• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Balls used by kickers

Started by mijally, October 11, 2014, 11:32:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mijally

Are there rules that allow or prohibit kickers from using or bringing their own dry  football to place kick?

Rulesman

It is up to the Referee to determine whether or not a ball needs to be replaced for any down.

mijally

So the answer is "no" correct?

Rulesman

The answer to the OP, in the context in which it was asked, is no.

mijally

Thank you. I've noticed some refs don't seem to care and some do so I was just curious if there was an actual rule about it.

Busman

No such thing as a kicking ball.  All balls that will be used should be checked in at the beginning of the game and will just be in the rotation, kicking down or not.

chairz

Quote from: mijally on October 11, 2014, 11:32:27 am
Are there rules that allow or prohibit kickers from using or bringing their own dry  football to place kick?

You can use any ball on the start of a new series or for a free kick.  So if the kick is on 1st down he could use any ball.  Also for free kicks (kickoff, kick after safety or fair catch) they can use any ball they want.

football_referee

No they can't use "any" ball they want.  The ball has to be approved by the officials before the game.   It has to be new or nearly new

ricepig

Quote from: football_referee on October 19, 2014, 03:23:36 pm
No they can't use "any" ball they want.  The ball has to be approved by the officials before the game.   It has to be new or nearly new

What about football's on cold nights placed in a "warmer"?

Rulesman

I don't see a problem with that so long as the ball(s) has/have been approved by the Referee and are inflated properly. IMO, invoking the "unfair acts" clause in Rule 9-9-1 would be a stretch.

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on October 20, 2014, 07:29:04 am

What about football's on cold nights placed in a "warmer"?

I know we're talking about football here...but there is a rule in the baseball rule book that the bats cannot be warmed up in any way.  I've never heard of a rule that the footballs can't be but you never know.

True Fan

Let's say that the official on the field us satisfied with the ball. The offense decides to kick a FG and brings out their heated kicking ball. Wouldn't it be up to the official to decide if the ball needed to be changed, and if not, send the new ball back to the sideline?

Seems like I've seen that done.

arreferee

Quote from: True Fan on October 20, 2014, 11:30:33 am
Let's say that the official on the field us satisfied with the ball. The offense decides to kick a FG and brings out their heated kicking ball. Wouldn't it be up to the official to decide if the ball needed to be changed, and if not, send the new ball back to the sideline?

Seems like I've seen that done.

If the officials on the field are satisfied with the ball, they shouldn't allow a new ball to come into the game just because the offense wants to kick a field goal. 

I actually had a similar situation this past weekend.  The kicking team punted, the receiving team caught the punt, ran a few yards, fumbled, and the kicking team recovered.  I got the ball after the recovery and threw it back in to be put down for the next play.  When I got back to the sideline, the ball boy said they wanted a new ball because that one was the kicking ball (it had been approved and marked by our crew before the game).  I just told him there was no such thing as a kicking ball and the one out there was fine. 

mijally

If there's no such thing as a kicking ball then why was your crew marking one as such before the game?

Rulesman

Quote from: mijally on October 22, 2014, 11:14:17 pm
If there's no such thing as a kicking ball then why was your crew marking one as such before the game?
All approved game balls are marked before the game. Any one of those can be used on any down, including kicking downs. Except in the NFL, no ball is specifically a "kicking" ball.

BigR

Aaaaaaaagh!

All "marked" balls are kicking balls.

And passing balls, handing off balls, etc...

arreferee

Quote from: mijally on October 22, 2014, 11:14:17 pm

We marked all of the balls the team gave to us and made sure they were new or nearly new and were properly inflated.  The team wanted to use a specific one as the kicking ball.  That isn't something we will work around when we don't need a new ball brought into the game. 

mijally

Ok. I understand. Thought you were marking "k" balls. Just marking them for play. Makes sense.

arreferee

Quote from: mijally on October 24, 2014, 01:43:21 pm
Ok. I understand. Thought you were marking "k" balls. Just marking them for play. Makes sense.

That's exactly right.  The team can put a "K" on it if they want, but they aren't guaranteed to always get it in during kick plays.

OB11

Quote from: arreferee on October 24, 2014, 01:57:32 pm

That's exactly right.  The team can put a "K" on it if they want, but they aren't guaranteed to always get it in during kick plays.

So if a team wants to put a new ball (approved ball) in the game after every play, it is up to the referee to decide if they can or not?

ricepig

I've never seen a team not get to use one on their kickoff. The PAT is gathered up by the ball boys and the kicker is given a ball to kickoff with.

chairz

Quote from: arreferee on October 20, 2014, 11:39:19 am
Quote from: True Fan on October 20, 2014, 11:30:33 amI actually had a similar situation this past weekend.  The kicking team punted, the receiving team caught the punt, ran a few yards, fumbled, and the kicking team recovered.  I got the ball after the recovery and threw it back in to be put down for the next play.  When I got back to the sideline, the ball boy said they wanted a new ball because that one was the kicking ball (it had been approved and marked by our crew before the game).  I just told him there was no such thing as a kicking ball and the one out there was fine.

You have to allow whichever ball they want at the start of a series or for a free kick. You were wrong to not allow the ball to be changed.

chairz

Really? Thanks for the tip!  ::)

arreferee

October 27, 2014, 10:20:49 am #23 Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:24:11 am by arreferee
Quote from: chairz on October 25, 2014, 03:10:52 pm
Quote from: True Fan on October 20, 2014, 11:30:33 amI actually had a similar situation this past weekend.  The kicking team punted, the receiving team caught the punt, ran a few yards, fumbled, and the kicking team recovered.  I got the ball after the recovery and threw it back in to be put down for the next play.  When I got back to the sideline, the ball boy said they wanted a new ball because that one was the kicking ball (it had been approved and marked by our crew before the game).  I just told him there was no such thing as a kicking ball and the one out there was fine.

You have to allow whichever ball they want at the start of a series or for a free kick. You were wrong to not allow the ball to be changed.

Not quite.  Rule 1-3-2-g says "When the ball becomes dead in a side zone, is unfit for play, is subject to measurement in a side zone or is inaccessible, a replacement ball shall be obtained from a ball person".

arreferee

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2014, 05:15:07 pm

I've never seen a team not get to use one on their kickoff. The PAT is gathered up by the ball boys and the kicker is given a ball to kickoff with.

A kickoff is a natural time to get a new ball.  The old example of when not to get a new ball is when the team decides to kick a field goal on 3rd down.  They can't bring in a "kicking ball" just because they want to kick on that down...especially if the previous play did not end up out of bounds, was an incomplete pass, etc.

Rulesman

Quote from: arreferee on October 27, 2014, 10:23:47 am
Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2014, 05:15:07 pm
The old example of when not to get a new ball is when the team decides to kick a field goal on 3rd down.  They can't bring in a "kicking ball" just because they want to kick on that down...
...It's not that some won't try, though... :)

True Fan

Why not? Most of the time, it will be allowed.

Rulesman

October 27, 2014, 03:56:01 pm #27 Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:12:37 pm by Rulesman
Quote from: True Fan on October 27, 2014, 02:31:06 pm
Why not? Most of the time, it will be allowed.
And when it isn't, who do you think the bad guy is?

True Fan

Mean ole officials. Trying to show everybody who is in charge out there. ;)

chairz

Quote from: arreferee on October 27, 2014, 10:20:49 amNot quite.  Rule 1-3-2-g says "When the ball becomes dead in a side zone, is unfit for play, is subject to measurement in a side zone or is inaccessible, a replacement ball shall be obtained from a ball person".

No one except you is talking about NCAA rules.  NFHS rules say, "Each team may use any referee-approved ball of its choice to free kick or start a new series of downs."

So if they just got awarded a first down or of it's a free kick then they can pick the ball that they want.

arreferee

Quote from: chairz on November 02, 2014, 03:25:55 pm
Quote from: arreferee on October 27, 2014, 10:20:49 amNot quite.  Rule 1-3-2-g says "When the ball becomes dead in a side zone, is unfit for play, is subject to measurement in a side zone or is inaccessible, a replacement ball shall be obtained from a ball person".

No one except you is talking about NCAA rules.  NFHS rules say, "Each team may use any referee-approved ball of its choice to free kick or start a new series of downs."

So if they just got awarded a first down or of it's a free kick then they can pick the ball that they want.

Fair enough.  I was thinking the NFHS rule and NCAA rule was the same on this.  I guess it's not.

Rulesman

Quote from: chairz on November 02, 2014, 03:25:55 pm

...so long as that ball has been approved by the referee. Let's be clear on that.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas