• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2A-3 District @ EPC Lepanto,AR

Started by redrider30, February 18, 2015, 10:54:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redrider30

If you have any updates or scores please post here.

redrider30

Games at 2A-3 cancelled for tonight. May have trouble getting this tournament in. Bad weather again predicted for Friday.

redrider30

I wonder if anyone has thought of just trying to play the first two rounds and then seeding teams for regional by their conference records. If you don't play two games in one day it will take a least 4 days. We are there already assuming the bad weather and couldn't play Friday.

RedWolf275

That weather late in the week is freezing rain which could be power outages. How about total cancellation and take top four seeds to region.

redrider30

Don't think Riverside, Marked Tree or even Rector boys teams would be very willing to vote to end there seasons. Playing first two rounds would at least give everyone a shot. For my teams your idea sounds great. Marmaduke girls #1 and boys are #4.

bdubyab60

Even if they did that your still at the possibility of regionals getting pushed back as well.

redrider30

Only takes 2 nights to play first two rounds.  Only one day where you could combine 1st round of regional unless you want to play finals the Monday before state starts on Tuesday. We did that in 2013 but who knows what the weather will be by then may have more problems.

Donnie Jamon

redrider30

If you play 1st round on Thursday, 2nd round Saturday if weather bad on Friday this means the #1 and #2 seeds will have been off for 10 days and then have to play 5 out of 6 days next week. Then get possibly 2 days off and play 3 out of 5 days at the state. Wow!

redrider30

AAA should step in these cases. Teams in the north shouldn't be punished because of the weather and that's just what could happen with a lot of teams playing a bunch of games in a few days while the teams in the south are on normal schedules and normal rest.

RedWolf275

Quote from: redrider30 on February 18, 2015, 11:36:55 am
Don't think Riverside, Marked Tree or even Rector boys teams would be very willing to vote to end there seasons. Playing first two rounds would at least give everyone a shot. For my teams your idea sounds great. Marmaduke girls #1 and boys are #4.

I'll use the same argument that some tried to use in the forfiet gate drama last week. There logic was if Riverside wanted to be the 5 seed instead of 6 seed, they should have won more conference games. Same thing here. Should have played there way into top 4. 5-6-7a classifications send top 4 to state every year. I personally do not understand why they are not playing today but sometimes you do what you have to do.

redrider30

I wonder if some schools have rule about not playing if school is out. Last year we were needing to play our last conference game against Rector girls and highways were clear but Rector said they couldn't play because they had rule where if they didn't have school they couldn't play, Marmaduke has no such rule.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

February 18, 2015, 12:36:31 pm #12 Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:24:15 pm by pick_DA_EAGLES
Quote from: redrider30 on February 18, 2015, 11:47:59 am
AAA should step in these cases. Teams in the north shouldn't be punished because of the weather and that's just what could happen with a lot of teams playing a bunch of games in a few days while the teams in the south are on normal schedules and normal rest.

It's not just "teams in the north", the central part isn't hasn't been playing either.

RedWolf275

If you have only one school holding up the whole tournament at some point I would say move on without them. Obviously it is one or two stopping the process.

MikelB

Quote from: RedWolf275 on February 18, 2015, 12:10:32 pm
Quote from: redrider30 on February 18, 2015, 11:36:55 am

I'll use the same argument that some tried to use in the forfiet gate drama last week. There logic was if Riverside wanted to be the 5 seed instead of 6 seed, they should have won more conference games. Same thing here. Should have played there way into top 4. 5-6-7a classifications send top 4 to state every year. I personally do not understand why they are not playing today but sometimes you do what you have to do.

It's my understanding that Superintendent Williams at EPC made the decision to cancel...I personally think he made the call to early because the sun has really melted alot of ice today. They could have started at 12:30 like some other districts and played at least 3 or 4 games today.

RedWolf275

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on February 18, 2015, 12:36:31 pm

It's not just "teams in the north", the central part isn't playing either.

I thought the 5 and 6 were playing today

BoxNOne

Wow! This is extremely surprising news that 2a3 is called off today. I just drove from Paragould to Trumann and those non main highways are as clear as can be. With the Thursday night Friday forecast, this looks like a very bad decision to me, whoever made it.

Head Lion

If you take the top 4 in 3A3, it would really put the screws to Osceola who used ineligible player. It then tried to finish last to stay on other side of bracket from Rivercrest. I probably wouldn't sleep at all tonight worrying about that. ;D 8) ;)

MomaLion

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: RedWolf275 on February 18, 2015, 01:02:59 pm
Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on February 18, 2015, 12:36:31 pm

It's not just "teams in the north", the central part isn't hasn't been playing either.

I thought the 5 and 6 were playing today

Sorry, I fixed it. Lol, didn't know at the time we were playing tonight or not, since nobody went to school

BoxNOne

According to the 4a site the district at Cave City is playing at this moment. Both Gosnell teams play today. That has to be a 100 mile trip one way into the hills. Seems strange we can't play at Lepanto.

MikelB

Quote from: BoxNOne on February 18, 2015, 01:35:48 pm
According to the 4a site the district at Cave City is playing at this moment. Both Gosnell teams play today. That has to be a 100 mile trip one way into the hills. Seems strange we can't play at Lepanto.

Agree, made the trip from Lepanto to Jonesboro with no problems today and steady melting.

redrider30

Maybe EPC Supt. does not have access to weather forecast. Today may have been best chance to play until Saturday night. If they can play at Cave City we could have played in Lepanto. Then again maybe he went out and couldn't get to the top of Mt. Lepanto because of the slick roads.

BoxNOne

Could be Redrider. I've always thought this district was pretty flat. Little hills Paragould north but not like Cave City.

bdubyab60

yeah but let one bus load of kids get flipped upside down in a ditch and see what we would say about EPC's super. You would all be yelling that they should have called it off.

The games will eventually be played

redrider30

We've got hills they are bad but highways are clear.

redrider30

Games maybe played eventually but we have had the #1 ranked girls team all year and because of todays decision we will have to probably play 5 out 6 days next week all on the road. I agree not playing if highways had anything on them but the ones I have been on are clear and I can't imagine it is worse down there. I'm wondering if they did any work on there parking areas yesterday. If not that might be the problem.

RedWolf275

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 18, 2015, 01:48:09 pm
yeah but let one bus load of kids get flipped upside down in a ditch and see what we would say about EPC's super. You would all be yelling that they should have called it off.

[/quote

Bad driving would be the cause. Highways are clear.

bdubyab60

Quote from: redrider30 on February 18, 2015, 01:50:31 pm
I dont know about your kids but a lot of ours live out of town and down gravel roads and those arent clear.

MikelB

bdub they may not get played if the forecast holds true, or at least not if they don't push regional back.  I do understand the need to "cya" though.

bdubyab60

Quote from: RedWolf275 on February 18, 2015, 01:56:10 pm

[/quote

Bad driving would be the cause. Highways are clear.
Yeah clear now and wet. Whats the temp supposed to get to weather guys. Supposed to get down to like 1 degree tonight. What happens to water at that temp. Oh yeah it turns to ice. Getting to the game may not be a problem. Getting home another

redrider30

This idea of pushing regional back is not to realistic with only the Monday before State starts being only date available. Only thing is if AAA steps in and moves State back also like they did last year.

bdubyab60

Quote from: MikelB on February 18, 2015, 01:58:06 pm

bdub they may not get played if the forecast holds true, or at least not if they don't push regional back.  I do understand the need to "cya" though.
They will push back if needed.

redrider30

You have a lot more faith in AAA than I do. Does anyone know if there is a rule against playing on Sunday's? I know it is not ideal but just wondering if there is actually a rule against it.

BoxNOne

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 18, 2015, 01:57:41 pm
Quote from: redrider30 on February 18, 2015, 01:50:31 pm
I dont know about your kids but a lot of ours live out of town and down gravel roads and those arent clear.

Bdub If we wait on gravel roads we definitely won't play till next week, especially with the forecast. Do I think we should have played? 100%. however I am not blaming EPC Super not knowing all the facts. He has other schools to deal with as well. Could be one school holding everyone else up.

redrider30

February 18, 2015, 02:06:04 pm #35 Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:18:59 pm by redrider30
The year of the big ice storm we played Jr. High district tournament at Cross Co. semi's and finals were same day. Would rather do that than play 5 out of 6 days next week.

redrider30

Not knowing it's hard to blame him but he's apparently in charge. Are all the other districts starting today? If we wait on our gravel roads we may not play until April the way they look. Lol.

redrider30

February 18, 2015, 02:32:19 pm #37 Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:38:30 pm by redrider30
Noticed on 1A forum that they are even playing at ICC today. Maybe Rector's rule that they can't play if they don't have school has everybody held up. At least that's the rule they had last year when they didn't want to play.

BoxNOne

ICC is as "in the middle of nowhere" and sitting squarely in tall hills as you can get. If it is this no school no play thing, the district needs to address that issue. That's ok during the season when makeup dates are possible but makes no senses in post season with time constraints an issue.

bdubyab60

bdubyab60

But we knew around 8 last night that there wouldn't be school today.

MikelB

February 18, 2015, 03:27:51 pm #41 Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:50:17 pm by MikelB
Quote from: BoxNOne on February 18, 2015, 02:50:14 pm
ICC is as "in the middle of nowhere" and sitting squarely in tall hills as you can get. If it is this no school no play thing, the district needs to address that issue. That's ok during the season when makeup dates are possible but makes no senses in post season with time constraints an issue.

If Rector is the hold up just move their games and play the others. Should have at least got some games in today.

redrider30

Can't move them both teams have to play 1st round games. You can't play 2nd until you play 1st round.

redrider30

Tournament will start tommorow at 1:00.

BoxNOne

Looks like a best case scenario is for finals to be Tuesday. This allows for no games Friday or Sunday. That Friday forecast looks mean to me. Hope there are no power outages.

NoPlace2

Roads around ICC were fine today except for back (gravel roads) - I live in Horseshoe Bend and we drove to Tuckerman & back this afternoon for My son's game (Salem) in 2a-2 - No Problems!

BoxNOne

February 18, 2015, 09:35:01 pm #46 Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:37:01 pm by BoxNOne
I think the 2a3 missed the boat today but as they say "it is what it is" and we will go from here.

ISU7

Quote from: RedWolf275 on February 18, 2015, 11:24:18 am
That weather late in the week is freezing rain which could be power outages. How about total cancellation and take top four seeds to region.
Its not suppose to be as bad as Sunday night was..

ISU7

Quote from: BoxNOne on February 18, 2015, 01:09:03 pm
Wow! This is extremely surprising news that 2a3 is called off today. I just drove from Paragould to Trumann and those non main highways are as clear as can be. With the Thursday night Friday forecast, this looks like a very bad decision to me, whoever made it.
Did you ever think it would freeze back up in some area. SAFETY FIRST... basketball is just a game... 8)

BoxNOne

Quote from: ISU7 on February 19, 2015, 12:41:30 am
Quote from: BoxNOne on February 18, 2015, 01:09:03 pm
Did you ever think it would freeze back up in some area. SAFETY FIRST... basketball is just a game... 8)

Nah, I didn't know it would do that. Thanks for enlightening me with your knowledge. Must be different at Tuckerman, Cave City, Brockwell or Melbourne.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas