• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual State Tournament

Started by yesteryearman, December 19, 2015, 04:19:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bleudog

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 05, 2016, 01:58:08 pm
.... Christmas break would be a great time in that you would have an entire week to play it out without worrying about conference games.

The dates have already been changed over the last couple of years or so to address those schools that complained a tournament that was being played once conference play had started wasn't something they were interested in participating in.

Another challenge that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread has been school consolidations.  Many schools that participated in years past no longer exist (i.e. Union, Mt Holly, Norphlet, Bernice, Spearsville, Stephens, etc).

It would have been nice if PC and Strong had chosen Dual State over the Hampton tournament.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 05, 2016, 01:58:08 pm
That's not entirely true.... the power ratings system does give them credit for playing out of state teams.  Their points are based on win/loss, classification, and w/l of the team played.  I think the downfall started one year in the early 2000's they got the dates screwed up and several teams had to back out if I remember right.  After that, it got kind of messy and several perennial teams wouldn't come anymore due to scheduling and the fact that JC always received preferential seeding regardless of records.  Many of the local coaches got tired of "going down there to get beat up" when it got so big they were scheduling games in 1hr15min time slots.  Officials weren't calling many fouls and it got pretty rough.  No blood no foul type stuff. 
I hope they try to resurrect this tourney to what it used to be.... Christmas break would be a great time in that you would have an entire week to play it out without worrying about conference games.

Having two gyms will help the time issues too. Flippin runs their Christmas tournament that way....

PuddlePirate12

I also heard one year Stephens and JC boys got in a fight on the court and the finals had to be canceled. Don't jump on me.. I have no idea if there's any truth to that. But I do know a few of the past Stephens teams had large mouths so I could see that happening

bleudog

January 06, 2016, 08:25:39 pm #53 Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:42:39 pm by bleudog
Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on January 06, 2016, 07:57:13 pm
I also heard one year Stephens and JC boys got in a fight on the court and the finals had to be canceled. Don't jump on me.. I have no idea if there's any truth to that. But I do know a few of the past Stephens teams had large mouths so I could see that happening

No need to jump you.  It happened.  The final in 2008 was truncated.  The layout of the gym might have worked in a kinder and gentler 1950/1960 something, but when the people sitting on the front row are literally one foot from the out of bounds line it's asking for trouble in today's world.

Quote from: bleudog on January 26, 2008, 11:36:00 pm
Quote from: footballfan on January 26, 2008, 10:50:58 pm
I was listening to the game so keep that in mind. There apparently was a heated exchange between a Stephens player and one from Junction. The JC kid was sent to the bench, then ejected. A state policeman apparently approached an official and told which Stephens kid was mouthing off. He was then ejected. The Stephens coach took the team to the lockerroom and officials (school and otherwise) decided to empty the gym. They then called off the game and gave JC the victory 33-18 in the second quarter. Stephens travels to JC on Friday, Feb. 1, for a conference game. Hamburg lost an 18-point lead to Stephens in the afternoon and lost in OT. Hamburg left and didn't come back for the third-place game.

Heard it the same way.

Thanks for the info on the Hamburg situation.

This is also from the radio account.  In the first quarter of the JC-Stephens game a Stephens player ended up in the stands after going for a ball.  There was some pushing and shoving between the player and a fan or fans.  Both teams were sent to the locker rooms and some fans were ejected.  Don't think the Stephens player was ejected and the game resumed.  Guess the officials and school administration didn't want to take the chance of a third incident. 

Too bad this year's tournament had to end this way.   

PuddlePirate12

Also heard a few teams didn't come in the past simply because they didn't want to drive that far to lose. I can think of 3 that this is the case. It would be a good tournament if nothing other than 1 and 2a schools would go (and whatever larger schools would be willing). All the ones within that area.. From Trinity Christian to Dermott. Kind of a long drive but there's nothing like playing in a a historic gym like that against the home team.. Or even if it's not the home team. It gets loud in there. It's something everyone should experience. It's a blast just to be there and watch.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas