• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Arkansas Razorback Baseball Thread

Started by Chosen 1, February 16, 2010, 07:09:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chosen 1

Season starts in 3 days (Friday the 19th) with a home series against Ball State.

Go Hogs

InYoGrill

Seems like the media is real high on this team. It was very exciting year last year and a great run to Omaha. I hope the baseball team starts a good tradition of getting there. With Van Horn I think it is very capable. Go Hogs!

jbell96

Baseball America has us ranked #18 to start the season. I'm ready to see what we can do. I have high hopes for this team, but pitching depth is probably a concern again this year, but I'm still hopeful we can make it to Omaha again this year. Especially since it will be the last year the CWS is at Rosenblatt.

RD™

InYoGrill

Quote from: jbell96 on February 16, 2010, 07:44:17 pm
Baseball America has us ranked #18 to start the season. I'm ready to see what we can do. I have high hopes for this team, but pitching depth is probably a concern again this year, but I'm still hopeful we can make it to Omaha again this year. Especially since it will be the last year the CWS is at Rosenblatt.

Where will it be played after next year?

RD™

InYoGrill

bulldogs1159

18th? What a joke. We are a top ten team and I would put us at top 5 preseason.

jbell96

J-lo, you know there are certain teams that they will over rank during the preseason, but I don't mind beign 18th. It should give us a reason to play with a chip on our shoulder.

bulldogs1159

Baseball America has always had us low. I think Aaron Fitt is the only guy on there who will give us props from time to time.

Last year when we were top 5 on everyones rankings we were still like 12 on BA.

AB™

When I heard Arkansas' preseason rankings in the various polls I was surprised.  I thought they were a lock to be a preseason top 10 team, and the highest I've heard them being ranked is 16th.  How many people does Arkansas return off of last year's team?  I was under the impression Arkansas had quite a bit returning, and couldn't believe a team that  made the Final Four of the CWS last year that is returning so many players, couldn't be ranked any lower than the top 10-12. 

MUHawk

Pitching depth is definitely a concern, but Van Horn is putting all the pressure on his offense. I think our bats can offset the lack of pitching depth, but some pitchers are going to have to step up for us to make it back to the CWS.

RGP

MUHawk

Can't wait. I'm listening to it online as we speak. Or type.

RHS

MUHawk

RGP

After 3 innings, Arkansas 3 Ball State 0.

Bo Bigham left the game with what appeared to be a shoulder injury. Hope everything is okay, he had already made one great catch and was attempting to make another play when the apparent injury occurred. He can play and we'll need him.

Otherwise, everything looks great. Watching it on Razorvision, the crowd looks good as well as the weather.

RGP

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on February 19, 2010, 04:18:36 pm
Lane Kiffin?
Tennessee wasn't the first to use that phrase, nor the most notable to ever use it.

Obama's already called it for 2012.

jbell96

Bigham's injury is a separated shoulder so he's going to be out for quite some time. Man that is a big blow.

jbell96

Hogs win 10-2. We scored five runs off four Sac Fly's and a passed ball. Wilkinson homered in the 7th for the Hogs only dinger. Bolsinger got the win with 5 effective innings. Nice way to start the year, but Bigham's injury puts a damper on things.

MUHawk

I have a friend who is friends with Bigham's little brother. He said it is a dislocated shoulder and is estimated to be out for 2 weeks.

RHS

That sounds a lot better than being out for a while.

AB™

Quote from: MUHawk on February 19, 2010, 06:30:42 pm
I have a friend who is friends with Bigham's little brother.

A friend of a friend of Bigham's little brother.  Only four degrees of separation between you and Bigham.  That sounds like a reliable source.  ;)

MUHawk

Well if it helps I actually saw the post telling him that it was a dislocated shoulder and he would be out 2 weeks. Haha.

rsvl_hogfan4

He is right, it will only be 2 to 3 weeks. It is his non-throwing shoulder so that helps, too.

AB™

Quote from: MUHawk on February 19, 2010, 09:13:50 pm
Well if it helps I actually saw the post telling him that it was a dislocated shoulder and he would be out 2 weeks. Haha.

I was just giving you a hard time.  That source and to that degree is a lot more reliable than some of the other sources that cause people to start "breaking news" threads.

RGP

Wow, the starter for today's game worked 3 innings in all of last year. He wasn't even projected to be in the midweek rotation, so I'm curious what the deal with Smyly is. Regardless, best of luck to Davenport.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: RGP on February 20, 2010, 12:01:40 pm
Wow, the starter for today's game worked 3 innings in all of last year. He wasn't even projected to be in the midweek rotation, so I'm curious what the deal with Smyly is. Regardless, best of luck to Davenport.
I think he broke team rules.

RHS

We were down 5-2 when I got out of my car. We had left 10 runners on base going into the 8th, 5 of which I would guess were in scoring position. Had bases loaded with 2 outs and Eibner struck out. Twice had a runner on 2nd with 1 out only to have a K/Fly out combination to end the inning.

Marionpats07™

Korrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiii sssssssssuuuuuuuucccckssssssss, hahahaha

MUHawk

We won 9-2 today in case anyone didn't already know. Monk Kreder had a good day today.

InYoGrill

Quote from: RHS on February 20, 2010, 04:28:28 pm
We were down 5-2 when I got out of my car. We had left 10 runners on base going into the 8th, 5 of which I would guess were in scoring position. Had bases loaded with 2 outs and Eibner struck out. Twice had a runner on 2nd with 1 out only to have a K/Fly out combination to end the inning.

Top teams score some of those runners especially at home. I hate to lose games to small schools like Ball St. I mean we really have a top 20 team and to lose even 1 game in a series at Baum has got to be killing Van Horn. I like the expectations of this team but we need to sweep all these small schools even though I know they all have at least one ace. Our pitching depth should also shutdown the smaller teams hitters. Go Hogs!

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: InYoGrill on February 23, 2010, 06:43:59 am

Top teams score some of those runners especially at home. I hate to lose games to small schools like Ball St. I mean we really have a top 20 team and to lose even 1 game in a series at Baum has got to be killing Van Horn. I like the expectations of this team but we need to sweep all these small schools even though I know they all have at least one ace. Our pitching depth should also shutdown the smaller teams hitters. Go Hogs!
Our pitching depth? Oh, you mean the same pitching that is our biggest concern and keeping us out of the top 10 to start the season? We had a bad game, and pitched 2 freshmen in our loss. It was their first ever college game in case you didn't know what freshmen meant. Davenport gave up 2 in the first inning and then settled down for the next 3 or 4. Baxendale gave up 3 in his 2nd inning I believe. Every team is going to lose a game to an inferior opponent in baseball, and I do mean EVERY team. #1 Texas lost their opening series at home to New Mexico. Ole Miss lost to Louisiana Monroe. San Diego lost to Indiana and Coastal Carolina lost to Kentucky. We have nothing to worry about.

AB™

February 23, 2010, 02:54:01 pm #36 Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:37:17 pm by AB™
I'm not questioning the Hogs pitching depth, or lack thereof, but yesterday on Bo's show they had a guy from Baseball America on there, and they were both talking about how the Hogs actually have some pitching depth this year, which he said is something they didn't have much of last year.

InYoGrill

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on February 23, 2010, 09:02:41 am

Our pitching depth? Oh, you mean the same pitching that is our biggest concern and keeping us out of the top 10 to start the season? We had a bad game, and pitched 2 freshmen in our loss. It was their first ever college game in case you didn't know what freshmen meant. Davenport gave up 2 in the first inning and then settled down for the next 3 or 4. Baxendale gave up 3 in his 2nd inning I believe. Every team is going to lose a game to an inferior opponent in baseball, and I do mean EVERY team. #1 Texas lost their opening series at home to New Mexico. Ole Miss lost to Louisiana Monroe. San Diego lost to Indiana and Coastal Carolina lost to Kentucky. We have nothing to worry about.

Not worried there Broyles JR. Do you like live with Frank cause you seem overly confident on all your posts about everything on every topic of the Hogs.

RHS

Quote from: AB™ on February 23, 2010, 02:54:01 pm
I'm not questioning the Hogs pitching depth, or lack thereof, but yesterday on Bo's show they had a guy from Baseball America on there, and they were both talking about how the Hogs actually have some pitching depth this year, which he said is something they didn't have much of last year.

We may have more arms than last year, but some of them are not proven and we don't have that ace like we did in Keuchel.

RGP

We had a bad game, and pitched 2 freshmen in our loss. It was their first ever college game in case you didn't know what freshmen meant.
Negative. Only DJ Baxendale was a freshman. It was only his first ever college game, in case your math escapes you.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: RGP on February 23, 2010, 04:17:51 pm
We had a bad game, and pitched 2 freshmen in our loss. It was their first ever college game in case you didn't know what freshmen meant.
Negative. Only DJ Baxendale was a freshman. It was only his first ever college game, in case your math escapes you.
You are right Davenport isn't a freshman, he is a sophomore, but it was his first career start...lol

Quote from: InYoGrill on February 23, 2010, 03:31:45 pm

Not worried there Broyles JR. Do you like live with Frank cause you seem overly confident on all your posts about everything on every topic of the Hogs.
Lol, Frank? That is a first time. I have been called many things, but never Broyles. You said we had enough pitching depth that we shouldn't have lost any games to them. We pitched 2 pitchers that had never pitched a game for Arkansas, and lost 5-2 on a day when many top 25 teams lost. Like Kirk said, we have more arms, but only a few are proven. We lost two key pitchers off last year's team.

AB™

You're blood pressure is going to be off the charts high then, because they won't be the last small school Arkansas loses too in baseball.  And it's not like Ball State is a terrible small school.  They are the favorites to win the MAC. 

bulldogs1159

People who don't know anything about college baseball are the ones that get upset about these type losses.

jbell96

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on February 23, 2010, 06:46:23 pm
People who don't know anything about college baseball are the ones that get upset about these type losses.

Exactly. Baseball is the one NCAA D1 sport where the little guys can beat the big guys with regularity. I don't see Cardinal fans ripping the team after they lose a game to the Pirates or Nationals. That is the equivalent of complaining about losing one game to Ball State.

MUHawk

What people don't understand is that it is VERY hard to sweep a team in baseball. But what does matter is that you win the series' that you are supposed to win. IE: Ball State. Which we did. You can make a case for the Hogs not being up to par when they lose a series to a team like NJIT.

RHS

Wilkins and McCann with homers and the Hogs lead 3-1 in the 5th (I think).

RGP

Brett Eibner with his first HR of the year to make it 5-1. It was a sweet swing....

jbell96

Quote from: RGP on February 26, 2010, 04:46:12 pm
Brett Eibner with his first HR of the year to make it 5-1. It was a sweet swing....

Not as sweet as the one he against Virginia in the CWS last year. That one still hasn't landed yet.

jbell96

Hogs get 5 in the 7th to break the game open. Up 10-1 in the bottom of the 8th.

Chosen 1

Final 10-1... Something just doesn't feel right watching baseball in 30 degree weather

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas