• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who wins 3a this year? 2019

Started by Hitman Warrior23, November 27, 2018, 12:32:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RedWolf275

Always helps to bring in a difference maker like Patterson.

ISU7

January 23, 2019, 09:47:59 am #101 Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:53:21 am by ISU7
Quote from: 501Arkansas on January 18, 2019, 08:53:34 am
Noles and lions have been running the table in the conference last couple years now. It'll be the same this year. Reminds me of Osceola and Jonesboro westside when we where in 4a. Use to be some fun battles against westside. Love to see Manila and Osceola play now. Has been good so far
Running the conference is cool but winning it all is better and no team in this county have won it all since 2010-2011 and thats the school off I-55 exit 41. So lets step up a notch fellows... ;D 8)

ISU7

Quote from: Head Lion on January 17, 2019, 09:53:44 pm
I wouldn't call Trumann down & Brown can "go off" on any team. Just saying 3 of the top 7 in enrollment numbers are in same conference.
Listen too Head Lion the guy knows basketball and the Chicago Cubs. ;D BTW last night at Osceola , Crest D. Brown 21 pts 15 rebs 10 assts. player of the game. Nice call Head Lion.

ISU7

January 23, 2019, 10:33:49 am #103 Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:38:30 am by ISU7
Quote from: Fatbackhawgballz on January 12, 2019, 01:27:47 pm
It's wide open I think. Prep probably stands the best chance but a Tuckerman, Manila, Osceola, Trumann, Drew Central, Harding Academy can all beat anyone on any given night.
Even thought Crest has beat Osceola twice huh! 8)

Head Lion

Quote from: ISU7 on January 23, 2019, 10:06:43 am
Listen too Head Lion the guy knows basketball and the Chicago Cubs. ;D BTW last night at Osceola , Crest D. Brown 21 pts 15 rebs 10 assts. player of the game. Nice call Head Lion.
Anyone who underestimates this young mans ability to take over a game, do so at your own peril.

Fatbackhawgballz

Quote from: ISU7 on January 23, 2019, 10:33:49 am
Even thought Crest has been Osceola twice huh! 8)
There's no doubt Rivercrest is talented enough to beat anyone on any given night. To make a run at the title though requires a level of consistency they haven't showed.

ISU7

January 26, 2019, 08:39:31 am #106 Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:35:27 pm by ISU7
Quote from: Fatbackhawgballz on January 23, 2019, 12:30:43 pm
There's no doubt Rivercrest is talented enough to beat anyone on any given night. To make a run at the title though requires a level of consistency they haven't showed.
And that consistency is needed in the postseason tourneys.  8) so far the only team on that list with any kid of consistency is Manila and B. Prep. 8)

biglion1985

From what I have seen Booneville also has been doing pretty good

LRRandy

Quote from: biglion1985 on January 26, 2019, 10:33:02 am
From what I have seen Booneville also has been doing pretty good
I'm really curious to see them play.

teachers pet

True, but they barely beat Jessieville and Fountain Lake.

biglion1985

I am just going by what I seen on maxpreps

ZoneBuster

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 11, 2019, 07:06:03 pm
To lazy to look it up...when was their last one...

A lot more recent than Manila's lol

ISU7

Bearcatpride

Quote from: teachers pet on January 26, 2019, 10:52:26 am
True, but they barely beat Jessieville and Fountain Lake.

Yes both games against Jessieville were close.  The first game against Jessieville, Booneville was without 2 of their big men (6'6" out due to a collapsed lung and having to have surgery, 6'9" out due to an enlarged Spleen from an illness) during the first game.  The 2nd game was at Jessieville which is a tough team to play in their home gym. 
Booneville beat Fountain Lake by 15pts the first time they played.  Booneville traveled to Fountain Lake Thursday night and won by 3pts.  Fountain Lake was 18-4 and in 2nd place in the conference.  So to say Booneville barely beat these teams shouldn't be the judgment of how good Booneville is this season.  If that is the case then I bet if you look at other teams around the state then the same can be said about them.  Maybe this should be thrown into the equation.  Booneville has beat Waldron twice this year as well, once by 4 pts and once by 13pts along with holding Peyton Brown to 12 pts in one of those games.  Or how about that Booneville beat Class AA #4 ranked (Maxpreps) Lavaca by 34pts. So lets look at what Booneville has done throughout the season rather than judging them over a couple of games especially if you haven't seen them play.

teachers pet

I guess what I  tried to say not very well is Booneville is a very good team, maybe the 3A-4 is a lot stronger than people realize.

Fatbackhawgballz

Quote from: ISU7 on January 26, 2019, 08:39:31 am
And that consistency is needed in the postseason tourneys.  8) so far the only team on that list with any kid of consistency is Manila and B. Prep. 8)
What about Tuckerman? They're 27-3 on the year. They've lost twice to Harding Academy by 5 and 7 points. Harding Academy in my honest opinion is the best team at this moment in 3A2 or 3A3. The other loss came to Trumann at Trumann in a 2 point game. Trumann is like Rivercrest all over the board.

Ctucker

Quote from: Fatbackhawgballz on January 27, 2019, 08:18:31 am
What about Tuckerman? They're 27-3 on the year. They've lost twice to Harding Academy by 5 and 7 points. Harding Academy in my honest opinion is the best team at this moment in 3A2 or 3A3. The other loss came to Trumann at Trumann in a 2 point game. Trumann is like Rivercrest all over the board.
In 3a right now I would say 1Prep 2 HA 3 Manila 4 Tuckerman

RedWolf275

Quote from: Ctucker on January 27, 2019, 09:22:57 am
In 3a right now I would say 1Prep 2 HA 3 Manila 4 Tuckerman

I'd reverse Tuckerman and Manila. I watched Tuckerman post a solid win against Manila in the NEA tourney.

Head Lion

Quote from: RedWolf275 on January 27, 2019, 09:46:37 am
I'd reverse Tuckerman and Manila. I watched Tuckerman post a solid win against Manila in the NEA tourney.
yea, but that was under the curse of the NEA & Convo Center. 😫

Fatbackhawgballz

January 27, 2019, 10:01:02 am #119 Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 10:04:13 am by Fatbackhawgballz
The NEA game was a good game. I have to admit it's the only time I've watched Manila play. So I can't say that it would be the same result every time. I did feel like Manila played a good game. I do agree with Prep being 1 and HA being 2. I would say that in no certain order Tuckerman, Manila, and Booneville round out the top 5. I think Valley Springs will check out early.

Ctucker

Quote from: RedWolf275 on January 27, 2019, 09:46:37 am
I would buy that reasoning! I still say Prep will win it but I think it's not going to be as easy as I once thought!

BannerMountainMan

It's going to be hard for Valley to win outside of Valley.

RamblinRazorWreck

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 28, 2019, 10:11:41 am
It's going to be hard for Valley to win outside of Valley.

19-2 "outside of Valley" does not help make your point.  Could you be more specific about what you mean by this?

Head Lion

I hate to be a realist and a stick in the mud, but barring injury or a NC State vs Houston, Villanova vs Georgetown game, we are all playing for 2nd place. I have seen Baptist, feel like HA, Tuckerman & Manila of the teams I have seen can hang. When it gets crutch time, it will take a herculean effort to overcome McBride and company. Just keeping it real, sucks.

Mustang_4

You may be a realist but you are right on point Head Lion. McBride is on a completely different level!!!

Head Lion

Quote from: RamblinRazorWreck on January 28, 2019, 10:43:50 am
19-2 "outside of Valley" does not help make your point.  Could you be more specific about what you mean by this?
I have a better chance at scoring with Jennifer Love Hewitt than Valley does of making it past 2nd round of state tournament. Fact!

KellyGreen

Quote from: Head Lion on January 28, 2019, 03:34:01 pm
I have a better chance at scoring with Jennifer Love Hewitt than Valley does of making it past 2nd round of state tournament. Fact!
Just wondering how many Valley games you've watched this season?

Head Lion

Quote from: KellyGreen on January 28, 2019, 07:44:48 pm
Just wondering how many Valley games you've watched this season?
I know the last 3 times they played the Lions it was TURBO clock. 🤷🏼‍♂️

KellyGreen

Quote from: Head Lion on January 28, 2019, 08:26:09 pm
I know the last 3 times they played the Lions it was TURBO clock. 🤷🏼‍♂️
So none.  Tell me Nostradamus, will Manilla be in Hot Springs in the end?
And btw, don't sell yourself short, you might have a decent shot with JLH, gotta have confidence in yourself brother.

Head Lion

Quote from: KellyGreen on January 28, 2019, 08:40:16 pm
So none.  Tell me Nostradamus, will Manilla be in Hot Springs in the end?
And btw, don't sell yourself short, you might have a decent shot with JLH, gotta have confidence in yourself brother.
I think we are top 6-8 team. It just seems Valley always runs up a big regular season record against a very weak conference & 1&2A schools. Best of luck to the Tigers, I know they love their hoops. ✌🏼

KellyGreen

Quote from: Head Lion on January 28, 2019, 09:05:27 pm
I think we are top 6-8 team. It just seems Valley always runs up a big regular season record against a very weak conference & 1&2A schools. Best of luck to the Tigers, I know they love their hoops. ✌🏼
I couldn't agree more.  I'd say the same about Valley this year.  Not the previous couple years.  Best of luck to the Lions and maybe a cold shooting night if we see you guys in State.  😂

Ball Hog

Valley's conference is definitely weak on the boys side this year and they have also played a lot of 1A and 2A schools in the non-conference.  They have a good team but I don't see them going very far in the state tournament.  They just haven't played many teams that have enough length to match up with them.  That won't be the case in the tournament.  Also, they don't seem to have a lot of depth.
And don't kid yourself, they have a distinct advantage when playing at home.  I heard that they only got called for two fouls the entire game against Marshall last week.  I've never even heard of a team only getting two fouls in a game.

KellyGreen

Quote from: Ball Hog on January 29, 2019, 08:28:12 am
Valley's conference is definitely weak on the boys side this year and they have also played a lot of 1A and 2A schools in the non-conference.  They have a good team but I don't see them going very far in the state tournament.  They just haven't played many teams that have enough length to match up with them.  That won't be the case in the tournament.  Also, they don't seem to have a lot of depth.
And don't kid yourself, they have a distinct advantage when playing at home.  I heard that they only got called for two fouls the entire game against Marshall last week.  I've never even heard of a team only getting two fouls in a game.

I was at the Marshall game and it's possible in 1 half they had 2 fouls called against Valley, probably the 1st half.  Marshall held the ball at near 1/2 court for a couple minutes and then only attempted 3's the rest of the 1st qtr.  They were even more perimeter oriented in the 2nd quarter, absolutely nothing going to the rim or dribble drives at all.  It's hard to get a team to foul you if all that team does is pass it around the perimeter and shoot deep threes.

The conf is down a bit from pervious years, I agree there.  As far as having an advantage of playing at home, I would hope so.  Depth being a possible issue is spot on, that is the one thing that worries me.

Valley has played a good amount of 1a (#4,#9,#10) and 2a (#8) teams due to proximity but have also traveled a lot to play 4 and 5 a teams and they've won all of those games away vs 4a and 5a teams.  They've only played 9 out of 30 games at Valley.

Valley may get bounced in the 1st round of state or they might make a run, hard to say until you see the matchup each round.   

Mustang_4

That is definitely true!! It all depends on who gets upset or doesn't get upset in Regionals that has a lot to do with how far a team goes in state.

RamblinRazorWreck

Lots of good discussion but no recent mention of Ashdown, who is ranked #2 on MaxPreps at present.

Anyone will have to bring it if they draw the Panthers.  Baptist beat them by 13 in the 4A State Tournament last year... but it was a competitive game, and Baptist had a lot more size last year.

Personally, I would give my FULL attention to every team in the Top 25 right now.

KellyGreen

Quote from: RamblinRazorWreck on January 29, 2019, 01:10:49 pm
Lots of good discussion but no recent mention of Ashdown, who is ranked #2 on MaxPreps at present.

Anyone will have to bring it if they draw the Panthers.  Baptist beat them by 13 in the 4A State Tournament last year... but it was a competitive game, and Baptist had a lot more size last year.

Personally, I would give my FULL attention to every team in the Top 25 right now.

I watched Ashdown lose to Harrison by 1 in their tourney earlier this year.  Ashdown is a quality ballclub for sure, play that game on a neutral floor and the outcome would probably be different.  That was the only time I've seen them so I'm sure they've improved.

Ralphina

Prescott played them on Friday and lost to them by one point in overtime.  Very good team.  Actually, both teams are pretty good.  I sure wouldn't sleep on them.  I also hear that Drew Central and Central( Helena-West Helena) are pretty good too!

hogdiggity

Quote from: RamblinRazorWreck on January 29, 2019, 01:10:49 pm

Friday's close game against Prescott was good for Ashdown.  They have been blowing everyone out lately and got awful relaxed I think.  Prescott has some good athletes.  Anyone that draws Ashdown in the tournament better be ready, they are fast and athletic with some very good shooters.  They have a few players with pretty good size.  One of the better ball handlers and shooters is just getting healthy again and played well Friday.  He hadn't played much since the Harrison tournament.

BannerMountainMan

Valley won't even win their district most likely, gotta get past Clinton a third time and the first two were close games and district is at Clinton. Bergman also.

KellyGreen

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 30, 2019, 03:51:21 pm
Valley won't even win their district most likely, gotta get past Clinton a third time and the first two were close games and district is at Clinton. Bergman also.
Valley has already beaten Clinton 3 times, twice at Clinton outside of another 2/31 from 3 and missing 10 free throw game against Bergman, I like our chances.  Good luck to your team.  Go Tigers.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: KellyGreen on January 30, 2019, 04:28:02 pm
  Valley has already beaten Clinton 3 times, twice at Clinton outside of another 2/31 from 3 and missing 10 free throw game against Bergman, I like our chances.  Good luck to your team.  Go Tigers.

2/31 from 3....Does Valley not have an option inside the arc? Cause at a point ya gotta accept that the 3 ball isn't going in

KellyGreen

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 30, 2019, 05:09:43 pm
2/31 from 3....Does Valley not have an option inside the arc? Cause at a point ya gotta accept that the 3 ball isn't going in
It was a bad bad bad game all around.  But yes, their strength is their post players.  I'm trying to block that horrendous game out of my memory.  Coach should have told them no more 3's regardless if they were open or not cause they couldn't throw it in the ocean that night.

Danold Dump

Y'all know them West Helena Cougars fixna do their thang....Don't y'all forget about em

LRRandy

Quote from: Danold Dump on January 31, 2019, 01:34:21 pm
Y'all know them West Helena Cougars fixna do their thang....Don't y'all forget about em
last time I heard that was at the final four in Malvern. The clock ran the whole 4th quarter. Not in Centrals favor.

CoolBreeze

Harding Academy proved Tuesday night that they are not invincible. Patterson had an outstanding good game. The others not so much. Bald Knob out hustled them and got the majority of the 50/50 balls. And the Wildcats could not stop Smithson, the Bulldog's 6' 6" guard.

Athough HA led for almost all of the first half, BK made a last second shot and took a 1-point lead into the locker room. The Bulldogs added to their lead at the start of the 2nd half but never managed to get it beyond single digits. Every time the Wildcats surged a bit, BK increased their lead again. Finally with about a minute to go, Patterson made two free throws to tie the game. They got the stop and took their first lead of the second half at 56-54 with only seconds to go. BK threw away the inbound pass, and the Wildcats survived.

Although HA did get the W, they could easily have lost to a good, but not great, team. They had better take care lest that happen in the tournament.

HorseFeathers

FoxandHound34

Won't be Valley Springs, they can't even beat middle of the pack 1A teams

NEABBALLFAN03

Quote from: FoxandHound34 on February 01, 2019, 09:49:15 pm
Won't be Valley Springs, they can't even beat middle of the pack 1A teams
+1

Ball Hog

I guess they needed this one to be at Valley. 😂

FoxandHound34

February 01, 2019, 11:12:00 pm #149 Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:18:22 pm by FoxandHound34
Wonder what they're gonna do when they have to travel for regionals or state? Osceola sure won't take pity on them

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas