• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cabot Boys Open as Coach Bridges Retires

Started by Brian G, May 10, 2018, 05:20:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Should be a good destination job for someone.

AT

Quote from: B.G. on May 10, 2018, 05:20:43 pm
Should be a good destination job for someone.

He was a good one. I would expect some good applicants for this, too. He really built that program.

TheGovernor

Bridges was a legend . Whoever replaces him has big shoes to fill.

Brucewayne

Bridges was the right guy for that job and did an amazing job.  Whomever gets this job will need to have a vision for how to win in the toughest basketball league in the state.

CoachBobbyT

No way 7A Central is toughest bball conference!

Rocket23

Quote from: CoachBobbyT on May 17, 2018, 11:30:09 am
No way 7A Central is toughest bball conference!

And which one do you think is?

CoachBobbyT

Informant

I will be very shocked if Lee Wimberley is not hired to replace Bridges. 

CoachBobbyT

Informant

None taken.  Everyone has opinions.  I only say this because of his relationship with Bridges and his familiarity with Cabot.  He's a good coach and his kids work their tails off for him.  I know his knock is his lack of success in the state tournament.  Cabot should have their pick with who they want.  Bill Taylor & Scott Bowlin are two names that come to mind outside of Wimberley.  Micah Marsh would have been as well but he is back at Episcopal.

NWA Hawg

I just don't understand why Wimberly for every job?

Informant

Quote from: fann07 on May 21, 2018, 03:30:05 pm
I just don't understand why Wimberly for every job?

Every job? What job has he been associated with other than Cabot?  Someone said he applied for Star City but that was false.  He wouldn't leave Manila for anywhere other than Cabot.  He'll get an interview there I guarantee it. 

CoachBobbyT

Taylor or Bowlin would be bigger shocker than Wimberley.

CoachBobbyT

Also, tell me more about this interview guarantee. Who else is getting an interview?

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Informant on May 21, 2018, 03:54:05 pm
Every job? What job has he been associated with other than Cabot?  Someone said he applied for Star City but that was false.  He wouldn't leave Manila for anywhere other than Cabot.  He'll get an interview there I guarantee it.

Every good job that comes open someone posts how Wimberly would be a great hire. No one has yet to tell me why he is such a great coach.

Informant

Quote from: fann07 on May 21, 2018, 09:31:19 pm
Every good job that comes open someone posts how Wimberly would be a great hire. No one has yet to tell me why he is such a great coach.

I've seen one post about him being good for GCT but that job was never available.  Someone said Star City but that wasn't true.  Only other one I've heard his name with is this one. 

Everyone has their suggestions on what great is.  Some think Buster Campbell is great just because hes won a lot of games without winning anything really.  Some say Bobby Gross is great even though he acts like a child on the sideline and can only coach one aspect of the game while winning 1 title.  Wes Swift could be considered great but he also has had unbelievable atheltic talent over his career.  Johnny Taylor could be great but he clearly chases talent with as many jobs as hes had.  Brad Brannen has won what seems like 20 titles but his knock is "well its just 1A."  Hutchcraft recruits so he must not be great.  Bill Taylor gets arrested and wines so he must not be great either.  Middlebrooks had Austin Reaves score 100 ppg so he's not that good. 

My point is this... just because someone else or a group of people thinks a coach is great doesn't mean they are or are not.  For myself, if the players on your team play their tail off for you, want to play for you, enjoy being on your team, then you are a great coach.  Very few of those guys in this state or anywhere for that matter. 

I personally think Wimberley is a great coach.  He's coach at 3A, 5A, 7A.  Won a couple regional titles at Manila.  Beaten some good teams on the road at Manila.  All while not exactly having the flashiest, most dominate talent.  He would be an excellent choice to follow Bridges at Cabot.  You may not think so but some folks at Cabot do.  I dont know of anyone else interviewing or if Wimberley will be hired.  But he will interview and have a shot at the job.  And if offered, he will take it. 

Apologize for the rant.  No disrespect.  Just my opinion.     

TheGovernor

Very well said Informant. All coaches coach different and have success in various ways. It's all the eye of the beholder, but if kids play hard and you get the most out of what you have then I would consider that person a good coach.

Brian G

Heard there were 4 on original want list and at least 2 are still in play.

Informant

Cabot is interviewing this week.  Wimberley will be one with an interview.  Not sure on the other.  We should know something by next Tuesday at the latest on this. 

Stu the Pot

Quote from: Informant on May 23, 2018, 11:47:24 am
Cabot is interviewing this week.  Wimberley will be one with an interview.  Not sure on the other.  We should know something by next Tuesday at the latest on this.
Tuesday? So who all has interviewed? Do tell...

Stu the Pot

Quote from: Informant on May 22, 2018, 11:16:47 am
I've seen one post about him being good for GCT but that job was never available.  Someone said Star City but that wasn't true.  Only other one I've heard his name with is this one. 

Everyone has their suggestions on what great is.  Some think Buster Campbell is great just because hes won a lot of games without winning anything really.  Some say Bobby Gross is great even though he acts like a child on the sideline and can only coach one aspect of the game while winning 1 title.  Wes Swift could be considered great but he also has had unbelievable atheltic talent over his career.  Johnny Taylor could be great but he clearly chases talent with as many jobs as hes had.  Brad Brannen has won what seems like 20 titles but his knock is "well its just 1A."  Hutchcraft recruits so he must not be great.  Bill Taylor gets arrested and wines so he must not be great either.  Middlebrooks had Austin Reaves score 100 ppg so he's not that good. 

My point is this... just because someone else or a group of people thinks a coach is great doesn't mean they are or are not.  For myself, if the players on your team play their tail off for you, want to play for you, enjoy being on your team, then you are a great coach.  Very few of those guys in this state or anywhere for that matter. 

I personally think Wimberley is a great coach.  He's coach at 3A, 5A, 7A.  Won a couple regional titles at Manila.  Beaten some good teams on the road at Manila.  All while not exactly having the flashiest, most dominate talent.  He would be an excellent choice to follow Bridges at Cabot.  You may not think so but some folks at Cabot do.  I dont know of anyone else interviewing or if Wimberley will be hired.  But he will interview and have a shot at the job.  And if offered, he will take it. 

Apologize for the rant.  No disrespect.  Just my opinion.   

Just curious since you seem to be in the know...any truth to the rumor that Wimberley is interested in Vilonia?

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Stu the Pot on May 24, 2018, 09:40:00 pm
Just curious since you seem to be in the know...any truth to the rumor that Wimberley is interested in Vilonia?

I was wandering the same thing. If he is interested in Vilonia they better snatch him up. He's a great coach that every school should want!!

OC

May 25, 2018, 09:32:33 pm #22 Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 10:15:46 am by OC
This is Wimberley, I love my job at Manila. Cabot is an incredible job for anyone but so is Manila. Fann07, I ask the same question all the time. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️ Since I have been at Manila, I have applied for 3 jobs......that's over 6 years.

godeep

Some jobs you need a ring before you even throw your resume on the table. Cabot isn't one of those. Informant you ridicule all those other coaches for being successful. Be fair and balance on why Wimberley isn't in the "ring" club?

Informant

Quote from: godeep on May 30, 2018, 01:09:42 pm
Some jobs you need a ring before you even throw your resume on the table. Cabot isn't one of those. Informant you ridicule all those other coaches for being successful. Be fair and balance on why Wimberley isn't in the "ring" club?

I don't even know where to begin with this absurd post.  I'll start with your first sentence. It's false. There are some coaches with rings that have truly earned them. There are others that walked into a good situation and made the best of it.  If there is a school district that you need a ring to apply, that school doesn't deserve a great coach. Winning a ring is always the goal and a great accomplishment, but winning doesn't mean you're great or put you in a special club with ring only schools.

Secondly, I didn't ridicule anyone. Perhaps you didn't understand what I was saying and formed a quick opinion. I was proving a point on what some people consider great and how some just try to find holes in a resume. Every coach mentioned has their own level of greatness that has gotten them to where they are.

Third, as I said before you don't have to have a ring to be successful or need one to be considered great. Wimberley hasn't won a ring YET because he hasn't. There isn't one reason why or some special equation that would ever explain why he, or any coach, hasn't won a ring.  Maybe his talent isn't always up to par with the rest. Maybe a player hit a half court shot. Maybe his players got bright eyes in a big game. Maybe injuries prevented his teams from winning. Anything can happen.

The "Ring club" has some great members and some lucky ones. The "Non Ring Club" has equally great members and even lucky ones there also.

I hope this helps you better understand the subject.

Stu the Pot

Quote from: Informant on May 30, 2018, 07:47:23 pm
I don't even know where to begin with this absurd post.  I'll start with your first sentence. It's false. There are some coaches with rings that have truly earned them. There are others that walked into a good situation and made the best of it.  If there is a school district that you need a ring to apply, that school doesn't deserve a great coach. Winning a ring is always the goal and a great accomplishment, but winning doesn't mean you're great or put you in a special club with ring only schools.

Secondly, I didn't ridicule anyone. Perhaps you didn't understand what I was saying and formed a quick opinion. I was proving a point on what some people consider great and how some just try to find holes in a resume. Every coach mentioned has their own level of greatness that has gotten them to where they are.

Third, as I said before you don't have to have a ring to be successful or need one to be considered great. Wimberley hasn't won a ring YET because he hasn't. There isn't one reason why or some special equation that would ever explain why he, or any coach, hasn't won a ring.  Maybe his talent isn't always up to par with the rest. Maybe a player hit a half court shot. Maybe his players got bright eyes in a big game. Maybe injuries prevented his teams from winning. Anything can happen.

The "Ring club" has some great members and some lucky ones. The "Non Ring Club" has equally great members and even lucky ones there also.

I hope this helps you better understand the subject.

I hear Cabot just contacted Brad Stevens agent...

CoachBobbyT

Brian G

Hearing it's going to be Chris Meseke.

OC

It won't be Wimberley. Also, can't afford an agent, I need a new car. Y'all have a great year, I'm going back on my Fearless Friday fasting. Y'all enjoy and come out and  watch the Lions sometime if you're in the area. They are great kids who play their guts out and usually a fun team to watch. ✌🏼✌🏼✌🏼🏀🏀

rammer

Chris Meseke has been announced as the new head basketball coach by the Cabot Panthers.

CoachBobbyT

Informant has been shocked into silence!

Informant

Why should I be shocked? I was right about everything I said.  I said he'd get an interview, and he did. Never said he would get the job. Said he'd be a great hire for them, and he would have been.  What is there to be shocked about? 

CoachBobbyT

Quote from: Informant on May 18, 2018, 03:16:39 pm
I will be very shocked if Lee Wimberley is not hired to replace Bridges.

You literally said you would be very shocked! Your words.

Informant

Then shocked I am... my apologies.

However, never silent.

Best of luck to Cabot and their new staff.

beaverfan007

Just saw where Cabot has hired coach Chris meseske from malvern he is a great coach and a winner...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas