• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Houston Astros

Started by RATTLER43, July 15, 2017, 11:25:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RATTLER43

ThiefOfDiamonds8

'Stros are a fun team to watch. I'm a Cubs fan so I obviously enjoy watching Chicago first and foremost; but I am also one of those guys that can watch any baseball game that is on. From the American League, the Astros have been one of my favorite teams to watch in the recent years. Their young core are very exciting and solid. With the addition of Verlander it has helped them out tremendously. Good luck to them the rest of the way (except if they match up with the Cubs by some chance in the World Series of course!).

bleudog

Three down; eight to go.

bleudog

Yankees 1
'stos 2

Houston up in the series 1-0

bleudog

Q:    Which two pitchers did Dallas Keuchel join as the only Astros to strike out 10 or more in a postseason game?

A:    Mike Scott (14 K's in Game 1 of the 1986 NLCS) and Nolan Ryan (12 K's in Game 5 of the '86 NLCS)

RATTLER43

Keuchal pitched well.  Altuve hit well.  Correa and Yuli were clutch.  Gonzalez had the big play. Loved it. Great game 1 as Yankee pitching was really good.

RATTLER43

RATTLER43

...and Verlander, Altuve, and Correa!!!!   Two great games so far.

Longfellow

Not looking good for the Astros in game 5

RATTLER43

Yankee pitching has handcuffed Astros.  I'm truly surprised. 

bleudog

I was hoping if they couldn't get two in NY they could at least get one.

But it ain't over til it's over.

RATTLER43

Morton and McCullers! Wow. 

bleudog

And game two goes to the 'stros 7-6 in 11.

Going to Houston with a chance for the good guys to end it without having to go back to La La Land.

Chief_Osceola™

They'll have to beat Kershaw again to clinch in Houston, if that's the way the series goes.

bleudog

Now it's best of five and the 'stros have home field.

bleudog

'stros take game three 5-3.

bleudog

bleudog

'stros win game five in extra innings.  Take a 3-2 lead to L. A.

RATTLER43

... in thrilling fashion!

bleudog

Quote from: RATTLER43 on October 30, 2017, 07:44:43 am
... in thrilling fashion!

Thrilling is an understatement.

I just hope they've got enough in the tank and finish this thing up on Halloween.

nastynice

Sucks they start the games so late. I never make it to all the exciting stuff.

Chief_Osceola™

Game 6 was incredible.

Both Verlander & Hill were dealing. The Dodgers just managed to put together 3 quality at-bats in the 6th. Hopefully Game 7 is just as good.

Also, Bregman is a dude.

bleudog

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on November 01, 2017, 04:29:35 pm
Game 6 was incredible.

Both Verlander & Hill were dealing. The Dodgers just managed to put together 3 quality at-bats in the 6th. Hopefully Game 7 is just as good.

Also, Bregman is a dude.

If 'stros pull it out, I'd give Bregman the Series MVP.

nastynice

Nothing better than a Game 7. Gonna set my alarm for midnight so I can watch last couple innings.

Chief_Osceola™

Well that was a quick hook for Darvish.

Nastynice if you get up at midnight it may only be in the 6th inning if the Astros keep raking like they have in the first 2 innings.

nastynice

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on November 01, 2017, 08:14:14 pm
Well that was a quick hook for Darvish.

Nastynice if you get up at midnight it may only be in the 6th inning if the Astros keep raking like they have in the first 2 innings.

That's no joke!  MVP will go to Springer if Stros win. He's a nightmare in that lead off spot. Let's Go Stros

bleudog

November 01, 2017, 09:52:45 pm #76 Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:14:49 pm by bleudog
I never understood the Dodgers wanting Darvish. They could have gotten to the WS without him.  But he played in the same division as one of your most likely WS opponents.  Darvish wasn't showing the 'stros anything they hadn't already seen.

Lumberjackfan1978

bleudog

November 01, 2017, 11:01:28 pm #78 Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:44:24 pm by bleudog

'STROS WIN!
'STROS WIN!
'STROS WIN!
HISTORY EARNED!

BigLion10

Stros Win!!! What a Series

RATTLER43

What a series, indeed!   Classic.  I have been a fan since watching Larry Dierker and Cesar Cedeno. Then Jose Cruz. Was there in the strike season. Was there for J.R. Richard, Nolan Ryan, and the Phillies NLCS (also classic); for Mike Scott and the boys in the Mets NLCS (also classic); for the Killer Bs playoffs, for the Biggio, Bagwell WS vs. White Sox.   This was a looooooong wait for a title.....and so sweet.

bleudog

43, I'll see you all that and raise you the Toy Cannon and a certain 5' 7" second baseman with an elbow flap batting stance who went on to be a part of the Big Red Machine. :-)

RATTLER43

I know, I know..... but they went to the Dodgers and Reds so I did not want to mention them.  Beating the LAsordas last night was so, how can I put this, therapeutic for enduring those years when those two teams were so great and pummelled us with regularity. How could we trade Jimmy Wynn and Joe Morgan to division rivals?  I mean, Joe Morgan for Tommy Helms, no less.......   To this day I cannot for the life of me understand some of the things that happened back then.

beach bum

104 wins in the regular and all that pay roll in LA..... All for nothing  ;D

RATTLER43

I respect the greatness and grit of that team, but...................was so happy to beat that organization!
Sutton
Yeager
Garvey
Lopes
Russell
Cey
Smith
Wynn
Monday
and company were so good in the 70s..............

Then Valenzuela beating out Ryan for Cy Young during strike season...........

Then Lasorda's handling of Jose Cruz (only player to not enter the game) and Bill Doran (not even getting chosen when at the time he was having the best year of any second baseman in the NL) in All Star games...........

Yes; I believe you could say I have a healthy disrespect for the organization as much as I respect the teams they've had.

Sorry for the interruption.  Back on topic:   Astros WIN!!!!

bleudog

Quote from: RATTLER43 on November 02, 2017, 01:50:37 pm
I respect the greatness and grit of that team, but...................was so happy to beat that organization!
Sutton
Yeager
Garvey
Lopes
Russell
Cey
Smith
Wynn
Monday
and company were so good in the 70s..............

Then Valenzuela beating out Ryan for Cy Young during strike season...........

Then Lasorda's handling of Jose Cruz (only player to not enter the game) and Bill Doran (not even getting chosen when at the time he was having the best year of any second baseman in the NL) in All Star games...........

Yes; I believe you could say I have a healthy disrespect for the organization as much as I respect the teams they've had.

Sorry for the interruption.  Back on topic:   Astros WIN!!!!

I always thought it was cool when Bill Russell came to Shreveport to manage the Swamp Dragons.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Shreveport_Swamp_Dragons

bleudog

November 02, 2017, 02:00:14 pm #86 Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:28:22 pm by bleudog
I saw a trivia question that was kind of interesting.

The 1985 Kansas City Royals and the 2017 Houston Astros are the only two teams in baseball history to win two game sevens in one year.

The rest of the story is the League Championship format only expanded from best of five to best of seven in 1985 but I still think it sounds good.

RATTLER43

November 02, 2017, 02:21:57 pm #87 Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:25:33 pm by RATTLER43
Good stuff.  But 1985 is getting further and further away from now!   So it is becoming an even greater accomplishment.

bleudog

RATTLER43

Good read.  Don Wilson left us too soon as well.
For J.R. Richard who was close to leading us to the promised land.....
For Dickie Thon who was on his way to greatness and was beaned.....
For Nolan Ryan and Mike Scott.....
The list is endless.
But the long-enduring fans, we are a happy bunch right now.

bleudog

November 02, 2017, 03:58:36 pm #90 Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:45:10 pm by bleudog
Quote from: RATTLER43 on November 02, 2017, 03:31:29 pm
The list is endless.

Dickie Thon and J R Richards were ball players.  Truly examples of what might have been.

RATTLER43

Yes. Stars.  Richard would have been the final piece to knock off the Phillies in that series. Vern Ruhle had a great second half, but Richard was absolutely dominant.
Then Thon would have been the stud on the Nolan Ryan, Mike Scott, Bob Knepper group who lost to the Mets. Maybe the extra bat that gets us the runs to prevail in those close games.
We will never know but I know both were great for that brief period of time.

bleudog

Richards played his high school ball in Ruston, LA.  He was 6' 8" his senior year and nobody scored a run on him.  Plus he hit four home runs in one game.

Richards and Ryan were quite the combo.  Too bad most folks thought Richards' "dead arm" was just his complaining about Ryan being a million dollar man and not the precursor to the stroke it really was.

RATTLER43

I just read an article on Richard. Not sure how he didn't win the Cy Young that year (the article blames it on split votes but just look at the stats.).  He also passed the eye test for greatness.  I love the part about him dominating the Dodgers!!!
https://www.astrosdaily.com/hall/Richard_JR.html

bleudog

Quote from: RATTLER43 on November 02, 2017, 04:58:49 pm
I just read an article on Richard. Not sure how he didn't win the Cy Young that year (the article blames it on split votes but just look at the stats.).  He also passed the eye test for greatness.  I love the part about him dominating the Dodgers!!!
https://www.astrosdaily.com/hall/Richard_JR.html

RATTLER43

Enjoyed most of the video.  What a great talent.

bleudog

bleudog

Quote from: RATTLER43 on November 02, 2017, 03:31:29 pm
The list is endless.

I don't think that ball Pujols hit off Lidge in 2005 has come down yet.

RATTLER43

Quote from: bleudog on November 03, 2017, 08:10:26 pm

That's a running joke at our house.  "Hey, it's still going......" while looking toward the sky. 

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: bleudog on November 03, 2017, 08:10:26 pm

That ball was destroyed. It took every bit of air out of the stadium with it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas