• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

9 game SEC schedule!

Started by beach bum, December 04, 2014, 12:37:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

It needs to happen. Its ridiculous. We won't play Georgia again until 2020 with the 8 game slate. How can you even really feel you are in a conference with someone if you play them every 6th year. With 9 games we still keep Missouri every year has the new cross divisional game. And rotate 2 of the other 6 SEC East teams in 3 year cycles. At least playing someone every third year is more reasonable, not sixth.

ricepig

It doesn't have the support of the majority of the conference, although I seem to remember Saban was for it.

beach bum

Quote from: ricepig on December 04, 2014, 12:51:17 pm
It doesn't have the support of the majority of the conference, although I seem to remember Saban was for it.

I even heard the AD from Kentucky say he would get too many guys hurt.... That's funny he even admits he can't win at UK consistently.

The Future

December 04, 2014, 01:12:17 pm #3 Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:14:20 pm by The Future
I agree. Better rotations would be better.

Well the way I see it, if a team wants to be the national champion, they need to win their conference. In order to win their conference, they need to win their division. Duh right? Haha I know. 

Arkansas plays 12 games. 6 of which are the other 6 West teams.
That leaves 6 other games. Why schedule 3 or 4 teams from other conferences?
Sure each teams wants to schedule those handful of cupcake wins. But if some SEC teams play conference games while others dont, how do we tell which SEC team is better that week? Also how do those cupcakes feel? They don't get to schedule cupcakes for easy wins.

I say keep 12 games. Play the 6 division teams. Then if Arkansas wants to play 2 nobodys then ok. The other 4 need to be a rotation each year of SEC East teams. That way the West and East best play and the winner of the SEC will be a bit more "legit" because that team would have beaten a bigger portion of the SEC teams.

Or keep it simple. Play the 6 division teams twice for 12 games. Then the 2 winners play.

I wouldn't vote for the second option nor am I promoting it. But I believe the first option would work. If you want to be the best in your conference then play teams in your conference.

I have the same issue with OOS high school teams. Take Bennie. Plays 3 OOS teams the first 3 weeks. So we put them in our rankings without truly and factually knowing how they far against Arkansas teams that season.  If you want to be the best in Arkansas, then play Arkansas teams.

Uncle Ivan

Apparently the schedule isn't murderous enough.

beach bum

December 04, 2014, 01:18:12 pm #5 Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:26:55 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 04, 2014, 01:14:50 pm
Apparently the schedule isn't murderous enough.

Actually yes, there is a reason I watch NFL over college. Its the highest level possible. Everyone has at least 3 losses. One division everyone is at least 7-5. Its more exciting. One cupcake is enough in college. All the other games should be in between the 5 power conferences. Everyone does what Arkansas does but I am just using an example. But do we really need to play UT Martin, UTEP, and Toledo in non conference next year. I'd rather replace 2 of those games with lets say a Wisconsin and Minnesota. At least, that way you are playing other power 5 conferences. I just get lost not caring during non conference games..... However in return even if an SEC team has 2 or 3 losses but you know they are 1 of the top 4 teams put them in the playoff. Then put a 10-2 SEC team in over an undefeated Big Ten team if the Big Ten team plays nobody(Ohio State, cough cough  ;D )

Lionheart88

In the NFL you don't have a committee deciding who gets spots in the Final Four.  A 9-game SEC schedule would be likely to lead to more losses even for the top-rated teams.  Even as an SEC Champion, would a 11-2 or 10-3 Alabama get picked for the playoff?

beach bum

December 04, 2014, 01:33:53 pm #7 Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:36:49 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 04, 2014, 01:30:18 pm
In the NFL you don't have a committee deciding who gets spots in the Final Four.  A 9-game SEC schedule would be likely to lead to more losses even for the top-rated teams.  Even as an SEC Champion, would a 11-2 or 10-3 Alabama get picked for the playoff?

Yea that was my main thing.... Its so stupid. ESPN just wants a team from every geographical region to keep as many fans as engaged in the playoff as possible..... That's why it needs to go from 4 to 8 fast. I would love for TCU, Baylor, and Ohio State play in the SEC West. TCU was having trouble tackling Kansas. They would all be 8-4 or 9-3 in the SEC. They are all solid teams but would never be in the discussion if in the SEC.

ricepig

Ain't going to happen anytime soon. And as far as scheduling cupcakes, the Big guys need the home games for money, and the cupcakes need the games for their budget.

beach bum

Quote from: ricepig on December 04, 2014, 01:35:20 pm
Ain't going to happen anytime soon. And as far as scheduling cupcakes, the Big guys need the home games for money, and the cupcakes need the games for their budget.

Exactly, or there would be more UAB/Hawaii situations.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas