Finals location.

riccoar

here is the application to apply to the Arkansas Activities Association to host Regional and State:

https://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Basketball/InvHost_Basketball.pdf

Bids must meet the following seating requirements to even be considered:

NOTE: Seating capacity is based on a minimum width of 18 inches.

REGIONAL

Class 1A - Seating capacity for 800.
Class 2A - Seating capacity for 1000.
Class 3A - Seating capacity for 1200.
Class 4A – Seating capacity for 1400.

STATE

Class 1A - Seating capacity for 1200.
Class 2A - Seating capacity for 1500.
Class 3A - Seating capacity for 1500.
Class 4A - Seating capacity for 1800.
Class 5A - Seating capacity for 2000.
Class 6A & 7A – Seating capacity for 2200.

ballmember

Class A schools that have hosted-must have 1200 capacity? Westside Greers Ferry; Hillcrest. ICC, Calico Rock, Bradley-any others in recent history?   Enjoyed State Tournament atmosphere at Calico Rock most of all.  next Hillcrest, ICC, Westside and Bradley last.   

Informant

When was the last time 1A was in NEA or NWA.  Just speaking from Jonesboro area, several larger venues around there with plenty of practice space, hotels and food.  Trumann, Brookland, Valley View, GCT all have fantastic venues for state tournament.  Also, even Rector, who is 1A, has a great facility and they are close enough to Paragould/Jonesboro for it to be easily accessible.

I'm not as familiar with NWA but obviously they also have several larger arena type places. 

Bergman1820

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 12, 2018, 10:51:15 am
I wouldn't call NACC a large venue....at least it doesn't feel that big, it was standing room only for Deer/Omaha boys...and Norfork/Jasper girls in the NorthArk Finals last year...

Pioneer Pavilion can seat 2000+

biglion1985

ballmember

Bic not a class a school.  What class a school would host?

biglion1985

The one that held it last year what class was they lol

FoxandHound34

Flobbito

Quote from: biglion1985 on December 14, 2018, 10:42:48 pm
The one that held it last year what class was they lol
[/quote)

Class 1a Wonderview hosted using class 4a Morrilton's gym.

ballmember

Forgot mt ida.  They would rate above Bradley.  Had a lot of rules. Couldn't even go to your vehicle if u forgot something . Unless u wanted to pay again.  Shoulda had some folks from the chamber or somewhere keeping the door.  Them old boys were taskmasters. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ballmember on December 15, 2018, 05:02:47 am
Forgot mt ida.  They would rate above Bradley.  Had a lot of rules. Couldn't even go to your vehicle if u forgot something . Unless u wanted to pay again.  Shoulda had some folks from the chamber or somewhere keeping the door.  Them old boys were taskmasters. 

Think that's how it's supposed to be done by AAA...I do agree it's dumb

ballmember

Common sense are to be used with those rules.  Most places do the rules with common sense applied. The further u go up in any hierarchy less common sense applied.  Government best example

biglion1985

Ask BIC to use their gym even though they aren't 1a

ballmember

biglion   what  school in northeast Arkansas wants to host a state tournament??? a lot of work unless u think have a chance to win. up to them to ask someone.   icc about as far northeast a team that might contend??

biglion1985

Hey I am just saying I don't have a dog in the fight except in the 3a I just like to watch basketball but good luck to whoever gets it

Informant

Several 1A schools use larger schools to host.  Doesn't necessarily have to be a contender.  Mount Ida wasn't a contender.  ICC wasn't a contender in '16. I mean obviously you'd want to host if you had a shot at it but there are other upsides.  I know AAA takes most of the gate if not all and they take T-shirt money but a school could make a ton off concessions, raffles and other things. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if ICC were to use Melbourne facilities to host. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Informant on December 17, 2018, 10:25:24 am
Several 1A schools use larger schools to host.  Doesn't necessarily have to be a contender.  Mount Ida wasn't a contender.  ICC wasn't a contender in '16. I mean obviously you'd want to host if you had a shot at it but there are other upsides.  I know AAA takes most of the gate if not all and they take T-shirt money but a school could make a ton off concessions, raffles and other things. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if ICC were to use Melbourne facilities to host. 

Melbourne's gym would be okay.....It's more fan friendly than ICC's gym...  But isn't Melbourne Girls team a contender in 2a?

riccoar

Another find on that Regional and State "Invitation Host" application that stood out to me:

FINANCIAL:
(a) The AAA will receive ____ % (Minimum of 90% - Maximum of 95%) of the tournament gate receipts.

Informant

As I stated, AAA will take most of the gate.  This is why AAA requires a certain capacity and also why they'll vote for a arena type venue over an average gym every time.  Melbourne could be a contender so they may even try for 2A tournament.  ICC could host themselves as they did a few years ago.  However they could also use Mountain Home or Highland.  Highland has a nice facility also and I believe they've hosted 4A before. 

beach bum

The New School should host it at Fayetteville High

HorseFeathers

There would definitely be enough seating and hotels etc

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas