• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7A 2016 Pre-Season MONEY POLL

Started by 3 Dollar, December 07, 2015, 09:42:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3 Dollar

December 07, 2015, 09:42:58 am Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:46:53 am by 3 Dollar
Thought it might be nice to have a little more to discuss during these long winter months:

1...North Little Rock
2...Bryant
3...Cabot
4...Fayetteville
5...Van Buren
6...Springdale Har-Ber
7...Rogers
8...Conway
9...Fort Smith Southside
10..Rogers Heritage

pruff

December 07, 2015, 10:12:11 am #1 Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:40:34 am by pruff

pruff

December 07, 2015, 10:20:54 am #2 Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:01:04 am by pruff
1. NLR
2. Bentonville
3. Rogers
4.Bryant
5.Cabot
6. Heritage
7.Conway
8. Fayetteville
9. Southside
10. Springdale

WPWells

pruff

I don't hate Fayetteville. And I don't love Rogers

pruff

Rogers has really good pitching. Fayetteville has a couple good players.

pruff

mack

pruff

Quote from: mack on December 08, 2015, 01:34:10 pm
1]  NLR

2] thru 10]-  ?

Until someone proves otherwise, you are correct.

mack

Quote from: pruff on December 08, 2015, 03:15:44 pm
1]  NLR

2] thru 10]-  ?

I probably should have elaborated.  I know absolutely zilch, nada, squat about any of the other teams, with the exception of NLR's conference opponents.
I based my prediction on historical assumptions about NLR softball, and the fact they have quite a few returning starters.  NWA always provides great challenges come tournament time.

LowerAR

Quote from: mack on December 09, 2015, 09:06:38 am
1]  NLR

2] thru 10]-  ?

I probably should have elaborated.  I know absolutely zilch, nada, squat about any of the other teams, with the exception of NLR's conference opponents.
I based my prediction on historical assumptions about NLR softball, and the fact they have quite a few returning starters.  NWA always provides great challenges come tournament time.
No, No, No, come on mack, stick to your guns. If you are right then you look like a genius, and if your wrong we get to watch you eat crow; very entertaining. ;D   

NWAsoftballjunkie

Simply my opinion but its a 4 horse race.  NLR, Bryant, Rogers and Bentonville.  No disrespect to the other 6-8 teams that will argue to be listed in the top 10, those are the 4 horses right now.  There are a lot of quality players and parity through the 7A, so anyone will be able to beat anyone on this list any given night but again, those are the 4 horses with a real shot for the title.  I can't wait to see how it all shakes up with very competitive conferences anything is possible.

mack

Quote from: LowerAR on December 10, 2015, 09:27:23 am
Quote from: mack on December 09, 2015, 09:06:38 am
1]  NLR

2] thru 10]-  ?

No, No, No, come on mack, stick to your guns. If you are right then you look like a genius, and if your wrong we get to watch you eat crow; very entertaining. ;D   

I have lots of great crow recipes.  Over the years I've eaten it many times.  Usually it's related to football.... Rarely softball🤓

ST

BIG_K

;D  No! Just a washed up oldtimer!  ;D

mack

Quote from: ST on January 12, 2016, 06:43:31 am
Is it time for me to come back?

Not till NLR wins it's 4th. state championship in a row................

ST

Quote from: mack on January 12, 2016, 09:43:59 am
Quote from: ST on January 12, 2016, 06:43:31 am
Is it time for me to come back?

Not till NLR wins it's 4th. state championship in a row................

I am hearing good things out of Bryant for this year. New Coach (well, not really new) but you know she always has her teams prepared. Excited to see what she can do with this group.

unw1red

Rogers has a 2019 pitcher that is in the top 20 recruits of her class in the nation. Maybe even top 10. They will be a force to reckon with if they can get any kind of run support for her. She is committed to Notre Dame.

As far as overall talent, I believe Bentonville would have that. It is up to Coach Early to put the right lineup on the field to take advantage of their raw, offensive talent.

Time will tell.

mack

Quote from: unw1red on February 04, 2016, 02:17:57 pm
Rogers has a 2019 pitcher that is in the top 20 recruits of her class in the nation. Maybe even top 10. They will be a force to reckon with if they can get any kind of run support for her. She is committed to Notre Dame.

As far as overall talent, I believe Bentonville would have that. It is up to Coach Early to put the right lineup on the field to take advantage of their raw, offensive talent.

Time will tell.

Early is one of the best.  But, I'll have to disagree on most overall talent.  NLR is loaded again, Cabot will be good and Bryant according to the well respected ST, will be a force.

I'll wager the title stays in Central Arkansas as usual.

pruff

February 08, 2016, 10:09:08 am #19 Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:55:28 am by pruff
Should be a good year!!!

unw1red

Quote from: mack on February 08, 2016, 09:10:54 am
Early is one of the best.  But, I'll have to disagree on most overall talent.  NLR is loaded again, Cabot will be good and Bryant according to the well respected ST, will be a force.

I'll wager the title stays in Central Arkansas as usual.

I am curious to what your criteria would be to state Early is one of the best. Players that go on to D1 schools? State championships? Academics? Consistency?

In my humble opinion, the proof is in the pudding.

Runfastturnleft

Quote from: unw1red on February 18, 2016, 10:10:20 am
I am curious to what your criteria would be to state Early is one of the best. Players that go on to D1 schools? State championships? Academics? Consistency?

The fact that his teams are consistently well-prepared, well-coached, and well-disciplined.  He does a great job coaching what talent he has and adapting to the strengths of this team.  There are not many who care more or work as hard as him and his staff.  Very consistent

I have seen coaches with D1 kids that did absolutely nothing to help them get there.  I have also seen coaches that have won MULTIPLE titles that do no real coaching so that is not a good indicator.  Sorry. 

LowerAR

I'm going to have to agree with you on what you see with an Early team. The guy is dedicated and really works his girls. I like that, but I might not like it so much if my DD played for him. You just never know until you have to get up close and personal everyday. We have taken our DD to the UAM camp nearly every year and I have talked to him several times. I don't know another coach that I would rather my DD played for, but several I would just as soon she play for. I would consider him one of the best; not that I know them all.     

unw1red

The high schools in Bentonville will split next year. The new high school, Bentonville West, will only have freshmen through juniors the first year. This will hold true in all of their sports. It will be interesting to see who is hired as the coach of West and how they perform without any senior leadership.

A coach's objective is to make their players better during the time that they have them. It is the ability to nurture their God given skills and make them into a player they otherwise wouldn't be. It is about the sense of team and every player wanting their fellow teammates to succeed in both athletics and life. Competition is not about being better than another player, it is about you being better than you were yesterday. If you believe competition to be about others on your team vs you, you no longer have a team, you have fear.

In today's situation, high school softball coaches are simply "borrowing" girls from travel ball and they can either embrace that or lie to themselves about the importance to their program.

Of course, this is only my opinion.

LowerAR

I will agree with what you've said, to a point. I do know some High School Coaches who are interested in helping girls get better and make it at the next level, but I believe most are doing what they get payed to do; take what they've got and try to win ball games for the school. Some are sorry at that. I believe many lie to themselves about the impact they have on the future of the girls. It is funny to me to watch some coaches try to coach players that know more about the game than they ever will. I for one do not ask that a coach to get my daughter to the next level or anthing else. I did that. All I want from our coach is to put the best they've got on the field and try to win for their school. I usually get in trouble for my thoughts, but that is fine. But their are some good High School Coaches and some are not at traditional winning schools. In higher classifications it is all about the travel ball players that come in to the program; you can't compete with schools that have 20 A & B class freshmen working to earn spots if all you have is 10 to try out and 5 have never played before, but in smaller schools it can be about teaching and grooming. A good coach knows when to get out of the way as well as the game and the girls.               

BIG_K

February 22, 2016, 01:05:26 pm #25 Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 02:48:23 pm by BIG_K
Quote from: unw1red on February 19, 2016, 10:09:36 am
The high schools in Bentonville will split next year. The new high school, Bentonville West, will only have freshmen through juniors the first year. This will hold true in all of their sports. It will be interesting to see who is hired as the coach of West and how they perform without any senior leadership.

A coach's objective is to make their players better during the time that they have them. It is the ability to nurture their God given skills and make them into a player they otherwise wouldn't be. It is about the sense of team and every player wanting their fellow teammates to succeed in both athletics and life. Competition is not about being better than another player, it is about you being better than you were yesterday. If you believe competition to be about others on your team vs you, you no longer have a team, you have fear.

In today's situation, high school softball coaches are simply "borrowing" girls from travel ball and they can either embrace that or lie to themselves about the importance to their program.

;D

mack

Quote from: unw1red on February 19, 2016, 10:09:36 am

Yes, it is your opinion, an opinion shared by most on here.  I'm one of the dissenters to a small extent.  That may be true for even the majority of programs, but when you get to programs like NLR, Bentonville, Fayetteville, Lake Hamilton, Foreman etc., the coaching enhances what the girls learn in travel ball.  I can't speak to the detailed practices that those schools I mentioned have, but I have seen countless game situations that were well coached. I can speak to the countless NLR practices as I have seen, and I know for a fact they build and  help grow what the girls have learned in travel ball.

mack

Quote from: unw1red on February 18, 2016, 10:10:20 am

I'd echo what LowerAr said.  I've talked to parents of girls that have gone through his program.  I've sat in the bleachers and watched several games between BV and NLR, and been very impressed by his coaching.

LowerAR

Well I give coaches a tough time because well that is what I do and I believe they deserve it if they are not interested in the players. But in all seriousness I must say, it is a rough job. I have helped coach teams since my DD started playing 8 years ago, and I would only do it for someone I loved a lot. They get paid, but not nearly enough. Bad hours, long rides, missed family time, to be repaid by heartache and disappointment. I believe few are in it for the right reason, but I figure that there are only a few who know what their doing and for the right reason. Think about it. I try not to complain about the ones that I feel are good or decent because there are so many others. There are good coaches out there and some are real good.         

pruff

I know this, a high school coaches success relies solely on how many travel ball players they have, and coach early has a bunch.

Runfastturnleft

Quote from: pruff on February 29, 2016, 07:18:22 pm
I know this, a high school coaches success relies solely on how many travel ball players they have, and coach early has a bunch.

Not true in all cases.  The right "travel ball" players can help.  Some "travel ball coaches" aren't coaching either.  They are recruiting talent so their DD can win some local class C ASA tournaments in the summer to make them feel better.

Just saying. 

pruff

Name a high school in the last 10 years that's won a state title without travel ball kids.

Runfastturnleft

Quote from: pruff on March 01, 2016, 10:59:49 am
Name a high school in the last 10 years that's won a state title without travel ball kids.

Not my point.  Of course the better players will play travel ball in the summer.  Just making the point that just because your team has "travel ball players" does not insure success.  You still have to coach them, unless ones is a stud pitcher of course.

LowerAR

March 01, 2016, 01:10:40 pm #33 Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:13:02 pm by LowerAR
Quote from: Runfastturnleft on March 01, 2016, 08:46:12 am
Not true in all cases.  The right "travel ball" players can help.  Some "travel ball coaches" aren't coaching either.  They are recruiting talent so their DD can win some local class C ASA tournaments in the summer to make them feel better.

Just saying.
Ya'll are both right. Some travel is super competitive, while some is not. Most girls who are at the top end of the sport have personal trainers for hitting, pitching and everything in between. Some travel coaches are no more than many of your highschool coaches. Great players work a lot at the sport, somewhere. Coaches of anykind can help a player, some do, some don't. The more time a girl plays, will usually make her better, so it is just desire that has a lot to do with it. I'm going to say that an area that a player comes from will make a big difference. Girls in Saline Co. are good because of the competition and training available there.
Just my opinion.         

mack

Quote from: pruff on March 01, 2016, 10:59:49 am

That's like saying name a high school basketball team that's won a basketball title without AAU kids.    Only us softball dads are arrogant enough to think the only coaching our girls get is from our summer participation.  You don't hear that from basketball dads.  They realize the high school coach does his/her part in the kids success.

pruff

There's a big difference between a hs basketball coach and a hs softball coach, at most schools.

mack

Quote from: pruff on March 09, 2016, 06:49:19 pm
There's a big difference between a hs basketball coach and a hs softball coach, at most schools.

Not at NLR, not at Bentonville, not at Fayetteville, not at Lake Hamilton, not at Foreman and so on.................................................

I realize you said most, and that may be true.

LowerAR

The thing is that good coaches do care and put out effort. We played travel ball with a bunch of Benton girls last year, and the coach came by and watched some and kept in touch with her girls during the games. I have seen Early take his entire team to the UAM camp every year. Now many coaches don't care outside of season, but some do. My thing with many coaches is they don't want to be there; they want to coach baseball or something else. It shows, but don't lump them all together. Softball parents do care, and they are going to be involved, even a pain sometimes, but if you aren't ready for that as a coach; do something else.   

NWAsoftballjunkie

I would tend to agree with LowerAR here.  There are a handful of HS coaches in the state that actually want to be coaching softball and those coaches produce quality teams year in and year out.  Their passion and attention show up in their actions and the actions of their players.  If your DD has the opportunity to play for one of these coaches your are in good hands.  Not that you will always agree with the decisions they make on playing time or on the field, but your DD will improve in their program.

As far as travel ball is concerned, it's a craps shoot.  Some teams / organizations put a lot of emphasis on player development and playing at the highest competitive level they can compete at.  You don't see most of those teams to often playing in state, they truly travel to find high quality tournaments with lots of games and competition.  If you end up with multiple of these players on a HS team, watch out.  The flip side of that is more regional travel teams.  These teams can have some very talented players and passionate coaches but for multiple reasons they primarily play more local or regional tournaments.  Most of the time this is cost / expense driven as it's unbelievably expensive to play at the highest national levels.  Typically these teams have players that live closer geographically and end up on the same HS teams.  If you get these players in with one of the high level coaches mentioned above, the sparks can really fly and great things can be accomplished.

mack

Quote from: LowerAR on March 10, 2016, 09:59:35 am
The thing is that good coaches do care and put out effort. We played travel ball with a bunch of Benton girls last year, and the coach came by and watched some and kept in touch with her girls during the games. I have seen Early take his entire team to the UAM camp every year. Now many coaches don't care outside of season, but some do. My thing with many coaches is they don't want to be there; they want to coach baseball or something else. It shows, but don't lump them all together. Softball parents do care, and they are going to be involved, even a pain sometimes, but if you aren't ready for that as a coach; do something else.   

Pain... sometimes?  ;-)

97softballmom

One coach who rarely gets recognized for his efforts is Coach Harper at Rogers.  He starts working with many of his girls at the age off 11 or 12 years old and helps them become successful in the game as well as in life.  Couldn't have asked for a better coach for my daughter for 4 years.  She is now playing at the college level and has learned even more appreciation for what he has taught her.  He helped to make her mentally tough and he even warmed her heart a week or so ago sending her a text wishing her luck on her weekend. 

ST

Just wondering if I should jump in on this.lol. I once knew a group of 7th graders that would have beaten most high school teams at that age. Just sayin.lol.

LowerAR

Quote from: mack on March 11, 2016, 01:01:00 pm
Pain... sometimes?  ;-)
OK, maybe understated some, but I will admit it. Parents of this demographic are going to be protective of their girls, and I'm going to say that that is a good thing. The raising of that girl should be the top priority. Is that going to make it tough for coaches of these girls; yea! Do I care that some guy who wants to coach baseball or wants any job except PE coach is blown away by parents; well no. Are to many parents jerks; yea, but if they don't understand that that is people in general today, don't expect sympathy, because everybody deals with that everyday. Good coaches learn to get along with most parents and still maintain a certain level of cooperation within the team. Is it easy; no, and if they don't like it, they should get out.           

mack

Quote from: LowerAR on March 16, 2016, 10:06:12 am
OK, maybe understated some, but I will admit it. Parents of this demographic are going to be protective of their girls, and I'm going to say that that is a good thing. The raising of that girl should be the top priority. Is that going to make it tough for coaches of these girls; yea! Do I care that some guy who wants to coach baseball or wants any job except PE coach is blown away by parents; well no. Are to many parents jerks; yea, but if they don't understand that that is people in general today, don't expect sympathy, because everybody deals with that everyday. Good coaches learn to get along with most parents and still maintain a certain level of cooperation within the team. Is it easy; no, and if they don't like it, they should get out.           

I always respected my daughters coaches at NLR.  They had a team/parent meeting before each season.  They outlined what role the parents could expect to fill.  A parent could come to him any time to talk about what their daughter needed to work on to get more playing time.  He would not allow them to come to him and complain that their kid wasn't playing, wouldn't even discuss it.  I liked him setting the expectations upfront. 

LowerAR

Quote from: mack on March 16, 2016, 11:17:25 am
I always respected my daughters coaches at NLR.  They had a team/parent meeting before each season.  They outlined what role the parents could expect to fill.  A parent could come to him any time to talk about what their daughter needed to work on to get more playing time.  He would not allow them to come to him and complain that their kid wasn't playing, wouldn't even discuss it.  I liked him setting the expectations upfront.
I have treated every coach that we have ever played for with respect, that is what God requires of us daily. Many parents will not though. I could bore you with the trials that we have had, but I doubt you would believe me anyway. I'm not sure that someone from NLR is a good person to confide in anyway because from what I've seen through the last 4 years is pretty much quality. Look at the record and who they play. The only time I have argued with our coach was on a 50 degree rainy night during practice when my freshmen daughter was sent off to warm up to pitch and the other pitchers refused to warm up with her and she was left with no one to throw with, and just before she was thrown on the mound I spoke up and was told that she should have warmed up in her glove. This from a coach who got a pitcher hurt the year before by having her full pitch a heavy ball. I'm not sure what you know about pitching but I will assume that you know what I'm talking about. I will not start to tell you how you should view coaches and coaching, but if you have never experienced the good the bad and the ugly you probably will not understand the pain some deal with everyday. I have never argued playing time or who's better on any team, but hurting players is outrageous. I know that parents put on there mommy goggles and see only what they want to see. They don't treat coaches like humans much of the time, but not everytime a person that screams injustice are  they wrong, maybe most of the time, but not all.                     

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas