• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HIGH SCHOOL VOLLEYBALL

Started by Valleysports, July 26, 2008, 10:44:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Valleysports

July 26, 2008, 10:44:40 am Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:20:59 am by Valleysports
With high school games starting up Aug 25th, I am  wondering how teams are shaping up.  Russellville, Conway, & MSM, will battle it out in 7A Central. 

Smithian

I'm not sure how it will  be this year, but I am pretty sure Southside is usually a power house program.

7AFBFAN

Harber, Rogers, Bentonville, Northside, and Southside will all battle it out this year. Harber may come out on top.

elvis26

hey valleysports how have you been? it has been a while since i have heard from you. i cant believe volleyball season is almost here!! i believe russelville  and har-ber will be strong contenders this year. which teams do you think will be strong contenders this year? bye for now. your friend elvis26

Valleysports

July 26, 2008, 06:47:32 pm #4 Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 06:01:10 am by Valleysports
Hey elvis26, hoped you'd pick this up.  It took me awhile to find it after the moderator moved it from the 7A Bulletin Board.  Wonder why they can't just give us a spot like Football, Basketball, Soccer, Softball?   Need a moderator's dd to play Volleyball.  :)

Well I don't know the NW girls except when we (some Russellville girls) were playing offseason tournaments would run into  dominating JO teams from NW.  I asked one of the girls where they were from and she said that most of her team was from Bentonville.  There are some girls out there in the West that serve the ball so ridiculousy hard.

Of course in the Central, I'm partial to my dd's team.  But the truth is they should be good (Cental isn't strong in VB either).  Not near as many girls playing JO as in West.  DD just got back from Fayetteville last night and said they did good at team camp, until they got tired towards the end of 2nd day.  They didn't have any substitutes.   

Volleyball at Arkansas Tech - Sept 10th is High School Night. We really enjoy watching Volleyball in the Coliseum. http://athletics.atu.edu/

7AFBFAN tells us more about the West - Volleyball is like a secret.  Do girls from Arkansas play VB at DI schools?  In Softball it's very rare, just not the level of ball as other states.

Valleysports

How many A's is Volleyball played in?  There are 4A schools around me that don't play Volleyball, so I am wondering if it is a 7A,6A, & a 5A, thing or what?  VB has got to be the least expensive sport to finance and the most enjoyable, it amazes me that the smaller schools don't play.

T-Wacker

Quote from: Valleysports on July 28, 2008, 06:14:41 am
How many A's is Volleyball played in?  There are 4A schools around me that don't play Volleyball, so I am wondering if it is a 7A,6A, & a 5A, thing or what?  VB has got to be the least expensive sport to finance and the most enjoyable, it amazes me that the smaller schools don't play.

It pulls away from basketball pre-season workouts, so the BB coaches fight it. Especially at the small school level where basketball is king.

unblockable1

hear Perryville starts volleyball this season --3A,  with ROOKIE Coach Pike Palmer and 20 players??????

jacosportsfreak

Hate to ask such a stupid question, but I come from an area where there is no volleyball.  When does the volleyball season run?

Valleysports

July 28, 2008, 05:40:12 pm #9 Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:23:09 am by Valleysports
Quote from: unblockable1 on July 28, 2008, 01:25:11 pm
hear Perryville starts volleyball this season --3A,  with ROOKIE Coach Pike Palmer and 20 players??????

Quote from: jacosportsfreak on July 28, 2008, 01:33:54 pm

Hate to ask such a stupid question, but I come from an area where there is no volleyball.  When does the volleyball season run?

Way to go Perryville!  And ya'll might go right to the top with those athletes ya'll currently have.  We know Megan Robinson.

Volleyball starts NOW!  Our first game is first day of school Aug 25th..  Where are you at now?  Can you go see Tech play, they let you in free and it's neat to watch that level.

Valleysports

July 30, 2008, 12:55:18 pm #10 Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:25:36 am by Valleysports
Edited - was trying to spark debate  8)

mdawg12

Quote from: Valleysports on July 30, 2008, 12:55:18 pm

Greenwood will stomp Siloam Springs 5A

http://www.nwanews.com/hl/Sports/25084

I think Siloam might give them a run for their money.  ;)

Valleysports

July 30, 2008, 07:41:49 pm #12 Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:25:04 am by Valleysports

Has anyone else started two-a-days yet?

mdawg12

Quote from: Valleysports on July 30, 2008, 07:41:49 pm
Yep her club team is good, but we're talking about the high school.  ;)  Could be like Bentonville?  You really need 4 or 5 good players on a team.

Has anyone else started two-a-days yet?

That's what the article said - 4 of the Siloam kids are key players on that team (two juniors and two sophs - two of which were all-state last year), and the rest of the crew are pretty salty, they are just on the AAU basketball teams for the summer.  I think they are reloaded and ready for another run at State, in both volleyball and basketball.

Hibatchi

Quote from: Valleysports on July 30, 2008, 12:55:18 pm

And Brookland will show the door to Westside and Valleyview in 4A.

Brookland is a 3A school, and they still have a ways to go to get to Westside and Valley View level

7AFBFAN

Bentonville's been struggling anyway as of late??? What does that mean exactly, they won 7A last year.

Valleysports

July 31, 2008, 06:12:45 pm #16 Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:26:12 am by Valleysports

7AFBFAN

I already listed the schools I think will battle for a conference and state championship. Harber, Northside, Southside, Bentonville, and Rogers. I predict harber or Rogers wins it all.

Quite Frankly

August 01, 2008, 06:52:19 pm #18 Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:55:51 pm by QF©
Allright, I'll weigh in with a vote to support a Volleyball board.  It is a sanctioned AAA team sport and I was surprised at the amount of activity the Soccer one received when it started up last year.

Put both my votes down for a Volleyball thread.  The timing is right. 

elvis26

i also vote for a volleyball board. it is definitely time for a volleyball board!! count me in!! sincerely
                                         elvis26

Quite Frankly

unblockable1

Quote from: T-Wacker on July 28, 2008, 07:11:45 am
Quote from: Valleysports on July 28, 2008, 06:14:41 am

It pulls away from basketball pre-season workouts, so the BB coaches fight it. Especially at the small school level where basketball is king.
[/quot

why would the basketball coaches dislike it so much? do v-ball  players not workout? is it not for the kids? dont get me wrong i love basketball, but i think if a sport is offered and a kid can fit it in his or her schedule  then let em play all of them they want

Valleysports

Quote from: unblockable1 on August 10, 2008, 10:05:13 am
why would the basketball coaches dislike it so much? do v-ball  players not workout? is it not for the kids? dont get me wrong i love basketball, but i think if a sport is offered and a kid can fit it in his or her schedule  then let em play all of them they want

Basketball coaches, as well as other coaches these days, want the players to themselves.  They want them going to summer camps in their sport.  It's not about conditioning it's about working on shots, plays, getting ready for the upcoming season.
Russellville has some Jr High Coaches that flat out lie, to the girls, to keep them out of softball.  Softball takes away from girl's 9th grade track and off season basketball.

T-Wacker

Quote from: Valleysports on August 11, 2008, 07:50:55 am
Quote from: unblockable1 on August 10, 2008, 10:05:13 am

Basketball coaches, as well as other coaches these days, want the players to themselves.  They want them going to summer camps in their sport.  It's not about conditioning it's about working on shots, plays, getting ready for the upcoming season.
Russellville has some Jr High Coaches that flat out lie, to the girls, to keep them out of softball.  Softball takes away from girl's 9th grade track and off season basketball.

Exactly, just like VB coaches are lying to kids keeping them out of AAU basketball (and softball). All coaches are under pressure to win and they want the best athletes on their teams. One big draw that the basketball coaches have over the volleyball & softball coaches are scholarships in college. Hard to get a full ride in VB and impossible in SB. BB can get full rides even in DII, where they are not likely in other sports.

7AFBFAN

I heard Southside all state player Katy Beth Carlson transferred to Greenwood, if so Greenwood will be tough to beat, that will mean they have the two best volleyball players in the area if not the state.

Valleysports

I posted that Fayetteville & Southside was our 2 & 3 games, guess who's our 1st game? Greenwood.  Guess we hit the Jackpot!  ::)

7AFBFAN

Her sister played for Greenwood last year so I assume they moved. I figure it is legit without a doubt since she played for a high profile volleyball team before she moved and she is also one of the best players in the state. Greenwood now has a chance to win state for the first time in volleyball. They lost someone who is comparable to Carlson through graduation so it is not a sure thing but I do like their chances.

7AFBFAN

Sounds like Russellville will have a tough start to the season. Maybe they can feed off the Southside and Greenwood games and make a run at their own conference.

Valleysports

August 16, 2008, 10:53:40 pm #29 Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 04:03:57 am by Valleysports
 8)

elvis26

hey valleysports has your team open their season yet? trumann opened their season last night. we beat west memphis and bay but lost to wynne at wynne. i was very pleased with our start though. we have several transfer players to join our team this year. my niece is a sophmore on this years team. i hope your team has a great season!!
                           sincerely
                          elvis26

Valleysports

August 23, 2008, 05:25:17 am #31 Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:35:58 am by Valleysports
elvis 26, it's good to hear from the eastern side of the state.  Sounds like a good start for Trumann.  We might need a 3A, 4A, etc, game result category or something as the season get's rolling. 

Russellville's first game is monday with Greenwood, followed by Fayetteville and Southside, before conference starts.  I'm not sure what to expect, but playing strong west teams ought to help us get ready for the Central 7A.  We should be a lot stronger at the end of the season than the beginning, girls are still being shuffled around.  Understand we'll be short a starter monday.  ::)   

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas