• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top 10 high school basketball players in Arkansas

Started by bystander, June 04, 2014, 07:50:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

arkhoops94

Yeah he played with the hawks in the real deal in the rock

A-Good-One

Yes, he probably belongs, but no one worth their salt is taking what a kid does in the summer league - AAU or otherwise - on to how they translate to the HS ranks. Summer League gives a good idea of whether their game is college-ready or not, but that's pretty much it.

TheMercenary

Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on October 23, 2014, 03:22:34 pm
Yes, he probably belongs, but no one worth their salt is taking what a kid does in the summer league - AAU or otherwise - on to how they translate to the HS ranks. Summer League gives a good idea of whether their game is college-ready or not, but that's pretty much it.

I had to read this three times before I could wrap my mind around what you just said.......but I think I figured it out.

Any kid that has success in the summer, but doesn't do much in High School- has a crappy High School Coach!  Or I guess there are some really good players that can't exactly carry a team but need other talented players around them to shine.

BigMan15

Depends some players are better with a run and run travel or aau team thrn a half court offense in high school....for example my son averaged more than 25 ppg in aau but during the season averaged 10....granted my son was 13-14 going againest his age...when last year in season only 14yrs old againest 15-18 yrs old

A-Good-One

Right. How many times do you see kids who do well in the summer then so-so in HS games? Quite a bit.

BigMan15

Think about it aau u cant guard just one player....high school sonetimes they will run box and one defense or double team...aau man defense almost one on one...

WPWells

AAU defense is let them dribble by and try to tip it out from behind

AAU and defense don't belong in the same sentence

BigMan15

Defense is not like it was 10 yrs ago...ive seen some let the guy past him just to try to pin it on the backboard...

WPWells

That's not defense that will get you to college. That's not the kind of defense you see in high school. That's AAU defense

A-Good-One

Yup. It's a joke. And precisely why I'm not putting kids who dominated in AAU (or *any* summer league) on my list if I've never seen them in person. And definitely not before they've even played a single HS game in this state.

BigMan15

Ill put it this way my son shouldnt be on this list yet....but at a aau tournament in russellville in 8th grade i watched him score 59 points...impressive but not as impressive as when he scored 23 in the first half of a senior high basketball game as a freshman....

urban legend2

Quote from: Eagle20 on October 19, 2014, 05:00:44 pm
Dr. Chim did you see ECS and NLR play last year?  the sop guard from ECS (not freeman) was arguably the best guard on the floor that night.  No better comparison than head to head.
I think you're talking about Kelvin Robertson. He's definitely a player. Has the potential to play D-I, but right now, I see him as a really good D-II guard. Very good player. Martin can definitely play at a lower level D-I school. The only knock on either is their size. They're in that 5-11-6-0 size range.

arkhoops94

I will say this, scoring 59 points is impressive no matter what tournement it is it takes a great player to do that. But there is a huge difference in hoopplay tournaments in Arkansas than there is at the national level in AAU tournements in Dallas and Orlando etc. especially if they want to get exposure. Y'all are right about the defense. It is poor, but I watched the 15u Arkansas Hawks this summer and they played full court man to man defense to perfection. That's where most of their points came from. They were well coached in AAU and in high school. Players came from Parkview, NLR, LR Central, LR Fair, Louisana, and a kid from Ozark joined them in July. The coach at PV, Al Flanagin seems to be a good coach, everyone I've talked to only have good things to say about him.

BigMan15

I know the kid from ozark he played with my son before he went to the hawks...as far as size my son is a 6'4 guard with deep range but still has to work on his defense and ball handling....as far as scoring he can score just about whenever he wants...he dropped in 20-25 with ben madison on him...not on here to boost my sons stats but just telling u in high school size matters a lot...a 6'4 guard as a sophmore will be noticed...over a good 6'0-5'11 guard...

MA

Not one mention of Biggie Goldman from Lincoln? Dang people... The kid is 6'9 and still growing. Has NBA range. Shot 42% from 3 last season as a 6'7 junior. Shoots about 85% on the gun. Has guard skills. Passes as well as anyone in the state. And blocks a lot of shots.

No offers yet. Really late bloomer and really young senior. But people know who he is. They will be in Lincoln this year to watch him.

Interest from:
Arkansas St
SEMO
UALR
American
Iona
DePaul
Indiana
Maryland
Gonzaga
Wisconsin

Has gotten interest in the form of letters and phone calls from almost 20 D1's. He's the real deal. If he was a junior instead of a senior he might be top 150 after this coming season and summer. He's about to blow up.

BigMan15

I havent seen him but my son has played againest him last year....very talented and can shoot the three well...

arkhoops94

BigMan15 you are right, size matters. And a 6'4 guard with good speed and agility will get noticed. The hawks two guards was both under 6 ft but they were real quick and played great defense. Also were playmakers. The two small fowards was 6'3 kid from Ozark and 6'5 kid from Central. The PF and C was a kid from Parkview and Javon Franklin(6'6 & 6'7)  and that was a small lineup compared to the teams they played in Dallas, but they still went 7-0 and won the tournement. You're right though size matters in high school. Thats why Arkansas Baptist is gonna be tough in the 4-4A. To guys down low that are 6'10 & 7'1. There isn't a team in that conference that anyone to compare to them.

arkhoops94

Quote from: krik6 on October 24, 2014, 09:49:36 am
Not one mention of Biggie Goldman from Lincoln? Dang people... The kid is 6'9 and still growing. Has NBA range. Shot 42% from 3 last season as a 6'7 junior. Shoots about 85% on the gun. Has guard skills. Passes as well as anyone in the state. And blocks a lot of shots.

No offers yet. Really late bloomer and really young senior. But people know who he is. They will be in Lincoln this year to watch him.

Interest from:
Arkansas St
SEMO
UALR
American
Iona
DePaul
Indiana
Maryland
Gonzaga
Wisconsin

Has gotten interest in the form of letters and phone calls from almost 20 D1's. He's the real deal. If he was a junior instead of a senior he might be top 150 after this coming season and summer. He's about to blow up.
He is a great player, shoots the lights out and yeah that's scary... 6'9 small forward that is still growing. Lots of potential   

BigMan15

Quote from: arkhoops94 on October 24, 2014, 10:02:37 am
BigMan15 you are right, size matters. And a 6'4 guard with good speed and agility will get noticed. The hawks two guards was both under 6 ft but they were real quick and played great defense. Also were playmakers. The two small fowards was 6'3 kid from Ozark and 6'5 kid from Central. The PF and C was a kid from Parkview and Javon Franklin(6'6 & 6'7)  and that was a small lineup compared to the teams they played in Dallas, but they still went 7-0 and won the tournement. You're right though size matters in high school. Thats why Arkansas Baptist is gonna be tough in the 4-4A. To guys down low that are 6'10 & 7'1. There isn't a team in that conference that anyone to compare to them.

I have watched videos on the two boys from ab but i wasnt impressed they need to put on a lot of weight...they look like shawn bradley...if they were in 7a they would not be able to compete but in 4a they will do pretty good...a game to watch is ecs vs ab this year and we will see size vs talent...

PASS

Bigman15, let me get this straight, you watch video of the 2 kids from AB and weren't impressed. They need to put on weight....The junior played at 265 pounds last year & needed to lose some weight. The 7'1" freshman absolutely needs to add some weight. His skill set is extremely good for his age & size. Shoots the 3 extremely well. Has a mid range game & has some handles. He has been on unofficial visits to Arkansas, Alabama & Duke that I know of....probably more.
As far as playing at 7a level, they absolutely could. That's why the Hawks & Wings coaches came to multiple games last winter trying to convince them to play with them.

cdelaney

Quote from: Eagle20 on October 19, 2014, 05:00:44 pm
Dr. Chim did you see ECS and NLR play last year?  the sop guard from ECS (not freeman) was arguably the best guard on the floor that night.  No better comparison than head to head.
I think he is referring to Kelvin Robinson. He is stronger and more explosive than Freeman or Martin, outside shot less consistent, is also under 6 feet. He was the best player that night against NLR for the entire game and almost singlehandedly beat NLR, but props to Allen and Beard who made the plays in the last two minutes to overtake the Wildcats (ECS wildcats I should say)
I can't begin to rank all of these players, but I agree with the concept of what do you really mean by Top 10? The best high school players right now? Or the best D1 prospects? Monk and Allen would probably be on the top of either list, but there are players who will be recruited to D1, even high D1, based on raw talent, potential, or size, who are not really good basketball players and who may never pan out. Look at the Razorback recruits over the past 10 years or so- pretty spotty. But there are also very good high school players who would not be able to compete at a high D1 level because they aren't big enough and they are already maxed out in terms of taking advantage of the talent. I am a 3A guy, and i would unfortunately put Mahlon Martin and Ward both in that category, at least for what we consider "high" D1. Kelvin I am not quite as sure about, I think his talent gives him a little better chance, but he is still small for high D1.

cdelaney

Quote from: PASS on October 24, 2014, 01:47:51 pm
Bigman15, let me get this straight, you watch video of the 2 kids from AB and weren't impressed. They need to put on weight....The junior played at 265 pounds last year & needed to lose some weight. The 7'1" freshman absolutely needs to add some weight. His skill set is extremely good for his age & size. Shoots the 3 extremely well. Has a mid range game & has some handles. He has been on unofficial visits to Arkansas, Alabama & Duke that I know of....probably more.
As far as playing at 7a level, they absolutely could. That's why the Hawks & Wings coaches came to multiple games last winter trying to convince them to play with them.
I have watched those brothers play around different leagues in LR for about 10 yrs. I will say their development has been pretty amazing, especially over the past 2 yrs. You can tell they have worked their butts off to  get better. I do think they will have an impact at the 4A level, and AB will be greatly improved. I think they are still miles away from Arkansas, Ala, or Duke, however. But they are tall, and if they get stronger and continue to improve every year, who knows?

cdelaney

Quote from: BigMan15 on October 24, 2014, 10:11:43 am

I have watched videos on the two boys from ab but i wasnt impressed they need to put on a lot of weight...they look like shawn bradley...if they were in 7a they would not be able to compete but in 4a they will do pretty good...a game to watch is ecs vs ab this year and we will see size vs talent...
The ECS vs AB game is early in the year, Nov 24 I think; and if ECS (or AB I guess, but I am not sure they will make playoffs?) is still in the FB playoffs, the game would be cancelled or re-scheduled. Same thing happened last year and they never could make it up. ECS only has 3 players and 1 starter who don't also play FB, so no BBall until football season is over.

urban legend2

Interest from:
Arkansas St
SEMO
UALR
American
Iona
DePaul
Indiana
Maryland
Gonzaga
Wisconsin

He stood out to me during that state tournament last year. He looks like he's has the potential to get even better and become a very good player. And you're right, the kid can really shoot the ball.

oldballer

Interest from:
Arkansas St
SEMO
UALR
American
Iona
DePaul
Indiana
Maryland
Gonzaga
Wisconsin

There is no doubt he can shoot the ball, but so can a lot of players when they are wide open. I was at the state tournament and he hit multiple shots and I have no idea as to why they weren't guarding him tighter. I can't see this kid playing D1 ball. D 1 is a whole other level of competition than he will have faced in high school.  I can see him playing mid level and down D II. You will always get "looks" at 6'9" but the strength, speed, rebounding and athletic ability just weren't there. The point is he is a SR this year and not a JR. A D II will more likely take on a project player than a D 1 will. The level of competiton is going to hurt him also. At 6'9" in the 4 A he better average 30 a game with 12 boards, 8 blocks, totally dominate and carry his team to some wins or those D 1 coaches will move on. You avg 20 a game on a team that goes 5-20 it's going to be hello NAIA!

oldballer

Does anyone know anything about the games scheduled at Bentonville High School for the Saturday after Thanksgiving that included Bentonville and Arkansas Baptist with 2 other out of state teams?

Eagle20

Quote from: oldballer on October 25, 2014, 05:24:08 pm
Does anyone know anything about the games scheduled at Bentonville High School for the Saturday after Thanksgiving that included Bentonville and Arkansas Baptist with 2 other out of state teams?

Eagle20

i am glad you are not a recruiter if you are not impressed with the younger one who is a 7'1" barefoot and in the 9th grade with great skills and can shoot the three legitimately.  I am glad he doesn't need your blessing.  He is on everyone's radar and has produced at the elite camps and just returned from the USA Under 18 basketball minicamp in Colorado Springs where he held his own against the top players in the nation.  You will be able to look back and eat those words later on.  Btw, he has gained 20 lbs the last couple of months. 

A-Good-One

Bingo, OldBaller on the Lincoln kid. He wasn't even the best player on his team last year.

BigMan15

if they win their conference this year i would be impressed but i would eat my words if they turn out to be high d1 talent...didnt know i was giving a blessing anyway... i was just letting u know how i felt didnt know that was a crime.....

Eagle20

No crime, just not a very smart analysis on the young one.  If there is a lock, he is it.  The older one will have his troubles at any level but continues to improve.  I didn't think he would be an effective high school player when I first saw him but he is deceiving in what he can do and is a hard worker.  He has made himself a player. 

A-Good-One

Just read the brothers looked competent, not extraordinary, today in Springdale.

BigMan15

Eagle20

Eagle20

Dr. chim the older one is competent but the younger one is special!  You will find out!  He is very young and post players take more time developing but he will be the most recruited kid coming out of Arkansas from the class of 2018

A-Good-One

Hope that happens. Better for basketball if whole state is producing more top-end talent. Boys hoops still has a long way to go in catching up with girls in that regard.

BigMan15

I agree i hope he does because i pull for any arkansas kids to excel esp around my sons age...

oldballer

Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on October 26, 2014, 07:25:33 pm
Hope that happens. Better for basketball if whole state is producing more top-end talent. Boys hoops still has a long way to go in catching up with girls in that regard.
That has a lot to do with football still being king in the State. In Northwest Arkansas I think there will be a larger number of kids move on to play basketball at some level in college. I don't know all of their names, but here are the ones that I think will make it somewhere. Chris Owen, Treshaun Gause - Springdale/ Tyreke Eckwood, Mason McNee - Harbour/ Ben Smith, Daniel Head - Bentonville/ Fayetteville has a kid about 6'8"/ Gravette has a 6'8" kid / Goldman - Lincoln / Iriquidi - Decatur I think there might be 1 from Siloam. Who needs to be added to this list. Excuse the spelling and please correct me if I am wrong on these kids.

cdelaney

Quote from: Eagle20 on October 26, 2014, 04:00:08 pm
Dr. chim the older one is competent but the younger one is special!  You will find out!  He is very young and post players take more time developing but he will be the most recruited kid coming out of Arkansas from the class of 2018
Hey Eagle a couple of questions about the brothers. Which one played in the game vs ECS this summer in summer league, and what grade are they in this year? I thought back in the old Boys Club league they were on the same team, so about the same age. But seems like from what I am reading the are ~3 grades apart?

cdelaney

Quote from: Eagle20 on October 26, 2014, 04:00:08 pm

PASS

The older 1 is a junior. He has a twin that is over 7'0" tall that does not play anymore. The younger brother is a 9th grader.

ar basketball fan

Senior Javonte' Ellis from Conway,  a 6'6" shooting guard probably the most underrated player in the state. Has great range, 44 % from deep last year.  Makes plays for others. Played a lot of pg over the summer,  looked really good attacking the rim.  Long and athletic plays solid defense. Recently sidelined with a broken hand,  rather than sitting around he's been in the gym working on footwork, improving his post game, and developing his left hand.  If Conway coaches open up the court,  you're going see him have a monster year.

MA

Quote from: oldballer on October 25, 2014, 05:15:05 pm

Interest from:
Arkansas St
SEMO
UALR
American
Iona
DePaul
Indiana
Maryland
Gonzaga
Wisconsin

There is no doubt he can shoot the ball, but so can a lot of players when they are wide open. I was at the state tournament and he hit multiple shots and I have no idea as to why they weren't guarding him tighter. I can't see this kid playing D1 ball. D 1 is a whole other level of competition than he will have faced in high school.  I can see him playing mid level and down D II. You will always get "looks" at 6'9" but the strength, speed, rebounding and athletic ability just weren't there. The point is he is a SR this year and not a JR. A D II will more likely take on a project player than a D 1 will. The level of competiton is going to hurt him also. At 6'9" in the 4 A he better average 30 a game with 12 boards, 8 blocks, totally dominate and carry his team to some wins or those D 1 coaches will move on. You avg 20 a game on a team that goes 5-20 it's going to be hello NAIA!

I'll say this and be done. Everyone gets their opinion.

If you haven't seen biggie in the past 2-3 months, then you're gonna be blown away. He was 6'7 165 last season. He is 6'9 190 now. He is not just a good shooter, he is the best shooter in arkansas in the 2015 class. Maybe the entire state. All he was asked to do last year was shoot. He did that well. He made 73 at 43%. What you didn't see was he can handle the ball like a guard, he has a mid range game, he has a post game, and he is one of the best passing big men I've been around. He has gained a ton of athleticism. He does need to improve on defense but I think he will surprise a lot of people this year. Last year he ran off screens and shot. This year he will cross you over, go down the lane and dunk on you. And he makes about 85% of his shots from deep in workouts. The D2's have bowed out. They came to see him and told them good luck, he's over our head. He's working with Fred Gulley a couple times a week. He's light years better than last year. Completely different player.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

oldballer

Quote from: krik6 on October 31, 2014, 10:48:06 pm

Interest from:
Arkansas St
SEMO
UALR
American
Iona
DePaul
Indiana
Maryland
Gonzaga
Wisconsin

If you haven't seen biggie in the past 2-3 months, then you're gonna be blown away. He was 6'7 165 last season. He is 6'9 190 now. He is not just a good shooter, he is the best shooter in arkansas in the 2015 class. Maybe the entire state. All he was asked to do last year was shoot. He did that well. He made 73 at 43%. What you didn't see was he can handle the ball like a guard, he has a mid range game, he has a post game, and he is one of the best passing big men I've been around. He has gained a ton of athleticism. He does need to improve on defense but I think he will surprise a lot of people this year. Last year he ran off screens and shot. This year he will cross you over, go down the lane and dunk on you. And he makes about 85% of his shots from deep in workouts. The D2's have bowed out. They came to see him and told them good luck, he's over our head. He's working with Fred Gulley a couple times a week. He's light years better than last year. Completely different player.

Kriik6 while you are enjoying that glass of "Biggie Kool-aid" I was doing a little research. I talked to several people in the NWA basketball circles that know this kid. He played with one of the Wings teams this summer and wasn't much of a contributor. Playing against top level talent he wasn't a standout player only average. The Lincoln schedule is full of 2 A and 3 A games so they may win some of those and he will probably get some inflated stats, but college coaches aren't stupid they take into consideration the level of competition. I hope this kid does get a big D 1 offer, but it boils down to this "You may look like a basketball player, you may act like a basketball player, but eventually you will have to prove you are a basketball player." I also watched his YOUTUBE video and remember this everyone looks good in a video unguarded doing drills. Not long till the 1st signing period so I guess time will tell. No offers yet should tell you something.

Sports Fan25

I don't know if his named has been mentioned or if he can be considered Top 10 in the whole state, but the Brewington kid from Pocahontas is pretty salty.  Senior 6'6-6'7 stretch 4 man who can shoot the cover off the ball and see the floor extremely well. Has really became a lot more athletic this summer and had possibly one of the best dunks in state last year over a 6'3 kid from Trumannn and developed an off the dribble game as well.  Kid is extremely long.  Gained 15-20lbs this off season as well. Not an AAU kid so not much is known about him on the college ranks other than low major/D2.  Heard he could be a JUCO kid and then be a big time recruit out of JUCO in next two years.

Eagle20

Quote from: Eagle20 on October 25, 2014, 08:04:45 pm

Arkhoops94, if you payed much attention to the summer circuit you would know what the younger Vanover is doing.  He started on the U15 Wings Elite team as an U14 kid.  That team was the National AAU runner up and he had many double doubles against the best competition in the nation so I can assure you he can compete at the 7A level.  You'll see.

BigMan15

Quote from: oldballer on November 02, 2014, 04:39:40 pm
Quote from: krik6 on October 31, 2014, 10:48:06 pm

Interest from:
Arkansas St
SEMO
UALR
American
Iona
DePaul
Indiana
Maryland
Gonzaga
Wisconsin

Kriik6 while you are enjoying that glass of "Biggie Kool-aid" I was doing a little research. I talked to several people in the NWA basketball circles that know this kid. He played with one of the Wings teams this summer and wasn't much of a contributor. Playing against top level talent he wasn't a standout player only average. The Lincoln schedule is full of 2 A and 3 A games so they may win some of those and he will probably get some inflated stats, but college coaches aren't stupid they take into consideration the level of competition. I hope this kid does get a big D 1 offer, but it boils down to this "You may look like a basketball player, you may act like a basketball player, but eventually you will have to prove you are a basketball player." I also watched his YOUTUBE video and remember this everyone looks good in a video unguarded doing drills. Not long till the 1st signing period so I guess time will tell. No offers yet should tell you something.

How did this kid do againest Charleston on Tuesday? ???

arkhoops94

Quote from: Eagle20 on November 10, 2014, 11:07:00 pm
Quote from: Eagle20 on October 25, 2014, 08:04:45 pm

Arkhoops94, if you payed much attention to the summer circuit you would know what the younger Vanover is doing.  He started on the U15 Wings Elite team as an U14 kid.  That team was the National AAU runner up and he had many double doubles against the best competition in the nation so I can assure you he can compete at the 7A level.  You'll see.
eagle20 I never said he couldn't compete with 7a level. I know they are very good players... I think you are talking about what Bigman15 said

BigMan15

So are u saying that he is better or just as good as mitchell smith from van buren?????

A-Good-One

Quote from: BigMan15 on November 13, 2014, 10:03:18 pm
So are u saying that he is better or just as good as mitchell smith from van buren?????

lol

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas