• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual State Tournament

Started by yesteryearman, December 19, 2015, 04:19:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

yesteryearman

I am hearing that this will be the last Tournament in the "old Gym".  Is that correct?  Have any brackets been published?  Will Emerson be in the tournament?

dragondad

This should indeed be the last Dual State Tourney in the "New-Old" Gym.   The new facility should be complete prior to the 2016-17 school year.

Haven't seen the bracket yet, but it's my understanding that Emerson is in the mix. JC will also play Emerson as a regular non-conference game as well.

yesteryearman

Quote from: dragondad on December 20, 2015, 06:19:33 pm
This should indeed be the last Dual State Tourney in the "New-Old" Gym.   The new facility should be complete prior to the 2016-17 school year.

Haven't seen the bracket yet, but it's my understanding that Emerson is in the mix. JC will also play Emerson as a regular non-conference game as well.

Was there a gym prior to the one they are playing in now?  If so, where was it located and what year did JC quit playing in it?

jvance

Monday Dec.28th games boys:

5:10--Nashville vs Starks winner plays Junction City on Wednesday 30th at 520
7:30--Smackover vs Bearden winner plays Emerson on Wednesday 30th at 740

Finals are Jan. 2nd at 700.

thabeast428

dragondad

Quote from: yesteryearman on December 20, 2015, 07:33:14 pm
Quote from: dragondad on December 20, 2015, 06:19:33 pm

Was there a gym prior to the one they are playing in now?  If so, where was it located and what year did JC quit playing in it?

The "Old Gym" was located on the corner where the high school parking lot is now. Not sure exactly what year they quit playing in it but it was still in use for special events and PE in the late 90's. I believe it was torn down around 2000

bleudog

December 21, 2015, 06:18:16 am #6 Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:20:13 am by bleudog
The current gym was built in the mid to late 50s and became the primary venue at that time. As DD mentioned, the gym before that was torn down in the mid 2000s.   

Proud Buckaroo

bleudog

~WPS~

Anybody able to provide updates?

~WPS~

dragondad

December 28, 2015, 09:50:08 pm #11 Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:14:08 pm by dragondad
Smackover defeated Bearden 76-70

Wednesdays games:

JC vs Nashville

Emerson vs Smackover

Bearden vs Starks

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: ~WPS~ on December 28, 2015, 04:26:58 pm
Anybody able to provide updates?

If you go to thto 3A board. I will be posting updates as I recieve them.

bleudog

bleudog

Wednesday, 12/30

•Bearden girls vs. Emerson, 4:10 p.m.

•Junction City boys vs. Nashville, 5:20 p.m.

•Junction City girls vs. Smackover, 6:30 p.m.

•Smackover boys vs. Emerson, 7:40 p.m.

THA TRUTH

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bleudog on December 30, 2015, 01:19:50 pm
Wednesday, 12/30

•Bearden girls vs. Emerson, 4:10 p.m.

•Junction City boys vs. Nashville, 5:20 p.m.

•Junction City girls vs. Smackover, 6:30 p.m.

•Smackover boys vs. Emerson, 7:40 p.m.

Any streaming for this one?

Proud Buckaroo

I THINK the Smackover radio station will stream the smackover games on 92.7. Not sure though.

thabeast428

Not a bad win for jc 58-54 over Nashville but man it was a good game that went into OT.

THA TRUTH

Jc has to get it together if they plan on contending for a state

thabeast428

Well yea ur right but when u only have 1 sr a jr or two and the rest sophomores not too bad for the third game. Ty needs to step it up though bc right now other than his rebounding he isn't doing to much. Atleast not compared to what I have seen him do in the past

THA TRUTH

No where near what he is capable of

thabeast428

PuddlePirate12

Quote from: thabeast428 on December 30, 2015, 08:16:22 pm
Who is winning girls game

JC up 74-61 with 1:33 in 4th

This game is a joke. Taking two hours with the whistle being blown literally every 10 seconds

bleudog

bleudog

Saturday, Jan. 2nd games:

•Smackover girls vs. Emerson, beginning at 3 p.m.

•Smackover boys vs. Nashville, beginning at 4:15 p.m.

•Junction City girls vs. Bearden, beginning at 5:30 p.m.

•Junction City boys vs. Emerson, beginning at 7 p.m.

thabeast428

#4 from bearden girls has mad range, good 3 point shooting team

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: thabeast428 on January 02, 2016, 06:13:25 pm
#4 from bearden girls has mad range, good 3 point shooting team

I see absolutely no defense

NEA Razorback olfan

#4 needs to move without ball , attack the basket more when the d is spread so wide.

bleudog

January 02, 2016, 07:08:12 pm #29 Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 07:42:17 pm by bleudog
Girls finals:

Bearden. 42
Junction 40

End of three

NEA Razorback olfan

Junction needs to force some turnovers

bleudog

Girls finals:

Bearden.  61
Junction. 53

Final

bleudog

Boys finals

Emerson.  8
Junction 13

End of one.

bleudog

Boys finals

Emerson.  28
Junction. 29

At the half

bleudog

Boys finals

Emerson.   46
Junction.  39

End of three.

bleudog

Boys finals.

Emerson. 60
Junction 48

Final

bleudog

NWA Hawg

Bluedog do you have a link to the newspaper article for the finals of the tournament?

bleudog

January 03, 2016, 01:07:56 pm #38 Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:11:30 pm by bleudog
Quote from: fann07 on January 03, 2016, 10:03:10 am
Bluedog do you have a link to the newspaper article for the finals of the tournament?

Here you go: 

CLICK HERE 

CLICK HERE

PuddlePirate12

"Emerson's not use to this pace"
"Gonna be hard for Emerson to keep up with Junction"
"JCs first loss vs Emerson last year was a fluke"

Just a few of my favorite quotes after rewatching the game online today. Lol

WPWells

THA TRUTH

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on January 03, 2016, 05:28:38 pm

This year Jc team isn't even close to last year and this team can't run like last either so unless they said these quotes on the livestream for whatever reason u might want to get more up to date quotes

thabeast428

He said he heard them on the live stream

PuddlePirate12

Quote from: THA TRUTH on January 04, 2016, 09:28:42 am

This year Jc team isn't even close to last year and this team can't run like last either so unless they said these quotes on the livestream for whatever reason u might want to get more up to date quotes

Whether it was about this years team or last they're inaccurate. Emerson could and did run with JC twice last year. But he said that during the recording I watched from the link above about this years matchup

bleudog

I'm just happy they did the broadcast and want to thank them for it.  I could be wrong, but as far as I know, all of the DSN folks are volunteers and any ad money covers the equipment and broadcasting fees from the IP company.

Rida4Life

Sad that a once great tournament has evolved into this.  I can remember when Dual State was the hot ticket for South Arkansas and North Louisiana in January.  I've seen some great players in the tournament over the years, Gerrard Henderson, Antonio Meeking, Teddy Gibson, Cornelius Frazier, Jerome Godfrey, Dennis Malone, James Anderson, just to name a few.  I remember Godfrey and Henderson dropping bombs.  That team with Gibson and Meeking was fun to watch.  Lots of great memories from there and I hope they can get it back to what it used to be.....
.... and I never saw him play but Bobby Joe Douglas was supposedly pretty special too.

THA TRUTH

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on January 04, 2016, 10:52:47 am
Quote from: THA TRUTH on January 04, 2016, 09:28:42 am

Whether it was about this years team or last they're inaccurate. Emerson could and did run with JC twice last year. But he said that during the recording I watched from the link above about this years matchup

Emerson didn't try and run last year I know that cause they slowed it down to half court offense and Jc couldn't stop that number 20 but credit it due for the win they got last year

THA TRUTH

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 04, 2016, 01:00:21 pm
Sad that a once great tournament has evolved into this.  I can remember when Dual State was the hot ticket for South Arkansas and North Louisiana in January.  I've seen some great players in the tournament over the years, Gerrard Henderson, Antonio Meeking, Teddy Gibson, Cornelius Frazier, Jerome Godfrey, Dennis Malone, James Anderson, just to name a few.  I remember Godfrey and Henderson dropping bombs.  That team with Gibson and Meeking was fun to watch.  Lots of great memories from there and I hope they can get it back to what it used to be.....
.... and I never saw him play but Bobby Joe Douglas was supposedly pretty special too.

Ole Karl even played in it... Hopefully a new gym will bring it back some

PuddlePirate12

Quote from: THA TRUTH on January 04, 2016, 02:23:56 pm
Quote from: Rida4Life on January 04, 2016, 01:00:21 pm

Ole Karl even played in it... Hopefully a new gym will bring it back some

Most the Louisiana teams don't want to play Arkansas teams because it doesn't help them. I think in Louisiana they have power rankings and get no or few points for playing or even beating an Arkansas team. I think Starks was the first LA team I've seen in dual state in several years. I too hope it becomes a big deal again. It would've been nice to see it when it had 75 teams in it

Rida4Life

That's not entirely true.... the power ratings system does give them credit for playing out of state teams.  Their points are based on win/loss, classification, and w/l of the team played.  I think the downfall started one year in the early 2000's they got the dates screwed up and several teams had to back out if I remember right.  After that, it got kind of messy and several perennial teams wouldn't come anymore due to scheduling and the fact that JC always received preferential seeding regardless of records.  Many of the local coaches got tired of "going down there to get beat up" when it got so big they were scheduling games in 1hr15min time slots.  Officials weren't calling many fouls and it got pretty rough.  No blood no foul type stuff. 
I hope they try to resurrect this tourney to what it used to be.... Christmas break would be a great time in that you would have an entire week to play it out without worrying about conference games.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas