• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 NFHS Football Rule Changes

Started by Rulesman, February 23, 2017, 11:56:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rulesman

Highlights of the changes are listed below. The complete press release can be found at www.nfhs.org.

New rules on blindside blocking are the most recent steps taken by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Football Rules Committee in minimizing the risks associated with the sport.

The establishment of a new definition of a blindside block in Rule 2-3-10 and the addition of Rule 9-4-3n prohibiting a blindside block were two of 11 rules changes recommended by the NFHS Football Rules Committee at its January 20-22 meeting in Indianapolis. All rules changes were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

The definition of a blindside block established by the committee is "a block against an opponent other than the runner, who does not see the blocker approaching," and now results in a 15-yard penalty.

The committee stated that the blindside block "involves contact by a blocker against an opponent who, because of physical positioning and focus of concentration, is vulnerable to injury. Unless initiated with open hands, it is a foul for excessive and unnecessary contact when the block is forceful and outside of the free-blocking zone."

Another significant risk-minimization change was elimination of a pop-up kick in new Rule 6-1-11. A new definition of a pop-up kick in Rule 2-24-10 is defined as "a free kick in which the kicker drives the ball immediately to the ground, the ball strikes the ground once and goes into the air in the manner of a ball kicked directly off the tee."

The committee implemented this change in an effort to reduce risk of injury due to the increased use of the pop-up kick on onside kickoffs. Such kicks will be penalized as a dead-ball free-kick infraction, as noted with new Rule 6-1-11 PENALTY.

The NFHS Football Rules Committee also expanded Rule 2-32-16 regarding a defenseless player by adding specific examples of a defenseless player. Those examples include, but are not limited to:

a)      A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;

b)      A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner;

c)      The intended receiver of a pass in the action during and immediately following an interception or potential interception;

d)      A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;

e)      A kickoff or punt returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier;

f)       A player on the ground including a ball carrier who has obviously given himself up and is sliding feet-first;

g)      A player obviously out of the play or not in the immediate vicinity of the runner; and

h)      A player who received a blindside block with forceful contact not initiated with open hands.

Changes to Rule 7-1-6 expand on the situations required for encroachment to occur after the ready-for-play and after the snapper has placed his hand(s) on the ball. The rule previously stated that encroachment occurred if "any other player breaks the plane of the neutral zone." In addition, now defensive players are restricted from contacting the ball prior to the end of the snap or making contact with the snapper's hand(s) or arm(s) until the snapper has released the ball.

The remaining changes approved by the NFHS Football Rules Committee touched on a new ball specification (1-3-1h), uniforms 1-5-1b(3), game officials 1-5-4, post-scrimmage kick fouls 2-16-2h, penalty time clock management 3-4-7, prosthetic limbs 4-2-2l , and forward-pass interference 7-5-10, in which the previous foul for non-contact face guarding was eliminated as forward-pass interference.

Regarding the uniform change in Rule 1-5-1b(3), effective with the 2021 season, "the jerseys of the home team shall be a dark color that clearly contrasts to white."

"The committee revised the rule to provide schools and manufacturers more clarification regarding the game's current trend of utilizing lighter gray shades," Colgate said. "The requirement for teams to wear contrasting colors to white is not a new rule, and it is the committee's expectation that this new clarification will allow changes to be made during normal replacement cycles."

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Rulesman - are you aware if there has ever been any talk of blowing dead all presnap penalties by the offense - illegal motion, illegal formation, etc.?  Seems like if we are moving everything towards being safer, those unnecessary plays would be eliminated.  I realize some of that would have to wait til the snap happens to be determined illegal, but it would still be better than having the play go on only to have everything brought back and mark off a 5-yard penalty.

Rulesman

I think you answered your own question. But no, I am not aware of anything moving (proposals presented to the Rules Committee) in that direction. Like you stated, there are actions that are not fouls until you have a snap. Making them DBFs opens up a whole new can of worms.

dragondad

I know at least one AR school that's probably not happy about the onside kick rule.

Coach T Wood

The "defenseless" person rule is going to be a real issue.   My main concern is the first definition under examples of defenseless persons.     I am assuming here that they mean any blindside (or back side) contact while the QB is throwing the ball?   So if a defensive player hits a QB in the process of throwing it and the QB couldn't see the hit coming, it is a penalty?  Odd and at the same time, I've got to tell all my defensive players now, "if the QB is throwing and you are coming up to hit him from the back.....stop.  Can't do it. It's a penalty."     Major judgment call on this and would have a large impact on the game. 

And....I'm only assuming here mind you....that Dragondad is referencing PA when it comes to the new onside kick rule. 

It does not affect us at all.  It only involves "pop-up" kicks that strike the ground immediately after being kicked and go high into the air after the first bounce.    We have not done a pop-up kick in the last 2  possibly 3 seasons. 

OB11

February 27, 2017, 11:00:05 am #5 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:09:07 am by OB11
Pop Up Kick

Not a pop up kick

Just to clarify...I think some people read pop up kick and think it's any onside kick that "pops" into the air at any point during the kick. The pop up kick being ruled agains here is the one in the first image.  A ball that pops up right after being kicked.

Rulesman

You are correct OB. For those who think otherwise, just read the definition... don't read INTO the definition.

A pop-up kick in Rule 2-24-10 is defined as "a free kick in which the kicker drives the ball immediately to the ground, the ball strikes the ground once and goes into the air in the manner of a ball kicked directly off the tee."

Lions84

I understood the rule to apply to only the Offense. So the Classic Crack back or Blindside blocking is now out.l

Rulesman

Quote from: Lions84 on March 01, 2017, 12:47:02 pm
I understood the rule to apply to only the Offense. So the Classic Crack back or Blindside blocking is now out.l
Read the blindside rule again.

Lions84

Quote from: Rulesman on March 01, 2017, 03:12:28 pm
Read the blindside rule again.

OK I will but I still might not understand it.

Rulesman

Quote from: Lions84 on March 02, 2017, 03:04:38 pm
OK I will but I still might not understand it.
Blindside block with contact initiated with open hands = legal.

OB11

Quote from: Rulesman on March 02, 2017, 03:54:04 pm
Blindside block with contact initiated with open hands = legal.

So basically you can go in and shove a player (with arms extended I'm assuming?) instead of lowering your shoulder on them?

Rulesman

March 03, 2017, 10:12:21 am #12 Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 10:14:03 am by Rulesman
Quote from: OB11 on March 03, 2017, 09:51:43 am
So basically you can go in and shove a player (with arms extended I'm assuming?) instead of lowering your shoulder on them?
Specific case plays have not yet been released but that's my understanding, per the press release:

...the blindside block "involves contact by a blocker against an opponent who, because of physical positioning and focus of concentration, is vulnerable to injury. Unless initiated with open hands, it is a foul for excessive and unnecessary contact when the block is forceful and outside of the free-blocking zone."

duecek

Basically destroying the game of football. When I played as receiver if you ran a slant in front of linebackers dropping there was a good chance you would get leveled by one before the ball was even thrown. As a defensive back one the ball hits the recievers hands we could hit them. Now are you supposed to just let them catch it???

duecek

A runner who is already in the grasp of a tackler and forward progress has been stopped. Now does this mean after the whistle has been blown? If it hasn't how can you penalize a player for making sure the tackle is finished? A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass. So no sacking of the qb? I understand player safety and all that but at the same time it's hurting the game. Say a defensive lineman makes an outstanding play to get through the line on 3rd down and sacks the qb "too hard" flag gets thrown and the offensive is given a first down while the defense should really be the ones benefiting from their great play.

Rulesman

For starters, the whistle doesn't kill a play, unless it's inadvertent. Players know this. As for the rest of your argument, it's no more than whining. Get out of the 60s and adjust to today's game. It's changed. Get over it.

duecek

I played in the early 2000. And all these rules having already been implemented in the nfl are ruining the game. Guess it's okay if you like Flag football. Throw a flag just because a hit looks bad. Ridiculous. What do you think of the hurdling rule? A natural instinct of a runner in space when a defender dives at his ankles. He should get penalized for naturally trying to avoid getting hit in the knees or ankles. All I'm sayin is it I'd rather not see the rules messed with so much. It's takes away from what people love about the game. It's a contact sport. If you don't wanna get hit don't play.

arreferee

Quote from: duecek on September 07, 2017, 05:44:07 pm
What do you think of the hurdling rule? A natural instinct of a runner in space when a defender dives at his ankles. He should get penalized for naturally trying to avoid getting hit in the knees or ankles.

Based on the above, I think you need to read the rules and actually understand them.  There is nothing illegal about what you described above. 

duecek

football_referee

you are right but read the definition of Hurdling 

duecek

I have. It is illegal if no other part of the body other than one or both feet is on the ground. Meaning if the defender has one or two feet on the ground it is illegal to hurdle them correct?

Rulesman

Hurdling applies to the runner only and the same rule has been in place for years. In the play you describe (diving at the runner's ankles), the chance of the defender meeting the requirement is far less than not. There has been no special emphasis placed on the rule for tighter enforcement.

You want to talk about something useful, try targeting. If hits that "light up" opponents aren't taken out of the game, there ultimately will be no game to play.

duecek

I completely agree with you on targeting

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas