• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heading to Mother Rucker

Started by Kazimierz, September 18, 2016, 02:13:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kazimierz

Hey All,

I was selected to become either an Apache or Black Hawk pilot. So it looks like i'll get to take 15-18 months off from being an attorney and go fly helicopters.

Probably going to be Black Hawks since the active duty army is taking all of the Guard's Apaches... anyway, I was curious if anyone here had recent (or not) experiences at Fort Rucker. Since it is a PCS move, the family will be moving with me. Maybe in a couple years I'll be the one doing the flyover at some SEC stadium.

AirWarren

Awesome. Thanks for your service.

Kazimierz

Thanks for the support. I'm excited about having the opportunity to pilot the Black Hawk. It should be a good time...

I know we have some former service members on here so I thought I'd just reach out and see if anyone had any helicopter experience.

WPWells

No experience, so I can't actually answer any questions, but from the bottom of my heart, thank you for your service

cuckoobird

Quote from: Kazimierz on September 18, 2016, 05:09:19 pm
Thanks for the support. I'm excited about having the opportunity to pilot the Black Hawk. It should be a good time...

I know we have some former service members on here so I thought I'd just reach out and see if anyone had any helicopter experience.
just jumping out of them, I left the flying to smart guys

Kazimierz

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 20, 2016, 01:53:20 pm
just jumping out of them, I left the flying to smart guys

That's pretty cool... I think they will send me to Air Assault as a follow up school (so I know what the soldiers below the helicopter are doing when they hook up a load). Maybe I'll get to rappel then... but that's probably it for me. I doubt the National Guard has the extra cash to send me to Airborne school. Thanks.

Kazimierz

Just a quick update for anyone that is interested...

I just finished my night vision check ride in the Blackhawk. I'm now qualified to pilot the LUH-72 Lakota and the UH-60 Blackhawk. Graduation is in a few weeks and then it is back home. It's been an awesome adventure and I'm happy to explain any of it if someone is interested in pursuing this route (OCS/Flight School/Military in General).

I was bored behind a desk and didn't want to regret not being in the military. So at the ripe old age of 30 I enlisted, went through Basic Combat Training, Officer Candidate School, and Army Flight School. It took a lot of time but it has been an incredible experience.

Other than being surrounded by Bama and Auburn fans, lower Alabama hasn't been too bad either... only 80 miles from Destin/PCB and 30A.

beach bum

Quote from: Kazimierz on January 18, 2018, 11:07:42 am

I just finished my night vision check ride in the Blackhawk. I'm now qualified to pilot the LUH-72 Lakota and the UH-60 Blackhawk. Graduation is in a few weeks and then it is back home. It's been an awesome adventure and I'm happy to explain any of it if someone is interested in pursuing this route (OCS/Flight School/Military in General).

I was bored behind a desk and didn't want to regret not being in the military. So at the ripe old age of 30 I enlisted, went through Basic Combat Training, Officer Candidate School, and Army Flight School. It took a lot of time but it has been an incredible experience.

Other than being surrounded by Bama and Auburn fans, lower Alabama hasn't been too bad either... only 80 miles from Destin/PCB and 30A.

I really love this attitude in life... No matter where you are in life go for what your ultimate goal is and take a risk no matter what. I hope all goes well for you moving forward.

Kazimierz

Quote from: beach bum on January 18, 2018, 12:55:57 pm
I really love this attitude in life... No matter where you are in life go for what your ultimate goal is and take a risk no matter what. I hope all goes well for you moving forward.

Thanks, I'm about to go back to being an attorney again (which is pretty boring). But at least now I'm a pilot and get to fly enough to break up the monotony. The flight pay ain't bad either.

Everybody has to do what is right for their family, but it's been a fun adventure. Glad I did it. I hope others do the same, whether it is traveling, changing careers, or doing something different like joining the military. Just remember that you only get one life down here on this rock... make it a fulfilling one.

Overdahill

Quote from: Kazimierz on January 18, 2018, 11:07:42 am

Very proud of you Kaz for choosing well. I had similar feelings about desk job early in my career but found out I would have to get ACL reconstruction surgery (from my last college football game) before officer candidate school would take me. I ended up sticking with the desk job but then later regretted not having the surgery and doing something that would have been more suited to me. I'm happy for you cause there will always be time for a desk job in the future

AirWarren

Great story.

Thanks for the update.

Maynard G Krebs

Those black helicopter stories are beginning to make sense now.

Congrats & thanks!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas