• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could Gravette potentially be not long for 4A (moving up)?

Started by OPoraquê, December 10, 2018, 07:16:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

They've finally, FINALLY gone and done it: Missouri's section of the Bella Vista Bypass is about to be built:

https://www.joplinglobe.com/opinion/columns/our-view-could-bypass-be-just-a-beginning/article_470914e1-6963-5f78-9a10-01a2be90554f.html

I think we can rest assured that Gravette (even if it wasn't the ancestral land of the Hutchinson family) is about to get a gorgeous, Texarkana-style Arkansas Welcome Center.  But I've also wondered whether there will be a LOT of building in the Gravette school district which could take it up a classification or two, or if the building will be in the Bentonville West area, or perhaps the Bentonville High district which will suddenly have the "quiet" part of Bella Vista on the eastern side (with a lot of currently undeveloped lots) that the Highlands used to have to the west.  Or will all three see increased enrollment?

Already hearing that Walmart has purchased land for a neighborhood market along one of the current Gravette exits on future I-49 at the old Gun Range Road(!).  That's a bit shocking to me, as that's pretty much surrounded by quiet rolling country to the west, and WM never seems to put NHMs where they aren't eventually surrounded by, er, neighborhoods.

I used to live in the Highlands and enjoyed it.  Anyone hearing about future developments out there given this turn of events?  Thanks in advance.

x14113

GLion Alum predicted that the BVP would eventually help Gravette grow into one of the state's largest.

As it stands? With widespread declines, even modest growth could be enough to push them up to 5A by around the mid-2020s.

OPoraquê

Quote from: x14113 on December 10, 2018, 08:23:24 pm
GLion Alum predicted that the BVP would eventually help Gravette grow into one of the state's largest.

As it stands? With widespread declines, even modest growth could be enough to push them up to 5A by around the mid-2020s.

If WM has indeed bought land there near the old Gun Range, GLion Alum's prediction may get a run for its money.  I, too, have thought that both Gravette and Greenwood (when the I-49 Arkansas River Bridge is built, which the Chaffee Crossing CEO is now convinced will happen sooner rather than later) will be the biggest school district beneficiaries of a completed I-49.  Greenwood could be a fascinating 7A addition, and is already seeing growth through the 4 mile segment of I-49 that's "marooned" in between that city and Barling.

The more of Arkansas I-49 gets built (as well as Texas I-69 which is creeping toward Texarkana) the harder it will be to make excuses not to build the River Bridge and Greenwood-Texarkana segment.

Hog Lefty

Quote from: OPoraquê on December 11, 2018, 11:06:34 am
If WM has indeed bought land there near the old Gun Range, GLion Alum's prediction may get a run for its money.  I, too, have thought that both Gravette and Greenwood (when the I-49 Arkansas River Bridge is built, which the Chaffee Crossing CEO is now convinced will happen sooner rather than later) will be the biggest school district beneficiaries of a completed I-49.  Greenwood could be a fascinating 7A addition, and is already seeing growth through the 4 mile segment of I-49 that's "marooned" in between that city and Barling.

The more of Arkansas I-49 gets built (as well as Texas I-69 which is creeping toward Texarkana) the harder it will be to make excuses not to build the River Bridge and Greenwood-Texarkana segment.

I see I-49 helping Gravette more than Greenwood.  I'm believe once the Bella Vista bypass is completed, that entire stretch of interstate will be developed.  Gravette is already pushing the school enrollment pretty close to 5A level if I'm not mistaken.  That would be difficult for a few years when that happens.   

prHOG13

Their school enrollment numbers might get them there, but their roster numbers are so depleted it would be awful. It's sad what has happened

SouthpawSensation

December 26, 2018, 07:33:17 am #5 Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:34:55 am by SouthpawSensation
Gravette was still about 30 students away from Class 5A when the latest reclassification numbers come out.
The next batch of numbers for the 2020-22 reclassification cycle will come out around mid-April, if I were guessing. Has Gravette grown that much in a 2-year span? Time will tell.
However, there is growing sentiment that the football conferences may be restructured to look like the other sports conferences when that cycle takes place. I have a feeling there will be a proposal drawn up soon, and that will be voted upon when the AAA meets with the governing body again in late July or early August.

friscokid

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on December 26, 2018, 07:33:17 am
Gravette was still about 30 students away from Class 5A when the latest reclassification numbers come out.
The next batch of numbers for the 2020-22 reclassification cycle will come out around mid-April, if I were guessing. Has Gravette grown that much in a 2-year span? Time will tell.
However, there is growing sentiment that the football conferences may be restructured to look like the other sports conferences when that cycle takes place. I have a feeling there will be a proposal drawn up soon, and that will be voted upon when the AAA meets with the governing body again in late July or early August.
Won't be enough time for it to take effect in 2020 — the AAA will have the next reclassification numbers out this spring and conference alignments not long after.

I suppose the governing body could change it in August and throw everything out, but that'll mean a ton of non-conference contracts would have to be torn up. Those are set earlier than a lot of people think.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas