• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morrilton at Greenbrier

Started by PA Dad, September 24, 2016, 03:22:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

September 24, 2016, 03:22:14 pm Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:37:10 pm by PA Dad
Are the Dogs as good as advertised?  Or will Greenbrier play like they did against LRCA last year?

This may be the game of the week.

The Dogs can't be looking ahead to the Alma game.  Greenbrier must find a way to score against a stingy Morrilton defense.

This should be a good game, but I give the edge to Morrilton.

the voice

The dogs travel to Greenbrier, it's wrong on some sites.

The devil dog offense is very balanced and difficult to defend. The defense is I think the most dominant of the Mcnabb era , this team plays very well together. It will be a tough game this week.

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on September 24, 2016, 03:41:22 pm
The dogs travel to Greenbrier, it's wrong on some sites.

The devil dog offense is very balanced and difficult to defend. The defense is I think the most dominant of the Mcnabb era , this team plays very well together. It will be a tough game this week.

Thanks for the correction.  I'll fix it.

Overdahill

PercussionMan

I don't see the officials bailing Greenbrier out this year like they did last year with 4-5 pass interference calls on the last drive. Actually, I'm hoping it won't be close enough for them to try that bull again....but, you just never know with a Burcham slinging the ball around for Greenbrier.

MoTownDog

This team looks a lot like the 2013 team just min the quarterbacks running threat. With that being said, they won't have any problems this week with greenbrier.  All the greenweirdians will be scratching their heads wondering what happened just like in 2013

PercussionMan

Quote from: MoTownDog on September 26, 2016, 05:03:15 pm
This team looks a lot like the 2013 team just min the quarterbacks running threat. With that being said, they won't have any problems this week with greenbrier.  All the greenweirdians will be scratching their heads wondering what happened just like in 2013

I've said the same thing....very similar to the 2013 team, except without the running QB.  I think Canady has developed into just as good of a passer as Hawkins became by the time he hit his senior season.  How do you think they compare in that regard??  I think the running backs for this team may be a shade better than 2013 (not taking anything away from Rhoades and Minor).  And, so far, the defense has looked better overall, especially in the secondary.  I just hope all of these things hold true throughout the season.  After these next two games, I think we will really know what kind of team we have overall.  I'm excited about the possibilities this season!!  GO DEVIL DOGS!!

Devil Dog 17

Quote from: PercussionMan on September 28, 2016, 08:32:17 am
I've said the same thing....very similar to the 2013 team, except without the running QB.  I think Canady has developed into just as good of a passer as Hawkins became by the time he hit his senior season.  How do you think they compare in that regard??  I think the running backs for this team may be a shade better than 2013 (not taking anything away from Rhoades and Minor).  And, so far, the defense has looked better overall, especially in the secondary.  I just hope all of these things hold true throughout the season.  After these next two games, I think we will really know what kind of team we have overall.  I'm excited about the possibilities this season!!  GO DEVIL DOGS!!
IMO Hawkins was a better runner. Canady is a better passer.  Hawkins was a duel threat, Canady is not. This years running backs are much better than in 2013.  I would give 2103 OL a slight edge, this years group is pretty young. I'm not getting into the debate of which Heidenreich is better, however I will say that I would take either one of them any day of the week. both are very competitive. that being said, I would give the edge to this years receivers.  We are deeper, and Duncan is impressive. 

Now Defensively, if you would have told me that this years defense would be as good or better than 2013, I would have called you a liar.  I was wrong.  The front 3, in 2013, or as they liked to be called "The Mixed Mofia" was as good as any front line defense I have ever seen at Morrilton.  This years line backers, and secondary are slightly better than 2013. 

That being said, I'm not saying the Dogs will win a state championship. There are a lot of factors that have to play out before that would happen.  Right now we just need to concentrate on finding away to beat a good Greenbrier team.

Youngsta71701

the voice

September 28, 2016, 01:45:39 pm #9 Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:12:52 pm by the voice
The star power rating goes to the 2013 team, speed , skill , and determination were on the field. The defensive line was unblockable by one blocker. Lots of skill guys who could make plays.  I disagree on linebackers being better. Colton Cooksey , Pavatt and blakley were all staters. The o line had issues as well but had a guy that made them better in Toney . 

What I will say about this group is how they play as a team in all three phases. These guys work together to find success. They are unselfish and it shows in their practice and games. To me that's what makes them dangerous. They are talented but they do what coaches always seek and that's play as a team. 

Maynard G Krebs

Conway County will have the bragging rights Friday night

HeberFan

Greenbrier goes down in this one.

Chip

Greenbrier has no chance, I hear this is the best team Morrilton has had since the early 70's.

Devil Dog 17

Quote from: the voice on September 28, 2016, 01:45:39 pm
The star power rating goes to the 2013 team, speed , skill , and determination were on the field. The defensive line was unblockable by one blocker. Lots of skill guys who could make plays.  I disagree on linebackers being better. Colton Cooksey , Pavatt and blakley were all staters. The o line had issues as well but had a guy that made them better in Toney . 

What I will say about this group is how they play as a team in all three phases. These guys work together to find success. They are unselfish and it shows in their practice and games. To me that's what makes them dangerous. They are talented but they do what coaches always seek and that's play as a team.
Voice, good call on the line backers, but you have to remember Pavatt and Blakely were sophmores, Cooksey was a machine. I still give a slight edge to this years group. This group of LB include 3 seniors, that's why I give them an edge. Fun to talk about.

the voice

Yes they were sophomores but they were all state sophomores. Look I know the seniors on this team very well , love em , great boys , they have exceeded expectations no doubt, Granberry is the one that had the highest total of tackles in those returning. But the group hasn't disappointed. This defense so far has been the most dominant of the Mcnabb era! How's that ?

razorhogs

Quote from: the voice on September 29, 2016, 01:34:36 pm
Yes they were sophomores but they were all state sophomores. Look I know the seniors on this team very well , love em , great boys , they have exceeded expectations no doubt, Granberry is the one that had the highest total of tackles in those returning. But the group hasn't disappointed. This defense so far has been the most dominant of the Mcnabb era! How's that ?
I have been a fan of Mcnabb since he was at Rville. Im glad he has had the success at Morrilton he has. He has a very good team this year from the looks of it and I will take the Devil Dogs over Greenbrier this year. They are fast, athletic and strong. As everyone has said their defense is stout and that can get you far.

PercussionMan

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on September 28, 2016, 12:37:15 pm
IMO Hawkins was a better runner. Canady is a better passer.  Hawkins was a duel threat, Canady is not. This years running backs are much better than in 2013.  I would give 2103 OL a slight edge, this years group is pretty young. I'm not getting into the debate of which Heidenreich is better, however I will say that I would take either one of them any day of the week. both are very competitive. that being said, I would give the edge to this years receivers.  We are deeper, and Duncan is impressive. 

Now Defensively, if you would have told me that this years defense would be as good or better than 2013, I would have called you a liar.  I was wrong.  The front 3, in 2013, or as they liked to be called "The Mixed Mofia" was as good as any front line defense I have ever seen at Morrilton.  This years line backers, and secondary are slightly better than 2013. 

That being said, I'm not saying the Dogs will win a state championship. There are a lot of factors that have to play out before that would happen.  Right now we just need to concentrate on finding away to beat a good Greenbrier team.

100% agree on the QB....Canady isn't much of a runner, and he usually makes me nervous if he tries to run even a little (not to take anything away from the kid....he has improved so much in so many areas and is a pretty good overall decision maker with good skill set). 

I agree with you about the OL and DL also.  I'm just glad our secondary has made great strides this year, as compared to some in the past. 

As far as Heidenreichs....geez, those guys are tough!!  Pound-for-pound, they've got to be some of the fastest and toughest kids on the field.  It's just ashamed we don't have more of them up and coming through the ranks!!

And, I agree....one game at a time....I want to think from all I have seen and heard about this team that they know that also and will take care of business with focus on each week as it comes.

PercussionMan

Quote from: the voice on September 29, 2016, 01:34:36 pm
This defense so far has been the most dominant of the Mcnabb era! How's that ?

Agreed!!  I hope this continues to be the case.

PercussionMan

Quote from: the voice on September 28, 2016, 01:45:39 pm

Exactly what we've been needing in Morrilton for a long time....for the team to play as a TEAM.  We've had so many teams in the past that lack that aspect.  These kids play for each other and for the team as a whole, and it shows on the field!!

the voice

There's some great senior leadership on the team. And they welcome the younger players who help them win.

PA Dad

This looks like a good game.  Greenbrier is making a comeback.

the voice

Game was on the verge of being over , dogs up 21-0 start of second qtr.  Morrilton muffs a punt around ten yard line, brier recovers and catches momentum. Burcham put team on his back and kept them in it. Dogs never trailed and rose up when needed. As I said it would be a fight it was. Next week is for the west crown.

Maynard G Krebs

bobcat81

Much, much closer than most had predicted.  Greenbrier has TD called back in 3rd qtr and can't get points from inside the 10.  Morrilton also has the ball inside the 10 and GB holds on downs.  Greenbrier has ball in 4th qtr trailing by 1 and fumbles.  After last Morrilton TD with around 2 minutes to go GB still gets close to midfield and just missed a completion or two to keep the drive going before turning over on downs to end the game.  Burcham needed a little more help from his receivers on a few of the passes.  He scrambled all night due to the Dogs rush, but made a lot out of it keeping GB in the game.  GB defense played well after the first quarter and a half.  Ended up being a great game.

the voice

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 30, 2016, 10:26:46 pm
Closer than I expected
Like I said throw the records out. Gonna be a brawl.

Go Postal

I was looking at Greenbrier's scoring.  It looked like they are still doing the 2 pt conv.  Can't they get any of their boys or girls soccer players to kick some PATs?  LOL!

bobcat81

Quote from: Go Postal on October 01, 2016, 12:19:34 am
I was looking at Greenbrier's scoring.  It looked like they are still doing the 2 pt conv.  Can't they get any of their boys or girls soccer players to kick some PATs?  LOL!
Actually the current kicker has been pretty good.  Something just seemed to be off and they missed two out of the first three PAT's, then went for two on the fourth TD. 

PercussionMan

I give credit to Greenbrier for not getting too rattled when they were down 21-0.  Morrilton, for some reason, at Greenbrier has problems putting their "foot on the throat" for the kill (led 21-0 last year as well before throwing an INT that Greenbrier scored their first points off of).  I realize that Greenbrier's defense started tightening up after they closed it to 21-13, but it seemed like Morrilton got very conservative in their play calling.  This game could have easily been about 42-13 or 42-21, but it was almost like they were "playing not to lose".  We all know what that does....it gets you beat!  Thankfully, that was not the end result last night.

Carter Burcham, just like we knew he would be, was very elusive at times and a pretty good passer....he's not Neal, but he's still very effective when he needs to be.  With some very fast/shifty skill players, Greenbrier should be fine from here out.  I would be highly surprised if they finished less than 3rd in the West.

All of that being said, I think both of these teams have the potential to finish the season strong and make some noise in the playoffs. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas