• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RZback

Ok, so I miss spoke.  The first guy to have a serious winning streak in 30 years after the "death penalty"  4 of his 6 years and all 4 in a row.  I would say Jones did the most for the resurrection of the program.  IMO.

bleudog

March 22, 2018, 01:09:35 pm #251 Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:36:38 am by bleudog
Quote from: RZback on March 22, 2018, 12:36:33 pm
Ok, so I miss spoke.  The first guy to have a serious winning streak in 30 years after the "death penalty"  4 of his 6 years and all 4 in a row.  I would say Jones did the most for the resurrection of the program.  IMO.

I'd agree.

SMU Mustangs - June Jones
2008 SMU    1–11                   0–8       6th (West)   
2009 SMU    8–5                     6–2       T–1st (West)     W Hawaii   
2010 SMU    7–7                     6–2       T–1st (West)     L Armed Forces   
2011 SMU    8–5                     5–3       3rd (West)        W BBVA Compass   
2012 SMU    7–6                     5–3       2nd (West)       W Hawaii 
2013 SMU    5–7                     4–4       5th   
2014 SMU    0–2 (resigned)     0–0       10th

RZback

I just wish I had more confidence in the new staff and recruiting.  I keep hearing rumors of us not progressing as fast as the staff would hope and that maybe the talent really isn't there.

gameoflife

Seems some of the shine is gone since the hiring.  I guess that is normal though, waiting for fall ball to start.

Valleysports

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 22, 2018, 06:02:14 am
Also we have been competitive in years with less talent and a worse coach than all the schools you mentioned. A few game changers can have a big effect and we will see what Morris can do. If he doesn't get it done then next man up.

That's why Jimbo is at A&M right

Maybe you didn't have as bad of coach as you thought you did when you were competitive with less talent.  Yes Jimbo and his staff is a major upgrade for A&M. Got to beat A&M this year....   

cuckoobird

bdubyab60

gameoflife

The last time I heard anything about the spring practices it was said that the offense seemed to be having quite a bit of trouble with the new offense.  Is that still the case?  I'm not sure we have the right QB for this offense just yet and recruiting will be so important at that position if we are going to be successful. How do Hog QB's look right now?

RZback

beach bum

Quote from: RZback on April 04, 2018, 04:53:18 pm
Offense has a long way yet to go.

The two QB's we have competing for the starting job tells me all I need know.... They are not even close to SEC caliber starters for a top level SEC program.

bdubyab60

This may be more of a chore than thought. Morris seems les than impressed when talking about some players.

Possibly some softness left from the old regime

gameoflife

Quote from: bdubyab60 on April 05, 2018, 09:34:59 pm
This may be more of a chore than thought. Morris seems les than impressed when talking about some players.

Possibly some softness left from the old regime

UA didn't get as bad as they are just because of bad coaching.  Poor talent compared to the SEC made serious win record not possible. 

AirWarren

RZback

Quote from: gameoflife on April 06, 2018, 08:39:37 pm
UA didn't get as bad as they are just because of bad coaching.  Poor talent compared to the SEC made serious win record not possible.

I don't think Morris and the new staff had any idea it was as bad as it is. 

bleudog

AirWarren

Quote from: RZback on April 07, 2018, 04:44:24 pm
I don't think Morris and the new staff had any idea it was as bad as it is. 

Agreed. 6-7 wins. But that's top. Add a bowl win in for a 7-8 win season, and I would call it magical.

Couple of points.

Ty Storey. Not SEC material.
Dalton Hyatt. May be a Gem of a QB.
Cole Kelly, he has the size and arm, but still looks erratic.
Offensive line....who knows at this point.
CJ Ogrady still looks the part.
Running backs....Williams and Whaley looked good. Hayden and Hammonds.....eh.
Pettway and freshman Woods looked like the best WR. Lots of drops by Stewart.

Defense looked quicker and more aware than the offense.
Secondary has a chance to be GOOD. Making plays at the ball. In position.
Linebackers looked like they wanted to play.
Our front 4 were aggressive. Randy Ramsey may have a break out year.
Special teams. Hot hot hot garbage.

Quarterbacks. B-
Running backs. B-
WR. C.
TE. B
OL. C by default until proven otherwise.

DL. B.
LB. B-
CB. B+
S. A-

Special teams.
Special teams, what you've just done is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in your rambling, incoherent play were you even close to anything that could be considered a decent play. Everyone in Arkansas is now dumber for having seeing to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

beach bum

April 07, 2018, 07:54:04 pm #266 Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:55:44 pm by beach bum
Quote from: AirWarren on April 07, 2018, 07:22:14 pm
Agreed. 6-7 wins. But that's top. Add a bowl win in for a 7-8 win season, and I would call it magical.

Couple of points.

Ty Storey. Not SEC material.
Dalton Hyatt. May be a Gem of a QB.
Cole Kelly, he has the size and arm, but still looks erratic.
Offensive line....who knows at this point.
CJ Ogrady still looks the part.
Running backs....Williams and Whaley looked good. Hayden and Hammonds.....eh.
Pettway and freshman Woods looked like the best WR. Lots of drops by Stewart.

Defense looked quicker and more aware than the offense.
Secondary has a chance to be GOOD. Making plays at the ball. In position.
Linebackers looked like they wanted to play.
Our front 4 were aggressive. Randy Ramsey may have a break out year.
Special teams. Hot hot hot garbage.

Quarterbacks. B-
Running backs. B-
WR. C.
TE. B
OL. C by default until proven otherwise.

DL. B.
LB. B-
CB. B+
S. A-

Special teams.
Special teams, what you've just done is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in your rambling, incoherent play were you even close to anything that could be considered a decent play. Everyone in Arkansas is now dumber for having seeing to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Got to say you are spot on here too and might be one of the few rational brains posting right now about the Hogs in the revenue generating sports. I think the best case scenario is we get some confidence by winning all 4 non conference games. Easier said than done cause Colorado State and Tulsa we should win, but who knows? Then try to get a few more between getting 2 of 3 from Ole Miss, Mizzou, Vandy.... and possibly grab one more from A&M or Miss State. I agree too spot on about our QB's. That is where I am very worried. I think Storey has the brightest mind and probably grasps this offense better. I know everyone here locally loves the kid cause he is from Charleston, but at some point they have to accept the reality that he is not SEC material. Sometimes we have to think with our mind and not our hearts to see that. Again, I think you have been spot on.

beach bum

-3 wins would be disaster scenario of losing almost every game that ends up being a tight one
-7 wins would be high end of winning pretty much every close game we get in
-we probably end up with 5 or 6 in reality, 3-1 in non conference and 3-5 in SEC is what I predict & we finish 6-6

sportsguy80

You guys are spot on with what I saw. Our qb situation will make or break a "decent" season. The defense looked liked a SEC defense that wants to win. Time will tell...

RZback

Quote from: sportsguy80 on April 08, 2018, 09:55:03 pm
You guys are spot on with what I saw. Our qb situation will make or break a "decent" season. The defense looked liked a SEC defense that wants to win. Time will tell...

QB's are not B material at this point.  I'd say a C at best and the Defense is still unproven because of the offense they were playing against.  I'm hoping they can win 5 but that will be a subpar season.  I just think things are worse than most had believed including the new staff.  Chavez may get the D up to snuff but right now they will struggle in conference.  Offense still doesn't have a grasp on it yet and Im not sure any are really ready for SEC.

Mulerider4Life

I'm feeling a 6-6 year, followed by a 7-5 year.

bdubyab60

There's a complete culture change going on. It seems B.B. was either a poor evaluator as far as QB goes. Hopefully one of those guys steps up. Took BA 3 years but the Allens did take a beating.

RZback

I'd say we are a long way from having the pieces in place to challenge in the SEC.   Hopefully the staff can develop some talent in the players they currently have.  I'm sure lots of Hogs would think 6-6 was a good year but being satisfied with that is the type of thinking that has gotten us to the place we are at.  7-5 would be a nice opening year for Morris.  It would show we had the right guy in place and are situated to move forward quickly. 

bdubyab60

I wouldn't be satisfied with 6-6 just think it's more of a realistic expectation this year.

If look like we have actually played football before it would be nice

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: bdubyab60 on April 13, 2018, 07:09:08 pm
I wouldn't be satisfied with 6-6 just think it's more of a realistic expectation this year.

If look like we have actually played football before it would be nice

Exactly. I would feel good if it was a 6-6 season with all of them being close games except Alabama.

nuttinbuthogs

I've heard so many mixed opinions on how the spring went and what we will look like come fall that it is hard to know what is ahead.  Guess we will see when we see.

cuckoobird

When have you ever known what was ahead? Everyone is always serving koolaid

Valleysports

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on April 19, 2018, 10:17:44 am
I've heard so many mixed opinions on how the spring went and what we will look like come fall that it is hard to know what is ahead.  Guess we will see when we see.

You haven't heard many mixed opinions from people who actually attended the Spring Game, wasn't but 3 fans there. 

AirWarren

Another spot freed up.

Korey Hernandez, CB out of Atlanta area, has decided to transfer.

gameoflife

Quote from: Valleysports on April 19, 2018, 06:07:48 pm
You haven't heard many mixed opinions from people who actually attended the Spring Game, wasn't but 3 fans there. 

Funny!  So little interest?

footballfan-tastic

Don't be surprised if we only win 4 games.

Valleysports

Quote from: AirWarren on April 24, 2018, 07:47:55 am
Another spot freed up.

Korey Hernandez, CB out of Atlanta area, has decided to transfer.

AirWarren I'm fascinated with A&M again lol (thought I posted this last week).  Commitments are what they are, but holy wow they've got a top class on speed dial. 

AirWarren

Quote from: Valleysports on May 02, 2018, 08:11:21 pm
AirWarren I'm fascinated with A&M again lol (thought I posted this last week).  Commitments are what they are, but holy wow they've got a top class on speed dial. 

It's a Texas SEC school. No reason not to be a top ten recruiting class year in and year out.

Trojanbird

IMO!! Only.  From what I have observed over the years since we joined the SEC, I just don't feel that the U of A has made the total commitment to be what is required to be continders for championships!  Yes, it has been done in the past. Finally got one in ladies golf I think!  We have to have SMART people hiring better/smarter coaches!  Right now we are buried in debt paying off bad hires, in the real world it is bankruptcy!  Blame AW for my rant, just tired of the BS on the hill!   What do you think??

gameoflife

UA is like the poor cousin who shows up at the family reunion wearing a $1000 dollar suit and driving a Mercedes Benz, rented, he lives in a huge house that is almost empty on the inside because he cant afford anything in it.  It's all for show.  Wants to impress but doesn't really have it all together to get it done. Middle of the road program that keeps trying to hire middle of the pack coaches in hopes of getting lucky with one of those "home run" hires.    Hopefully this one will pay off but I'm thinking still middle of the pack.  In the position we seem to be in we need that big name that will attract athletes like flies to honey.

AirWarren

Quote from: gameoflife on May 03, 2018, 10:03:49 am
UA is like the poor cousin who shows up at the family reunion wearing a $1000 dollar suit and driving a Mercedes Benz, rented, he lives in a huge house that is almost empty on the inside because he cant afford anything in it.  It's all for show.  Wants to impress but doesn't really have it all together to get it done. Middle of the road program that keeps trying to hire middle of the pack coaches in hopes of getting lucky with one of those "home run" hires.    Hopefully this one will pay off but I'm thinking still middle of the pack.  In the position we seem to be in we need that big name that will attract athletes like flies to honey.

LoL.

YOU SHOULD GO ON HOGVILLE AND POST THIS.

Valleysports

May 06, 2018, 02:35:07 am #286 Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:06:51 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: AirWarren on May 02, 2018, 09:13:04 pm
It's a Texas SEC school. No reason not to be a top ten recruiting class year in and year out.
How about Top 5?

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: AirWarren on May 03, 2018, 11:54:05 am
LoL.

YOU SHOULD GO ON HOGVILLE AND POST THIS.

I don't think anyone could have set it better.

Valleysports

Arkansas is sitting at #49 - next years recruits - better get in the game.

Mulerider4Life

gameoflife

Quote from: Valleysports on May 20, 2018, 07:34:09 pm
Arkansas is sitting at #49 - next years recruits - better get in the game.

How did Arkansas rank among SEC teams?

Valleysports

Quote from: gameoflife on May 25, 2018, 02:42:30 pm
How did Arkansas rank among SEC teams?

Jump 37 spots to 12th in the SEC and all the to 7th in the SEC West....   8)

nuttinbuthogs

Boy it just doesn't look good for next season at this point.  I know people and coaches are trying to talk up a good future but so far it just looks like a long way to go to get there.

AirWarren

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on May 29, 2018, 11:02:11 am
Boy it just doesn't look good for next season at this point.  I know people and coaches are trying to talk up a good future but so far it just looks like a long way to go to get there.

But hey, we are going back to grass at UAF stadium.

nuttinbuthogs

AirWarren

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on May 29, 2018, 12:26:48 pm
To that I say, Why?

Scuttlebutt says, coach Morris is a grass guy.

He coached on grass at Clemson and at the high school level.

bleudog

May 29, 2018, 02:28:40 pm #297 Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:32:26 pm by bleudog
Quote from: AirWarren on May 29, 2018, 11:10:09 am
But hey, we are going back to grass at UAF stadium.

Then a fleet of these might come in handy.

And we all know whoever put the meme together could have used any school.  ;D

I really thought his one was funnier:

nuttinbuthogs

So if Morris is not successful and 5 or so years from now we hire a turf guy we will have to put in turf?

AirWarren

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on May 29, 2018, 05:35:16 pm
So if Morris is not successful and 5 or so years from now we hire a turf guy we will have to put in turf?

It is setting up the blame patrol perfectly. If he isn't successful, it's because we play on grass now.

Remember. It's been a motorcycle, Pepsi, etc for our lack of success.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas