• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Track/Cross Country

Started by ~WPS~, December 09, 2010, 08:04:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

I'm not sure about Alma's yet. I will have to ask Coach Mac for a schedule after Christmas break.

Yes, I wish we had that last chance meet too. I really wanted to run the 800 by itself at that meet and try and get under 2:00.

RATTLER43

I hope he has it. It is late in season when you are close to peaking, weather is typically great, and competition at Alma meets is good. When you talk to Coach Mac mention that we would love to attend one this year if he has it.

vtown22

I have to weigh in on this one...first of all trackster, takes a lot of time to get all that stuff up man..great job!! I must say that I personally think that this will play out like it did last year...I think Alma could easily get conference championship again this year...V and Alma are only teams in conference that put effort into it...Alma's depth will prove too much for Vilonia with no on else to steal points from them.....Now state could def. be a different story...It is all about quality over quantity in state...I think Vilonia should be favored to beat Alma in state...The two JH conference championships in the Central Arkansas Conference were hard to come by..It was a 16 team conference in which V, Greenbrier, and Morrilton were only 5A schools in it..All others were 6-7A...They def pulled off an upset winning it the first year...The second won was won by around 100 points with this year's juniors....Not a whole lot in sophomores...The twin pole vaulters were actually freshmen last year with one of them winning state...He went 14'1 the other day and I think his brother went 13'3....Vilonia has to find an answer for throwing events..That is there biggest weakness...It def. will be fun watching this year's battle!!

AT

Its nice to see another Vilonia track fan on here.

Alma's depth in each event is always hard to overcome for Vilonia, but Vilonia has been building that depth lately...especially in the distance events.

Alma's strengths at conference are usually hurdles and throwers and I suspect that will be true again this year....even though I bet there will be a couple of surprises in other events :).

State will definitely be another story...I agree. Vilonia looks much more prepared for state this year with quality in alot of events.

Its going to be fun to see what happens.

On the junior high front, Alma also has won it for the past two years against schools that go to Southside, Northside, and Van Buren. So they have some tough competition too.

TTownHogs

6A Girls.... Texarkana has a real good chance to 4 peat but its gonna be tough.

~WPS~

Nashville girls looking for 5-peat.

Basketballfan13

Acorn girls should take 1A

~WPS~

Why is 4A in Pocahontas again?

RATTLER43

Did any school bid for it besides them?

RATTLER43

Track meet in Fayetteville today!!!!!!!!!!!

We are not going but it signals the beginning of the indoor season. We get started in a few weeks.

AT

They had an Arkansas/Texas dual meet yesterday and here's an update on some freshmen from Arkansas high schools

Neill Braddy, the sprinting sensation from Southside, won the 400 meter dash in a time of 47.58. That is his PR for indoor or outdoor I am pretty sure...he is going to be a good one.

Sam Ewing, the pole vaulting sensation from Lake Hamilton, vaulted 15-1. Thats a bit off his PR, but he has alot of potential and I expect big things out of him.

On the girls side, Grace Heymsfield from Elkins ran the mile last weekend in Arkansas's first indoor meet in a time of 5:09.67. In Arkansas High Schools, you very rarely see anyone run the mile (1600 meters is NOT a mile), but conversion wise, that would be getting up there with her PR. She will be a good one too.

RATTLER43

Saw Grace run in the fall. Great. Braddy is incredible. Hope Ewing breaks the mold of Arkansas PVs doing poorly as Hogs. Whatever happened to McCorkel?

AT

Quote from: RATTLER43 on January 15, 2011, 12:03:09 pm
Saw Grace run in the fall. Great. Braddy is incredible. Hope Ewing breaks the mold of Arkansas PVs doing poorly as Hogs. Whatever happened to McCorkel?

I heard alot of stories about that, but the one I heard the most is that he just didn't get along with his pole vaulting coach.

RATTLER43

It happens.

Well, I hope we can get it together. After falling completely on our faces following J-Mac we have now begin to climb back up. Hoping we perform this year.

RATTLER43

Hogs beat Texas. Always enjoyable.

AT

Quote from: RATTLER43 on January 15, 2011, 12:23:00 pm
Hogs beat Texas. Always enjoyable.

Yes, it is. And Texas is ranked 15th in the country. Its early of course, so its hard to say if that ranking was legit, but Texas is not a bad team for sure.

RATTLER43

Hard to tell where you are during indoor due to being in midst of training. Tarik hitting a 54+ in triple last week is just incredible. 26+ in LJ last night. We do have some weapons. I have always said that Bucknam can coach and recruit. We just have never "peaked" or performed well in big meets since he took the helm. I hope we break that pattern as well.

RATTLER43

Dallas-Ft. Worth athletes are dominating the high school meet today. Hope Bucknam gets some of them to the hill.

InYoGrill

Speaking of UA track, do you think we will ever see any of the success that Mac brought us during all those dynasty years??? Man we were da bomb for a long time. All those championships in outdoor,indoor, and cc. Has everyone else just caught up, lack of recruiting or was Mac just that great above everyone else ?? I'd love to hear any thoughts on this.

RATTLER43

I think we will never see any school at that level of dominance again. I hope we get back into the National championship scene, though. I think J-Mac was one of a kind and hit it just right. Once he got it rolling it turned into a monster. The main thing he and his staff did that is unparalleled is the way the teams would rise to the occasion. They won when they were supposed to and performed above themselves in years they weren't supposed to win. I loved it.

RATTLER43

I think others caught up in the distance running part.

InYoGrill

Appreciate the insight Rattler. I can remember back in the 90's on ESPN. They would say something like and AR won another championship in the ... like it was so predictable that the story line was the same ole tune. Not that's downright DOMINANCE!! Mac had all those international runners especially from Ireland and good sprinters. Just was so weird to have an Irishman coach calling the Hogs. He was a super cool cat and represented the program so professionally. I bet those men loved running for that guy and I would think that he is a lifetime motivator for them as well. Even the lady hogs under Harter were top 10 regulars.

RATTLER43

Yes; he had a huge impact. He had great assistants for sprints and jumps. But I will repeat it over and over again that his greatest coaching gift was the ability to get them to overachieve at championships. I happened to be able to watch his entire career unfold and go back and check out what they did when they had less talent than other universities (won championships) and what his teams did when he had the most talent (dominated). Simply amazing. I got to speak with him on various occasions and he was just a regular guy. But when he talked about running and the Hogs he was passionate and it just resonated with anyone around him. I think that helped him in the recruiting aspect of coaching. He got grea talent even back in early and mid-eighties. He had no glaring weaknesses as a coach. He was very demanding but was able to get the athletes to pour out everything they had for him.

InYoGrill

I guess one way to look at it is that we have been fortunate enough to experience not only  1 NCAA but an unbreakable legacy of NCAA's from Mac led teams. Not many folks can say they even ate a single crumb off our iced over trophy cake.

RATTLER43

Yes. I really appreciate what was accomplished more and more each year.

I am Razorback to the bone and the last few years have been difficult. Hoping we are back this year. Attending indoor meets during the last few years of our dominance were incredible. I have been to football games against Texas and SEC foes, basketball games in Barnhill and BW during our hayday, baseball games in recent years. I cannot explain the intensity of an indoor meet with 7000 fans basically all Hogs cheering in a small enclosed gym setting. It would be deafening. I really miss it. Best track fans back in the day. Even reminiscing about it is enjoyable we were so awesome.

RATTLER43

Give me a list of spring meets this year. We are willing to travel long distances for state qualifying meets.

UALR11

It's been a pleasure getting to know some of the "old hogs"; John's Boys. 

There will never be another track program with that kinda of atmosphere.  Every day was an adventure for those 80's teams.  Before it was expected for them to win every title; they did it with very respectable arrogance.  All they wanted to was prove something, and look what they built. 

Also noteworthy:  Findlay's 4:22 full mile to open up...in January?  Thats sick.

RATTLER43

I agree. Speculating he will go top 10 all time for Arkansas HS boys. Gabe ran well, too. Could be some great times by May!

AT

Findlay will only be a sophomore this year correct. If so, that is spectacular. Little Rock Catholic coaches work very well with individual distance runners. That Chaffin kid is a great runner too, especially in the 800. I think he is a senior this year.

RATTLER43

Talking times is getting me revved up.

groundgame

Even though we're not going to be very good, I can't wait til the season get's here. I enjoy watching track and rooting for our conference teams. Rattler43 should be very solid in both boys and girls programs this year. Now less than a month away until state indoor. Looking forward to seeing you guys up there.

AT

Quote from: groundgame on January 20, 2011, 05:21:51 pm
Even though we're not going to be very good, I can't wait til the season get's here. I enjoy watching track and rooting for our conference teams. Rattler43 should be very solid in both boys and girls programs this year. Now less than a month away until state indoor. Looking forward to seeing you guys up there.

What school are you a fan of groundgame?

RATTLER43

Beat me to the question. Yes, we should be salty in both divisions. Thanks for the kind words. We just have to remain healthy and get a number of kids qualified. Should be a fun season.

groundgame

I coach in the same conf. with rattler43 @ Westside. I've had some pretty good girls teams the last few years, but we're kind of in a down cycle right now. Even though we don't have a chance of winning this year that's why I said I like to root for the teams from our conf.

RATTLER43

You are being too modest, Groundgame. Those teams of yours were great. Our conference has had a nice 4-year run as JCW, Magazine, UCA, Eureka, and Mulberry/PV have performed very well at state level.

JCW won two titles and one runner-up in past 4 years!

RATTLER43

Any other class AA fans reading this. I get on here and it will show 4 members and 4 guests yet only a couple of us posting. Wonder who those others are. Wish they would give input. I love talking track and field.

In the last 10 years how many schools have won state in boys and girls in the same season? Off the top of my head it seems like LH, Lafayette County, Trinity Christian have done it. Nashville maybe. Russvegas?

~WPS~

Nashville boys and girls won together in 2010, 2007, 2001, 2000, and 1999.  Alltime the boys have won 7 and the girls have won 8 including the last 4.

AT

The Alma girls and Alma boys have never won state titles in the same year.

Its funny, though, Alma girls used to be dominant in track back in the late 70s and early 80s. They had an athlete named Allison Dobson who could have been an Olympian if she had made some better choices after high school. I think Alma's girls won 2 state titles and a couple of runner ups. They won the meet of champs sometimes whenever they kept points for that.

RATTLER43

Nashville! Very impressive.   

Basketballfan13

Quote from: RATTLER43 on January 22, 2011, 10:13:52 pm
Any other class AA fans reading this. I get on here and it will show 4 members and 4 guests yet only a couple of us posting. Wonder who those others are. Wish they would give input. I love talking track and field.

In the last 10 years how many schools have won state in boys and girls in the same season? Off the top of my head it seems like LH, Lafayette County, Trinity Christian have done it. Nashville maybe. Russvegas?
I'm more of a class A fan, but I enjoy getting on here and reading what some of the other schools have coming up this year.

RATTLER43

I love it no matter what size classification. Track is great. Pure competition.

Basketballfan13

Quote from: RATTLER43 on January 23, 2011, 07:16:49 pm
I love it no matter what size classification. Track is great. Pure competition.
Me too, doesn't matter the classification track is track. I went to a great 1A school for track and it got me hooked for life. I'm coaching at a small 1A school this year, it'll be the first year they have a track program but it'll be a good experience for them.

RATTLER43

Where are you if you don't mind me asking? We were class A(B back before they changed it all) for years. Still Class A size most years.

We are class AA. Looking for another banner season.

Our program was so small back in the day and has slowly grown into a nice small school program. Kids have to buy into it. Much hard work and sacrifice to compete at meets with 4A, 5A, and 7A schools. Need to do much promotion for any early success.  I am sure you are already aware of this. Just throwing it out there.

If you are local maybe we will meet at some competition along the way.

Basketballfan13

I graduated from Acorn back in '04. I'm at Weiner High School right now. I think it's going to be a little difficult balancing track around softball this year, but it'll be good to get them started. On the boys side I will probably have one or two decent sprinters and that'll be about it. The girls have some potential. I have a few girls that might finish ok in some of the distant races and a few relays. We will just be shooting to qualify a few of them for state for this first year.

RATTLER43

Sounds great. I will look for Weiner results this spring.

Good luck.

I remember the '04 Acorn group.

Basketballfan13

We finished 2nd that year with only 5 runners, Emerson had some really good sprinters that year and ran away with it.
Good Luck to you too this year.

RATTLER43

Yes; Hooper, Posey, Haletzka, Lane, Davis, and Gilbert put up all the points. Got runner-up in CC as well to Lutheran. Had more kids in CC than in track.

Keith has always done a good job, even back in the Hartford days.

Basketballfan13

I always hear people talking about when he's going to retire and take a break, but everytime they think it's going to happen he brings up another group with championship potential. I'm really curious to see how the younger 9th grade Jackson does in Sr High track this year. I'm told she won high point as a 7th and 8th grader both years in jr high, I think she scored 60pts each year winning all 6 events.

~WPS~

Who are some of the best coaches in the state?
Of course im biased, i have to say Coach Rick Baker at Nashville.

Basketballfan13

I'm a little biased too, but he deserves to be on that list Keith Wilsey from Acorn.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas