• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011-2012 Arkansas Basketball

Started by Romeo, May 19, 2011, 04:22:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fastdrop

November 23, 2011, 01:46:22 pm #100 Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:50:05 pm by fastdrop
Quote from: Smithian on November 23, 2011, 01:26:58 pm
Quote from: fastdrop on November 23, 2011, 01:18:24 pm
Utah State ----  ;D

If you think Tennessee is a horrible basketball team and you squeak by UTAH STATE in the last couple minuets of the game.... you have a rude awakening coming.

Everybody plays Nolan's 40 minuets of heck now ..... and all you guys have as a coach is a retread.
Look, I know you're proud of Memphis State College basketball, but come on now.

We have a reason to dream.

Many Elite Eights, Six Final Fours, Two National Championship Appearances, and a National Championship have a way of doing that to you.

How does Memphis State compare to that? I'll even allow you to use vacated wins.
Old Arguments young Smithian.

We are not talking about the Tigers nor are we talking about the glory days of Nolan and Eddie.

We are talking about the here and now...... Razorback 2011 basketball. I am not too impressed so far and as far as dreaming that the Nolan days are right around the corner just because you made his assistant a rich man.... I guess it is your right to dream.

Smithian

Has a Mike Anderson coached team or Memphis State made an Elite Eight more recently?

fastdrop

Dream on my friend...dream on.

just to be fair .... I did figure that the Hog football team would lose 3 to 4 games this year. They could still lose 3 though ---  ;)

dc24

Utah State ----  ;D

If you think Tennessee is a horrible basketball team and you squeak by UTAH STATE in the last couple minuets of the game.... you have a rude awakening coming.

Everybody plays Nolan's 40 minuets of heck now ..... and all you guys have as a coach is a retread.

Actually the hogs played Utah VALLEY State, the Wolverines.  They have a player in the NBA by the name of Ronnie Price.  ASU played them a handful of years ago when I was in school. 

If it was Utah State, then you would be talking about a program that has been to the NCAAs the last few years and ALWAYS has a good team.  I'm pretty sure they'd give Arkansas and Memphis all they want.  They are a VERY good basketball program.

If you're going to argue people, at least get your facts straight.

Romeo

Utah State ----  ;D

Utah Valley not Utah State and that same team beat Houston by 13 points on the road.

fastdrop

Quote from: dc24 on November 23, 2011, 06:56:30 pm
Utah State ----  ;D

Actually the hogs played Utah VALLEY State, the Wolverines.  They have a player in the NBA by the name of Ronnie Price.  ASU played them a handful of years ago when I was in school. 

If it was Utah State, then you would be talking about a program that has been to the NCAAs the last few years and ALWAYS has a good team.  I'm pretty sure they'd give Arkansas and Memphis all they want.  They are a VERY good basketball program.

I can argue with people anytime I want  ---- facts are a minor inconvenience. Especially when talking about any basketball team out of Utah.

Romeo

Quote from: fastdrop on November 23, 2011, 07:50:50 pm
Quote from: dc24 on November 23, 2011, 06:56:30 pm
Utah State ----  ;D

I can argue with people anytime I want  ---- facts are a minor inconvenience. Especially when talking about any basketball team out of Utah.

Yeah, that BYU team that went 32-5 was pretty bad last year.

Brian G

fastdrop

Brian G

fastdrop

Hoghead

Quote from: B.G. on November 23, 2011, 08:13:24 pm
The one with the fornicator?
Him and his girlfriend escaped from being stoned when he agreed to leave the team last year at BYU. They were the only ones on campus who admitted to fornicating. The other students at BYU don't fornicate at all thru 4 years of college.

Romeo

Is it just me or has the lack of interest in Arkansas Basketball fallen further even with Pelphrey no longer coaching?

DerekOxford

Quote from: Romeo on November 30, 2011, 07:39:11 pm
Is it just me or has the lack of interest in Arkansas Basketball fallen further even with Pelphrey no longer coaching?

Once Mike proves that he can win with this bunch of players and football season is officially over, the fans will come back.

This team has a lot of upside, and has made a ton of improvement from last season. Even without Powell, I still think they can win close to 20 games.

fastdrop

Quote from: DerekOxford on November 30, 2011, 07:43:53 pm
Quote from: Romeo on November 30, 2011, 07:39:11 pm

Once Mike proves that he can win with this bunch of players and football season is officially over, the fans will come back.

This team has a lot of upside, and has made a ton of improvement from last season. Even without Powell, I still think they can win close to 20 games.
You are going to get some marquee players on the Hill to get fans to want to come...... When times were good ---- it was not just Sutton or Nolan it was the players.... that brought in the fans.

Indiana Jones

down only 7 at  UConn I like  how we're playing

Romeo

I'm surprised someone even discussed the game today. Its pitiful. Were making mistakes but were continuing to play hard against UConn. We have to shoot better in order to have a chance.

AT

Am I the only one who thinks these announcers didn't realize we were down by 7? They acted like we were losing by 40 before they looked at the scoreboard right before the half ended.

cav2012

Nemesis

The announcers were giving mad props to the Arkansas freshmen, particularly Young.  The team, as a whole, played with fire.  IMO, Abrams may be the sleeper...

fastdrop

I remember when the Hogs actually won games against good teams.

Hoghead

This Young group will get better and win in the SEC. They're not a national power. But I see a upside in the youth of this team. Recruit some shooters and a BIG MAN and they will prosper. Losing to UCONN today isn't the end of the world.

MrNash13

December 04, 2011, 02:15:31 am #122 Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:17:17 am by MrNash13
We need a few more BJ Youngs lol! The kid is a baller! Good kid too, I've had the pleasure to meet him.. The future is bright for this team.  Good things take time.  Devonta Abron was a definite difference maker.  Tell me the last time a Hog had 16 rebounds in a game....  We outrebounded UConn on the O-glass 27-4. Tell me the last time that happened... Abron will be a good player, and hopefully this game will give him a confidence boost.  I was impressed with the way our young team handled themselves today. 

Hoghead

Quote from: MrNash13 on December 04, 2011, 02:15:31 am
We need a few more BJ Youngs lol! The kid is a baller! Good kid too, I've had the pleasure to meet him.. The future is bright for this team.  Good things take time.  Devonta Abron was a definite difference maker.  Tell me the last time a Hog had 16 rebounds in a game....  We outrebounded UConn on the O-glass 27-4. Tell me the last time that happened... Abron will be a good player, and hopefully this game will give him a confidence boost.  I was impressed with the way our young team handled themselves today. 
BJ Young will be ALL-SEC 1st team before its all said and done for. This squad will be a joy to watch and grow with !!

AirWarren

Having ZERO inside presence is very very frustrating.

Romeo

Anytime you shoot 34% from the field and only make 7 of 27 3 point attempts your going to lose every time. It's going to take some time to build the program back to respectability. It's already the lowest interest on basketball I've seen on fearless Friday at this point.

ATU

If Wade and Scott keep starting i will not be watching any more hog games they suck.

MrNash13

I'll start by saying today's game was extremely hard to watch... UGLY. OU is a solid team.
But, guys, let's stop dogging the Hogs already.  Indiana in the first two years of Tom Creen's tenure were awful, and only won 3 Big Ten games just last season.  But look at them now, taking down a national powerhouse.  Good things take time, and can't help but think that Hog Ball could possibly be like IU now next season if we get Jarnell Stokes.  Plus, our young guys would be a year older and more comfortable in the new system and Marshawn back.

InYoGrill

December 10, 2011, 07:49:11 pm #128 Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:53:12 pm by InYoGrill
Quote from: MrNash13 on December 10, 2011, 07:30:58 pm
I'll start by saying today's game was extremely hard to watch... UGLY. OU is a solid team.
But, guys, let's stop dogging the Hogs already.  Indiana in the first two years of Tom Creen's tenure were awful, and only won 3 Big Ten games just last season.  But look at them now, taking down a national powerhouse.  Good things take time, and can't help but think that Hog Ball could possibly be like IU now next season if we get Jarnell Stokes.  Plus, our young guys would be a year older and more comfortable in the new system and Marshawn back.

This year will be hard to follow and watch. I can see glimmers of hope from our FR especially BJ but all the other varsity players other than Marshawn are lower level players so that means we will lose a lot this year but the future will be good cause MA is the man for the job and even when we lose I have more respect for the team now with coach MA leading them. Patience this year Hog fans.

fastdrop

I warned you guys before you got MA.

Frank Broyles is a happy man ---- Arkansas is back to being a football school.

AirWarren

Who cares what that old fart thinks. He is a has been.

This team will mature and be just fine.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: fastdrop on December 03, 2011, 10:10:47 pm

I remember when Tiger High wasn't a daily NCAA violation magnet.

fastdrop

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 11, 2011, 03:07:42 pm
Quote from: fastdrop on December 03, 2011, 10:10:47 pm

I remember when Tiger High wasn't a daily NCAA violation magnet.
you have not been walking this earth long enough to remember that

Eagle20

I can't even get interested in the Razorbacks.  The only way to win championships with that style of play, fun to watch or not, is to have the best players.  Getting those players may or may not happen in the next few years.  I like the uptempo game but you have to be able to play a half court grind it out game sometimes and I don't see them ever getting to that point.   They play hard but it is just not complete basketball to me.  I think they will win some games in the next few years but championships will escape their grasp.

mack

Quote from: Romeo on December 10, 2011, 06:13:43 pm
Anytime you shoot 34% from the field and only make 7 of 27 3 point attempts your going to lose every time. It's going to take some time to build the program back to respectability. It's already the lowest interest on basketball I've seen on fearless Friday at this point.

I'm amazed at the amount of open looks that we get.  Considering we have no inside scoring threat, that is unusual.  I can only surmise that this group of kids moves the ball better and are less selfish than some in the past.  The shooting % bothers me greatly.  Freshman or not, a shooter is a shooter.  We need some guys who can shoot the ball.  I believe Mike will get them.  We just need to give him time.  Other than a great fresman class, he pretty much came into a bare cupboard.

pantherblue

This team already looks better losing then Pelfry's team did winning...  Wins are going to come very soon!!

zebradynasty

I agree with PB I already see more to be optimistic about in this team than I was with Pel! These kids already know more about playing defense than any of Pels squads. The shooting will come (remember we lost our leading scorer) but there is more than enough already on this team to lay a good foundation and build upon that. Big men and shooters next few classes and things will be rockin in Bud Walton again!

Big Fan

Quote from: AW on December 11, 2011, 11:17:00 am

That "old fart" made it possible for your Warren boys to play on the big stage.  Respect your past.  imo

AirWarren

Quote from: Big Fan on December 13, 2011, 08:29:12 pm

That "old fart" made it possible for your Warren boys to play on the big stage.  Respect your past.  imo

I know nothing of that time period and he had zero to do with it. Him finally having his grubby hands off the program has allowed even more growth. Could have sent 4 Warren boys there if he wouldn't have kept a coach there he knew would not outshine him that ran a boring run left, run right, run up the middle style. 

But oh well. This is a bball thread. No need to get into that here.

Romeo

Wrong. Its the other way around. The Warren boys that went to Tennessee and what happened to them made it possible for Arkansas to have our players.

Big Fan

Quote from: Romeo on December 14, 2011, 01:27:13 am

Wrong. Its the other way around. The Warren boys that went to Tennessee and what happened to them made it possible for Arkansas to have our players.
My point is that the "old fart" put Arkansas on the big stage.  Anyone with a knowledge of UA athletics can see that. 

The Tennessee part I agree with.

Romeo

Mike Anderson must really love Arkansas to leave that Missouri team with seven seniors and a top point guard to fall into this situation where fans are turning their backs on the program.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on December 19, 2011, 03:07:00 pm
Mike Anderson must really love Arkansas to leave that Missouri team with seven seniors and a top point guard to fall into this situation where fans are turning their backs on the program.
The program has been through so much turmoil since the glory years. We have a long way to go to turn this thing around. If Mike loves this program like he says he will do it but the people have to be patient.

Go hogs! Congrats on the win tonight!

MONSTER

Anderson left that good team with all of those seniors so he could put Arkansas his first love back on the map! He remembers the good ol days with Nolan and how everyone in the state was fired up about Razorback basketball.  I know we will be fine by next year but I'm not giving up on this year yet. If we can somehow find a prescense down low we will be dangerous come late Feb or March. 

PressBox-81

I am putting my butt in a seat with my son on Thursday night to watch them play LA Tech.  I went to all the games as a student but that was before Bud Walton and have always cheered for the Hogs no matter how bad the season has been.

AirWarren

bleudog

Quote from: AW on December 22, 2011, 08:52:20 pm
Hogs beat La tech 77-63

Go hogs.

But didn't the kid from Jacksonville have a good game?

Louisiana Tech

Name                      FG         3Pt       FT      PF    Pts
Raheem Appleby  10-21      2-4       1-2     3     23

AirWarren

That he did. We could use a seasoned player like that.

PressBox-81

Quote from: bleudog on December 22, 2011, 09:18:54 pm
Quote from: AW on December 22, 2011, 08:52:20 pm
Hogs beat La tech 77-63

Go hogs.

But didn't the kid from Jacksonville have a good game?

Louisiana Tech

Name                      FG         3Pt       FT      PF    Pts
Raheem Appleby  10-21      2-4       1-2     3     23

I watched him play in high school and he is still able to run the floor like he did at Jacksonville.  Still thin but gets the ball in the hole and the Hogs just kind of ignored him last night but I also noticed he could not keep up the pace.  He got winded a couple times early in the first half.

Romeo

Quote from: AW on December 22, 2011, 09:30:16 pm
That he did. We could use a seasoned player like that.

He's a freshman.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas