• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who's bidding on state this year?

Started by biglion1985, December 15, 2018, 04:38:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

501Arkansas

Of course the ones that doesn't want to travel will have something to say about Osceola shouldn't host the state tournament lol. Our new arena  looks pretty good and has 1800 seats. I don't see anything wrong with us hosting this one and many more. Just my opinion. Everytime we make the tournament we have a long drive to and back home. Last year to Monticello it was almost 4hr drive, 2016 was 3 1/2 hr drive to Jessieville and a few more I forgot the other ones. Come on out to NEA. I know our athletic director will be in Little Rock next Thursday for a metting about hosting the tournament. We'll see if we will get it. If DC got it I don't see why Osceola shouldn't get it

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: 501Arkansas on January 05, 2019, 09:20:45 am
Of course the ones that doesn't want to travel will have something to say about Osceola shouldn't host the state tournament lol. Our new arena  looks pretty good and has 1800 seats. I don't see anything wrong with us hosting this one and many more. Just my opinion. Everytime we make the tournament we have a long drive to and back home. Last year to Monticello it was almost 4hr drive, 2016 was 3 1/2 hr drive to Jessieville and a few more I forgot the other ones. Come on out to NEA. I know our athletic director will be in Little Rock next Thursday for a metting about hosting the tournament. We'll see if we will get it. If DC got it I don't see why Osceola shouldn't get it
Takes a lot of volunteers to run a tournament. Will you work every day of the tournament?

lostintheweeds

Quote from: 501Arkansas on January 05, 2019, 09:20:45 am

I'm admittedly one of the ones that would prefer to get at least one year of my kids' high school years on the west side of the state.  Nothing personal against Osceola at all.  But after back to back trips to Bald Knob and Monticello, can the west side get even 1 year out of 3?

501Arkansas

Quote from: Oldman on January 05, 2019, 09:31:15 am
Takes a lot of volunteers to run a tournament. Will you work every day of the tournament?
Sure why not?

Longfellow

My point is that, per google maps, Osceola is literally closer to Illinois than it is to most of the schools that are listed on the mid season rankings thread. I don't necessarily want TR to get it because that means a loooooot of work for me, but they should really try to choose a more central location. A lot of the schools have at least a 3.5 hour drive. Some as much as 5 hours

baller334

I agree that it should be centrally located but if teams have to drive all the way south to Monticello one year then it needs to be in the other part of the state the next year. My complaint is still with DC last year and how small the lobby was and how unorganized it was.  I believe with Osceola having a new facility and never hosting it they will be over the top in everything.

Longfellow

My big problem with TR is how the lobbies are built. Plenty of room and a bigger concession stand upstairs but the main gym entrance is downstairs and tiny

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Longfellow on January 05, 2019, 12:39:55 pm
My big problem with TR is how the lobbies are built. Plenty of room and a bigger concession stand upstairs but the main gym entrance is downstairs and tiny

Yeah....Its like they got the gym built and realized they forgot to build the lobby, and added it as an afterthought

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on January 05, 2019, 03:45:47 am
How does having the tournament in Osceola make any sense whatsoever?

They'll be able to fully focus on hosting after they get bounced in the 1st round of regionals....

501Arkansas

Quote from: beach bum on January 05, 2019, 02:57:34 pm

They'll be able to fully focus on hosting after they get bounced in the 1st round of regionals....
😂😂😂😂

biglion1985

501 there are some comedians on here

501Arkansas

biglion1985

ISU7

Quote from: Head Lion on January 04, 2019, 07:36:45 pm
Osceola superintendent just announced at grand opening, they would be hosting state tournament.🤔🤔🤔 I didn't think they had the meeting yet?
He was with the AAA for 9 years so there you have it.

ISU7

January 07, 2019, 12:53:52 pm #64 Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:03:52 pm by ISU7
Quote from: Longfellow on January 05, 2019, 03:45:47 am
How does having the tournament in Osceola make any sense whatsoever?
The same sense it made having it at all the other different sites in the Central, Southeast, southwest, west ,and Northwest  parts of Arkansas. Now that a NE Arkansas team has a chance to host it nobody wanna drive lol. As far as Osceola being closer to Illinois what about the schools close to Louisiana , Oklahoma, and Texas.  ;D 8)

ISU7

Quote from: Head Lion on January 05, 2019, 06:01:27 am
Bout like Drew Central but a million times better gym. Both in the corners of the state. Osceola is great for me. The only burr in my saddle is their AAA voting member did not support Manila getting it last year & extremely hurt both our teams. He did this for payback votes for them to have it this year. I felt like he should have supported the school in his conference as well as the same county. 🤷🏼‍♂️
+1 Not surprised HL.....

bootlegger

Quote from: ISU7 on January 07, 2019, 12:53:52 pm
The same sense it made having it at all the other different sites in the Central, Southeast, southwest, west ,and Northeast parts of Arkansas.  ;D 8)
I agree ISU7 I have driven all over the state for the past several years and most of the time it has been every where but in the north east corner of the state.So being in Osceola will be a great for all the fans from Mississippi county

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: bootlegger on January 07, 2019, 01:05:04 pm
I agree ISU7 I have driven all over the state for the past several years and most of the time it has been every where but in the north east corner of the state.So being in Osceola will be a great for all the fans from Mississippi county
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnd eliminates Osceola getting cheated. #NOEXCUSES

Head Lion

Quote from: ISU7 on January 07, 2019, 12:53:52 pm
The same sense it made having it at all the other different sites in the Central, Southeast, southwest, west ,and Northwest  parts of Arkansas. Now that a NE Arkansas team has a chance to host it nobody wanna drive lol. As far as Osceola being closer to Illinois what about the schools close to Louisiana , Oklahoma, and Texas.  ;D 8)
Monticello is like 50 miles from La & Osceola is 115 from Illinois learn your geography.

baller334

biglion1985

I mean what is the problem exactly with a school in Northeast Arkansas that has a chance to host it over say for instance Charleston a few years back and not knocking Charleston

ISU7

Quote from: Head Lion on January 07, 2019, 02:14:57 pm
Monticello is like 50 miles from La & Osceola is 115 from Illinois learn your geography.
Exactly head Lion  ;D ;D

RedWolf275

I will be pulling for Osceola come Thursday. It's about an hour drive from Jonesboro!

Head Lion

Quote from: ISU7 on January 07, 2019, 02:39:10 pm
Exactly head Lion  ;D ;D
maybe Lions, Noles & Colts could get a little of that home cooking grease that was going on in a barn 50 miles from Louisiana???🤷🏼‍♂️

3 Dollar

I believe Osceola was the only bid for State

teachers pet

January 08, 2019, 06:42:50 pm #75 Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 07:03:44 pm by teachers pet
So no one bid for Region 2, interesting.
Osceola was the only bid for state.

Mulerider4Life

We just need to have it in the capital city every year at like UALR or something. Best places for hotels, restaurants, and fair driving distances.

baller334

Quote from: 3 Dollar on January 07, 2019, 04:32:26 pm
I believe Osceola was the only bid for State

Confirmed, looks like State is headed to Seminole Country

hsindian

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on January 09, 2019, 08:00:48 am
We just need to have it in the capital city every year at like UALR or something. Best places for hotels, restaurants, and fair driving distances.
UALR doesn't want to mess with it, neither does any of the other universities or colleges in the state.

OB11

Quote from: hsindian on January 09, 2019, 08:59:31 am
UALR doesn't want to mess with it, neither does any of the other universities or colleges in the state.

Can't really blame them when the AAA gets all the $ from the tournaments.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: hsindian on January 09, 2019, 08:59:31 am

They why not have it at the Statehouse Convention Center? Or even Barton? (Yes, I know it's old.) Verizon I know is way to big for smaller classifications, but I could see them hosting 6A/7A. I just hate to see schools like Harrison, or El Dorado, or places like that host even though they have nice gyms, its just so far to drive for high school events for most.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on January 09, 2019, 09:12:23 am
They why not have it at the Statehouse Convention Center? Or even Barton? (Yes, I know it's old.) Verizon I know is way to big for smaller classifications, but I could see them hosting 6A/7A. I just hate to see schools like Harrison, or El Dorado, or places like that host even though they have nice gyms, its just so far to drive for high school events for most.
Who will pay the rent pay these places? Do you understand at all who gets the money on these things now?

RedWolf275

Quote from: baller334 on January 09, 2019, 08:42:36 am
Confirmed, looks like State is headed to Seminole Country

Good news for basketball loving Northeast Arkansas

teachers pet

Any hotels close by not in Missouri? lol

OB11

Quote from: teachers pet on January 09, 2019, 10:19:47 am

There are a couple right off the interstate heading into Osceola. Next closest place is Blytheville 20 or so minutes down the road.

Jimbo Morphis

Longfellow

Quote from: teachers pet on January 09, 2019, 10:19:47 am
I asked a friend from that area and he said don't stay in the hotels

hsindian

Quote from: Longfellow on January 09, 2019, 11:17:18 am
I asked a friend from that area and he said don't stay in the hotels
I'd probably stay in Marion or Blytheville

teachers pet

What do they do when no one bids on a region?

501Arkansas

Quote from: Oldman on January 09, 2019, 10:37:47 am
I'm staying at 501's house.
I have a extra home in Osceola for you old man lol I don't live in Osceola any more. But I do be back and fourth back home for sure.

501Arkansas

Well guess y'all come on to the NEA side of the state and enjoy some good basketball at Osceola as we will held the state tournament. Look forward to seeing everyone. Welcome to the big city of Osceola lol

LRRandy

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on January 09, 2019, 08:00:48 am
a nice new gym doesn't mean a town has the ability to handle an influx of people.

ISU7

Quote from: LRRandy on January 09, 2019, 05:46:54 pm
a nice new gym doesn't mean a town has the ability to handle an influx of people.
Whether the people show or not the games will go on. I'm sure the kids don't mind traveling to get out of school and stay overnight. To play in the state tournament is priceless.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: ISU7 on January 10, 2019, 02:25:47 am
Whether the people show or not the games will go on. I'm sure the kids don't mind traveling to get out of school and stay overnight. To play in the state tournament is priceless.

Ehh... but I see too many people where their climax of their lives is in high school. That kinda is a sucky life.

LRRandy

Quote from: ISU7 on January 10, 2019, 02:25:47 am
agree about the experience for the kids and coaches. I was commenting about the logic of having the state tournament at a location that might not have the number (much less the quality) of beds for all the players coaches and support staff that will need a place to stay for a few days. The parents among others that will want to go to games and may struggle to find lodging. Not sure about how many hotels are in the Osceola area but I will guess it's not many.

RedWolf275

Best I remember, there weren't many motels in Monticello either.

LRRandy

Quote from: RedWolf275 on January 10, 2019, 08:29:45 am
Best I remember, there weren't many motels in Monticello either.
when you are talking about the smaller classifications very few of the rural towns that host will have enough accommodations. I have enjoyed traveling to smaller towns for games. Seeing places I might not ever go to. I try to find out where the best local place to eat is, not a chain. Hosting the state tournament is great for local economies. It is an exciting event for the community. It just seems that having it centrally located every year would make more sense. I understand the northeast teams have traveled south and the south has traveled north. Instead of making it a very far trip for some teams why not meet in the middle so to speak, so it isn't such a long trip on a bus. Ashdown to Brookland or Pocahontas to Monticello is quite a trip for teams and fans. I see both sides. Personal bias also does play into my reasoning as I would go to the site and watch every game if they were closer. So there's that.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: LRRandy on January 10, 2019, 09:47:48 am
when you are talking about the smaller classifications very few of the rural towns that host will have enough accommodations. I have enjoyed traveling to smaller towns for games. Seeing places I might not ever go to. I try to find out where the best local place to eat is, not a chain. Hosting the state tournament is great for local economies. It is an exciting event for the community. It just seems that having it centrally located every year would make more sense. I understand the northeast teams have traveled south and the south has traveled north. Instead of making it a very far trip for some teams why not meet in the middle so to speak, so it isn't such a long trip on a bus. Ashdown to Brookland or Pocahontas to Monticello is quite a trip for teams and fans. I see both sides. Personal bias also does play into my reasoning as I would go to the site and watch every game if they were closer. So there's that.

Exactly this needs to be done.

3 Dollar

Quote from: teachers pet on January 09, 2019, 11:28:51 am
What do they do when no one bids on a region?

The AAA has more than likely contacted a school/schools from that Region and asked them to host at the minimum bid until they get a taker!

teachers pet

With the lack of schools bidding, something needs to change with the AAA!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas