• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Max Preps

Started by 3n2, September 02, 2016, 09:54:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3n2

I love the fact of the contract between Maxpreps and AAA.  It's a quick and easy option to view how teams and players are doing.  Apparently, a lot of coaches don't care anything about the volleyball fans.  Most won't post stats, I'm sure it's for the surprise factor.  ;D  The other side of the coin, who is keep the stats for the team, if they are being kept?  For an example:  Is a great serve that player receives and makes a good pass a Dig?  My understanding is no just a positive serve/receive.  Or if the receiver doesn't make a pass then its a R/E  receive error.  I guess my point here is,  I wish all coach staffs would use the Maxprep site and also do due diligent to make sure stats are awarded correctly.  No accusations here, just a fan who has time to breakdown and look at stats and win/loss records.  Something to ponder on this beautiful Friday.

Valleysports

Or just keep up with wins and losses, cause no one but mom/dad care.  Soon she'll be gone and it'll get harder and harder to even remember high school.  Although you just reminded me that I hate high school setter's!!!  :P

Vballfan

September 03, 2016, 09:11:28 pm #2 Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 10:35:19 pm by Vballfan
Quote from: 3n2 on September 02, 2016, 09:54:28 am
I love the fact of the contract between Maxpreps and AAA.  It's a quick and easy option to view how teams and players are doing.  Apparently, a lot of coaches don't care anything about the volleyball fans.  Most won't post stats, I'm sure it's for the surprise factor.  ;D  The other side of the coin, who is keep the stats for the team, if they are being kept?  For an example:  Is a great serve that player receives and makes a good pass a Dig?  My understanding is no just a positive serve/receive.  Or if the receiver doesn't make a pass then its a R/E  receive error.  I guess my point here is,  I wish all coach staffs would use the Maxprep site and also do due diligent to make sure stats are awarded correctly.  No accusations here, just a fan who has time to breakdown and look at stats and win/loss records.  Something to ponder on this beautiful Friday.

stats are very inconsistent accross classes as the competition is inconsistent and stat taking is  inconsistent but it would still be nice to see the effort of the kids tallied and recognized.  Perhaps parents are the only ones that care, but recognition follows from these things as well or doesn't follow if your coach doesn't know how or make the effort.

1-Adam-12

September 04, 2016, 07:59:18 am #3 Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 08:11:38 am by 1-Adam-12
My thing is not so much about stats as about rankings.

I don't think the rankings are relevant until after week 2, when most of the teams have started conference play. After that you can pretty well tell where a team will slot in.

Yes, there may be an unexpected result or two after that, but after the second and especially the third week, you can tell what teams will end up where across most conferences.

And, I think MP pays too much attention to a team's record, not who a team plays.  Shiloh is a case in point. 

Vballfan

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on September 04, 2016, 07:59:18 am
My thing is not so much about stats as about rankings.

I don't think the rankings are relevant until after week 2, when most of the teams have started conference play. After that you can pretty well tell where a team will slot in.

Yes, there may be an unexpected result or two after that, but after the second and especially the third week, you can tell what teams will end up where across most conferences.

And, I think MP pays too much attention to a team's record, not who a team plays.  Shiloh is a case in point.

True on rankings. AES does the same thing for club ball - some sort of algorithm that compares lots of results but it's all computer generated so surely plenty of exceptions.

GoldenArks

The stat error that gets me- I see many awarding a dig on a freeball.  That is NOT a dig.

moe99expedition

It is still a good resource (if tracked correctly) to see what is going on in other parts of country.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: GoldenArks on September 28, 2016, 09:26:26 am
The stat error that gets me- I see many awarding a dig on a freeball.  That is NOT a dig.

Nor should it be. It should only be awarded when the ball is attacked by the other team, not just passed over.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas