• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The All Soccer Thread(US soccer, EPL, European leagues, Spanish/Mexican leagues.)

Started by AirWarren, August 02, 2015, 09:00:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on June 26, 2017, 04:14:10 pm
I don't think we've ever had this discussion on the board before:

Although I don't think it will happen anytime soon (if ever), do you guys think the United States' leagues should adopt promotion/relegation like the other top leagues around the world?

I think that they should, but sadly they would never do that because Americans have such a different mindset when it comes to their sports businesses. Owners hold all the power and would never want to risk being relegated. I would like starting with something as simple as this.... I know the EPL relegates three teams. I say here in the MLS that the club with the fewest points gets relegated so one club from a lower league could then be promoted. Then a the club with the 2nd fewest points in the MLS could do an aggregate playoff from a 2nd lower division club. Isn't that what the Bundesliga does? Their last place club gets automatic relegation and the the 2nd to last place club does a playoff to stay or not?

1-Adam-12

In the Bundesliga the last two of 18 are automatically relegated, and the 16th place finisher has a home-and-home playoff with the 3rd place team of 2. Bundesliga.

And I do think something like this should happen in MLS.

1-Adam-12

US Open Cup:  Already one upset as Miami (NASL) beats Atlanta United.

FC Cincinnati and Chicago Fire now into extra time.

1-Adam-12

FC Cincy takes out Chicago in PK's.

That was one amazing match. The Cincinnati GK was BEYOND unconscious, saving 3 of the 4 PKs as well as many Fire chances throughout.

And there were over 32,000 fans in Cincinnati.  For a second division team.

Hard to find one team currently in the English Championship that draws that many.

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on June 28, 2017, 10:10:19 pm
FC Cincy takes out Chicago in PK's.

That was one amazing match. The Cincinnati GK was BEYOND unconscious, saving 3 of the 4 PKs as well as many Fire chances throughout.

And there were over 32,000 fans in Cincinnati.  For a second division team.

Hard to find one team currently in the English Championship that draws that many.

They were robbed of 2 goals too or FC Cincy should have won in regulation and then again in extra time.

beach bum

Germany has 2 goals in the first seven minutes against Mexico.... Wow.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: beach bum on June 29, 2017, 01:11:56 pm
They were robbed of 2 goals too or FC Cincy should have won in regulation and then again in extra time.

Agree on each.  The first was incorrectly ruled out for offside; the second, the Chicago GK made an incredible save.

WPWells

They were robbed of a clear handball in the box as well that would have given them a PK

beach bum

USA 2 Ghana 1.... in a tune up for the Gold Cup. Dom Dwyer celebrates becoming a US citizen and first US cap by getting on the score sheet.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on July 01, 2017, 07:19:28 pm
USA 2 Ghana 1.... in a tune up for the Gold Cup. Dom Dwyer celebrates becoming a US citizen and first US cap by getting on the score sheet.

Guzan.....just still can't get behind him.

All in all, I think we are ready for the Gold cup.

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on July 01, 2017, 07:21:52 pm
Guzan.....just still can't get behind him.

All in all, I think we are ready for the Gold cup.

Didn't the FC Dallas goalie super recently switch from Mexico to the USA? I heard he did just like a week ago.... I would like to see him get a chance.

beach bum

1-Adam-12

Jermain Defoe put pen to paper with Bournemouth.  Shows me that the Cherries have even higher ambitions than 9th place in the PL.

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on July 03, 2017, 04:45:12 pm
Jermain Defoe put pen to paper with Bournemouth.  Shows me that the Cherries have even higher ambitions than 9th place in the PL.

I could see him getting between 15 and 18 goals for them next season definitely....

Longfellow

I hope so

beach bum

Would the Europa League be a wild possibility for them?

beach bum

Lukaku is on his way to Manchester United..... As weird as this sounds I don't know how you can say losing a guy that scores 20 plus goals a year helps but I think this helps both clubs. United were desperate for a guy like him and Everton I think will now open up some more with their signings and be more balanced and have a more open style like a Liverpool. I think Everton will finish about the same even without him and its better for their future. If Manchester United pulls a rabbit out of the hat and gets Greizmann in the next month then they'll win the Premier League. Just with Lukaku they are still not good enough imo...

1-Adam-12

Wow. Lukaku to United!  I thought for sure he was returning to Chelsea.

Hope Everton puts that 75 million pounds ($97.2 million) to good use.  They have already signed some quality players and now they can go after even more.  Now may be the time to put up the money for Sigurdsson.

Another possibility being bandied about is a return to Everton for Wayne Rooney!

And Leicester City is going after a promising striker from Man City, Iheanacho. 

For the Bournemouth question, they are really close to having enough talent.  We'll see!

AirWarren

This Diego Costa stuff is hacking me off more and more.

They better land a premiere striker soon.

VHSCoach2

Juan Carlos Osorio had received a six-match ban for his protest against Portugal and will miss the entire CONCACAF Gold Cup.

1-Adam-12

Chelsea has matched Man Utd's bid for Lukaku. 

It's all in Big Rom's hands now.

AirWarren

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on July 07, 2017, 04:52:15 pm
Chelsea has matched Man Utd's bid for Lukaku. 

It's all in Big Rom's hands now.

Bring him home, Rom.

1-Adam-12

United upped the ante for Lukaku, now 90 million pounds ($116 million)...PLUS Wayne Rooney...to Everton.

Now, Toffees, GO GET SIGURDSSON.

AirWarren

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on July 08, 2017, 12:56:19 pm
United upped the ante for Lukaku, now 90 million pounds ($116 million)...PLUS Wayne Rooney...to Everton.

Now, Toffees, GO GET SIGURDSSON.

He gone.

The Italian stallion better get a replacement for Costa.

WPWells

1-Adam-12

Everton are also after Olivier Giroud from Arsenal and perhaps Virgil van Dijk from Southampton.

I've never seen anything like it.  The Toffees are serious.

AirWarren

VHSCoach2

Attended the match today in Nashville. What an atmosphere! Largest soccer crowd in Tennessee history according to the PA announcer. 47,000+

The air was sucked out of the majority when Panama equalized.

Longfellow

I don't know how I feel about Rooney to Everton. I've disliked him for so long because he played for Man U, it'll be weird to see him in a neutral light

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on July 09, 2017, 10:07:17 am
I don't know how I feel about Rooney to Everton. I've disliked him for so long because he played for Man U, it'll be weird to see him in a neutral light

Too much money for a washed up player.... Kind of like the Kobe treatment his last 2 seasons in LA.

1-Adam-12

I think he is there to pass on his knowledge to younger players and to score the odd goal here and there.  It's a morale signing more than anything else.

Longfellow

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on July 12, 2017, 08:07:23 pm
Didn't realize the USMNT had a match tonight

The group of guys we have on the pitch look awful... Wow this is bad.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on July 12, 2017, 08:40:29 pm
The group of guys we have on the pitch look awful... Wow this is bad.

Horrid. I don't understand why in the world we flop in cups. No urgency. Lack luster passing.

AirWarren

AirWarren

AirWarren

beach bum

VHSCoach2

With this much drop off between the A and B squads, we're in trouble.

beach bum

AirWarren

AirWarren

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on July 12, 2017, 09:37:52 pm
With this much drop off between the A and B squads, we're in trouble.

It's kind of sad.

We are still light years away from being competitive in world soccer.

AirWarren

beach bum

It's a little slow with no club soccer even with the Gold Cup going on cause the Gold Cup has a bunch of teams using 2nd and 3rd string players essentially.... But it has me thinking out of the major European leagues what are your favorite clubs for all the leagues. Here are mine.

Ligue 1- got to go bland here but I love PSG. I always root for them in Champions League even though they fizzle out

Bundesliga- Dortmund cause you got to love how they get a lot out of what they have, plus PULISIC

Serie A: got to go with Roma here

Premier League: Liverpool, Swansea City cause of Sigurdsson, plus I watched Brighton a ton on Bein Sports last season as they were the Friday 1:45 EFL Championship game so they grew on me a ton and I'll follow them up now

La Liga- I am a Real Madrid guy and got to love a story like Eibar too

beach bum

Good thing Nicaragua is not very good cause we can't make a penalty kick to save our lives.... Still 2-0 up though.

beach bum

3-0 win USA.... I think we win the group correct cause us and Panama both have 7 points now and a +4 goal difference, however we scored 7 total goals to their 6.... I do have that right? If so we avoided the bullet of playing Costa Rica in the quarterfinals and that would be an ugly look to lose in the quarterfinals on our soil. Now we get a 3rd place opponent from another group. Then in the semifinals we could get Costa Rica vs. Panama winner. The other side of the bracket is looking like it will have Canada, Mexico, and Jamaica as potential teams to make it to the finals.

beach bum

Bradley and Altidore will be joining the squad in the knockout stage... I never thought I would say this about those 2 players but it will be great to have them after seeing what we have in the first 3 matches.

WPWells

beach bum

Manchester United is blasting LA Galaxy in a friendly in the 35th minute now 3-0....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas