• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2A basketball referee problems

Started by Hornet4ever, January 29, 2016, 01:00:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ab24

I have been to some games at certain schools where the refs kid is in the stands wearing a t shirt of the home team. That's fair, right???

And when you see officials that have reffed at that school sitting in the stands as spectators, you know they are bias when they are reffing for them.

What about when a ref at a game is a graduate from the home school?

There is a lot of unfairness with the officials, but I doubt it will change

sevenof400

Quote from: Cheek on January 30, 2016, 11:18:41 pm
I hate to complain about officials, because it will not do any good.  My biggest complaint is when officials steal calls.  If an official is standing under the basket three feet from a play under the basket, why would an official at half court make a call.  Makes no sense.

Because the referee under the basket should be focusing on the body to body play, not what happens above the shoulders.  It is proper for either the slot or trail referee to call fouls on plays near the basket when the foul occurs at or above the shoulders on a player shooting near the basket.

That's what three man mechanics is supposed to look like anyway....

3 Dollar

Referee Complaints:

Stop complaining!  Put on the stripes and try to do the job to perfection.  Try to become the best official you can be!  Then sit down and read crappy posts like this and get discouraged or ignore and continue to improve!

TRY IT!  You might just like it!

I know you'll quit complaining!

sevenof400

Quote from: ab24 on January 31, 2016, 07:11:53 am
I have been to some games at certain schools where the refs kid is in the stands wearing a t shirt of the home team. That's fair, right???

And when you see officials that have reffed at that school sitting in the stands as spectators, you know they are bias when they are reffing for them.

You know this how? 

Though it may not happen often, some referees will watch a game as a spectator.  In some cases, it may be to watch the officials (observing and learning), in some cases it may be because that referee has an upcoming game with one (or both) of the teams - teams the referee may never have had before.

It could also be that the referee might just be a fan of the game.   

All things considered, a referee watching a basketball game as a spectator is more often a positive than a negative.

sevenof400

Quote from: Hornet4ever on January 30, 2016, 08:20:25 pm
Quote from: bigworm on January 30, 2016, 08:00:50 pm
I'm watching Kansas/Kentucky. These refs may be worse than our raged 2A refs. I guess they just all suck.

I think the issue in today's world is the lack of training. I really don't think there is enough when it comes to reffing. My cousin told me that to ref it's not a big trial process and not much class room time. You can see it on the court as well....

The process (in brief)

• Pay your registration money to AAA
  • Purchase referee gear
  • Receive publication mailing, read (optional) the rule book and case manual
  • Pass the 100 question test.  IIRC, first year official can pass with 80% correct
  • Find games

There is NO required class time.

Fan9876

3 dollar. If you are a good ref, there is no need to get so upset.  As I previously said,   Being a ref is a very difficult job.   There will always be someone dissatisfied.   However, those that r blantant about targeting certain teams or certain players (they are out there) have no excuse.   There is no excuse.   Complete and utter lack of supervision has no excuse. If you are a good ref, keep doing what you are doing.   If it hit home a little too close and got you feeling defensive,  do better.

ab24

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 31, 2016, 07:52:09 am

You know this how? 

Though it may not happen often, some referees will watch a game as a spectator.  In some cases, it may be to watch the officials (observing and learning), in some cases it may be because that referee has an upcoming game with one (or both) of the teams - teams the referee may never have had before.

It could also be that the referee might just be a fan of the game.   

All things considered, a referee watching a basketball game as a spectator is more often a positive than a negative.

I guess I should have been more specific. I have been to games and seen ref A reffing at the game. The next time I go there he is sitting in the stands with a cap on of that school.

sevenof400

Quote from: ab24 on January 31, 2016, 01:13:45 pm
I guess I should have been more specific. I have been to games and seen ref A reffing at the game. The next time I go there he is sitting in the stands with a cap on of that school.

Now, I'll agree - that is a problem. 

There is a code of ethics for referees that includes the idea a referee should not officiate any game in which they have a personal connection.  It isn't ideal when a referee has to work a game in his/her own town but it does happen due to shortages. 

This should never happen in varsity games but it is more common at the younger grades (7th/8th/9th for example). 

ab24

I agree that in the seventh grade and junior high games local referees are acceptable.   But I have seen it at two schools in particular in senior high games.  Makes it very difficult to come out with a win when  the officials are clearly biased

Fan9876

It happens ALL the time.    They shouldn't be able to ref in their conference.  even if the are not Reffing for their particular school,  they are aware that that their calls could impact results that improve their schools standing or placement in tournaments.

3 Dollar

January 31, 2016, 02:25:01 pm #60 Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 02:37:49 pm by 3 Dollar
Quote from: Fan9876 on January 31, 2016, 08:52:41 am
3 dollar. If you are a good ref, there is no need to get so upset.  As I previously said,   Being a ref is a very difficult job.   There will always be someone dissatisfied.   However, those that r blantant about targeting certain teams or certain players (they are out there) have no excuse.   There is no excuse.   Complete and utter lack of supervision has no excuse. If you are a good ref, keep doing what you are doing.   If it hit home a little too close and got you feeling defensive,  do better.

Not defensive at all.  Just tired of reading all the complaining.  Stop complaining and do it yourself.

Did my time (20+ years).  Enjoyed it.  Still enjoy watching good high school basketball games even though my kids are all gradumetated.

Yes, you are right!  I hate to admit it, but there are some officials out there who hold grudges toward either a school or a particular coach.  I saw it whenever I called and still see it today.  Is it right?  Not in my book!  I was one of those who, if the coach didn't want me on the floor with his team, I didn't want to be on the floor with his team.  If for some reason a coach thought I was out to cheat (I cringe when that word is used) him, I didn't want any part of that.  I would by no purposeful way in my heart, mind, or soul cheat (there's that word again) any kid trying to play the game of basketball.

The game is not about me, the coach, the fan, or the administration for that matter.  It is solely about the kids learning to get along with one another even in a competitive atmosphere!

There's an old saying and I'll probably get it wrong, but it goes along this line:

Fans (spectators) come to Coach!
Coaches come to officiate!
And, officials come to spectate!
The players are the only ones doing what they came to do....PLAY!

mtindian42

Fan9876

Some may be a little short sighted and think they are just impacting a game. It is a game. However, when that ref consistently impacts a particular teams outcome and limits particular players playing time by intentionally calling crap fouls on them,  they can impact that players potential at scholarships.   That can impact their ability to attend college or how many loans they are required to take to be able to attend college.  It teaches children that they can't trust authority.  It can cause a game to get out of hand on the court and in the stands when they know they can't depend on those in authority maintain control.   It is just a game, but there are kids that it isn't just a game for.   No one is perfect.  No one will ever agree with every call.  Every one is allowed to have a bad day and a bad game.   All anyone can ask is that they do the best they can and it will even out in the end.   

Hornet4ever

January 31, 2016, 04:30:52 pm #63 Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:33:47 pm by Hornet4ever
Quote from: 3 Dollar on January 31, 2016, 07:45:39 am
Referee Complaints:

Stop complaining!  Put on the stripes and try to do the job to perfection.  Try to become the best official you can be!  Then sit down and read crappy posts like this and get discouraged or ignore and continue to improve!

Maybe you could teach the refs a few things today since they require no class time.

Ole Man River

I've been reading this thread and it makes me laugh.  I've been a referee for around 15 years.  When you call 4A, 5A, 6A, and 7A the teams use assignors.  3A and below will call officials they want.  If I have an open night you wont see me in the stands.  My crew works 4 nights a week and that tells me that we must do a pretty good job.  Some fans like us, some hate us.  We call the game pretty tight and yes the fouls will pile up.  But you can believe that they are not made up or out to get someone.  When I fans yells call it both way, guess what, there is never a foul, walk, double dribble the same.  My favorite is on one end, let them play, go to the other end, same fan, call the foul. 

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Ole Man River on January 31, 2016, 07:51:29 pm
I've been reading this thread and it makes me laugh.  I've been a referee for around 15 years.  When you call 4A, 5A, 6A, and 7A the teams use assignors.  3A and below will call officials they want.  If I have an open night you wont see me in the stands.  My crew works 4 nights a week and that tells me that we must do a pretty good job.  Some fans like us, some hate us.  We call the game pretty tight and yes the fouls will pile up.  But you can believe that they are not made up or out to get someone.  When I fans yells call it both way, guess what, there is never a foul, walk, double dribble the same.  My favorite is on one end, let them play, go to the other end, same fan, call the foul.

Hats off to you and the other refs, it's not a job I would like to do, most refs just call what they see, and do a good job. And some nights they just have an off night like a player would have.
It's a tough job. Close games and on game deciding calls with less than 10 sec in a game must be the toughest ones to make.

RedWolf275

Pretty sure 2A-3 has a official assignor.

mtindian42

Lol refs never win... If a ref called a foul every time a fan wanted him to. The game would go all night. cause both teams would be on the line all night...

Lol I have seen it with our fans...

MT has the ball kid obviously walks. Fans he didn't walk!

Other team has the ball. Kid obviously walks the whole gym from our side yells walked... Lol!

It's like that everywhere no such thing as a honest fan! From pastors to doctors to factory workers on game night they see things one way... (There's)

Hornet4ever

Does anyone know of a crew that is assigned to a school that does their games often?

sevenof400

Quote from: mtindian42 on January 31, 2016, 02:31:47 pm
+1 3dollar

Wait a minute, who hacked this account? 

Something is missing here.....

sevenof400

Quote from: RedWolf275 on January 31, 2016, 08:35:17 pm
Pretty sure 2A-3 has a official assignor.

Some lower classification conferences may indeed have assignors, but it is not the norm. 

MikelB

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 31, 2016, 01:32:03 pm
Quote from: ab24 on January 31, 2016, 01:13:45 pm

Now, I'll agree - that is a problem. 

There is a code of ethics for referees that includes the idea a referee should not officiate any game in which they have a personal connection.  It isn't ideal when a referee has to work a game in his/her own town but it does happen due to shortages. 

This should never happen in varsity games but it is more common at the younger grades (7th/8th/9th for example).

What about a referee standing with a player during warm-ups chatting it up then takes something from his pocket and hands it to her and she sticks it down in her jersey? (I saw that with my own eyes, I was sitting about 5 - 7 feet away from them) 

BoxNOne

Refs are way too chummy with players and fans these days IMO. It looks bad when they talk to certain fans and players during timeouts or dead balls. Just call the game, pick up your check and go home.

AlumniLights

Quote from: HF on January 30, 2016, 01:17:06 pm
Man.....y'all would have hated the 7a officials I watched last night...calling fouls that were actually fouls. Walls when superstar Malik monk shuffled his feet...how often do we see the stars in the lower levels actually get called for stuff? Not very often...Monk had 3 fouls last night.

My favorite though are fans that don't know the rules(over the back isn't a foul, and your especially not going to get a call if you don't bother to block out)....I thought the fans at atkins were going to storm thebcourt when Brandon fenner missed not one but two blocks, which both led to him slapping the back board.

I have a feeling most that complain about the refs wouldn't like it if they called everything 100 percent by the book....could you imagine the outrage of a red calling the technical on a coach for delaying the game by arguing calls, every time? Or the technical for delaying the game by pretending he's in the nba and trying for continuation.

Also traveling can't happen if the kid is still dribbling the ball...been to a couple gyms where they didn't understand that this year...pivot feet and pro hops are legal...shuffling isnt...

My point is, I don't think officiating is getting worse...people getting mad cause baby boy or girls team is getting kicked to sleep does seem to be increasing...at least I'm my area anyway...

Just checked this thread out since you asked me about it. Could not have said it better myself! Touche'!!!
Something has to be said about the tenacity that lacks in HS basketball these days. But when someone does ruff up little johnny or susie, all heck breaks loose because they are being too rough! Get a grip! Let them play.  Keep on keepin on HF!

Hornet4ever

Quote from: AlumniLights on February 02, 2016, 12:03:55 pm
Man.....y'all would have hated the 7a officials I watched last night...calling fouls that were actually fouls. Walls when superstar Malik monk shuffled his feet...how often do we see the stars in the lower levels actually get called for stuff? Not very often...Monk had 3 fouls last night.

My favorite though are fans that don't know the rules(over the back isn't a foul, and your especially not going to get a call if you don't bother to block out)....I thought the fans at atkins were going to storm thebcourt when Brandon fenner missed not one but two blocks, which both led to him slapping the back board.

I have a feeling most that complain about the refs wouldn't like it if they called everything 100 percent by the book....could you imagine the outrage of a red calling the technical on a coach for delaying the game by arguing calls, every time? Or the technical for delaying the game by pretending he's in the nba and trying for continuation.

Also traveling can't happen if the kid is still dribbling the ball...been to a couple gyms where they didn't understand that this year...pivot feet and pro hops are legal...shuffling isnt...

My point is, I don't think officiating is getting worse...people getting mad cause baby boy or girls team is getting kicked to sleep does seem to be increasing...at least I'm my area anyway...

Just checked this thread out since you asked me about it. Could not have said it better myself! Touche'!!!
Something has to be said about the tenacity that lacks in HS basketball these days. But when someone does ruff up little johnny or susie, all heck breaks loose because they are being too rough! Get a grip! Let them play.  Keep on keepin on HF!

I'm all for letting the kids play and the refs' not making chummy calls. But when someone goes up strong under the basket they should draw the foul. Thats how basketball works, and when refs don't call that it's extremley annoying. As a ref under the basket you should be able to see the contact.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Hornet4ever on February 02, 2016, 02:30:42 pm

I'm all for letting the kids play and the refs' not making chummy calls. But when someone goes up strong under the basket they should draw the foul. Thats how basketball works, and when refs don't call that it's extremley annoying. As a ref under the basket you should be able to see the contact.

But then people would complain the refs anticipated the contact

Hornet4ever

Quote from: HF on February 02, 2016, 03:50:24 pm

You will never see me complain about fouls under the basket if their is good contact, that's the whole point of going up strong! Good tough basketball. A few other calls that drive me crazy is the 3 seconds in the lane call. I swear we play teams and their center will stand in the key for 15 seconds and I don't think the refs have even heard of that call before. Another is these NBA lay ups they allow kids to do now a days. You can't walk 15 steps for the lay up, no matter how pretty they make it look. Guys I'm not too needy, but some of the stuff is crap. Simple fixes, but I promise you it gets worse weekly.

ltb759

The longest a player can stay in the key is 8:00 minutes.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Hornet4ever on February 02, 2016, 04:14:53 pm

You will never see me complain about fouls under the basket if their is good contact, that's the whole point of going up strong! Good tough basketball. A few other calls that drive me crazy is the 3 seconds in the lane call. I swear we play teams and their center will stand in the key for 15 seconds and I don't think the refs have even heard of that call before. Another is these NBA lay ups they allow kids to do now a days. You can't walk 15 steps for the lay up, no matter how pretty they make it look. Guys I'm not too needy, but some of the stuff is crap. Simple fixes, but I promise you it gets worse weekly.

Nba layups? Pro hop or whatever it's called is legal, so long as they land on both feet i believe...and 3 seconds varies by crew...always has...but I'm high school both feet have to be in the lane to start the count, and only 1 foot has to leave the lane to end the count.

Refs getting worse weekly? Must just be you getting ready for football again haha

Hornet4ever

Quote from: HF on February 02, 2016, 04:57:26 pm
Quote from: Hornet4ever on February 02, 2016, 04:14:53 pm

Nba layups? Pro hop or whatever it's called is legal, so long as they land on both feet i believe...and 3 seconds varies by crew...always has...but I'm high school both feet have to be in the lane to start the count, and only 1 foot has to leave the lane to end the count.

Refs getting worse weekly? Must just be you getting ready for football again haha

Yeah, man it won't be as crazy next year. Don't have family playing lol!

TheOfficial

Quote from: Fan9876 on January 29, 2016, 03:02:28 pm
Don't get me wrong,  I have much respect for officials.  It's a job I wouldn't like to do.   They won't ever get 100% of the calls right and that's ok.   But through the years,  there has been some very blantant stuff going on.   I'm just saying,  AAA makes it too easy to get away with a lot of this stuff.   No supervision at all, as far as I can see.

That's a joke.  Someone with respect for officials wouldn't stir up all this BS!!!

TheOfficial

Quote from: neafan0653 on January 30, 2016, 10:04:39 am
I was at the Marked Tree and BIC game and BIC had 7 fouls at the end of the first and MT had 0. It's not like MT wasn't fouling either but BIC couldn't get a call.

Wow, what a shame.  Must have been getting cheated.

TheOfficial

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I couldn't have said it better.

TheOfficial

Quote from: Cheek on January 30, 2016, 11:18:41 pm
I hate to complain about officials, because it will not do any good.  My biggest complaint is when officials steal calls.  If an official is standing under the basket three feet from a play under the basket, why would an official at half court make a call.  Makes no sense.

Because they may have seen a different side of it that was blocked to the other one.  Sometimes the hardest call to see is the one immediately in front of you.
2nd, it is the trail officials responsibility to call shooting fouls under the basket.  The lead official is normally watching for body contact or traveling.

TheOfficial

Quote from: Hornet4ever on January 31, 2016, 02:36:46 am
I would like to get certified to ref just so I could tell the other ref at half court making calls for under the basket that it's not his call and to keep the whistle out of his mouth

Then you would probably be wrong.  More than likely it is his call.

TheOfficial

A ref should never officiate a school he attended or his kids currently attend. 

TheOfficial

Quote from: 3 Dollar on January 31, 2016, 07:45:39 am
Referee Complaints:

Amen

patriot15

You have good and bad refs. It seems that the refs are worse in the smaller classifications. I know there is a need for officials but some of the guys that ref 2A should not be on a HS court. I would place a lot of the blame on AAA for not training the refs

TheOfficial

Quote from: Fan9876 on January 31, 2016, 02:37:13 pm
Some may be a little short sighted and think they are just impacting a game. It is a game. However, when that ref consistently impacts a particular teams outcome and limits particular players playing time by intentionally calling crap fouls on them,  they can impact that players potential at scholarships.   That can impact their ability to attend college or how many loans they are required to take to be able to attend college.  It teaches children that they can't trust authority.  It can cause a game to get out of hand on the court and in the stands when they know they can't depend on those in authority maintain control.   It is just a game, but there are kids that it isn't just a game for.   No one is perfect.  No one will ever agree with every call.  Every one is allowed to have a bad day and a bad game.   All anyone can ask is that they do the best they can and it will even out in the end.

You have serious issues and should think seriously about stopping going to games. 

ladylionmom

Are the officials monitored in any way when you get to regionals or state tournaments? How do they choose the refs for these tournaments?

The officials are people too and while there are 3 of them on the court, there are 10 players. So of course they will not catch everything. The players have to play their best at all times and not let how the refs call be the deciding factor on how you play the game. I have seen some refs that do not call fouls for one team (like having arms around a players neck and dragging them to the ground - no foul) while at the other end of the court a simple hand check is called a foul. While you have good refs and bad refs (like in all other jobs), I just hope that the main tournaments are monitored so this type of behavior is not tolerated.

TheOfficial

Regional and state officials are chosen by the AAA.

ladylionmom

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: TheOfficial on February 03, 2016, 12:00:35 pm
Regional and state officials are chosen by the AAA.

Also, especially in state tournaments, the officials are from different parts of the state so they get to work a week with people they normally wouldn't work with. 

Ole Man River

I beg to differ on some officials being picked to do Regionals and State tournaments.  I've seen real good refs not getting picked and not too good ones being selected.  There still is a "Buddy System" when it comes to getting picked to go call these tournaments.

sevenof400

Quote from: Ole Man River on February 03, 2016, 06:43:56 pm
I beg to differ on some officials being picked to do Regionals and State tournaments.  I've seen real good refs not getting picked and not too good ones being selected.  There still is a "Buddy System" when it comes to getting picked to go call these tournaments.

Two quick thoughts...

Based on your selection criteria.

How do you know the 'good' referees you know want to work the state tournament?  A good number of referees have work commitments that prevent them from working the state tournament.  It's not that all of the good referees you see aren't getting picked as much as how many of them are available in the first place? 

Basketball isn't the only sport with this problem when it comes to officials working the state tournament. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 03, 2016, 07:17:44 pm

Two quick thoughts...

How do you know the 'good' referees you know want to work the state tournament?  A good number of referees have work commitments that prevent them from working the state tournament.  It's not that all of the good referees you see aren't getting picked as much as how many of them are available in the first place? 

Basketball isn't the only sport with this problem when it comes to officials working the state tournament. 

The real good ones don't call against his team...Don't you see this trend?

I watched a game last night(neutral like usual), heard the visiting crowd riding the refs for not calling touch fouls on their end, but not a word when their guy threw a kid to the floor on no call. That seems to the definition of a good ref in the River Valley...

dragondad

Quote from: HF on February 03, 2016, 08:26:38 pm

Two quick thoughts...

I watched a game last night(neutral like usual), heard the visiting crowd riding the refs for not calling touch fouls on their end, but not a word when their guy threw a kid to the floor on no call. That seems to the definition of a good ref in the River Valley...

Well I watched and heard a ref under the basket last night have a dialogue with a spectator about "make sure they save me some chicken strips!"....."no I don't want a hot dog, get me some chicken strips and set them to the side!"

While the game was in progress

HorseFeathers

Quote from: dragondad on February 03, 2016, 10:18:35 pm
Quote from: HF on February 03, 2016, 08:26:38 pm

Two quick thoughts...

Well I watched and heard a ref under the basket last night have a dialogue with a spectator about "make sure they save me some chicken strips!"....."no I don't want a hot dog, get me some chicken strips and set them to the side!"

While the game was in progress

haha...wowow, that's why i specify in my area lol

mtindian42

He was hungry lol... He wanted some chicken!

MikeT

The refs are the worst I've ever seen in 3A this year.  It's not the calls they make usually, it's the calls they don't make but there is a reason they work the smaller schools. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas