• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NEA Tournament

Started by MikelB, December 21, 2015, 10:15:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RedWolf275

Taylor Layne is a great shooter but no where near as good overall as his old pop.

Asu12

Quote from: mtindian42 on December 31, 2015, 10:40:27 am
Brian reaves the dad was a good basketball player! Spencer reaves the brother is a good basketball player

AUSTIN REAVES is on a different level then both of them!!!

Man! I sure hope the reaves family can find it in there hearts to forgive me! For helping to promote there sons name!!! Shame on me!!!😀
First of all thanks for all the nice complements about my boys. Second, I tell Austin all the time I would lock him down and he wouldn't score on me. 😳😳😳😳.   Just messing. I just want to say BOTH of my boys are way better than I never thought about being. Thanks again for the nice comments. Spencer & Austin are both blessed to be able to play a game they LOVE.

Batman44

Mr Reaves, I am VERY much a Spencer and Austin fan. Watched Spence on line last year when he was in NC. Keep up with his great playing at UCM. What Austin did in the NEA this week is incredible!! I wish both him and Spence the very best in the future. Have met Spencer one time at the All Star game. Great young man!

mtindian42

Your very welcome! Wish them both much success!!!

Asu12

Quote from: Batman44 on December 31, 2015, 03:10:34 pm
Mr Reaves, I am VERY much a Spencer and Austin fan. Watched Spence on line last year when he was in NC. Keep up with his great playing at UCM. What Austin did in the NEA this week is incredible!! I wish both him and Spence the very best in the future. Have met Spencer one time at the All Star game. Great young man!

Thank you

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Asu12 on December 31, 2015, 02:43:21 pm
Brian reaves the dad was a good basketball player! Spencer reaves the brother is a good basketball player

Man! I sure hope the reaves family can find it in there hearts to forgive me! For helping to promote there sons name!!! Shame on me!!!😀
First of all thanks for all the nice complements about my boys. Second, I tell Austin all the time I would lock him down and he wouldn't score on me. 😳😳😳😳.   Just messing. I just want to say BOTH of my boys are way better than I never thought about being. Thanks again for the nice comments. Spencer & Austin are both blessed to be able to play a game they LOVE.

Mr. Reaves I have watched CR play in the NEA the past few years!!
Very well coached and always play with heart and class!!
Austin broke the Record against some of the best compitition
Around this area. Was very impressed how much of a team player he really is !!
On a solid college team ... Wow

Asu12

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on December 31, 2015, 03:29:19 pm
Quote from: Asu12 on December 31, 2015, 02:43:21 pm

Mr. Reaves I have watched CR play in the NEA the past few years!!
Very well coached and always play with heart and class!!
Austin broke the Record against some of the best compitition
Around this area. Was very impressed how much of a team player he really is !!
On a solid college team ... Wow

Thank you. I think Coach Middlebrooks does a good job with the boys. It was definitely a exciting week of basketball. Some of our others boys don't get enough credit but they do their job. They are a good group of young men.

Marblehog

Can someone please post cedar ridge schedule.  I have to come see this kid

mtindian42

Marblehog

Does anyone know where their regional or state tourney will be?

Silky Johnson

the regional and state tournaments will be decided here in 2 or 3 weeks. also Feb. 12 Cedar Ridge plays EPC.

Marblehog

Quote from: Silky Johnson on December 31, 2015, 05:52:46 pm
the regional and state tournaments will be decided here in 2 or 3 weeks. also Feb. 12 Cedar Ridge plays EPC.
thanks.  That's just too far away

Real deal

Let me say this. Austin reeves is freaking awesome. I'm guarded with my praise but this guy is the best I've ever seen. Wouldn't blame anyone for offering him and no offense to his old man but both his kids are better. Which brings me to taylor and whitlee Layne.  They are their own people. Taylor is good but his situation is totally different than his old mans. He could have his old mans numbers but his situation is different. Very proud of him, he's the glue for bay. He's just a winner. Whitlee will get better and she is pretty good as a 14 yr old freshman. No offense to Brian reeves in this, dude was good and a division 1 player. Both of his sons are studs. Taylor and whitlee are great high school players. Two best teams in NEA. Bay and cedar ridge boys, wish they played. I'm proud of the talent we have in NEA hope they get what they deserve. Oh and it doesn't get any better if ur kids play for Brannen or midden brooks. Again Austin reeves, wow!! 

yesteryearman

Quote from: Real deal on December 31, 2015, 06:32:14 pm
Let me say this. Austin reeves is freaking awesome. I'm guarded with my praise but this guy is the best I've ever seen. Wouldn't blame anyone for offering him and no offense to his old man but both his kids are better. Which brings me to taylor and whitlee Layne.  They are their own people. Taylor is good but his situation is totally different than his old mans. He could have his old mans numbers but his situation is different. Very proud of him, he's the glue for bay. He's just a winner. Whitlee will get better and she is pretty good as a 14 yr old freshman. No offense to Brian reeves in this, dude was good and a division 1 player. Both of his sons are studs. Taylor and whitlee are great high school players. Two best teams in NEA. Bay and cedar ridge boys, wish they played. I'm proud of the talent we have in NEA hope they get what they deserve. Oh and it doesn't get any better if ur kids play for Brannen or midden brooks. Again Austin reeves, wow!!

I haven't seen Reeves play....I did see Colton Watson play several times last year...is Reeves better than Watson?

mtindian42

😂😂😂🔼🔼🔼🔼 by a bunch!!!! Not even close!!!

Real deal

Quote from: mtindian42 on December 31, 2015, 06:59:06 pm
😂😂😂🔼🔼🔼🔼 by a bunch!!!! Not even close!!!

Whoa!!  Colton was a freak. A different argument, at 6'0 Colton Watson a different animal. Reeves is awesome. Not even close?  Whoaaaaaa!!!!

mtindian42

Watson was good for his class!!! Reaves is going places!! NBA bound!!!

Real deal

Reeves>Colton but let's not shun Colton. If he's 6'5. Holy cow!!!!

Mustangfans

Quote from: whosyourdaddy on December 31, 2015, 10:46:47 am
QUESTIONS-- can he do it against other D1 talent? against equal or better player?  has he played against any other players as good as he is? did any team in the NEA have a player as good?   that may be the reason no bigger offers..  I am assuming that he is the best player on the court every night..  lets look at some of the D! guards from AR the last few yrs, Kevaughn Allen(NLR), Marquise Pointer(jboro), Marcus Monk(Bent.), Dusty Hannahs(PA), Ky Madden(epc), peyton willis(fay), can he play with any of those guys??  Arkansas only produces about 4-5 D1 players a year(fact).. just saying that I would like to see what he can do against equal or better talented players than him or what he is playing against!!

The very first time I ever seen Cedar Ridge play was in 2013. It was Austin's freshman year. They played a very talented EPC team in the Regional finals. Malik Monk was also a freshman playing for EPC. Pre game warm ups I thought to myself this is going to be ugly. Cedar Ridge played the best fundamental basketball game I've ever watched. I've been a fan of Cedar Ridge (the Reeves and the Crabtree's) ever since that day. Cedar Ridge won Regionals and State that year by beating EPC for both titles. I guess what I'm getting at is Austin and his team beat a team twice which had a D1 player on it. I know Malik was only a freshman then and has gotten better since, but Austin has too. Both are outstanding players and they both fill gyms.

neds

Quote from: mtindian42 on December 31, 2015, 07:08:41 pm
Watson was good for his class!!! Reaves is going places!! NBA bound!!!

NBA good. I need to buy a tic while he's an amateur

Head Lion

Quote from: Mustangfans on December 31, 2015, 07:39:58 pm
QUESTIONS-- can he do it against other D1 talent? against equal or better player?  has he played against any other players as good as he is? did any team in the NEA have a player as good?   that may be the reason no bigger offers..  I am assuming that he is the best player on the court every night..  lets look at some of the D! guards from AR the last few yrs, Kevaughn Allen(NLR), Marquise Pointer(jboro), Marcus Monk(Bent.), Dusty Hannahs(PA), Ky Madden(epc), peyton willis(fay), can he play with any of those guys??  Arkansas only produces about 4-5 D1 players a year(fact).. just saying that I would like to see what he can do against equal or better talented players than him or what he is playing against!!

The very first time I ever seen Cedar Ridge play was in 2013. It was Austin's freshman year. They played a very talented EPC team in the Regional finals. Malik Monk was also a freshman playing for EPC. Pre game warm ups I thought to myself this is going to be ugly. Cedar Ridge played the best fundamental basketball game I've ever watched. I've been a fan of Cedar Ridge (the Reeves and the Crabtree's) ever since that day. Cedar Ridge won Regionals and State that year by beating EPC for both titles. I guess what I'm getting at is Austin and his team beat a team twice which had a D1 player on it. I know Malik was only a freshman then and has gotten better since, but Austin has too. Both are outstanding players and they both fill gyms.
Yea, I remember that EPC team. Brady Jones & Manila throttled them in NEA semis!

Real deal

Quote from: Head Lion on December 31, 2015, 08:58:46 pm

Yea, I remember that EPC team. Brady Jones & Manila throttled them in NEA semis!
HL don't get of NEA tourney yet. We going to work on 3 game guarantee. Manila hasn't won one yet and with talent and move ins u guys have. It could happen.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Head Lion on December 31, 2015, 08:58:46 pm

2011-12 season. Wasn't the worst game EPC played all but was close. State title game, make a couple of freethrows who knows. EPC probably wins their 3rd in a row and Monk stats at EPC.

If anyone is questioning who is better between Monk and Reeves. One is going to be in the league in 2 years and one everyone is debating on whether or not he's D1 ready.

Oldref

Was reading the local weekly paper today and it had a article about 25 years ago. Article started off with January 1, 1991 (game was night before) BIC beat Manila in A-B Division of NEA 52-49 for BIC second NEA title in a row. All NEA team had Chip Layne, Tony Pace and Jeff Austin from BIC. Manila had James Copeland and Casey Wells. Question for Head Lion..... was that Manila's last finals appearance in the NEA? I think the information on the NEA website said Manila had played in 58 tournaments with no championships. Lots of good info on the history of the tournament on that site. Think Marmaduke has the most titles with BIC second. Last night was Bays third title.

bdubyab60

I know EPC boys and Girls have a few not sure how many.

Missco

December 31, 2015, 10:42:55 pm #425 Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:57:49 pm by Missco
Blytheville has 12, Leacville 8, BIC 6 Rivercrest 5Gosnell 3 Osceola 4 ( I think), Armorel 3. Dyeses 2.

Oldref

According to the info on the website it had EPC and Marmaduke with 7
BIC 6
Nettleton and Rivercrest with 5
Valley View 4
Bay and Marked Tree with 3

Several more with 2 or 1.

These were all boys titles

Didn't see Blytheville on the list

Missco

I am 100 percent Blytheville has 12 and Leacville has 8. Jonesboro has the most with 18

Oldref

I guess they only included the teams in this years tournament in the list......who knows?
Not disputing your info Missco I know Leachville and Blytheville had lots of titles.

Blytheville should come back and play in it again.

Missco

I highly doubt Blytheville or Gosnell ever will. Especially with all their 18 games being conference games. Three tournaments with 3 games will be even more important. All schools in NEA in classes AAA through 7A will only have non conference games if they play in only 2 tournaments except Riverside. I hear that a few more schools are getting out

Oldref

I think there will be some type of consolation bracket or different format coming soon to get at least a couple of games for everyone. I had one coach tell me this week if he was not good enough to win a first round game he didn't need a couple more losses in a consolation bracket. Sure everyone doesn't feel that way but a few still do.

I just think it is the closest thing to playing in a state tournament atmosphere available in Arkansas and any team that is playing to make it to state in March needs to be exposed to that kind of environment. Crowds were electric in the semifinals and finals this week. Probably around 5 thousand people there both nights. It is like that every year. You wont get that pressure packed atmosphere at Beebe or Harrison or many of  the other classic locations. Plenty of competition still at NEA.

You won't see that type of turnout anyplace else in my opinion. NEA still is a fan favorite and something most basketball fans look forward to all year. PS......I know I am old school but outside of winning state it is still the top title to win......at least to us old timers in NEA.

Missco

I agree with you. The coaches that think that do not have football. Blytheville or Gosnell would pretty much play two games regardless.In  every other state every tournament is pretty much a three game quarantee. I wish everyone would get back in it even Jonesboro.

NEA Razorback olfan

I personally would like to see Brookland boys and girls teams back in the NEA Tourney.
Our boys drove all the way to Beebe to play GCT in a consolation game, that's only 10 min's down the road.
I really like the atmosphere of the NEA.
Consolation games could be played at local High Schools if needed.
NEA Tourney Tradition needs to live on IMO.

Oldref

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on December 31, 2015, 11:53:20 pm
I personally would like to see Brookland boys and girls teams back in the NEA Tourney.
Our boys drove all the way to Beebe to play GCT in a consolation game, that's only 10 min's down the road.
Olfan I agree Brookland boys and girls hopefully will come back soon. Would be great to see the Bearcats and Lady Bearcats back in the NEA. Best basketball area of the state with great fan support.

Oldref

Quote from: Missco on December 31, 2015, 11:52:48 pm
I agree with you. The coaches that think that do not have football. Blytheville or Gosnell would pretty much play two games regardless.In  every other state every tournament is pretty much a three game quarantee. I wish everyone would get back in it even Jonesboro.
+1

NEA Razorback olfan

January 01, 2016, 12:17:21 am #435 Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:24:30 am by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: Oldref on December 31, 2015, 11:58:08 pm
Olfan I agree Brookland boys and girls hopefully will come back soon. Would be great to see the Bearcats and Lady Bearcats back in the NEA. Best basketball area of the state with great fan support.

Oldref, I really enjoy walking around and visiting people I know , players, coaches, fans, before and during games, other coaches sitting and talking about how their season is going .
Just great times. Some had suggested a blind drawing after divisions are set. Then maybe the first couple of days wouldn't be as many miss matched first rd games but the way it is now is fine with me plus throw in a consolation bracket. Yes the NEA fans are great!!
5000 show up for the semi and finals is awsome!!!
Hopefully Brookland will be back in it soon !!

Shout out to the 11th seed Melbourne girls this year !!

chickasaw fan

Yep, nice job by the 11 seed!!!! That"s what tourney play is all about. Best of luck on rest of the season!!

bdubyab60

Bay had a kid back a while ago named James Mcmasters I believe. Looking at him no way you would think he was a ball player. I was at the NEA and bay was playing BIC. BIC was taking it to Bay and pressing the mess out of them and Bay was turning it over. Bay coach calls a timeout. I'm sitting right behind the bench and this may be one the funniest things I've ever heard a coach say.

Give the ball to James and get the H out of his way. Bay went on to win the game if I remember and went on to go fairly deep in the playoffs as well.

Don't know what ever happened to that kid but I saw him play a few times and he just torched folks.

NEA Razorback olfan

I agree!!
Same to your team!!

bdubyab60

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on January 01, 2016, 12:17:21 am

Oldref, I really enjoy walking around and visiting people I know , players, coaches, fans, before and during games, other coaches sitting and talking about how their season is going .
Just great times. Some had suggested a blind drawing after divisions are set. Then maybe the first couple of days wouldn't be as many miss matched first rd games but the way it is now is fine with me plus throw in a consolation bracket. Yes the NEA fans are great!!

I usually go and catch a few days of games. Used up
touch of my vacation this year and only got to see a few games. Ended up being one of the most exciting years of the NEA

NEA Razorback olfan

January 01, 2016, 12:55:31 am #440 Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:07:18 am by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 01, 2016, 12:47:09 am
Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on January 01, 2016, 12:17:21 am

I usually go and catch a few days of games. Used up
touch of my vacation this year and only got to see a few games. Ended up being one of the most exciting years of the NEA

bd, I agree , bay really put on a clinic , then CR hung right with a very tough VV team.
Reaves put on a show in 3 OT , a little after 11pm it was over and the crowd all left in disbelief of what they Saw!!! Great times and watched history set again.
Now every coach is getting ready for thè conference stretch. Best of luck to all the NEA teams!!

And A Happy New Year!!!

Head Lion

Old Ref, 2011 vs Nettleton led by Brady Jones & Scott Eubanks was last title game & we have probably had our last shot. We had 1 coach, & I use that term loosely seed us next to last & 1 2nd from the bottom, really??? I just may feel like our time has probably come to do some thing else. I envision us hosting an event trying to attract an top area 1A, 2A & 4A school & bring in 4 off teams that are top programs 1A-4A & 1s play 4s & 2s play 3, with a guarantee format. We are looking also at 6-7 invites each year to bring our team & a large fan base elsewhere. Just looking at options.

Marblehog

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 01, 2016, 12:43:55 am
Bay had a kid back a while ago named James Mcmasters I believe. Looking at him no way you would think he was a ball player. I was at the NEA and bay was playing BIC. BIC was taking it to Bay and pressing the mess out of them and Bay was turning it over. Bay coach calls a timeout. I'm sitting right behind the bench and this may be one the funniest things I've ever heard a coach say.

Give the ball to James and get the H out of his way. Bay went on to win the game if I remember and went on to go fairly deep in the playoffs as well.

Don't know what ever happened to that kid but I saw him play a few times and he just torched folks.
smart coach.  Most dumb coaches want the ball forced to the middle on every press to someone who isn't a 1 or 2 guard

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas