• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 3A State Bracket / Mansfield defeats Paris in 4

Started by sevenof400, October 15, 2014, 07:55:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

October 15, 2014, 07:55:08 pm Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:16:59 pm by sevenof400
Click here for the 3A state bracket and please discuss! 

2014 Class 3A State Volleyball – Oct 28 – Oct 30
Hosted by Bergman HS @ Harrison Parks & Rec

I know there is still the little matter of the district tournaments to play next week but it won't be long until the state tournament so let's get started. 

AllStarSportsFan

sevenof400

AllStarSportsFan

sevenof400

Quote from: AllStarSportsFan on October 15, 2014, 08:25:52 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on October 15, 2014, 08:24:48 pm
How is Mansfield this year?

Down.

They had a real good hitter a couple of years ago (I'm sure she's gone by now) but do you know if she  went to play college anywhere? 

With respect to the 3A Central, I don't see long stays at state for any of these teams.

1-Adam-12

October 15, 2014, 08:46:15 pm #5 Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:04:39 pm by 1-Adam-12
Paris is going to be tough to get around, however Mansfield beat them at the Paris tournament so they aren't going down without a fight.

The West looks like it will be pretty strong.  Paris is going to be the 1 seed at district.  Booneville plays Mansfield at Booneville tomorrow with the 2 seed at stake.  Likely Booneville would need a sweep because Mansfield won in 4 at Mansfield and one of the games was 25-6.  One way or another they will probably play each other at district too.

West Fork looks like they will finish 4, but Lavaca has been playing pretty well of late.  They took Mansfield to 5 games earlier in the season.  Keep those two in mind because the West gets their 4 seed in this time.

1-Adam-12

That hitter was Kaylie Pyles, who is playing at Henderson.

1-Adam-12

West district tournament is tomorrow and Tuesday at Paris.  Of course the Lady Eagles will be heavily favored.  I think the only two suspenseful items will be West Fork/Lavaca for the 4th seed, and Mansfield/Booneville for the 2nd.  With all due respect to Union/Mulberry I see no way of either team upsetting Booneville in the 3/6-7 match.

I have heard that Piggott and Walnut Ridge are probably two of the teams coming out of the Northeast. Probably Marianna, Jessieville and one other from the South; haven't heard a lot from Central or North.

sevenof400

I'll be checking out the action in the central tomorrow at Harding.  I believe Atkins is leading the way in the 3A Central this year but I have not had the chance to see them in action this season.

1-Adam-12

October 19, 2014, 07:17:40 pm #9 Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 07:52:23 pm by 1-Adam-12
We played Atkins the first game of the season at their place and beat them in three straight.  Gave us some problems the first two but the third we won fairly handily.

I saw them again at the Paris tournament, and they gave Mena a run for the money in one of the pool games.  I think it ended 27-25.

They have some height, their big girl will attack from anywhere. They are not deep; when we played them they had only one sub. At Paris I saw three on the bench so the coach may have got a couple more to come out or moved up some 9th graders.

Last thing I heard they had lost one, maybe two conference games.  If they win district they'll play 3rd from NE (which I have no idea who that will be), if they are 2nd it will be 2nd from South (probably Jessieville) which should be a really good match.

I will be in Paris both days, whether or not we make the finals.

1-Adam-12

Paris will play Mansfield for 1/2 seed tomorrow. Booneville is 3 and Lavaca 4.

WPWells

I love volleyball! I'm disappointed Charleston didn't have it, so I didn't really go to many games when I was in high school, but I'd sometimes go watch one of my really good friends play for Lavaca. Now I really enjoy going to Arkansas volleyball games when I have a free night! If a game is ever streamed on the Internet please let me know because I'd love to watch and also get involved on this board!

1-Adam-12

Per Twitter:  Green Forest won the North with Alpena getting the 2 seed and Valley Springs the 3.

sevenof400

From the 3A Central last night (and with tonight's play still to come)...

1 seed Conway Christian
2 seed Atkins
3 seed Harding Academy
4 seed Conway St Joe

The 3 and 4 seeds had to play last night to advance to today's play.  Harding downed Nemo Vista to advance to play Atkins.
Conway St. Joe was playing Mayflower on the other court but I do not know the result. 

1-Adam-12

I decided not to go to Paris tonight, but I will keep up with Paris v Mansfield on Twitter.

WPWells

Whose Twitter can I follow to keep up with the game?

1-Adam-12

Valleysports

D-Dawg

3A Central District Tourney:
Conway Christian beat St. Joe 3-0, then beat Harding 3-0, to place 1st (Harding 2nd).  St. Joe and Atkins went 5 games - St. Joe pulled out the win for 3rd place.

1-Adam-12

So the bracket is complete...who's your final 4 and who wins it all?

I'll wait for some others to weigh in before I have my say.

unfaceable

I have Piggott, Mansfield, Paris, and Green Forest. I think the Green Forest/Walnut Ridge game could be interesting, but my guess is that Green Forest will get the win. In the end, I have Paris beating Piggott for the championship.

1-Adam-12

October 23, 2014, 10:47:44 pm #21 Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:18:43 pm by 1-Adam-12
Decided to totally revamp this post to give my Rd. 1 predictions.

Piggott vs. Lavaca--Lavaca has been playing very well lately. However I think Piggott will be too much for them.  Piggott in 3, maybe 4.

Episcopal vs. Valley Springs--Don't know a lot about either.  Been a couple of years since we played ECS, that year we beat them in 4.   When in doubt I will go with the higher seed.  ECS in 4.

Conway Christian vs. Hoxie--Central conference is historically not very strong, but CC is building a bit of a tradition. Hoxie I don't know a whole lot about but the NE seems to be a better conference than Central. Hoxie in 4, maybe 5.

Alpena vs. Mansfield--The two time defending champs go in as a 2 seed against another program that has some tradition.  This could be a good match.  I'm taking Mansfield in 4, but all could be close.

Paris vs. Marianna (Lee County)--Trojans drop in from 4A where they have made the state tournament regularly, but they seem to be on a downturn. Paris has something to prove, and they should roll.  Paris in 3.

Harding Acad. vs. Jessieville--J'ville seems to be a team on the rise.  They have been playing quite well, made a good showing at Paris tournament.  Harding Academy from what I hear is nowhere near the team that made a good run a couple of years ago. Still should be a good match. J'ville in 4 or 5.

Green Forest vs. St. Joseph's--GF is back to winning conference championships like they have in the past. St. Josephs also is historically not bad, but I am going to go with the higher seed, Green Forest in 3.  These may be close games though.

Walnut Ridge vs. Booneville--This may be the best match of the day.  Ridge (from what I've read) and Booneville (from what I've seen) seem to be mirror images of one another. This one could go either way. Being that I'm from where I'm from, I will go with Booneville learning their lesson from last season's tough 5-set loss to Pea Ridge in 4A state and winning a close match. Booneville in 5.

WPWells

I'll take:

Lavaca
ECS
Conway Christian
Mansfield
Paris
Harding Academy
Green Forest
Booneville

WFFAN74

I think Piggott will take Lavaca. West Fork had Katie Griffin on their team last year, she led them to state, played Piggott in the first round and lost in 5. Griffin had 26 kills that game and West Fork still lost. Lavaca doesn't have that caliber of talent this year, so Piggot in 4 is my guess...

1-Adam-12

Winners so far:

Piggott in 3
ECS in 4
Mansfield in 3
Conway Christian in 4

1-Adam-12

Paris in 4
Jessieville in 3
Walnut Ridge in 3
Green Forest in 4

I way underestimated Walnut Ridge. Talented bunch with great defensive skills. Never let us get in a rhythm.

That will do it for me here. I will let others bring it home.

Valleysports

1-Adam-12

Quote from: Valleysports on October 29, 2014, 08:12:07 am
Your girl a Sophomore 1-Adama-12?

My girls are the whole team. No kids of my own. Just love the sport.

Two of our starters (one setter and OH) this year were sophs. We lose two OH and a DS plus three role players. But we have a good 9th grade class coming that won 19 matches and most of them will be in JO this winter.  Future looks bright.

1-Adam-12

Semifinals are Piggott vs. Mansfield and Paris vs. Walnut Ridge. 

WPWells

1-Adam-12

October 30, 2014, 09:23:55 am #30 Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:16:10 pm by 1-Adam-12
1-2 in West vs. 1-2 in NE.

Did not get to see Piggott play but know that West 4 seed Lavaca took them to 22 in one of their games and another went 27-25.  Mansfield is a little down from where they were but are still very good.

Paris and WR could be a humdinger. WR is very sound defensively but Paris has some great hitters.

Any one of the 4 possible finals matchups would not surprise me.  But being from the West would like to see it be Mansfield-Paris Part III in the finals.

1-Adam-12

1-Adam-12

Paris wins in 3 close ones! 26-24 25-22 25-23.

Paris and Mansfield, third year in a row. West is Best!

1-Adam-12

October 31, 2014, 07:55:31 am #34 Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:41:51 am by 1-Adam-12
Mansfield made a good move by putting the big girl in the middle and switching last year's middle to outside.  That has got them a lot of mileage.

And making Cumbie a libero did them well too.  In fact IMO the three best small school liberos in the state are in the 3A West. McClung at Booneville and Highfield at Paris are the other two.  The one at Walnut Ridge impressed me as well.

1-Adam-12

November 01, 2014, 04:40:04 pm #35 Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:45:56 pm by 1-Adam-12
Holy schneikees! Mansfield did it again!

17-25 25-16 25-23 25-23.  A three-peat!

1-Adam-12

Few more notes, based on what I heard...

Paris dominated the first set, but they started making a lot of mistakes after that.  Mansfield was able to take advantage.

I will be honest, I had Paris winning it all the way. Did not think Mansfield could catch lightning again like they did at Paris Tourn.

Looking to next year, I still will rate Paris as a favorite.  Mitchell graduates but they will still have Peevy and the libero, Highfield. They also have a good jr. high class moving up that went 20-1 losing only to GW.

After what they were able to do this year, count Mansfield out at your own risk.  They lose a lot but still have the big blocker in the middle and I think their setter is back too.

Walnut Ridge showed me that they may be ready to make a move next season.  Very young yet very talented.  Booneville has a 2-time All-State libero and lots of other quality players returning and also has good jr. high talent coming in.  Jessieville is a team that is really coming on too.  Good setter and middle.

snowhawk16

lADY tIGERS HAD SUBS ON THE BENCH WHO COULD HAVE STARTED THIS YEAR. the new transfer outside hitter will be a great asset to their 4peat. THEY DID NOT CATCH LIGHTING AS MUCH AS PARIS GOT STRUCK BY IT.

sevenof400

Quote from: snowhawk16 on November 07, 2014, 08:00:40 pm
lADY tIGERS HAD SUBS ON THE BENCH WHO COULD HAVE STARTED THIS YEAR. the new transfer outside hitter will be a great asset to their 4peat. THEY DID NOT CATCH LIGHTING AS MUCH AS PARIS GOT STRUCK BY IT.

I can't say that I agree with this entirely - especially the last sentence - but take nothing away from Mansfield for their accomplishments. 

I think the tide turned in this match when the big hitter for Paris (#29 / is that Peevy?) went through a couple of spells where her timing was off and several points were lost of her hitting the ball into the net (a lot).  If Paris had another hitter who could have stepped in for Peevy while she gathered herself, this match might have had a different outcome. 

1-Adam-12

Yes, Peevy is #29.  She had a similar funk going on in the first match against Marianna which was a large part of them losing the first set.

TBH, I can't see, on paper, Mansfield winning another state title next year. It's a case of numbers. Lose several outstanding players and their jr. high didn't look to have a whole lot.  Booneville and especially Paris had some very good freshmen this year who next year will have a big impact. 

But I was wrong about Mansfield this year. We will see about next.  One thing's for sure, the 3A West is double-tough to get by.

snowhawk16

If MHS HAD ANOTHER BLOCKER. WE WOUJD NOT HAVE LOST THE FIRST SET. THREE PEAT IS WHAT IT IS'  WHO WILL BE THE NEXT TO DO THIS.

sevenof400

Quote from: snowhawk16 on November 09, 2014, 04:32:30 am
If MHS HAD ANOTHER BLOCKER. WE WOUJD NOT HAVE LOST THE FIRST SET. THREE PEAT IS WHAT IT IS'  WHO WILL BE THE NEXT TO DO THIS.

That reminds me of a couple of other observations about Mansfield.

Their tallest player (and I cannot remember her number) I thought did a fairly good job at blocking balls in the middle of the court but clearly she needs to improve her side to side quickness if she is to become a serious force. 

And for someone as tall as she is, she cannot hit the ball with any force at all.  Her skill set (at present) is definitely as a blocker.  Is this girl new to the game (perhaps a basketball player trying her hand at volleyball)? 

Now to be fair here, this is the first time I have seen Mansfield in about three years so it may have been a case of this girl just not playing her best on this particular day. 

1-Adam-12

November 09, 2014, 09:46:22 am #42 Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:59:21 am by 1-Adam-12
Seven, I can remember her playing at least last year.  Your observation on her side to side movement is correct.

Not having been in Hot Springs for the match I can't fairly assess her play in it.  She is a sophomore, so has time to improve.

IDK if she is going to be in JO, but it would do her a world of good as it did several of our girls.  JO turned one of our junior high middles from a decent player into a very good one in just one season.

Valleysports

Adam12, did you realize that the games were broadcast on the AAA website?

1-Adam-12

Yes but I was under the impression that you had to fork over money to watch it. If so I was not going to do that. 

Valleysports

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on November 09, 2014, 09:03:27 pm
Yes but I was under the impression that you had to fork over money to watch it. If so I was not going to do that.
I thought $7 was a great deal.  How much was the gate fee, after driving all the way to Hot Springs?

sevenof400

Quote from: Valleysports on November 09, 2014, 11:27:09 pm
Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on November 09, 2014, 09:03:27 pm
I thought $7 was a great deal.  How much was the gate fee, after driving all the way to Hot Springs?

$6, if I recall correctly.

1-Adam-12

And besides that, I also call our Little League football game over the PA at Bearcat Stadium. So I would not have been able to enjoy all of them.

Tigerblood07

Adam 12.  The tall girl in the middle, #22, is a Junior.  She played in the 8th grade and then went to Danville when her Dad got the Principal/AD job there.  Lived in Mansfield and drove back and forth.  This is her first year to play since then.  She did continue to get better throughout the year and continued to get more aggressive with kills. 

1-Adam-12

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas