• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Elite Programs

Started by Robot Chicken, November 18, 2018, 12:47:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

panther07

Quote from: blackandoldgold on November 20, 2018, 03:14:34 pm
JC more than likely would have another title if Marcus Godfrey had only played offense that night against Shiloh Christian.

Goodness gracious he was good

blackandoldgold

Glen Rose 35 Shiloh Christian 34 OT 2007 Class 3A

WHITEchicken

Blackandoldgold I agree about that. Shiloh had a great plan. Go routes with his man and he almost lasted the whole game doing that play after play. It is crazy

bleudog

Quote from: blackandoldgold on November 20, 2018, 03:14:34 pm
JC more than likely would have another title if Marcus Godfrey had only played offense that night against Shiloh Christian.

bleudog

Skip Baymore

November 20, 2018, 11:17:39 pm #55 Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:33:10 pm by Skip Baymore
Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 18, 2018, 01:05:13 pm
Harding Academy belongs on your list somewhere. Two championships and a runner-up in less than 10 years. Plus, some of the times they lost early in the playoffs it was to the ultimate champion (e.g., Charleston at least twice). Last year they lost on a late touchdown to the runner-up.

Yea.  HA second only to Charleston during last 15 years in wins and big wins.   And more state championships than almost all the teams on this list (including Chucktown).  Without HA on it, the list has zero credibility.  Bleudog's post says a lot (for all of these teams).

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Hgalum50 on November 20, 2018, 05:45:30 pm
Yes I believe it was in 09 or sumthin like that.
FF says it was 07. Runner-up to Harding Academy in 2012 and Charleston in 2013.

Hgalum50

Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 21, 2018, 11:25:21 am
It was 07. I knew they had at least 1 just couldn't remember the year. Heck I was pretty dang close.

Robot Chicken

They was added to the Elite list.

MR#1

In my opinion, it's difficult to identify programs as elite in one specific classification. I think the discussion should be broadened to include all classifications with specific criteria - e.g., number of conference championships, number of playoff wins, number of semi-final appearances, number of state championships, and consistency (over multiple 5- or 10-year periods). Again, my opinion. It does make for an interesting discussion --- nice topic.

blackandoldgold

November 22, 2018, 01:29:53 pm #60 Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:53:48 pm by blackandoldgold
Quote from: bleudog on November 20, 2018, 07:23:20 pm

I was at that incredible game back in 99. Waited through the power outage.

My buddy who had seen JC play earlier in the year vs. Rison said as JC opened the game with the ball. Watch Godfrey. He'll get the ball & run around the left end & go & score on I believe the second play of the game.

I of course called horse poop & said you can't possibly know that.

He was proved right as I stood open-mouthed & watched that kid. What an athlete. Head & shoulders above anybody playing on that field that night (and most nights I've seen in small town HS football I might add).

He just wasn't in good enough shape to go both ways the whole game. JC had beaten everyone that year so badly the kid only had to play basically half a game each week.

JC had such a lead at the end of the 1st quarter (something like 38-14 wasn't it), that Marcus could have played just offense. Even if JC & SC traded TD's from there on out JC wins.

Coach Malzahn of Shiloh made sure the man Marcus covered on defense ran the longest route to help wear Marcus out.

And in the end it worked as S Christian came back & basically won the state championship @ Junction City that night in a private vs public school shoot-out.

Part of the reason now why private schools are made to play up 1 classification in football competition in Arkansas HS football. SC would have been 3A then under current AAA rules.

WonderWartHawg

Looks like Shiloh and Gus didn't bother to upload their state championship game against Rison for some reason.

rooftops

Newport has not won a championship since 1991 (7-0 vs Lake Hamilton)  and have won only 2 including one ten years earlier in 1981 vs Alma. Newport also played in the championship game in 1972, 1988, 1989 and has had many final 4 appearepances. From the late 70s until the early 2000s  Newport competed in 2 classifications higher than what is now 3A. From 1979-2018 the Greyhounds earned a spot in the playoffs 38 out of the 40 years including 28 straight from 1987-2014 (a state record at the time). It is much easier to make the playoffs today compared to years ago when only the conference champs went. I am sure there are other schools that have competed with the level of consistency as the Hounds. I believe Charleston and Rivercrest have had similar success and there are probably others. Don't know if that qualifies as "Elite" but the Hounds certainly deserve a mention.

Lineman

2018 was 31 consecutive years in the playoffs for Charleston.

Gr3yhounds

Newport should be considered an "in between" in my opinion.

CatPride

Quote from: beach bum on November 20, 2018, 04:41:39 pm
Sheesh.... You people have watered down the term elite. That's for sure.
Maybe you can rename this to "Participation Programs". Maybe no one will get their feelings hurt this way!  ::)

1wildcat

Elite Programs win elite title's

Barton 8
Rison 8
McGehee 7
Harding Academy 6
Prescott 5
Charleston 5
Booneville 3

AlumniLights

Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 21, 2018, 11:25:21 am

07 GR was a special group. Curb-stomped everyone in the playoffs and pulled of a HUGE upset at WMS. Great game to watch!

CoolBreeze

Quote from: AlumniLights on November 28, 2018, 07:19:34 am
07 GR was a special group. Curb-stomped everyone in the playoffs and pulled of a HUGE upset at WMS. Great game to watch!
And they could easily have won in 2012. It was a seesaw contest all day long. HA just happened to have the lead when time ran out.

AlumniLights

Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 28, 2018, 11:29:10 am
And they could easily have won in 2012. It was a seesaw contest all day long. HA just happened to have the lead when time ran out.

It's a shame the oldest Kehner never played in the title game.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: AlumniLights on November 29, 2018, 03:34:53 am
It's a shame the oldest Kehner never played in the title game.

Did he have a good right hook as well?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas